PDA

View Full Version : powerbook MAC OS X 10.3 problems after reinstallation

imacbeth
Jul 19, 2007, 08:22 PM
Hi

I am a proud owner of a MAC powerbook G4 for just over 3 years now. It runs MAc OX 10.3. For the last two weeks i have been having issues. First it started to be very slow. Then it would not boot up and i got a blue screen. I ran the file system checks from the OS X and it complained about the volume being bad and said it could not be repaired. i decided to reinstall the whole thing and did a complete erase and install. IT booted up fine. The software updater asked permission to update which i agreed. After the update was over, the software updater had more updates. I guessed that it was probably giving me updates in the chronological order. During a particular update, it gave the blue screen and "please restart" ... and when i rebooted it did not come up... just a blue screen... i verified the filesystem using the diagnostic tool and it again said it was corrupt .... I have done this twice now and i have a feeling it happened when i was updating the same batch of software updates.... sometimes my software updater would crash everytime i launch it.....

ANy inputs would be appreciated... please tell me if u need more information...

mad jew
Jul 19, 2007, 09:04 PM
If it's corrupt that soon after a reformat then you've most likely got a failing drive. Sorry mate, you'll need to replace the hard drive.

imacbeth
Jul 19, 2007, 09:43 PM
thanks for the reply....i am beginning to suspect that myself... ofcourse i just hope the software updates have something to do with this ...corrupting parts of memory and things like that... guess its a long shot... just want to try stuff before i head to the MAc store...

mad jew
Jul 19, 2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I really doubt it mate. It just sounds like a typical bad drive. :(