Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
I need some help...

I have an iBook that got dropped. It works fine except that if I open the monitor too far the screen goes black, the machine doesn't go to sleep the screen just goes blank. Any ideas on what it could be or how I could fix it? My sister (who originally owned it) already told Apple it was dropped so warranty is out th e door i think.

Could there just be a cable not plugged in all the way?

how hard is it to work on one of these? I was thinking about getting a Combo drive on ebay and putting it in while I am at it.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

MacboyX

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Ok,

Further info is that the screen isn't going off, but the backlight is going off. I don't know if that helps or not but I thought I'd mention it...

MacBoyX

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
I think they would find out that was dropped anyways. But here is what you can do, leave it in a wet cold place for like 12 hours. Screen will go down totally. Then you can call apple and say: "WTF people! Your screens suck!" fix it.

Well, it probably wont work, but it's one way to try.
The thing is that warranty on screens is only like a month or 2.
1 year is only for hardware parts, not screen.
Accidental damage insurance could actually come handy on laptops. I think it's even more useful than regular.
If sound card goes down, just hit it on the wall and tell apple to fix it.

When you call them, just talk to them like it's their fault it's broken, and not yours. And sound like you are pissed. :)

The best that could happen - they will fix your laptop.
The worst that could happen - they will tell you to go F yourself.

Maybe worth a try. HEH

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Not sure if this helps, but my Pismo took a flying leap off a table (must be those darn quantum fluctuations... yeah) and the screen went black (same thing - no backlight).

I sent it in to Apple and they just said the power connector came loose, re-attached it at no cost, and it works again (I could have done it myself, but it was still under warranty). If you detach the screen there is a small power cable (red and back or red and white - two small wires, can't remember... these are what provides power to the backlight on the Pismo - I'm not sure how an iBook is disassembled but I did see an older one (orange) taken apart in a magazine (MacFan) a while back - you might find something on the Internet. Probably returning it to Apple will be your lowest risk - but if it is something worse, then it could get expensive. Yet from what you are writing, it sounds like a connector loose which should be free to re-attach. If you are handy with tools you could do it yourself.

-Wyrm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.