Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antony52

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2003
I have been planning for quite some time now.However before I go and give my money let me ask you people some questions:
1)My job is game development.What I want to know is whether I could use Mac for general game development.What do I mean:Lets say that I build a shader but I want this shader capable in running in Windows and Mac can it be done?
2)One more reason for doing this is because I am tired of upgrading my pc anymore.Will I have to do this with Mac's also?
3)Since I read that new Powerbook are coming out do you know whether they will be equipped with the new ATI RADEON MOBILITY 9600?
Thanks and sorry for the long questions.

tazo

macrumors 68040
you can use VPC to run a program in a windows environemtn on the mac.

no one knows for sure what the new powerbooks will contain. search around the forums for powerbook 15 rumors :)

and it is always a personal decision to upgrade. obsolescence is defined by impatience :)

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Re: Questions before switching.

Originally posted by Antony52
3)Since I read that new Powerbook are coming out do you know whether they will be equipped with the new ATI RADEON MOBILITY 9600?
Well, no one is 100% sure when the new PowerBooks are coming - these are just rumors.

Antony52

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2003
From what the people at VPC are saying 3D is currently not possible with the version for Mac.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i wish i knew more about developing. can he use a program like xcode and code his shaders and see them in real time or are shaders and all that done with a specific program? and like what everyone else said, no one knows when powerbooks are coming out or what video card.

iJon

Antony52

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2003
Shaders can be written with four languages:Assembly,Cg which support OGL and DX but Nvidia does not support Mac for now,HLSL from Microsoft for DX9 ONLY and GLSLang which is the shading language for OGL 2.0 .OGL 2.0 will support Mac's for sure at least.We will see then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.