PDA

View Full Version : IBM makes play for 'next-generation Pixar'

MacBytes
Jul 24, 2003, 10:59 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: IBM makes play for 'next-generation Pixar' (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=711&ncid=1208&e=1&u=/usatoday/20030724/tc_usatoday/5350211)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

MacFan25
Jul 24, 2003, 11:04 AM
I definitley think there is a market for more computer-generated films. This competition could be good for Pixar - it could make them strive to make even better movies.

Mudbug
Jul 24, 2003, 11:09 AM
it would be interesting to see if their render farm is running 970 based machines or not... :)

Capt Underpants
Jul 24, 2003, 11:25 AM
I wonder how this would effect relations between Apple and IBM. Hopefully none.

RHutch
Jul 24, 2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Capt Underpants
I wonder how this would effect relations between Apple and IBM. Hopefully none.

That was my big concern too. I want to keep getting good improvement in chips from IBM.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 24, 2003, 01:38 PM
CPU power as a utility.....now that's cool. Use their render farm over the internet....

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what happens in their movie. Even the most complex movies still need to have a story, one thing Pixar does right. No matter how good the CG or animation, if the stories not there, it won't hold your attention for long.

D

AndrewMT
Jul 24, 2003, 03:17 PM
Grocery store items come to life? Isn't that a little like Toys coming to life? Come up with something original IBM.

Jerry Spoon
Jul 24, 2003, 04:35 PM
The reason Pixar's movies are so good is b/c of the storyline. The great animation is a bonus. Hope this new duo can create great story lines along w/ great visuals.

nuckinfutz
Jul 24, 2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by AndrewMT
Grocery store items come to life? Isn't that a little like Toys coming to life? Come up with something original IBM.

Or like Veggietales. I agree forget the techno babble it's about the quality of the movie.