PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT buy SPeck ToughSkin iPhone case

mergedown
Jul 20, 2007, 07:26 PM
Since my thread about the stolen iPhone was removed because I asked for donations, I figured I would change my approach and warn potential Speck ToughSkin case customers.

Do not buy this case, well, don't use the belt clip holder it comes with...

A friend of mine was using the belt clip holder and the iPhone fell out of it. It was never seen again. He found at least 3 other instances where the same thing happened, but they were more fortunate and found their phones.

After a few complaints to Apple, it seems as if that case has been removed from their Store.

Just an FYI/Warning. The case itself is very nice, but I would be very cautious of the belt clip holder.

Cybergypsy
Jul 22, 2007, 07:34 AM
Since my thread about the stolen iPhone was removed because I asked for donations, I figured I would change my approach and warn potential Speck ToughSkin case customers.

A friend of mine was using the belt clip holder and the iPhone fell out of it. It was never seen again. He found at least 3 other instances where the same thing happened, but they were more fortunate and found their phones.

After a few complaints to Apple, it seems as if that case has been removed from their Store.

Just an FYI/Warning. The case itself is very nice, but I would be very cautious of the belt clip holder.

sorry about your loss

tech fusion
Jul 22, 2007, 01:27 PM
I bought the tough skin and have been using it since the first day I had the iPhone. The holster never droped my iPhone and use it will running around at work. I twist the clip around to 180 degrees so the iPhone won't dig in my stomach while sitting down and it works fine.

vespagirl
Jul 22, 2007, 01:43 PM
I have this case/holster and haven't had a problem. That's awful about the lost iPhone. I've been fortunate but I'm probably overly cautious with mine because I see the potential for the device to fall away. It does make the device sit further out than it should. I see the same issue with most of the clips I've seen so far. I'm a clip person because I need it secured to me when I'm busy. I love the shape of the iPhone but it's a bit of a challenge when it comes to securing it in a decent case. The skin itself is great, I agree. If they tweaked that holster, it would be perfect.

hexonxonx
Jul 22, 2007, 03:09 PM
I bought that case at the Apple store when I bought my phone. As soon as I put my phone in the case, I tested out the belt clip and I could see how easily the phone would fall off of the belt clip so I never used the clip. I just used the case and put it in my pocket.

People really need to do some testing themselves before they put their trust in something like this and a $600 phone.

I also bought a Belkin case and the same thing could easily happen. Never use the belt clip on these cases unless the clip is bolted or screwed on to the case.

kwanbis
Mar 2, 2008, 07:45 PM
i know is a little late to reply, but, did you ever used some belt clip that won't fall off if it hooks with something? I don't.

Is your 80 kilos or more of pressure against a little plastic clip.