PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Pismo DVD Drive Issues

verviana
Jul 21, 2007, 03:04 PM
I hope this is the appropriate category: I'm new. Please let me know if it's not and where I should go instead.

I've just upgraded a Powerbook Pismo to 10.3.9, installed a gig of memory, and bought a new battery and Pram battery. Great! I did this primarily so I could install photoshop and work away from home.

The problem: My DVD drive recognizes CDs only when it wants to. It's the original drive that came with the machine, and its performance has been spotty since OS 9 -- so I'm assuming it's not an OS X issue. Pretty much, you put a CD in, close the drive, it makes some "thinky noises" and then sounds like it is trying to spin up--but gives up halfway through and there is no further response.

My big game plan thus far has been to insert the same CD over and over and over until the computer finally, by chance, sees it. That's how I got ten installed, and how I've watched DVDs (which I've actually had much better luck with than data CDs).

Today, either my patience isn't what it used to be or the DVD drive has gotten worse. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? I'm hoping y'all won't tell me to just buy a new drive, because I just put $200 into this machine, and adding a DVD drive will make me go, "...I could have just bought a MacBook."