PDA

View Full Version : The best iPhone screen protector - Brando UltraClear

mobilehavoc
Jul 20, 2007, 11:41 PM
So I've had an iPhone since 6/29/07 6:01PM and initially I left the Apple packaging clear plastic on the screen to protect it. A week later I bought ShieldZone's InvisibleShield for the iPhone and applied it. As posted on this forum, I was disappointed with the InvisibleShield because it felt extremely flimsy and stretchy...also even when I got it on, it made the screen feel completely different - more rough and just weird. So I ordered a Brando UltraClear protector from mobile.brando.com.hk. It usually takes 10-12 days to arrive but mine luckily came in 5!!

I installed it with the greatest of ease and it's quite amazing. For those not familiar with Brando UltraClear protectors they are excellent quality. They are a hard plastic which in no way distorts the PQ of the device, they are not flimsy, can be easily removed/washed and reused and in general are just amazing.

Apart from the crystal clear view of the iPhone screen the best part is that the Brando is so smooth and high quality it feels like you're touching the iPhone glass when using it making it a joy to use. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants the best screen protector for their iPhone. Good luck.

http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/5593/img0128ob0.th.jpg (http://img462.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0128ob0.jpg)

chemistslime
Jul 20, 2007, 11:54 PM
So I've had an iPhone since 6/29/07 6:01PM and initially I left the Apple packaging clear plastic on the screen to protect it. A week later I bought ShieldZone's InvisibleShield for the iPhone and applied it. As posted on this forum, I was disappointed with the InvisibleShield because it felt extremely flimsy and stretchy...also even when I got it on, it made the screen feel completely different - more rough and just weird. So I ordered a Brando UltraClear protector from mobile.brando.com.hk. It usually takes 10-12 days to arrive but mine luckily came in 5!!

I installed it with the greatest of ease and it's quite amazing. For those not familiar with Brando UltraClear protectors they are excellent quality. They are a hard plastic which in no way distorts the PQ of the device, they are not flimsy, can be easily removed/washed and reused and in general are just amazing.

Apart from the crystal clear view of the iPhone screen the best part is that the Brando is so smooth and high quality it feels like you're touching the iPhone glass when using it making it a joy to use. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants the best screen protector for their iPhone. Good luck.

http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/5593/img0128ob0.th.jpg (http://img462.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0128ob0.jpg)

Mine came in the mail today. I have yet to install it.

mobilehavoc
Jul 21, 2007, 12:01 AM
Mine came in the mail today. I have yet to install it.

I recommend holding it under running water before putting it on, it makes it 100x easier to get it on straight and without any bubbles...I always use this method with Brando and it works perfectly.

Sobe
Jul 21, 2007, 01:52 AM
I'm not doubting that the Brando is any good (I don't know if it's good or bad) but you might want to try out the Power Support Crystal Film or at least 3-4 alternatives before declaring something "the best"

If it works for you and you love it...fantastic...just easy on the superlatives there when n=2.

just a thought there.

Daremo
Jul 21, 2007, 03:53 AM
The "best" is a matter of opinion, and you can only really state the opinion if you've tried every one of them on the market.

I also dislike the Invisible Shield. Hated it actually. I found the Power Support Crystal Film a perfect solution for me, and it looks very much like the Brando Ultra Clear.

tribe3
Jul 21, 2007, 04:00 AM
I have the "Power Support" ones and they look like they fit slightly better. They look very similar though. If you clean the surface really well with a photo lens quality microfiber cloth it turns virtually invisible.

mobilehavoc
Jul 21, 2007, 08:55 AM
I've never tried the ones sold at Apple stores but I'm basing my opinion on the COUNTLESS brands I've tried with other phones and why I always go with Brando for all my previous phones. I turned a few friends onto Brando and they swear by it. Even my wife who I ordered a Brando s/p for her BB Pearl at first was skeptical and annoyed at having to spend money to protect the screen but now she can't say enough good things about it.

You may be happy with whatever screen protector you use, I'm just saying over the last 2-3 years I've tried at least 10 over multiple phones and Brando has always won. Take it for what that's worth.

ndriver182
Jul 21, 2007, 11:39 AM
I've never used a screen protector on any of my phones, but I decided to go with one on my iphone. I installed one of the ones from the Apple store about two weeks ago and it's great. I made sure to clean off the glass with a slightly damp microfiber cloth first and then give a good scrub down with a dry microfiber cloth and applied the protector. You can't even see a difference between the glass and having the protector and there are zero problems with the touch screen. Button pressing feels as accurate as ever and sliding your finger around the cover feels just as normal as well. I'm not saying this is the best since I haven't tried the others, but I have absolutely no complaints about this one.

Daremo
Jul 21, 2007, 06:00 PM
I have the "Power Support" ones and they look like they fit slightly better. They look very similar though. If you clean the surface really well with a photo lens quality microfiber cloth it turns virtually invisible.

Just by looking at the photo of the Brando screen, I agree with you. The Power Support Crystal Shield is a better fit. The holes aren't cut as wide. It's harder to tell you have one on. I bet the Brando is a great shield too, but judging by the fit, I'll stick with the PSCS.

mcdj
Jul 22, 2007, 12:07 AM
Fit aside, it sounds to me like the Brando and the Power Support (which I use and love) are pretty much the same basic cling style material, if not identical. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the dozens of companies offering this kind of protector aren't sourcing the film from 1 or 2 different manufacturers.

I just feel sorry for those who've been sucked into the Invisible Shield/Best Skin Ever hype vortex without ever having tried a cling style protector. They have no idea what they're missing.

hotsauce
Jul 22, 2007, 02:23 AM
I'm telling you for the last time, the BEST protection is bse for the back, top, bottom, and button in combination with Power Support Crystal Film on the screen. Period

rroback
Jul 25, 2007, 01:47 PM
I have the invisible shield on my iphone, and I'd say it's pretty good. My difference was that i had it 'professionally' installed, by a stand at a mall that sold invisible shields. I could not have installed it myself, but his installation was perfect. my biggest complaint was that it didn't come in and out of the dock very well, so I trimmed the plastic. I don't find a big difference in the buttons working, and I like the added safety scratch factor. I like having the back covered.

j00d
Jul 27, 2007, 02:29 PM
Can someone test the heat issues w/ using a clear plastic cover like this?

It looks like a clear cover like this might lock in the heat from the LCD panel and from the aluminum back

megfilmworks
Jul 27, 2007, 08:39 PM
Those look alright but not as nice as a naked phone.
Since iDay I have put my iPhone naked in my pocket, naked on the desk, etc.
Not a scratch or mark. This phone will look great 2 years from now. I say dump the condoms.

justdhruv
Jul 29, 2007, 04:46 AM
Can someone give us a comparative of the two shields. brando vs power support. Are the brando guys reliable. i am little nervous ordering from them.

justdhruv
Jul 29, 2007, 05:12 AM
this is a very favourable review

http://www.macgirl.net/page2/page6/page6.html

but as mentioned in the above in the forums, the cutouts do not fit too well. May because this company is in HK and hasn't had the physical prototype to try its product on. Can some one post there images of the power support film

X14Halo
Jul 31, 2007, 02:00 PM
I have this one, and I'd have to say its pretty good. Can't complain yet. :)

justdhruv
Aug 1, 2007, 02:18 PM
has any one ordered these:

they are also supposed to be static cling films...

http://www.bargaincell.com/product_18251_2398.html

damn cheap at $4.

D1G1T4L
Aug 14, 2007, 01:22 AM
I have now gone with BSE, invisibleShield, Power Support Crystal Film, and now the Brando.

The invisibleShield - was cut wrong. Just a bit too small. Left a small sliver of glass uncovered. Orange peel effect and rubbery

BSE - Cut was perfect but of course has the orange peel effect and rubbery.

Power Support Crystal Film - Perfect cut, clear, and feel. The only drawback was it is really thin.

Brando - Cut is almost perfect bottom of the button doesn't go all away around. Perfectly clear and feels the same as Power Support. Feels much harder and firmer than the Power Support.

In the end I'm going with the Brando. Great cut and clarity. I feel it has the best protection/clarity combination.

justdhruv
Aug 14, 2007, 01:34 PM
i went with BSE, the rear side looks and fits awesome. I haven't made up my mind about the front though. I will use it for week or two to decide whether i should switch to something different. can you post few pic of the fit and finish of brando.

b257177
Aug 14, 2007, 05:37 PM
Those look alright but not as nice as a naked phone.
Since iDay I have put my iPhone naked in my pocket, naked on the desk, etc.
Not a scratch or mark. This phone will look great 2 years from now. I say dump the condoms.

Meg's right, at least my experience is exactly the same. Running naked feels good, looks good and is the intended experience. ::cough::

Joshua8o8
Aug 15, 2007, 05:06 AM

from the picture posted, it looks to me like the power support screen protector fits a little better too. In the picture posted the hole around the ear piece is a bit bigger than the power supports hole. the home button looks the same though.

horation
Aug 26, 2007, 01:29 AM
Recently got my Brando UltraClear. shipped in 10 days. fits snug. feels like glass. After nearly 2 weeks, no abrasions at all. A good investment.

D1G1T4L
Aug 28, 2007, 10:48 PM
from the picture posted, it looks to me like the power support screen protector fits a little better too. In the picture posted the hole around the ear piece is a bit bigger than the power supports hole. the home button looks the same though.

The Brando I received was cut around the ear piece much closer. Guess it took them some time to get an iPhone and adjust the fitting.

justdhruv
Aug 28, 2007, 11:05 PM
could you please post a few pics?

D1G1T4L
Aug 30, 2007, 12:36 AM
could you please post a few pics?

Justdhruv I would but my camera is now broke and am waiting for the new Canons to show up in September before buying a new one :(

subnetangel
Dec 8, 2008, 02:49 PM
mobilehavoc,

what is the under water process that you used? could you explain it since I would like to make sure my in perfect.

Thanks

boleiro
Dec 17, 2008, 12:59 PM
thanks for the tip Mobilehavoc. I just ordered my Bruno Ultra Clear from the site you posted (mobile.brando.com.hk) and they are currently discounting shipping fees. So, $10 shipped, even better. I had the invisible shield on my old phone and it was kind of a rubbery type feel to it. and it was not totally clear, there was some kind of coloration.

crashnburn
Mar 29, 2011, 03:04 PM
Whats the best 'thick' & 'tough' Screen Protector for the iphone 4? Especially something thats not just a thin film but stronger at the same time allows SMooth Access to iPhone 4 screen.