Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
I am NEW to the world of color calibration. I am soon buying a new G5 with an Apple Cinema Display. Please forgive me if my questions seem naive. (BTW, I will be doing mostly print work now - video work next year possibly).

001. As soon as I plug in my LCD, and install photoshop, how do I go aobut calibrating? Do I put the hardware calibration tool on first, like the gretagMacbeth, and then use this to calibrate my LCD? OR, do I do it by eye with Adobe Gamma first?

002. How do I get an accurate profile for an attached printer? I've been told that the software that comes with color printers now a days are great, as long as you stick with first party inks and papers. So do I just install the software and BAM, that's it?

003. Is there such things as profiles for scanners?

004. I am going to be printing mostly at home here first. Just doing some small print projects, while I make my way through school first. HOWEVER, if I ever decide to go to prepress, how does that work usually. Do you have to convert from RGB to CMYK?:confused: How do profiles that a prepress production house use correlate to the one's I could possibly be using at home?:eek:

I would appreciate any and all help guys/gals on the subject. I am a lost soul. I am currently ready Real World Photoshop 7, and Real World Color, and both books are great. But I am still a bit confused. Please help !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.