PDA

View Full Version : iMac G3, Os X, No Partitioning?

supermario19
Jul 20, 2007, 01:11 AM
Ok so my lovely G3 iMac has done me well since I got it and is running Tiger nicely, only problem is like no disc space on the system drive, and I was trying to install Xcode to do some school work but theres not enough room. I tried everything to reduce the space and erase files I didnt need and move everything I could to the second partition, but there's still less than a gig free.
From everything I've read your supposed to have the 8gb partition or it wont boot os x, but is there any way around this? or possibly I misread and my mac isn't affected by this? (its a slot loader)
I tried installing without a partition once ( the installer didn't say anything about it, not sure if its supposed to or not) and it ran fine for a while, then the hard drive gave out, but it was a used hard drive and the place I got it from couldn't get it working after that either. I wasn't sure if it crashed cuz of not having the partition or if it was just a crappy hard drive, but I didn't wanna risk it again.

Maybe i'm just shooting in the dark here, but does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

iBookG4user
Jul 20, 2007, 01:18 AM
OS X likes a couple GB free, so if you have less than a GB free, that is definitely not ideal. Before you go messing around with partitions and all that, give whatsize (http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/) a download and use it to see if you can clear out some more data. You might want to make sure you have the printer drivers deleted, that will free a couple hundred MB and just go through your hard drive again.

leighonigar
Jul 20, 2007, 01:21 AM
The 8Gb partition thing does not apply to your mac. I have a G3 350 like yours and I've run it on a 40gig first partition no problem. The tray loaders have that limitation, not yours.

supermario19
Jul 20, 2007, 01:35 AM
You have no idea how happy I am to hear that. I wish I would have known that a few years ago though. The reason I was trying to find out is I have an extra 160g hard drive I wanted to throw in since the one I have now is slow and dying, and figured it would be a waste if i needed that 8g partition.

I got really excited about installing it this weekend, but then remembered I'm going up to calgary so it will have to wait till later. oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!

Thank you for the fast response. I love this site. Its nice to get positive posts here. This one forum I went to for a long time but rarely posted at always has rude posters. anytime I post there I almost instantly get a "old topic ... locked" and sometimes people just post a link with no explanation and then minutes later the post is deleted or something with no warning. It just got so retarded I stopped going there altogether. its nice here.