PDA

View Full Version : Apple removes Switch ads from their site.


MacBytes
Jul 24, 2003, 09:41 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple removes Switch ads from their site. (http://www.macminute.com/2003/07/24/switchads)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

bennetsaysargh
Jul 24, 2003, 09:57 PM
argh.
i hope i have an ellen fiess ad somewhere. it was so much fun, and i hope to show it to my grandkids along with old sites about her and stuff, and then they'll look at me like i'm crazy, and i will be.:)

Flowbee
Jul 24, 2003, 10:06 PM
So is this the end of the switch campaign?

Fender2112
Jul 24, 2003, 10:18 PM
A handful of media outlets have recently claimed that the campaign was a failure, citing stagnant Apple market share numbers.

I don't think sales are stagnant because of a bad add campaign. I'm pretty sure it has more to with folks waiting for (a) the G5 (b) a PowerBook update (c) an iMac update and (d) a new digital lifestyle device. :)

Mudbug
Jul 24, 2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Fender2112
I don't think sales are stagnant because of a bad add campaign. I'm pretty sure it has more to with folks waiting for (a) the G5 (b) a PowerBook update (c) an iMac update and (d) a new digital lifestyle device. :)

and lower prices, faster machines, local sales outlets, more software, etc... ;)

JtheLemur
Jul 25, 2003, 12:09 AM
And did someone say, PDA? =D

MacRETARD
Jul 25, 2003, 12:12 AM
Apple wants to be considered the elite computing experience, sort of like owning a rolex, or driving a mercedes. They dont want joe sixpack getting one of the pretty computers and putting it on his 29 dollar fold out computer table.

This is the reason Apple has never really pursued the sub 1000 desktop market which is what most computer buyers are looking at. This is also why mercedes doesnt make an econo box like honda or chevy. If Apple was to sell an imac without the monitor and maybe an 800mhz g4 they could do it for 599 easy and tons of people would buy it.

fawlty
Jul 25, 2003, 12:19 AM
IMO the switch campaign would have been more effective if it had kept the focus on genuine switchers (like the windows LAN man and the umbrella man).

The later ones were just Mac people saying how nice their Macs were.

websterphreaky
Jul 25, 2003, 12:21 AM
Price, price, price, real not phoney speed equivalency, catch up someday to Intel bus speeds and lower prices again!

I have a brand new Gateway 700XL DFM (Digital Film Maker series) workstation to do video and audio editing. Running an Intel P-4 Hyperthreading 3.06GHz processor and 3GB or PC3500 DDR, it'll still eat the fastest G5 for lunch. And it'll cost less to boot.

I still like using my Dual 1.42 G4, but productivity and technology is in the Gateway. Sorry!

And it was the stupid Switch Ads! They were quirky, dorky and didn't phase anyone except dweebs that represent 1/1000th of the computing population. As a marketing company, Apple sucks. The hardware is pretty, but that's not going to make anyone Switch when it costs twice as much as a faster PC.

I really do use both platforms, no . . . three including Linux.

gwangung
Jul 25, 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by MacRETARD
Apple wants to be considered the elite computing experience, sort of like owning a rolex, or driving a mercedes. They dont want joe sixpack getting one of the pretty computers and putting it on his 29 dollar fold out computer table.

This is the reason Apple has never really pursued the sub 1000 desktop market which is what most computer buyers are looking at. This is also why mercedes doesnt make an econo box like honda or chevy. If Apple was to sell an imac without the monitor and maybe an 800mhz g4 they could do it for 599 easy and tons of people would buy it.

No, I don't think so on either count. Margins are not THAT slim. And market inertia wouldn't change that many people over....(remember, it's corporate purchases that represent the bulk of that market share)

Nermal
Jul 25, 2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
argh.
i hope i have an ellen fiess ad somewhere. it was so much fun, and i hope to show it to my grandkids along with old sites about her and stuff, and then they'll look at me like i'm crazy, and i will be.:)

I've got Ellen's ad somewhere if you can't find it.

Jerry Spoon
Jul 25, 2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by MacRETARD
Apple wants to be considered the elite computing experience, sort of like owning a rolex, or driving a mercedes. They dont want joe sixpack getting one of the pretty computers and putting it on his 29 dollar fold out computer table.

This is the reason Apple has never really pursued the sub 1000 desktop market which is what most computer buyers are looking at. This is also why mercedes doesnt make an econo box like honda or chevy. If Apple was to sell an imac without the monitor and maybe an 800mhz g4 they could do it for 599 easy and tons of people would buy it.

First of all, you've got to like a guy who's got the b*lls to name himself MacRETARD.
Second, writing that b/c Apple puts itself out there as an elite group and relating that to your first statement that apple doesn't want switchers is ridiculous. Just like Rolex or Mercedes, they're looking for new buyers, but Mercedes doesn't expect the guy driving the Ford Festiva to buy a Mercedes as his next car any more than Apple expects the guy buying the WalMart $199.98 Microtel (actual price:D) to pick up a G5 as his next computer.

ashish100
Jul 25, 2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by MacRETARD
This is also why mercedes doesnt make an econo box like honda or chevy.

What about Smart? That's merc's econobox.

<http://www.smart.com/>

actionslacks
Jul 25, 2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by websterphreaky
Price, price, price, real not phoney speed equivalency, catch up someday to Intel bus speeds and lower prices again!

I have a brand new Gateway 700XL DFM (Digital Film Maker series) workstation to do video and audio editing. Running an Intel P-4 Hyperthreading 3.06GHz processor and 3GB or PC3500 DDR, it'll still eat the fastest G5 for lunch. And it'll cost less to boot.

I still like using my Dual 1.42 G4, but productivity and technology is in the Gateway. Sorry!

And it was the stupid Switch Ads! They were quirky, dorky and didn't phase anyone except dweebs that represent 1/1000th of the computing population. As a marketing company, Apple sucks. The hardware is pretty, but that's not going to make anyone Switch when it costs twice as much as a faster PC.

I really do use both platforms, no . . . three including Linux.



Wow. Seeing this forced me to finally register...

Ok so the switch ads are a little lame... I'll give you that.

"As a marketing company Apple sucks" ? ??? ????????? I don't know where to begin to offer you a clue on this one.


"(Digital Fim Maker series"?????

1. Fast computer? probably.
2. "eat the fastest G5 for lunch"? Well nobody knows for sure since it is not in our hands yet, but I bet not.
3. What "Digital Filmaker" software are you going to run on that thing? Premiere? Avid Xpress (great program but limited to DV)?

Forget the G5s for a moment. Your Dual 1.42 funning FCP (or Avid DV) will be way more productive and will have a much better user experience than anything you can do on with that Gateway running XP.

I feel sorry for you that you fell for Gateways attempt at reeling in the "digital filmaker", but the DV revolution is quickly yielding to the fact that Uncompressed video is attainable on your home computer. It is no problem for a G4 (Blackmagic codecs) or a G5 (Apple's own codec or Many others).

Try working with anything more complex than DV on your Gateway and I think you will be very frustrated.

I challenge you to find one filmmaker that endorses a gateway product for anything more than checking their email.

Jesus on OSX
Jul 25, 2003, 03:40 AM
Get it while it lasts.


http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:VKdNgiKhEIsJ:www.apple.com/switch/ads/ellenfeiss.html+ellen+feiss&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

thies
Jul 25, 2003, 05:15 AM
I guess that means they have realized that they can only somewhat compete with Linux and Windows in some professional niches and the geek sector, but not the common market.

oh well, no surprise given their pricetags, especially outside the US where they may as well demand your firstborn.

Wuddel
Jul 25, 2003, 05:55 AM
Hey, let's face it. The campaign was just boring (except for Ellen maybe). I mean it has to compete with something like the legendary "Think different"-campaign. The Switcher-campaign did not dealt with the "special" Apple-lifestyle. It just said: "Use a Mac, it's easy!". TD said "Use a Mac and you change the world or at least do something amazing".

BTW concerning Mercedes: Here in Germany even Smart is considered a premium-brand in the market for very small cars (look at the Smart Roadster and compare the prices). Although many people do that you can't really compare cars with computers. First of all the market has no monopol and there are many types of cars that can be considered the best car. (Landrover Range Rover vs. Mercedes SL, both great but totally different)

PS I always thought that Chrysler was Mercedes cheap-brand ;)

phc
Jul 25, 2003, 06:59 AM
And it was the stupid Switch Ads! They were quirky, dorky and didn't phase anyone except dweebs that represent 1/1000th of the computing population. As a marketing company, Apple sucks. The hardware is pretty, but that's not going to make anyone Switch when it costs twice as much as a faster PC.

I really do use both platforms, no . . . three including Linux. [/B]

You'd be surprised how many "dweebs" there are in the world. By "dweeb" I mean those that don't really know any of the technical aspects of a computer besides the basics, such as an icon representing a file and the mouse being used to click on it and such. And to use an Apple, that's pretty much all you have to know and that's who they were trying to target.

I also think that hardware really isn't an issue, to an extent. It's all about the user experience and the operating system. Granted, it's also holding Apple back... for instance I contemplated purchasing a G4 Cube but didn't because for the same amount of money, I could have gotten a 1 GHz Intel system rather than a lowly 450 MHz G4. I've come to despise Windows not only for the user experience but to program for it is terrible. As for Linux I really can't say... I've dabbled with it here and there :p

CheekyGit
Jul 25, 2003, 07:36 AM
I'm glad I got all the switch ads saved on my hard drive.

CheekyGit :D

AidenShaw
Jul 25, 2003, 07:47 AM
My favorite:

http://www.casinopants.com/switch3.html

AppleMatt
Jul 25, 2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by websterphreaky
real not phoney speed equivalency, catch up someday to Intel bus speeds

The G5 has a bus speed 200MHz faster than Intel. You catch up.

MacRETARD: 50% of last quarters sales were to non-Mac users. Why wouldn't Apple want swtichers? They're a business.

Jesus on OSX: THANKYOU!

AppleMatt

copperpipe
Jul 25, 2003, 08:08 AM
did someone say his gateway would eat a G5 alive? If that isn't flaming retardation I don't know what else could qualify. Oh, and they use Linux too, well, wow good for you there cowboy.

Now to the subject at hand: I liked the switch campaign. It became part of the social conscience, and changed the meaning of the word "switch". I'd say that was pretty effective.

And while I'm at it, I saw buy.com's Apple rip-offs, and I have to say "Wow! I never realized how good Apple's ads were!" Buy.com has made Apple look like professionals, while Buy.com's ads look like they were made by executives (not ad professionals) thinking to themselves how funny they were. Quite simply they suck big time.

But here's my biggest gripe with the Apple ads: The guys voice they use. He sounds sooooo SMUG. I kinda cringe when I hear him...

PGant
Jul 25, 2003, 08:21 AM
I dunno...I might not have ever enjoyed the celebrity of Ellen or had the charm of Janie, but I'm still proud of this funny little campaign. Just thank your lucky stars that Apple didn't get me to sing-along with my iPod (LOL).

Mr. Anderson
Jul 25, 2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by actionslacks


Try working with anything more complex than DV on your Gateway and I think you will be very frustrated.

I challenge you to find one filmmaker that endorses a gateway product for anything more than checking their email.

Congrats on registering - great first post! :D

I do think, like you said, that a lot will rely on real world feedback once the new G5s get in the hands of the users. I can't wait to get mine - and look forward to doing high quality animation and not be stuck with DV.

As for the switch ads, they gave Apple a ton of publicity. Sure they were a bit corny - but we all talked about them, discussed them, created websites about them. They were a short term success - not as elegant as the Think Different campaign, but perfect for the time.

D

Awimoway
Jul 25, 2003, 09:20 AM
Far be it from me to tell Apple how to do their job, but if they are so focused on regaining market share, why they don't they do some actual market research and find out why people resist buying Macs?

My guess is that a lot of it boils down to some fairly easily fixed issues like a multiple-button mouse and more upgrade possibilities for iMacs.

Apple can't expect buyers to pull their heads out of the sand until they, themselves, do.

cjm1700
Jul 25, 2003, 09:53 AM
I think that Apple's commercials need to be more informative than persuasive. Half the PC users are unaware that OSX is as great as it is. Most of my friends think of an Apple II when they hear Apple. Also Apple needs to get into Best Buys and whatnot.

Orome
Jul 25, 2003, 10:00 AM
...I just found http://www.esm.psu.edu/faculty/gray/switch-ads.html (this) site. Looks like all of the ads except for the Will Ferrel parodies.

Capt Underpants
Jul 25, 2003, 10:20 AM
Well I thought that the switch campaigns were working very well. Maybe they are just taking them off because everyone on earth has seen those and they are making some more? I don't think Apple would stop the switch ads for too long. That is, unless they make an even better commercial (which they are perfectly capable of doing), that will better communicate all of the points already mentioned in the switch ads. How will they do this? I do not know, but hopefully it will be good.

Capt Underpants
Jul 25, 2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by cjm1700
I think that Apple's commercials need to be more informative than persuasive. Half the PC users are unaware that OSX is as great as it is. Most of my friends think of an Apple II when they hear Apple. Also Apple needs to get into Best Buys and whatnot.

Best Buy and Apple don't exactly have the best relationship in the world.

Potus
Jul 25, 2003, 10:38 AM
Can't save the ad to my hard drive. Any ideas as to why?

Orome
Jul 25, 2003, 10:43 AM
I didn't really go for the switch ads. They kind of came off as "I'm too dumb/lazy to figure out how to use a PC, so I bought a Mac which is dumb like me! Hi, I'm John Doe and I'm unemployed." ...ok maybe a slight exaggeration there, but I think the point is still made. We all know Macs aren't dumb, but some of the commercials made it look like people who do use them are dumb. The people they picked just weren't that interesting and few of us could actually relate to their stories (with the exception of Ellen Feiss). The only Apple fans I talked to about the switch ads who didn't have any reservations about them whatsoever were the ones that are ALWAYS for WHATEVER Apple does, and let's be honest: Apple makes mistakes too...

Potus
Jul 25, 2003, 10:53 AM
Mac OSX 2.6

Orome
Jul 25, 2003, 10:59 AM
Tried control-clicking the link (or right-clicking if you have a 2-button mouse) and clicking "Download link to disc?"

wdlove
Jul 25, 2003, 11:02 AM
I think that Apple is making a mistake if it ends thw "Switch" ad campaign. Now that we have the G5 we need to continue that campaign. Apple needs to have more of a presence!

actionslacks
Jul 25, 2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Congrats on registering - great first post! :D

I do think, like you said, that a lot will rely on real world feedback once the new G5s get in the hands of the users. I can't wait to get mine - and look forward to doing high quality animation and not be stuck with DV.

As for the switch ads, they gave Apple a ton of publicity. Sure they were a bit corny - but we all talked about them, discussed them, created websites about them. They were a short term success - not as elegant as the Think Different campaign, but perfect for the time.

D

I work in film and television Post Production (right now for an Animated series) and I could really use those G5s to increase productivity. I really look forward to 1-2 years from now when Macs (thanks in part to IBM) will return to being the superior platform for many Film/Video tasks. However, I am deeply discouraged by what I am seeing on the software suppprt side specifically from companies like Adobe.


Back to the topic:

I agree completely with your asseesment of the switch ads. I don't think Apple ever intended to keep making switch ads forever. They were advertising that complimented the sales pitch being used to draw customers in to Apple stores popping up across the country. They were a great little experiment and, if nothing else,they were another reason for wintel users to stop and think about Macs for a second.

rueyeet
Jul 25, 2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by websterphreaky
Price, price, price...The hardware is pretty, but that's not going to make anyone Switch when it costs twice as much as a faster PC.

Wrong as that is, that's the public perception of Macs. The mass market has gotten used to the idea that computers should cost less than a thousand dollars...and I don't mean $999, I mean $799 or less.

And that's precisely where Apple really can't compete. They're not going to beat Dell at the game of throwing together and selling as many cheap (and I mean cheap in every sense of the word) units as the market will bear. If they did, they'd lose everything that makes them Apple: design, quality, innovation.

So, while I'm sure Apple would love more users, they aren't going to play the Dell game. Good thing, too.

Okay, so the removal of the switch ads following so closely on its being declared a failure can't be coincidence. But, y'know, it's been out there a while. It's time for something new, and it looks like a good time to switch ad campaigns.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 25, 2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Jesus on OSX
Get it while it lasts.


http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:VKdNgiKhEIsJ:www.apple.com/switch/ads/ellenfeiss.html+ellen+feiss&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

thanks:)

i think that the end of it was inevitable because i think soon they will have more of a focus on what creative things people can do on them as to why grandma loves her iMac. i see ads showing the OS on te hardware as well as panther features.
i see a commercial with a person in iChat Safari, Mail, and other apple apps, using all of the panther features like Expose', and stuff like that. After it's done, text reads as follows.
The future of computering is here.
Mac OS X 10.3
Unleash The Cat

sorry. i feel i should make ads and stuff:p

Orome
Jul 25, 2003, 01:24 PM
Looks to me like Apple thought they would dump all those losers on the switch commercials and make a commercial with a guy getting blown out of his house by his G5!!! Anyone else see a contradiction here? The "cooky," friendly switch ads are dumped in favor of a "hang on and shut up!" idea. This begs the question, which do you prefer: switch commercials or the new G5 commercial?

whatever
Jul 25, 2003, 02:25 PM
So what if Apple pulled the SWITCH ads from their website. How long do you expect this campaign to go on for? And it was successful. It got people talking about Apple again.

What I don't understand about this site is how negative people are towards everything Apple does. They release a new computer, you find fault. They release new software, you find fault. They make a commercial, you find fault. They diversify their business (iTune Music Store), you find fault.

As if any of you could do any better. Apple is a US a company and doing quite well during a very serious RECESSION.

If I was considering buying a Mac and I stumbled across this site, I would think twice, because all I would read would be doom.

Potus
Jul 25, 2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by whatever
So what if Apple pulled the SWITCH ads from their website. How long do you expect this campaign to go on for? And it was successful. It got people talking about Apple again.

What I don't understand about this site is how negative people are towards everything Apple does. They release a new computer, you find fault. They release new software, you find fault. They make a commercial, you find fault. They diversify their business (iTune Music Store), you find fault.

As if any of you could do any better. Apple is a US a company and doing quite well during a very serious RECESSION.

If I was considering buying a Mac and I stumbled across this site, I would think twice, because all I would read would be doom.

What he said.

Potus
Jul 25, 2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Orome
Tried control-clicking the link (or right-clicking if you have a 2-button mouse) and clicking "Download link to disc?"

The "Download to disk" option remains grayed out.

WM.
Jul 25, 2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by PGant
I dunno...I might not have ever enjoyed the celebrity of Ellen or had the charm of Janie, but I'm still proud of this funny little campaign. Just thank your lucky stars that Apple didn't get me to sing-along with my iPod (LOL).
I'm sure we all are. :D Also, congratulations on getting your own forum-status-thingy ("As Seen on TV"). Maybe I can achieve that one day. :) Did one of the moderators do it for you or something? I mean, I don't think I've seen anything besides the newbie/member/regular/6502/etc. stuff before on these forums.

WM

P.S. I seriously doubt I could do anything for 30 seconds, standing entirely by myself in front of nothing, knowing that whatever I did would be shown hundreds of times to millions of people (and most likely parodied on Leno as well). Even with all the takes you must've done. :) Congratulations on that too.

Mac Kiwi
Jul 25, 2003, 07:28 PM
If the G5s are actually as fast as they are meant to be then they will sell themselves.What I will be interested in {with the G5} will be seeing the innovative ways the PC testers try to cripple them for benchmarks etc,in order to make them look bad.



3D ani on a G5 is gonna be excellent :D.......



Stu.

velodev
Jul 25, 2003, 09:50 PM
I guess it is because I work in the auto industry for a German manuf. but just to be picky I have to point out that Mercedes does produce a vehicle to take some wind from the Honda/Chevy market. The C class has a coupe that is in the lower 20k range. This would compete with the high end Civic and Accord, etc.

Honestly, I think the car is bad idea just like how Volkswagen is getting in the high end range with the Phaeton. That is just my opinion, the marketplace has disagreed with me before.

Originally posted by MacRETARD
This is also why mercedes doesnt make an econo box like honda or chevy.

cjm1700
Jul 25, 2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by whatever
What I don't understand about this site is how negative people are towards everything Apple does. They release a new computer, you find fault. They release new software, you find fault. They make a commercial, you find fault. They diversify their business (iTune Music Store), you find fault.

But it's this high standard that makes Apples superior. Nobody really is going to complain if their cheap $300 computer doesn't have the best keyboard or whatever. Apple's are better. You expect more. Nobody really has that standard for the PC.

And I also think that it's less negativity and more critisism. These people LOVE their computers. They just love the perfection, and want nothing less.

I plan on switching to a 1ghz Emac Combo as soon as the funds come up. I wouldn't be considoring this if it wheren't for people complaining about stupid little things. It just registers as "Well, I guess if their biggest problem is [petty thing here] than it...might...work!". Maybe it's me. But I like the perfectionism.

Rower_CPU
Jul 26, 2003, 04:08 AM
Keep political discussion in the proper forum.

Wardofsky
Jul 26, 2003, 04:10 AM
Uh..
Is this going a bit off topic? ;)

I can't say that I liked them much, they kinda... uh.... beeped and then.... went black.....

Nah, I hope I see something else go in the "Switch ads" place.

ajakeski
Jul 26, 2003, 08:40 PM
I guess all things come to anend. at least I have a copy.
Andy Skowronski