PDA

View Full Version : 6G iPod User Interface Redesign and Videos

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Jul 21, 2007, 07:58 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

[removed per request from Apple legal]

siurpeeman
Jul 21, 2007, 08:01 PM
it makes sense not to incorporate touch controls; it just works. but you gotta wonder if apple's doing this to prevent cannibalizing iphone sales. overall, though, i'd still want an ipod with all-touch controls. it's intuitive, and the technology is already there.

zap2
Jul 21, 2007, 08:03 PM
Well....interesting, but not as cool as the iPhone.

If this turns out to be similar to the 6G iPod, its only because Apple is trying to keep the iPhone offering something nothing else does

subwarm
Jul 21, 2007, 08:04 PM
Seems a little strange that Apple would not use their normal font for an iPod/iPhone user interface. The font in these videos looks to be Arial Black or some variant. The videos are well done but I'm doubting these are authentic.

ejrizo
Jul 21, 2007, 08:05 PM
seems like its official enough... and this can save cost by not having a touch screen... works well looks great... so i dont doubt this is the new ipod... if i didnt have an iphone i would be all over this when released...

kymac
Jul 21, 2007, 08:06 PM
sounds like a good idea though. i like the fact of a more visual based experience. the current setup seems kind of boring now.

Sheradon
Jul 21, 2007, 08:06 PM
This would be a dissapointment if Apple would not offer a large 16:9 screen to view movies on. Not everyone wants the phone (not even available yet in Canada) ho well... we'll see on august 7th :cool:

SheriffParker
Jul 21, 2007, 08:07 PM
Keeping the click-wheel makes sense, especially with all the ipod games that use it. But I think they need to do something else besides revamp the look of the software. It needs to have something new about the design or added hardware features to make it a must-buy.

plumbingandtech
Jul 21, 2007, 08:09 PM
If true this jibes with 9-5mac.com's stubby ipod video with click wheel...

Macmadant
Jul 21, 2007, 08:11 PM
It's real, Cease and Desist order around the corner trust me

c.joe.go
with all of the movement that is occurring with apple towards movies/tv/music in one device (iphone, :apple:tv), i would only guess that the next ipod might have an interface similar to what we see in these videos. i would give the caveat that i would too assume that the ipod will be 16:9.

puckhead193
it seems cool, but would it take a hit on battery?
any idea on HDD sizes?

DaBrain
Jul 21, 2007, 08:12 PM
If this is True I couldn't be more dissapointed! I really want a wide screen iPhone with out the dam phone and monthly charges and I really want a portable Internet communicator that works on wifi around my home and office, along with a lot of storage for videos and music.

Oh well, if this is real, my money stays in my wallet and I will have to find an alternative. Sure hope this is BS! :eek:

Superdrive
Looks good. Okay, it looks great! Please don't make it ugly like the 9to5 rendering. I'm really glad I kept my 5.5G wrapped up for the past month. I'll have this iPod opened on 7 Aug!

syklee26
i am starting to believe this iPod will be something like a 5.75G or something like that.....I do think eventually touchscreen iPod will be released but not yet.

don't forget that iPhone is not just targeted in US; Apple will see iPhone to Europe as well as Asia. Those are pretty sizeable market we are talking about.

clickwheel iPod with some more function than current one (maybe wi-fi) in August,

followed by iPhone in Europe in October 2007

then iPhone nano in December 2007 (in US only)

then iPhone nano for Europe in early 2008

then iPhone for Asia in summer 2008 as well as a possible new iPhone version

then we might see iPod touch screen in later 2008.

obviously some people will be very unhappy. I am fine with it.

syklee26
Jul 21, 2007, 08:13 PM
another possibility is to release touchscreen iPod when iPhone price comes down to something like $299. then Apple can release 30gb iPod and 8gb iPhone at $299 each.

gugy
Jul 21, 2007, 08:15 PM
not sure if I like it.
I think the touchscreen is the way to go.
But I will wait until I see it to make my final decision.

I just like the idea of August 7 as the possible announcement. I am tired of waiting.
Bring it on!

yg17
Jul 21, 2007, 08:15 PM
it makes sense not to incorporate touch controls; it just works. but you gotta wonder if apple's doing this to prevent cannibalizing iphone sales. overall, though, i'd still want an ipod with all-touch controls. it's intuitive, and the technology is already there.

It's not going to cannibalize iPhone sales. 2 different products. One's a phone /MP3 with a measly 4 or 8 gigs of storage space, and one's just an MP3 player but with 80 gigs of space. There are people like me who do not want an iPhone and probably never will want an iPhone yet want an iPod with the widescreen and touchscreen controls. It's not going to cannibalize iPhone sales if we weren't going to buy an iPhone in the first place

Philberttheduck
Jul 21, 2007, 08:16 PM
the interface looks nice, but i'd still like a big screen. preferably 16x9 and bigger than what the iphone offers (im talking 3.5+ inches). im disappointed that its not fullscreen and would really like it if they somehow incorporated both sides with one being the touchwheel part and the other being the full screen for movies.

Killyp
TBH I seriously doubt they'd release a touch-screen based iPod, as this will do nothing more than stand in the way of the iPhone's sales.

At present, it's not like the iPod needs help when it comes to sales. iPhone is gonna need a lot of steam to run on when it comes to Europe...

EDIT: Some people say a touchscreen iPod wouldn't take away from the iPhone, but I disagree. Part of what makes the iPhone amazing is it's GUI and the touchscreen. Sure the phone side of things and web browsing is very clever, but the GUI and touchscreen are IMO the most important USPs of the iPhone.

tingly
20 songs in Rubber Soul?!??

zzcoop
Well-put-together, but fake, fake, fake.

I'd be far less skeptical if the Beatles album info shown was anywhere close to accurate. The track listing for Love isn't even close! Not to mention that they don't even have a song titled "Happiness."

raykhrud
Jul 21, 2007, 08:19 PM
Fake makers were dumb. Compare what you see in this video (http://att.macrumors.com/downloads/ipod6g/ipodnp.mp4) and here, on official Love track list:
"Because"
"Get Back"
"Glass Onion"
"Eleanor Rigby"
"Julia (Transition)"
"I Am the Walrus"
"I Want To Hold Your Hand"
"Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing"
"Gnik Nus"
"Something"
"Blue Jay Way (Transition)"
"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She's So Heavy)/Helter Skelter"
"Help!"
"Blackbird/Yesterday"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows"
"Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds"
"Octopus's Garden"
"Lady Madonna"
"Here Comes the Sun"
"The Inner Light (Transition)"
"Come Together/Dear Prudence"
"Cry Baby Cry (Transition)"
"Revolution"
"Back in the U.S.S.R."
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
"A Day in the Life"
"Hey Jude"
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"
"All You Need Is Love"

tingly
Jul 21, 2007, 08:19 PM
I'd be far less skeptical if the Beatles album info shown was anywhere close to accurate. oh yeah, Love is way off, too. It has more than 14 tracks and the tracklist looks like one of the Anthology albums.

RoDe
Jul 21, 2007, 08:20 PM
The interface looks nice, nothing groundbreaking. If this indeed will be the interface, I don't expect a touch-screen iPod, but still the use of a scrollwheel. I would buy one but only if they would make one with flash memory with a capacity of 32GB anything less would not be acceptabel to me.

zioxide
Jul 21, 2007, 08:21 PM
Those look ****ing awful. They're just the current interface with 1/4 of the album art on the right. Who the **** would ever design something like that?

subwarm
Jul 21, 2007, 08:22 PM
Just a couple general pokes at the interface elements in the videos:

The battery icon doesn't look like that in either the iPhone or iPod interface (in this version its in fact uglier here - and strangely a couple pixels longer with a stronger gradient. Not well polished 3D like current offerings). It looks like someone tried to replicate it in Photoshop.

The top navigation gradient is again slightly different from current offerings. It's a solid black line in the video and on the iPod/iPhone UI its a much subtler dark grey. The header text is usually this color as well and it does not boast as strong a shadow as this version.

Lastly, here is where it's really obvious to me - the spacing of the sub options to the header. It's not sitting proportionally below it. Apple is meticulous in spacing on most of their interface designs. This spacing doesn't seem to fit Apple's history of UI.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong and Apple is getting sloppy.

iMeowbot
Jul 21, 2007, 08:26 PM
Boo boo on the world clock video. The second hand doesn't move for its main display, only while picking time zones.

Killyp
Jul 21, 2007, 08:27 PM
They can't really eliminate the clickwheel. It's an icon, and people identify an iPod with the clickwheel.

Also, while everybody is complaining that it's not 16:9 ratio, what if it's not for the main iPod, but in fact for the Nano?

samh004
Jul 21, 2007, 08:29 PM
Shame everyone seems to be going with fake now as the design was quite a good idea, if not just a little silly not being widescreen of course.

If this is True I couldn't be more dissapointed! I really want a wide screen iPhone with out the dam phone and monthly charges and I really want a portable Internet communicator that works on wifi around my home and office, along with a lot of storage for videos and music.

Your going to be waiting around a very long time if you think Apple's going to make you something like that, when they can rope you into additional services too like on the iPhone... :rolleyes:

Tom B.
Jul 21, 2007, 08:33 PM
I think it looks pretty good, and I won't instantly dismiss it as fake.
I really think Apple will keep a large capacity iPod available that it still music focused, separate to the true video iPod. Maybe this video is the next music focused iPod?

job
Jul 21, 2007, 08:37 PM
Finally, some cool rumors. :)

(And no more complaining about iPhone news stories. :D)

I'm actually looking to get my dad a video iPod for Christmas, so these rumors are interesting indeed...

I wonder if the basic design will change at all.

I think it looks pretty good, and I won't instantly dismiss it as fake.
I really think Apple will keep a large capacity iPod available that it still music focused, separate to the true video iPod. Maybe this video is the next music focused iPod?

Why would Apple have a high capacity dedicated music iPod when Videos typically take up more room? And how is the current iPod not a "true" video iPod? :confused:

applekid
Jul 21, 2007, 08:40 PM
If those are fakes, I'm impressed.

I hope this rumor is false. I want Safari, WiFi, and a touchscreen on the next iPod. Yes, I am one of those in favor of an iPhone - phone = 6G iPod.

zzcoop
Jul 21, 2007, 08:47 PM

I hope this rumor is false. I want Safari, WiFi, and a touchscreen on the next iPod. Yes, I am one of those in favor of an iPhone - phone = 6G iPod.

I'm in favor of that, too, but I'd be completely happy without WiFi and Safari. The current iPod's functionality + the iPhone's form factor & interface = the perfect 6G iPod.

Westside guy
Jul 21, 2007, 08:47 PM
Well, I really hope that - whatever the new iPods look like - they are released soon. The battery life of my 3G iPod has recently been going down the toilet. At this point I don't want to spend money prolonging its life.

A larger screen would be nice from my perspective because I also sometimes use my iPod for off-loading photos from my camera (w/ the old, slow, Belkin adapter). But obviously anything is a step up from my monochrome screen...

whatever
Jul 21, 2007, 08:48 PM
This is so fake.

Apple's next generation iPod will have cover flow.

The interface in those movies is so ugly.

The new iPod will have some pretty cool games and they will be launched on the iPhone on the same day.

mikeishi
Jul 21, 2007, 08:49 PM
TOTALLY FAKE.

Are there no other Flash designers here? This was obviously made with Flash.

This thing looks horrible anyways. The album content is wrong, the fonts are horrid.

Indeed this was made by someone who put some effort into it. But this is definitely fake.

DaBrain
Jul 21, 2007, 08:49 PM
Shame everyone seems to be going with fake now as the design was quite a good idea, if not just a little silly not being widescreen of course.

Your going to be waiting around a very long time if you think Apple's going to make you something like that, when they can rope you into additional services too like on the iPhone... :rolleyes:

Well you see, your dead wrong! Know why? Cause no way in hell will they rope me into an iPhone or anything else I don't want! It's pretty simple.

I Love my iMAC and think it's one great machine and IM totally satisfied with it. To me it truly is inovative.

However, if this is the next version of an iPod from Apple, they can keep it. It's more evolutionary rather than a new inovation and does not fullfill my needs.

Only time will tell! :rolleyes:

arn
Jul 21, 2007, 08:50 PM
added a Real vs Fake poll to the thread:

arn

Argent117
Jul 21, 2007, 08:52 PM
The font in these videos looks to be Arial Black or some variant.

The font is Helvetica Neue Bold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetica_Neue), which is also used on the iPhone GUI. Arial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arial) is a cheap, imitation variant of Helvetica.

But I think it's a fake, too.

Padriac
Jul 21, 2007, 08:52 PM
Whether these are specifically "true" or "fake", I think the deeper debate is whether the next iPods are "iPhones without the phones" or not.

My bet is "not". I think people need to get used to that idea. Apple is not going to "throw out" the iPod and it's hardware/software design and ecosystem just for the iPhone interface... the iPhone's success was an unknown quantity when the new iPods were being designed. I think Apple may let the iPhone ecosystem build over time and *then* piggyback a new iPod interface on top of that existing structure, but they won't jump in headfirst with no safety net. The iPod IS their cash cow which causes them to play it rather safe when it comes to updates.

displaced
Jul 21, 2007, 08:53 PM
Seems a little strange that Apple would not use their normal font for an iPod/iPhone user interface. The font in these videos looks to be Arial Black or some variant. The videos are well done but I'm doubting these are authentic.

Well, I believe the iPhone uses Helvetica as its font. These videos seem to also be using Helvetica. The reason it looks like Arial is that Arial is Microsoft's cheap-ass knockoff of Helvetica, used in Windows purely because MS wouldn't stump up the cash to licence proper fonts.

See http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/iphone_fonts

[edit: Beaten by Argent117 :) ... but still check out the daringfireball link!]

macEfan
Jul 21, 2007, 08:54 PM
I hope these rumors are true... the interface sure looks like apple to me. Reminds me of iphone....

Victor ch
They can't really eliminate the clickwheel. It's an icon, and people identify an iPod with the clickwheel.

Also, while everybody is complaining that it's not 16:9 ratio, what if it's not for the main iPod, but in fact for the Nano?

Hmmm... Lets hope its for the Nano, my 5th gen iPod just died and Im not buying the iPhone yet, hoping to see a touch screen in an iPod.

-Victor :apple:

dominatrix
Looks good. Okay, it looks great! Please don't make it ugly like the 9to5 rendering. I'm really glad I kept my 5.5G wrapped up for the past month. I'll have this iPod opened on 7 Aug!

u buy an ipod and keep closed for months ? are you really serious ? unbelivable. hope no new ipods on august 7th then u keep closed for some more months. :D:D:D:D:D
i really cant understand some people minds. I bought my iMAC C2D , 8 months ago, now im thinking i should ve done the same, keep closed for 8 months to wait for the new one..
hahaha my god..

Tom B.
Jul 21, 2007, 08:55 PM
Why would Apple have a high capacity dedicated music iPod when Videos typically take up more room?

Because, even though videos take up more room than music, most people will have more GBs of music than video. And I'm not saying their true video iPod would not also have a large capacity.

And how is the current iPod not a "true" video iPod? :confused:

The current 5.5G iPod is not a "true" video iPod because its main function is to play music, and the fact that it can play video is just a bonus feature. (Well thats what Steve Jobs said, at the 5G launch, anyway.)

QCassidy352
Jul 21, 2007, 08:55 PM
I don't think a lack of touch screen would be about protecting iphone sales. IMO it would be about sticking with a proven design that is closely associated with the iPod. Touch screen makes sense/is necessary on the iPhone because having a wheel and/or keyboard would take too much screen real estate that is needed for safari. That need isn't there on an iPod, so the clickwheel works. That said, watching movies would be a lot better with a touchscreen.

Nayrb
Jul 21, 2007, 08:58 PM
All I can really say if it's really anything like that without touch screen, I'd have to stick with my normal 5G.

And it would be just flat out stupid to change the width of the iPod too much from the sizes they are now, how pissed off would people be if they go out and get a new iPod and it doesn't sit into their 3rd party docking stations and other various media devices.

zzcoop
Jul 21, 2007, 08:58 PM
There's always the possibility that those "virtual clickwheel" rumors from a while back will find their way into the next iPod.

me-mac
Jul 21, 2007, 09:02 PM
in the 'playing now' video, the battery status gains power. hmm..

mikeishi
Jul 21, 2007, 09:03 PM
The font is Helvetica Neue Bold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetica_Neue), which is also used on the iPhone GUI. Arial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arial) is a cheap, imitation variant of Helvetica.

But I think it's a fake, too.

Yup, doesn't change the fact that the title fonts are way smaller than the content fonts... Uhm...

And look at that screwed up antialiasing on the content box in the "Now Playing" movie. Not to mention that the battery life totally changes from menu mode to fullscreen mode.

FAKE!!

iMeowbot
Jul 21, 2007, 09:04 PM
Sloppy.

Nicely arranged OS X clocks:

Cheesy clock numbers from video:

At Apple they know how to draw circles :p

cmoney
Jul 21, 2007, 09:06 PM
Whether these are specifically "true" or "fake", I think the deeper debate is whether the next iPods are "iPhones without the phones" or not.

My bet is "not". I think people need to get used to that idea. Apple is not going to "throw out" the iPod and it's hardware/software design and ecosystem just for the iPhone interface... the iPhone's success was an unknown quantity when the new iPods were being designed. I think Apple may let the iPhone ecosystem build over time and *then* piggyback a new iPod interface on top of that existing structure, but they won't jump in headfirst with no safety net. The iPod IS their cash cow which causes them to play it rather safe when it comes to updates.

I tend to agree with that. Also for the people hoping for iPods with wifi and all the PDA-type functionality like Safari, I don't think we'll ever see that. Sure you can make the argument that a touchscreen/widescreen music-focused iPod won't cannibalize iPhone sales, but I think it's a much surer bet that an iPod with Wifi and Safari, Maps, YouTube and widgets most definitely would cannibalize iPhone sales.

Apple has always been about carefully segmenting users and forcing them to go for the more expensive option if they wanted just one extra feature. Like back in the PowerBook/iBook days, if you wanted screen spanning, you had to go with the PowerBook.

I think eventually we'll see a unified platform/interface for iPhones and iPods. It just makes too much sense from a development cost perspective. Have a single internal API to build to and you can reuse code so much more easily. I think Apple is simply in a transition mode right now but that has to be the holy grail of OS X.

coreycore02
Jul 21, 2007, 09:09 PM
ok so i dunno if this is fake or not, but everyone is talking about how this might be the 6G ipod, but no one has thought maybe this is for the rumored iPhone nano.

makes sense when you think about it... the next ipod is supposed or at least i thought was to be more like the iphone interface sans the phone and more storage. all the rumors of the iphone nano point to a smaller phone that is more phone that ipod, but more a classical ipod than on the current iphone. plus theres stuff about how the iphone nano might use a click wheel.

does anyone else think like me or am i just being retarded, lol

cmoney

Nice catch. I think that's a dead give away right there!!

tekcor
Simple facts like it using something like Arial instead of Apple Myriad are convincing enough for me, but this is really not like an Apple UI at all. The fonts seem much bigger than I would expect, bigger it seems than the 5G out now. Also, how were these recorded? If this was really an amateur with one in their hands, don't you think it would simply be somebody holding a video camera while doing this? I mean, tapping the screen directly is not an easy. If they were produced by Apple, why are they not longer and actually demonstrate features? Look at the Leopard movies for example.

The whole variable-width split screen is awful. Why does the clock app take up 50% each, and the other menus take up more like 80/20?

Absolutely fake.

Matthew Yohe
Jul 21, 2007, 09:10 PM
Fake. Checkout the worldclock video (http://att.macrumors.com/downloads/ipod6g/ipodwc.mp4) at the 18 second mark.

Accra is a couple seconds AHEAD of Addis Ababa.

Also, this clock graphic shows a Rolex-esque sweeping hand. The iPhone's clocks currently depict a graphic of a second hand that 'ticks'.

cmoney
Jul 21, 2007, 09:16 PM
Accra is a couple seconds AHEAD of Addis Ababa.

Didn't you know there are some time zones that are seconds off GMT?

Bradley W
Jul 21, 2007, 09:17 PM
_

angelwatt
Jul 21, 2007, 09:19 PM
Check out the World Clock video and watch when the two times "Accra" and "Addis Ababa" at the end. Both labels on the right side say 5:55am. Its been a while since I've read an analog clock but I'm pretty sure neither says 5:55am, more like 4:55 and 9:55. This was obviously made by a youngster who grew up with only digital clocks. Also the second hands are slightly different from one another between the two, which makes no sense. There's a number of other small inconsistencies too, some of which other people have pointed out, that shows these videos are indeed 100% fake.

That said, they are well done and look nice. Wish I had time to make such neat things. Wonder how long it took them to put it together. This could have been made with Flash like another person mentioned.

Is there actually anyway to get a recording of the iPod screen?

cmoney
Jul 21, 2007, 09:19 PM
Although it would be cool if Apple did the bounce-in cover art. I really liked that detail for some reason. More animation would be cool.

cmonster
Jul 21, 2007, 09:22 PM
I have money set a side waiting for the the next ipod. I am hoping it is going to be like the the iphone. But if is is just a refresh of 5g ipod with a prettier interface I will be really disappointed. Now with the bigger screen on the iphone the 5g ipod seems so small. I may have to find a 5g ipod on ebay instead.

cmoney
Jul 21, 2007, 09:23 PM
Check out the World Clock video and watch when the two times "Accra" and "Addis Ababa" at the end. Both labels on the right side say 5:55am. Its been a while since I've read an analog clock but I'm pretty sure neither says 5:55am, more like 4:55 and 9:55. This was obviously made by a youngster who grew up with only digital clocks.

Actually the iPod and iPhone do this. It makes sense to put AM/PM indicators in a world clock.

powerbook911
Jul 21, 2007, 09:24 PM
Maybe someone knew the new design and copied it to demonstrate.

It seems like it is an interface that "makes sense," but I agree the videos seem to have mistakes.

They do need to keep click wheel IMHO because it makes things like scrolling through a song or podcast so much easier than that silly and tiny slide bar on the iphone.

iMeowbot
Jul 21, 2007, 09:24 PM
Actually the iPod and iPhone do this. It makes sense to put AM/PM indicators in a world clock.
That's fine. But both show the same digital time even though the dials differ ;)

Matthew Yohe
Jul 21, 2007, 09:26 PM
Didn't you know there are some time zones that are seconds off GMT?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Check out the World Clock video and watch when the two times "Accra" and "Addis Ababa" at the end. Both labels on the right side say 5:55am. Its been a while since I've read an analog clock but I'm pretty sure neither says 5:55am, more like 4:55 and 9:55.

Im not sure I get what you mean... AM/PM labels are represented fine. This is in 12-hour format.

*EDIT* Ah yes.. they both show 5:55 when one SHOULD say 9:55. Nice catch

freeny
Jul 21, 2007, 09:27 PM
Anything less then widescreen/multitouch interface will be strictly cosmetic and a poor update to say the least.

MacFly123
Jul 21, 2007, 09:31 PM
Well I am not a master or flash man. But I hope you are all right about this being fake... I have been waiting it seems like 2 FREAKIN YEARS for a Widescreen iPod, and if they pull this, as huge of an Apple fan I am, I have to say i will be pretty PISSED!!! The thing that scares me is the point of the scroll wheel iPod games which i think is a point, and Apple not wanting to canibalize the iPhone. On the other hand, what gives me hope is that order for the multi-touch screens that was placed. Those have to be for the iPod.

By the way... if they make an iPhone Nano with a scroll wheel, I think that will be stupid. Not to mention how many versions of OS X do we really think Apple has made for crying out loud LOL??? All these different kinds of iPods and iPhones that people are talking are different and would have delayed Leopard even more I'm sure.

You people that think the 6G iPod will be an iPhone without the phone seriously need to get your heads checked. Your telling me that if you ran Apple you would make that kind of a business decision??? There is NO WAY IN HELL Apple will make the 6G iPod like that LOL, it would be HORRIBLE for the iPhone. I hope you guys are never the C.E.O. of an important company lol. And even if you were the board would never let you make decisions that stupid and vote you out :p

Peace
Jul 21, 2007, 09:32 PM
Fake makers were dumb. Compare what you see in this video (http://att.macrumors.com/downloads/ipod6g/ipodnp.mp4) and here, on official Love track list:
"Because"
"Get Back"
"Glass Onion"
"Eleanor Rigby"
"Julia (Transition)"
"I Am the Walrus"
"I Want To Hold Your Hand"
"Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing"
"Gnik Nus"
"Something"
"Blue Jay Way (Transition)"
"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She's So Heavy)/Helter Skelter"
"Help!"
"Blackbird/Yesterday"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows"
"Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds"
"Octopus's Garden"
"Lady Madonna"
"Here Comes the Sun"
"The Inner Light (Transition)"
"Come Together/Dear Prudence"
"Cry Baby Cry (Transition)"
"Revolution"
"Back in the U.S.S.R."
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
"A Day in the Life"
"Hey Jude"
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"
"All You Need Is Love"

Good catch!!..Some of the songs listed in the video are not on the album Love.

Fake.

offwidafairies
Jul 21, 2007, 09:32 PM
i believed it. but thats coz i want to believe it. looking fwd 2 new ipod on aug 7th with or without touch screen. better than the last rumour

cmoney
Jul 21, 2007, 09:39 PM
That's fine. But both show the same digital time even though the dials differ ;)

D'oh! You're right! When they select the second clock, the digital display changes from 10:55 to 5:55!

sushi
Jul 21, 2007, 09:40 PM
Eventually, we will see a true video iPod. To do this, the screen needs to be bigger like the iPhone. The only way to accomplish this, is with a touch screen system.

As for the interface, as others have pointed out, there are inconsistencies. My guess, Fake.

Darkroom
Jul 21, 2007, 09:42 PM
i'm assuming that the iPods will be released the same day as the new iMacs... and since the new iMacs are rumoured to feature a new "metal" look, i'm sure the iPods will also follow suite... would be alike a big iPod Nano... very exciting...

however, i'd be surprised if these videos were real... i just can't see Apple choosing to display coverart on a random slant as depicted in this video... unless of-course that's what the cover looks like, in which case i'm just ignorant... you know what i mean :p

TheMotif
Jul 21, 2007, 09:50 PM
That interface is drop-dead sexy.

SpinThis!
Jul 21, 2007, 09:53 PM
cmoney: great post. I completely agree and couldn't have said it better myself... thought I'd reiterate some of what you mentioned:

I think it's a much surer bet that an iPod with Wifi and Safari, Maps, YouTube and widgets most definitely would cannibalize iPhone sales.
Yeh, it's all about building brands. What makes the "i" in iPhone is the Internet features. What makes the iPod so successful is its simplicity—a lot of people don't need all those features, they just want a portable walkman. There's not a lot of fluff and you get exactly what's advertised—an easy-to-use, great music (and video) player.

Have a single internal API to build to and you can reuse code so much more easily. I think Apple is simply in a transition mode right now but that has to be the holy grail of OS X.
Yeh... I think we'll see a lot more of Apple's OS X technologies in its portable devices for sure. It's not only reusing code, it's reusing the same/similar hardware components in different products. In this way you can purchase these en masse for a much greater discount. Part of the reason the iPhone is so full featured is the component cost. It's not because you want to do CoverFlow or Safari on the phone, it's because you might as well because the technology is there—that's one of the reasons why we don't see a touchscreen/OS X iPod yet for half the price of an iPhone... Apple can't realistically build that model to make its margins. It's really the UI part that makes it so pricey.

Apple has always been about carefully segmenting users and forcing them to go for the more expensive option...
I agree about segmenting but Apple is arguably not forcing anyone into a feature... it's more about selecting which hardware is going to most benefit its intended market. For multiple monitors, in your example, most casual users don't need/run more than one anyway. In that clear-cut simplicity, you can't always please everyone—but that's what makes Apple so successful is you know exactly what you're getting. Vista has a handful of flavors with a myriad array of choices—Mac OS X has one flavor.

LaMerVipere
Jul 21, 2007, 09:54 PM
Look at that font.

Fake.

monke
Jul 21, 2007, 09:59 PM
Quite honestly I like it, and it could be real.

Yet it just seems pointless. The iPod's interface could use a little update, but it's just so easy to use. As much as this cou be real, it just seems like Apple would have made it a little be easier to use. I'm not saying it looks hard, but it's certainly not as smooth/consistant as the current iPod interface.

BOOMBA
Jul 21, 2007, 09:59 PM
Pretty darn sure those videos are fake.

Wrong songs,
screwed up clock
ugly art transitions
clunky interface

nothing Apple-ish about them.

Tofaha
Jul 21, 2007, 10:02 PM
i like it...
but apple always has its mouth shut, so i don't think its real. but it would be nice if it was;)

mike dunx
Jul 21, 2007, 10:05 PM
If this really is the interface of the new ipod, and it's that midget thing that was posted a while ago then this will probably be the first ipod generation that I won't own. I do hope that if this is the case, that they offer firmware updates for the 5th gen to get some of the features shown.

bretm
Jul 21, 2007, 10:19 PM
Well I am not a master or flash man. But I hope you are all right about this being fake... I have been waiting it seems like 2 FREAKIN YEARS for a Widescreen iPod, and if they pull this, as huge of an Apple fan I am, I have to say i will be pretty PISSED!!! The thing that scares me is the point of the scroll wheel iPod games which i think is a point, and Apple not wanting to canibalize the iPhone. On the other hand, what gives me hope is that order for the multi-touch screens that was placed. Those have to be for the iPod.

By the way... if they make an iPhone Nano with a scroll wheel, I think that will be stupid. Not to mention how many versions of OS X do we really think Apple has made for crying out loud LOL??? All these different kinds of iPods and iPhones that people are talking are different and would have delayed Leopard even more I'm sure.

You people that think the 6G iPod will be an iPhone without the phone seriously need to get your heads checked. Your telling me that if you ran Apple you would make that kind of a business decision??? There is NO WAY IN HELL Apple will make the 6G iPod like that LOL, it would be HORRIBLE for the iPhone. I hope you guys are never the C.E.O. of an important company lol. And even if you were the board would never let you make decisions that stupid and vote you out :p

Here's what I'd do ya genius. I'd release the iPhone first, many many months first. Then, I'd release the phoneless iPod just like it. But it would have a hard drive instead and 80 gigs. It would cost, $499. There would be perhaps a 40gig or a 8gig flash version for $399 or $450 or something. Then you look at it as, hey $100 bucks more and I've got the better phone!

They may not even have to go that high in price point. It can be done. If that's what they want to do it can be done without cannibalizing the iPhone sales.

zflauaus
Jul 21, 2007, 10:22 PM
I say fake. But does anybody think that it could be a software update for the current 5th Gen iPods to get a new interface if the users would like? I think that is way out there, but I mean, ehh... Worth asking.

saxman
Jul 21, 2007, 10:26 PM
I think profit margin is the determining factor in whether or not the next gen iPod will have a touch screen or not. How much does the touch screen cost? Is that the biggest cost of the iPhone or is it other technologies? (I really don't know) I think they've got near 50% profit margin on most of their products, unless I'm mistaken.

If they can make a new iPod at the same price points and increase their profit margins at the expense of a touch screen, then I believe they will do so. If the touch screen does not drive the cost up (i.e., smaller profits) then they will incorporate it. It seems to me a financial decision at this point and has nothing to do with cannibalizing iPhone sales or moving the iPod technology forward. Until their profits drop on the current iPod design, there is no reason changing anything radical unless their market-share is in jeopardy. Look at the mobile computer market. Has the MBP design changed significantly since the aluminum powerbooks? Eliminating 12" laptops and having the consumer line all one size was more of a financial decision than an esthetic one I believe.

Never forget Apple wants to make money - and they've done that very well. Something stock holders like too

angelwatt
Jul 21, 2007, 10:32 PM

I wasn't trying to speak toward it being AM or PM, since there's really no way to tell, just that the text time in the label doesn't match the visual analog clock. It's an hour off.

LimeiBook86
Jul 21, 2007, 10:41 PM
I was just curious about how large the menus are compared to the real iPod. So I put the video file on my iPod and played it, then navigated the menus. I took photos of both. [Sorry they're gone.]

In the comparison attached you can see the differences in fonts, width of the bars and menus etc.

I personally think this is fake, but it does look very nice. That doesn't mean I don't like it, it's a very nice fake to whoever created it. :p Also I noticed, the video files are different, two are .mov files, and one is a .mp4 file. :rolleyes:

medazinol
Jul 21, 2007, 10:41 PM
Is this is real then it's a real shame.

I'm REALLY hoping Apple will add the touch-interface to the 6G iPod and do away with the clickwheel. I like the iPhone a lot but I can't see myself ditching a 30Gb iPod for an 8Gb model just because the touch interface is easier to use in a car and it's desperately crying out for a large screen.

My money is on a multi-touch iPod. The click-wheel will stay for the nanos.

JGowan
Jul 21, 2007, 10:45 PM
There is no way this is real -- FAKE as SHIZ

ajhill
Jul 21, 2007, 10:51 PM

Indeed. This video would be easy to fake in the new FinalCut Pro Suite. Motion comes to mind as the application used. At least they stuck to an Apple product to create the fake.

August 7 sound a bit too soon. Maybe touchscreen by Christmas, when the iPhone hysteria will have settled down into a mass movement. :D

JGowan
Jul 21, 2007, 10:52 PM
Wanted to post this great article from John Gruber of Daringfireball.net . Thought it quite appropriate....

Regarding OS X-Based iPods
by John Gruber

Friday, 13 July 2007

Two things have stuck with me from Steve Jobs’s big day-before-iPhone-launch address to all Apple employees. The first is that he admitted that Apple is working on OS X-based iPods.

It’s a little unusual for Jobs to reveal any information at all about future products, but in this case, it’s hard to see how it could be considered a secret. The basic original iPod form factor and software UI is great – it will deservedly be remembered as one of the best-designed consumer electronic products in history. But if you’ve used, or even seen, the iPod app on an iPhone, you know that it’s old news. It’s impossible to get excited about any “new” iPod that is less than the iPhone iPod app. As for “rumors” that new iPods are scheduled to debut this fall, that’s sort of like predicting that Christmas is coming in December. In fact, it’s the same prediction – Apple has been rolling out new iPods a few months before Christmas every year, for the obvious reason that they sell tens of millions of them as Christmas gifts.

Last year’s new iPods were rather pedestrian upgrades. Especially the hard-drives based models, which really only offered a handful of new software features compared to the original fifth-generation models that debuted in 2005.

The argument against OS X-based iPods debuting this fall is that Apple wouldn’t want to offer something that distracts from the iPhone yet. But what’s the alternative? To let the iPod – a brand worth billions of dollars – languish?

This brings me to the second notable remark from Jobs’s company-wide address. Taking questions from the audience, Jobs was asked if he was concerned that the iPhone would cannibalize sales of iPods. Jobs replied that if anyone was going to cannibalize iPod sales, it better be Apple itself.

This is the defining characteristic of Apple as a company, today: They replace their hit products while they’re still on top. Rather than building a lead over their competition and sitting on it, they just keep building. The best example of this was the introduction of the original iPod Nano. At the time, the best-selling iPods were the Minis. The iPod Mini was a smash hit product.

And when Apple debuted the Nano, they killed it.

Most companies wouldn’t even consider killing a product like the iPod Mini while it was still a best-seller; instead, they milk hit products for all they’re worth and ride them out for years. (Exhibit A: Motorola’s Razr.) One thing Apple could have done, but didn’t, was continue to sell iPod Minis alongside the Nanos. Apple treats its product line-up like a product itself – it is designed to be obvious and easy to understand.

Choosing which iPod to buy is easy: Do you want to carry a huge library and/or play video? Get a regular iPod. Do you just want something small to play music? Buy an iPod Nano. Want something tiny and inexpensive? Get the Shuffle. No matter how risky it might have been to kill the iPod Mini while it was still the best-selling iPod, there just wasn’t room for it in the line-up alongside the Nano.

(Compare and contrast to Verizon Wireless, whose chief marketing officer brags that they offer 18 different music-playing phones.)

The reason some people are skeptical about Apple introducing OS X-based iPods this year is that the question about cannibalizing sales works both ways: an iPhone-ish OS X-based iPod would surely have some detrimental effect on iPhone sales. AT&T might care about that, but why would Apple?

The simple truth is that the iPhone user experience doesn’t just blow away the experience of other companies’ cell phones – it blows away the experience of Apple’s own iPods. The biggest question, as I see it, is whether Apple plans to introduce iPods that are more or less just the iPod app from the iPhone (i.e. just music and video players), or iPods that are everything but phones, with Wi-Fi networking for email, web, and more.

Articlet Link (http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/os_x_ipods)

YourHippocampus
It looks cool. I like the moving backgrounds ... 'a la Leopard?!

However I would like to see the iPod stay iPodish for a while and turn the clickwheel into a trackpad that can do all of the things that multi-touch can do and yet have a backlit glow of the wheel when needed.

Also of course a widescreen iPod webnavigator (iPhone without phone) would be nice by Christmas.

Matthew Yohe
It also doesn't make sense that Apple would release a new iPod generation while in the middle of the college Mac + iPod promotion ending September 16th.

Historically (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/) it seems they have waited until after this type of promo has ended to release a new iteration.

Frisco
Jul 21, 2007, 10:53 PM
I say fake. But does anybody think that it could be a software update for the current 5th Gen iPods to get a new interface if the users would like? I think that is way out there, but I mean, ehh... Worth asking.

That will never happen--I guarantee that. That's just not how Apple operates.

pomus
Jul 21, 2007, 10:53 PM
:D:D:D:D:D

It's obviously fake. You can tell its fake for many reasons. The most obvious to me is in the world clock. When you see both clocks together, one of the "second" hands is in a different position that the other clock.

quite amusing though.;)

Mjolnir 998
Jul 21, 2007, 10:54 PM
what ever they end up releasing I hope they do release it on august 7, thats my birthday and it would be perfect timing, I need a new ipod and I'll be getting alot of birthday money that day.
*fingers crossed*

sam10685
Jul 21, 2007, 10:59 PM
not sure if I like it.
I think the touchscreen is the way to go.
But I will wait until I see it to make my final decision.

I just like the idea of August 7 as the possible announcement. I am tired of waiting.
Bring it on!

Ditto. Wallet's ready for this one. Never owned an ipod.

theperson
Jul 21, 2007, 11:04 PM
two are .mov files, and one is a .mp4 file. :rolleyes:

One was probably an mp4 so the faker could put the "interface" on his iPod and make it look like he had it.

Crisis averted

applekid
Jul 21, 2007, 11:06 PM
While I agree an iPod that is basically an iPhone without the phone may cannibalize sales, can you tell me how Apple can improve the iPod any further?

Better battery life? More storage? Lower price? I wouldn't calls that a 6G iPod...

Whatever the 6G iPod brings us, it has to be fresh and amazing. I haven't seen any improvements to PMP's from reading Engadget, so this is a good time for Apple to shake up the market again with a redesigned iPod.

sikkinixx
Jul 21, 2007, 11:08 PM
Wanted to post this great article from John Gruber of Daringfireball.net . Thought it quite appropriate....

Regarding OS X-Based iPods
by John Gruber
*snippage*

Good article. It's so true as well. When I read "click wheel" regarding an iPod I get a very big wash of disappointment. The iPhone interface looks amazing (haven't yet seen one, it sucks being Canadian at times) and everyone seems ot rave about it. A full-pull touch-screen iPod is what I wanna buy. If Apple just releases a prettier GUI on the same old 5/5.5G iPod then screw them. I won't upgrade. But if they come out with something actually worth my forking out more of my cash for....then my Visa is ready and willing :D

agentkow
Jul 21, 2007, 11:13 PM
It also doesn't make sense that Apple would release a new iPod generation while in the middle of the college Mac + iPod promotion ending September 16th.

Doesn't mean they couldn't pull an iPhone-like move by announcing it first and shipping it later.

cleanup
Jul 21, 2007, 11:17 PM
I don't think a fullscreen touch iPod would cannibalize iPhone sales much. If anything, it would've made more sense to apply the technology to iPods first, since they sell much better than iPhones, and then release a touch iPhone. Two different markets. One is a phone and has very little storage space and the other is a media player and has tons of storage space. Also, price. People who want an 80 GB touchscreen media player weren't going to buy an 600-dollar phone in the first place. It just doesn't make sense.

Bring on the touchscreen iPod!

Matthew Yohe
Jul 21, 2007, 11:22 PM
Doesn't mean they couldn't pull an iPhone-like move by announcing it first and shipping it later.

Yeah, no.

gloss
Jul 21, 2007, 11:29 PM
If these are real, I'll buy a Zune.

gkarris
Jul 21, 2007, 11:31 PM
If these are real, I'll buy a Zune.

Funny.

A fake iPod interface is still better than the real Zune one.. :p

It would make sense just to use the same iPod case but just update the OS and possibly use flash instead of a hard drive...

Wouldn't it be cool just to update the 5G iPods to the 6G OS/interface???

aswitcher
Jul 21, 2007, 11:33 PM
I see the Nano keeping the wheel but all this R&D to get the iPhone out suggests that an iPod with a HDD and no Phone would be an easy build for them and wipe out the competition for large capacity audio players.

Its a waiting game now...

gloss
Jul 21, 2007, 11:40 PM
It would make sense just to use the same iPod case but just update the OS and possibly use flash instead of a hard drive...

Wouldn't it be cool just to update the 5G iPods to the 6G OS/interface???

It really wouldn't. They've been riding this design for far too long. It needs to change, significantly. And the Zune interface looks great - but they don't have a click wheel, and that's the dealbreaker.

QuarterSwede
Jul 21, 2007, 11:42 PM
I see the Nano keeping the wheel but all this R&D to get the iPhone out suggests that an iPod with a HDD and no Phone would be an easy build for them and wipe out the competition for large capacity audio players.

Its a waiting game now...
I also think that if they did release the 6G iPod (large capacity) with an interface like that people will be pissed. Especially because the iPhone's iTunes interface makes that look like an antique. Shame on you Apple is this is real. Although, I too could definitely see it on the Nano.

rockosmodurnlif
Jul 21, 2007, 11:45 PM
off topic but ...

Apple didn't kill off the mini. They made it smaller, rebranded it, and continued to sell the mini until they ran out. Then they redesigned the nano so it resembled the mini.

The iPod isn't a communicator, its a multi-media device. If I follow Mr. Gruber's logic, the new iPod will continue to play media. Those who want Safari, wifi, will get an iPhone.

on topic ...
So this new interface with coverflow and all, even if it is fake, I keep hearing coverflow making appearances, what about people like me who don't have album cover art? Am I just going to be seeing a square with a music symbol or do I get the classic interface as well?

holmesf
Jul 21, 2007, 11:46 PM
You guys missed the most obvious piece of evidence that this is fake:

The album art has perfect anti-aliasing at the borders. Even on a desktop computer, this high level of anti-aliasing would require a relatively new GPU. The anti-aliasing in iTunes coverflow for Mac/PC doesn't even look this good. On a mobile device, this is just NOT possible.

But even more than that, there are no aliasing artifacts at all in the spinning album art animation. I guess the new iPod's video accelerator is better than my Radeon X1900...

It's pretty clear that this was made using video compositing software.

To reiterate fake fake fake fake fake

gkarris
Jul 21, 2007, 11:47 PM
It really wouldn't. They've been riding this design for far too long. It needs to change, significantly. And the Zune interface looks great - but they don't have a click wheel, and that's the dealbreaker.

But remember, these are for the iPods, NOT the new Video iPod(?).

I would think Apple will replace the 30Gig with a 32Gig flash model, and keep the 80Gig model. Both will have the 6G OS/interface. Current 5G owners can do a system update to the 6G one!

Then, later in the fall, comes the true Video iPod (just the iPhone without the phone).

jdkmac
Jul 21, 2007, 11:48 PM
I also think that if they did release the 6G iPod (large capacity) with an interface like that people will be pissed. Especially because the iPhone's iTunes interface makes that look like an antique. Shame on you Apple is this is real. Although, I too could definitely see it on the Nano.

People should be upset if this is the new iPod interface and I agree with QuarterSwede, shame on apple if they do release this. Jobs touts the iPhone iPod as "the best iPod ever" .... if we get anything but a touchscreen iPod, consumers simply aren't getting the best iPod interface. I desperately need a new iPod, as my 3G hold about 90 mins of battery, but I will pass on this if it is the best they can release. That said, it's apple, so I am really not worked up. I'm sure whatever they release will blow the skeptics away.

TheBobcat
Jul 21, 2007, 11:50 PM
Anything less than multi-touch in the new iPod, and there will be a lot of very angry people who will start considering alternatives. Apple should be careful of taking its iPod marketshare for granted. The click wheel a new device will seem antique and would be the wrong move.

Like it or not, the click wheel died as the dominant interface for (regular) iPods the moment iPhone came out. It's too intuitive and downright cool to hold back. If Apple cripples the new iPod by holding out on multi touch to try and milk its consumer base more, I can imagine a lot of people who will seriously consider alternatives.

nexsta
Jul 21, 2007, 11:55 PM
i was pretty sure that the 6g will have iphone like touch controls but after all this scary "clickweehl will come back to 6g news" im getting really a bit scared that it won't happen :(
steve accalimed that the iphone with his multitouch controls is the best ipod they've created why on earth he would not use the same iphone style ipod (which he said is the best) and create an updated 5g gui and then say ok thats not the best ipod (like in the iphone) but its still better than the 5g...that will really not happen!with the multitouch control you can just navigate so much more accurate and faster than on any clickweehl!i can't really imagine that they would not integrate this new technology in the 6g and choose to go one step backward and add the clickweehl, that would be one big disappointment !

gkarris
Jul 21, 2007, 11:55 PM
Anything less than multi-touch in the new iPod, and there will be a lot of very angry people who will start considering alternatives. Apple should be careful of taking its iPod marketshare for granted. The click wheel a new device will seem antique and would be the wrong move.

Like it or not, the click wheel died as the dominant interface for (regular) iPods the moment iPhone came out. It's too intuitive and downright cool to hold back. If Apple cripples the new iPod by holding out on multi touch to try and milk its consumer base more, I can imagine a lot of people who will seriously consider alternatives.

What would be the alternative - a Zune?

The clickwheel works great - so why not keep the costs down and use it?

It's like saying that airplanes need to stop using those "jet engines" - "jet engines" are soooo 1960's...

Papajohn56
Jul 21, 2007, 11:56 PM
I wonder, if this is true, if current iPod owners will see an update to bring themselves to a similar interface.

zzcoop
Jul 21, 2007, 11:59 PM

Why? Even a "crippled" clickwheel iPod will still be vastly superior to any of the alternatives. I could see your logic if the alternatives were, in any way, better.

JoshH
Jul 22, 2007, 12:00 AM

Yikes... you're right. Interesting...

Aldyn
Jul 22, 2007, 12:09 AM
if this is true, i am highly disappointed.

QuarterSwede
Jul 22, 2007, 12:15 AM
What would be the alternative - a Zune?

The clickwheel works great - so why not keep the costs down and use it?

It's like saying that airplanes need to stop using those "jet engines" - "jet engines" are soooo 1960's...
That analogy doesn't fly (pun intended) because there really isn't anything better than the jet engine for planes even 50 years later.

Also, once Apple introduced multi-touch, the click-wheel ceased to be the best interface.

iBookG4user
Jul 22, 2007, 12:18 AM
I doubt that this is the new interface, I think it will be something completely new and revolutionary. Although, I don't think it will be like the iPhone interface so it will differentiate the product lines.

kymac
Jul 22, 2007, 12:31 AM

thats one of the new features duh!

The Flan Bandit
Jul 22, 2007, 12:33 AM
I just want a wifiPod. An iPod that you can email from. With a touchscreen. And I want it to be cheaper than the iPhone by a couple hundred dollars.

I love my nano, but come on. Wouldn't that be easy to make at this point? Just take the dang phone stuff out and cram a few more gigs of memory in-- or maybe more batteries. Either way, I'd buy it. I'd wait in line for it.

Have they trademarked "wifiPod" yet? If not, they should.

The Flan Bandit
Jul 22, 2007, 12:40 AM
Wait, sorry. Who am I kidding? Because of the Airport brand, they'll have to call it "airPod." Still.

ErikGrim
Jul 22, 2007, 12:56 AM
Also, once Apple introduced multi-touch, the click-wheel ceased to be the best interface.Bull. The click-wheel allows a continuous smooth motion when scrolling. The "flicking" is a throwback to any other MP3-player interface where you have to do repetitive abrupt motions.

Anyway, why did this EVER reach front page? It's just ridiculously sloppy. These fakers should study the iWalk hoax for a lesson in how to make believable fakes.

QuarterSwede
Jul 22, 2007, 12:58 AM
Bull. The click-wheel allows a continuous smooth motion when scrolling. The "flicking" is a throwback to any other MP3-player interface where you have to do repetitive abrupt motions.

Anyway, why did this EVER reach front page? It's just ridiculously sloppy. These fakers should study the iWalk hoax for a lesson in how to make believable fakes.
Obviously "best" here is subjective. The click wheel and multiple menus just doesn't cut it for me now.

cmoney
Jul 22, 2007, 01:01 AM
I just want a wifiPod. An iPod that you can email from. With a touchscreen. And I want it to be cheaper than the iPhone by a couple hundred dollars.

I love my nano, but come on. Wouldn't that be easy to make at this point? Just take the dang phone stuff out and cram a few more gigs of memory in-- or maybe more batteries. Either way, I'd buy it. I'd wait in line for it.

Have they trademarked "wifiPod" yet? If not, they should.

Never gonna happen. The iPod will remain a media player device and the iPhone will be the communications device.

Camui
Jul 22, 2007, 01:07 AM
Hmm, I highly doubt something like this would be leaked...
Aas of this moment in time, it really seems fake.

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 22, 2007, 01:08 AM
um i pray to god that they do not come out with this version of the ipod.. Everyone is expecting a widescreen one...

cmoney
Jul 22, 2007, 01:10 AM
Bull. The click-wheel allows a continuous smooth motion when scrolling. The "flicking" is a throwback to any other MP3-player interface where you have to do repetitive abrupt motions.

Flicking on an iPhone isn't the same as other MP3 players because the iPhone also has the random access alphabet selector down the right side. Random access will always be faster than a sequential access click wheel.

NoRights
Jul 22, 2007, 01:15 AM
"Icon" is a strong word to use when you're talking about the clickwheel. True, people recognize an iPod when they see that little wheel there, but it's evolved with the rest of the design. I can't see hanging onto it strictly for recognizability if it doesn't serve some functional purpose. I mean, we all recognize a TV with the old bunny ears but they still make TVs without them...

w_parietti22
Jul 22, 2007, 01:17 AM

The only reason why Apple did this is because it takes a few months for FCC approval and Apple didnt want them releasing it before they did.

This is obviously a fake but I really hope the new iPod comes out on the 7th because I've been waiting since may.

theheadguy
Jul 22, 2007, 01:20 AM
I guess the new iPod's video accelerator is better than my Radeon X1900...
It's pretty clear that this was made using video compositing software.
To reiterate fake fake fake fake fake
duh. who can design a new interface on an ipod? obviously it's done using some type of mac software before being ported or converted or whatever to an ipod. it's a design process.

what rubbish comments... looks real to me. gawd a lot of negative people here.

nimbuscloud
Jul 22, 2007, 01:21 AM
That interface is nice.

I think that it's possible that they can have 2 tiers of new HDD iPods. One like what's shown...with a click wheel, and one that is touch screen. The click wheel interface can be use for for the low tier iPod and the iPod Nano, and the touch screen almost just like the iPhone's.

New iPod "click" 80GB = $299
New iPod "touch" 120GB = $399

But still, IMO, they should just go with one interface and input. Maybe after they release the iPhone in EU, then we can see a touch iPod. Maybe in November or January for MacWorld...but they need to do SOMETHING for Xmas...especially with the Nanos.

:apple:

bdkennedy1
Jul 22, 2007, 01:22 AM
As usual, if they are real then Apple legal will have them pulled. If not, then they're fake.

queshy
Jul 22, 2007, 01:30 AM
it looks really real...if it isn't than it's a good fake! I really thought there would be all touch controls...mainly since the technology is clearly there.

MacFly123
Jul 22, 2007, 01:55 AM
I think profit margin is the determining factor in whether or not the next gen iPod will have a touch screen or not. How much does the touch screen cost? Is that the biggest cost of the iPhone or is it other technologies? (I really don't know) I think they've got near 50% profit margin on most of their products, unless I'm mistaken.

If they can make a new iPod at the same price points and increase their profit margins at the expense of a touch screen, then I believe they will do so. If the touch screen does not drive the cost up (i.e., smaller profits) then they will incorporate it. It seems to me a financial decision at this point and has nothing to do with cannibalizing iPhone sales or moving the iPod technology forward. Until their profits drop on the current iPod design, there is no reason changing anything radical unless their market-share is in jeopardy. Look at the mobile computer market. Has the MBP design changed significantly since the aluminum powerbooks? Eliminating 12" laptops and having the consumer line all one size was more of a financial decision than an esthetic one I believe.

Never forget Apple wants to make money - and they've done that very well. Something stock holders like too

I can agree with you, but I really think that if the next gen iPod is not fullscreen, they will not be staying ahead of the game like they need to and it will open up their market share to serious jeopardy.

pocketrockets
Jul 22, 2007, 02:10 AM
Why not make a touchscreen click wheel??? DUH!

At first I hoped for wifi. But after seeing this rumor, I hope just to get a 16:9 touchscreen!! I will be very very mad if Apple comes out with this old technology. I've been burning my DVD movies in preparation for something like a TRUE VIDEO IPOD over the last week.

Bye Bye Baby
Jul 22, 2007, 02:14 AM
If Apple does not bring to the market the full screen touch ipod it will be a clear sign that Apple is not the company that it says it is. "Our products are the best products in the world"- Mr. Steve Jobs (basically every year he works at Apple).

It would be a clear case of Apple NOT making the best product it could.

If Apple falls into the easy option of 'limiting' some products it makes in order to protect other products this shows a real flaw in their thinking and a real limit in their ability to create products.

Why not make the ipod some super product giving it some excellent features that distinguish it from the iphone and that make it desirable?

Really, such backward thinking from Apple... if it is the case!

MacFly123
Jul 22, 2007, 02:16 AM
So this new interface with coverflow and all, even if it is fake, I keep hearing coverflow making appearances, what about people like me who don't have album cover art? Am I just going to be seeing a square with a music symbol or do I get the classic interface as well?

Time to organize your music library and get all the album art lol.... It sucks at first.. I went through one by one, but once its done its amazing, much better organized, and easy to maintain! Otherwise, YES you will be looking at little music notes on a blank album image :p

cmoney
Jul 22, 2007, 02:20 AM
Time to organize your music library and get all the album art lol.... It sucks at first.. I went through one by one, but once its done its amazing, much better organized, and easy to maintain! Otherwise, YES you will be looking at little music notes on a blank album image :p

iTunes can automatically missing download album art for you nowadays.

jhedges3
Jul 22, 2007, 02:29 AM

The font is not arial. The tops of the t's are not cot off at an angle. The ends of the strokes on the "C" are horizontal, not at a slight angle as they are with arial. It looks more like helvetica and is, as far as I can tell consistent with that, with the exception of the "a" the tail of which could be out a bit more.

To me, everything thing seems real real with the videos. I'm not doubting them.

Phobophobia
Jul 22, 2007, 02:29 AM
It's real. Videos removed.

MacFly123
Jul 22, 2007, 02:31 AM
iTunes can automatically missing download album art for you nowadays.

I know! What I meant was I did that, but then i had to go through one by one because I have a lot that iTunes didn't find. What it didn't find i got from Amazon with those little apps, and some others I had to do myself.

sammich
Jul 22, 2007, 02:34 AM
If Apple does not bring to the market the full screen touch ipod it will be a clear sign that Apple is not the company that it says it is. "Our products are the best products in the world"- Mr. Steve Jobs (basically every year he works at Apple).

It would be a clear case of Apple NOT making the best product it could.

If Apple falls into the easy option of 'limiting' some products it makes in order to protect other products this shows a real flaw in their thinking and a real limit in their ability to create products.

Why not make the ipod some super product giving it some excellent features that distinguish it from the iphone and that make it desirable?

Really, such backward thinking from Apple... if it is the case!

Would you still buy the more expensive Macbook Pro over the Macbook if the only difference was the screen size?

The iPhone is clearly a premium device, it has heaps of features because it helps it do what it does best, managing your day and for listening (and seeing) your music. Apple would need to create a whole new line of (niched) iPods.

If you carried both your iPod and your mobile phone with you everywhere, which one would you use more? Now combine the two and compare it with just using an iPod. So if the 6G iPod had a multi-function touchscreen how often would you be using it? Probably even less than the 5G iPod.

So, basically you're asking Apple to make a iPhone, without the wireless capability.

Given that, I think that people would buy into a fully functional say, iPod Pro (think PDA) with wireless b/g. But this wouldn't get Apple any ongoing revenue from phone companies.

lofight
Jul 22, 2007, 02:36 AM
why did Arn move that post ?? it's not anymore on the homepage...

arn
Jul 22, 2007, 02:40 AM
I had to remove the video/images, per request from Apple.

arn

jhedges3
Jul 22, 2007, 02:41 AM
why did Arn move that post ?? it's not anymore on the homepage...

Yeah. I'm getting confused. First the videos go down. Now the post isn't even on the homepage.

lofight
Jul 22, 2007, 02:41 AM
I had to remove the video/images, per request.

arn
oh, i never even saw the video/images, that's because i just woke up , i live in europe...

buy i saw the text and then a minute later it dissapeared, why? :(

iMeowbot
Jul 22, 2007, 02:43 AM
Ewww! I sure hope that wasn't quite done yet.

alexm13
Jul 22, 2007, 02:48 AM

Yeah right, if the new iPod was to have all that then what was the point of making an iPhone. Plus an iPod is for music, how often would you really watch videos on it anyway? But don't get get me wrong I would love a 16x9 iPod with a hundred gig hd and coverflow.

vendettabass
Jul 22, 2007, 02:51 AM
damn! I didn't see it! :(:(

ashon3611
Jul 22, 2007, 02:53 AM
someone must have an archived copy of it... hint hint...

nimbuscloud
Jul 22, 2007, 02:54 AM
I should have saved it. Darn.

:apple:

Matthew Yohe
Jul 22, 2007, 02:56 AM
Don't worry... videos of a fake future iPod interface aren't that interesting.

chopcho
Is it this one ? :confused:
http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.4032

Or it was something else ?

lofight
I really want to see the video and images, because i didn't see it before it got removed, from who did Arn need to delete the post?? apple?

vendettabass
someone must have an archived copy of it... hint hint...

:eek: do you have it!

lofight
Jul 22, 2007, 02:58 AM

i think it's that

or is it a fake?

ashon3611
Jul 22, 2007, 03:00 AM
:eek: do you have it!

no but that link above looks like it could be it

devilot
Jul 22, 2007, 03:02 AM
... from who did Arn need to delete the post?? apple? He already stated. ;)

I had to remove the video/images, per request from Apple.

arn

lofight
Jul 22, 2007, 03:03 AM
He already stated. ;)

but what does per request mean, is that from someone but he's not wont tell us who?

zap2
Jul 22, 2007, 03:07 AM
hmmm...well I guess Apple might be using that design for the iPod 6G...great, one more thing I want, but can't afford

:(

alexm13
Jul 22, 2007, 03:07 AM

you have got to be kidding me, I'm in bed on my iphone and apple hasn't released the flash plugin yet so I guess I'm not gonna see it:(

zap2
Jul 22, 2007, 03:09 AM
but what does per request mean, is that from someone but he's not wont tell us who?

No, that means Apple's legal team, asked him...like a favor. He didn't have to do it, but then Apple would get mad at him if he didn't...risking invites media invites, lawsuit etc

lofight
Jul 22, 2007, 03:10 AM
No, that means Apple's legal team, asked him...like a favor. He didn't have to do it, but then Apple would get mad at him if he didn't...risking invites media invites, lawsuit etc

oh, okak , didn't think apple would be browsing sites about it's rumors :p:p
but okay, now i know

Skull21
Jul 22, 2007, 03:12 AM
New Ipods Aug. 7:)

alexm13
Jul 22, 2007, 03:14 AM
ok, i saw it, its probably a fake, at least I hope it was! :D

dfnj123
Jul 22, 2007, 03:35 AM
does it mean it's ture because apple made Mac Rumors take the videos for the internet

siurpeeman
Jul 22, 2007, 03:41 AM
does it mean it's ture because apple made Mac Rumors take the videos for the internet

not necessarily. if it isn't true, apple might not want a backlash of people expecting one thing and getting another. also, i don't think apple appreciates people making videos copying their look and feel.

Killyp
Jul 22, 2007, 03:56 AM
Oh I don't think they do actually mind if people make mockups of their designs and software. Don't forget there have been plenty of faked 'updated GUI' Leopard shots (before we saw the final thing), and Apple has never once wanted to see those gone.

Yet when something real does get leaked, such as the G5 specs, then the same thing happens that happened here, they want to censor the information.

zoomage
Jul 22, 2007, 03:57 AM
not necessarily. if it isn't true, apple might not want a backlash of people expecting one thing and getting another. also, i don't think apple appreciates people making videos copying their look and feel.

You think Apple Legal contacted MacRumors at midnight on Sat night for fake videos?

these are definitely real.

coffeecty
Jul 22, 2007, 04:02 AM
Well then, if the link to the youtube video up there is an indication of what it'll look like... Damn.

dfnj123
Jul 22, 2007, 04:04 AM

Thats all three of the videos in one videos

siurpeeman
Jul 22, 2007, 04:05 AM
You think Apple Legal contacted MacRumors at midnight on Sat night for fake videos?

these are definitely real.

lawyers don't really have lives, especially apple's legal department; they work all hours of the night.

zoomage
Jul 22, 2007, 04:08 AM
lawyers don't really have lives, especially apple's legal department; they work all hours of the night.

regardless, Apple has never had fake videos/photos pulled.

dfnj123
Jul 22, 2007, 04:11 AM
regardless, Apple has never had fake videos/photos pulled.

ture.... more of a reason to believe these are true. Looks like I'm not getting the iPhone I planed on getting today. :(

Markleshark
Jul 22, 2007, 04:12 AM
It's quite obvious they are real.

Darkroom
Jul 22, 2007, 04:36 AM
i guess we all now know they were real since apple legal stepped in...

robPOD
Jul 22, 2007, 04:41 AM
:)ok i saved them .pm me if you want them and i will give u a url to a rar of all 3
and i must say im extremely pissed about no touchscreen ive been waiting for how long for one of them

EDIT: DONT PM ME ANY MORE I JUST GOT LIKE 20 requests in like 5 mins / i dont want apple legal sending another cease and desist to MR
however let me point you towards this picture http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6029/untitledjf8.jpg

maverick808
Jul 22, 2007, 04:53 AM
Apple would be in big trouble if they went around forcing people to take down random content. These videos must be real then since Apple had them pulled.

I had made up my mind to buy a new iPod the day they came out because I was so sure they'd be touchscreen. There's no way I'm going to buy anything that has a clickwheel. The only small hope I have to cling to now is that these are videos from the 6G Nano and the full iPod could still have a touchscreen, web browsing, email, etc... basically be the iPhone minus phone.

If the Nano and full iPod both still have clickwheels then I'm definitely not buying either.

robPOD
Jul 22, 2007, 05:03 AM
thanks didnt want to get in trouble with mac rumors again ive just been banned for 3 months lol

MacRumorUser
Jul 22, 2007, 05:18 AM
The video has been posted on YouTube. Just google '6g ipod interface'

I'm slightly dissapointed to be honest. I'm ready to blow €600 on a new ipod - but need a substantial upgrade to my 5g 60gb model. I do like to keep all my albums in one place, and I've already filled the 60gb capacity.

I have resisted buying the 80gb version as I know in my heart the extra space isn't enough and within 12 months it will be filled.

So idealy I'd would like a 100gb model, with a lot of the touch screen cool features of the iPhone - but it looks like I'm out of luck.

No touch screen, makes me :o but I'd probably still buy if the bump the HDD capacity. But if its all flash nand memory they plan on using, then I am seriously out of luck, and the new iPod will probably be the first generation of ipods I skip.

KLFloyd
Jul 22, 2007, 05:20 AM
Looks like I'm not getting the iPhone I planed on getting today. :(

This is exactly why, fake or not, Apple Legal wanted them pulled.

dfnj123
Jul 22, 2007, 05:31 AM
This is exactly why, fake or not, Apple Legal wanted them pulled.well... when has apple ever pulled fake stuff before?

maverick808
Jul 22, 2007, 05:33 AM
This is exactly why, fake or not, Apple Legal wanted them pulled.

Apple can not legally have anything fake pulled. These are definitely real. Imagine if you could go around making people take down things they made up, things they imagined... that would mean the end of free speech.

Lone Deranger
Jul 22, 2007, 05:42 AM
As slick as these videos look, there are a few things "wrong" with them as pointed out by others.
I'm not entirely conviced these are actual digital captures of the real thing in action. However, considering Apple asked these to be pulled, they might have some merit. Perhaps they could simply be visual proof of concepts/previsualizations mocked up by Apple's designers beforehand.

LeviG
Jul 22, 2007, 06:09 AM
havent read every post.

But isnt it possible that this interface (assuming real) would go onto the iPod nano or even the rumoured iphone nano, neither of which are likely to have a touchscreen display.

Also theres no reason why apple wouldn't keep a music orientated iPod and add in a full touchscreen iPod video using a similar os to iPhone.

If it is real I wonder if this will be a firmware upgrade to older iPods :confused:

NoRights
Jul 22, 2007, 06:11 AM
Apple can not legally have anything fake pulled. These are definitely real. Imagine if you could go around making people take down things they made up, things they imagined... that would mean the end of free speech.
Yes, that's why they didn't care when that iPhone delay rumor that cost them in stock was spinning around. It wasn't true, why tell somebody to pull it? :rolleyes:

maverick808
Jul 22, 2007, 06:16 AM
Yes, that's why they didn't care when that iPhone delay rumor that cost them in stock was spinning around. It wasn't true, why tell somebody to pull it? :rolleyes:

I think in that case all they did was point out that the rumor was false and no legal action was taken.

NoRights
Jul 22, 2007, 06:21 AM
I think in that case all they did was point out that the rumor was false and no legal action was taken.
Telling somebody that their info is false and that they should take it down and telling somebody that their potentially false info should be taken down because it may hurt your bottom line are almost exactly the same thing

aswitcher
Jul 22, 2007, 06:49 AM
I wonder if this was an Apple early prototype, even for the 5.5G. In other words it may or may not be what appears next, but it is Apples.

Chris Bangle
Jul 22, 2007, 06:55 AM
Ive been so immersed in the deathly hallows that ive completly missed this. anyone know a link where i can find this please. I dont know whats going on but it seems legit.

BlakTornado
Jul 22, 2007, 06:57 AM
Telling somebody that their info is false and that they should take it down and telling somebody that their potentially false info should be taken down because it may hurt your bottom line are almost exactly the same thing

Not really.

I don't think Apple would be allowed to remove content because it may harm their product line... after all, there is loads of bad crap about Apple online. There are sites that list the problems with their products, etc. If Apple could remove content because it may affect their product sales then I'm sure they would remove that. It was those sites that single handedly stopped me wanting a Macbook :P

thesdx
Jul 22, 2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks, robPOD! I was worried I wouldn't get to see these videos. If anyone wants them incase robPOD's upload gets pulled, I'd be happy to email you the rar. Please don't PM me! It's better to send this stuff OUTSIDE of MacRumors. Just to be safe. :)

Edit: Opps. My email is computerworks101@gmail.com

xUKHCx
Jul 22, 2007, 06:59 AM
Ive been so immersed in the deathly hallows that ive completly missed this. anyone know a link where i can find this please. I dont know whats going on but it seems legit.

I didn't see the original so cant verify it to be the one myself but several people seemed to think this video is the same one.

thesdx
Jul 22, 2007, 07:00 AM
That's it. The only thing not original is the fancy titles.

dfnj123
Jul 22, 2007, 07:01 AM
I didn't see the original so cant verify it to be the one myself but several people seemed to think this video is the same one.
yeah... thats the 3 videos linked together

NoRights
Jul 22, 2007, 07:13 AM
Not really.

I don't think Apple would be allowed to remove content because it may harm their product line... after all, there is loads of bad crap about Apple online. There are sites that list the problems with their products, etc. If Apple could remove content because it may affect their product sales then I'm sure they would remove that. It was those sites that single handedly stopped me wanting a Macbook :P
There's a big difference between pointing out an existing products' flaws and leaking or falsifying new ones

siurpeeman
Jul 22, 2007, 07:16 AM
is it me or is this thread not on the front page anymore?

Shorties
Jul 22, 2007, 07:18 AM
I am freaking out right now, I dont know what to do, I just ordered brand new Macbook Pro for college and got an 80GB iPod for $150 (After the rebate) and the cannon Printer for free. I ordered this on Friday but my credit card didn't go through for some weird reason, so I canceled it this morning and was going to re order the stuff (Because I also wanted to switch from Glossy to Matte after playing with my friend's Matte Macbook Pro). The free printer thing ends on Monday, so I have to order it today (Sunday). How sure is everyone that they will update the iPod line on the 7th? Should I get the 80GB iPod and then just sell it? I need as much space as possible and the chance that the new one might have more would probably make it worth it for me. I need the Macbook now though as my current PC is falling apart. (BSOD every 30 minutes).

dfnj123
Jul 22, 2007, 07:21 AM
is it me or is this thread not on the front page anymore?

read what the first post says and you'll understand

How sure is everyone that they will update the iPod line on the 7th?for the past few weeks this rumor has been going around.

Superdrive
Jul 22, 2007, 07:30 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing this. I figured these would be gone when I first saw them last night. I'm glad to see them gone! I've got my money ready!

abrooks
Jul 22, 2007, 07:31 AM
Bah! Imagine a rumour site that bows to the demands of Apple legal.

What is the world coming to?

zeppo93008
Jul 22, 2007, 07:31 AM
Supposedly this new iPod is coming out soon. How much memory?

30GB 60GB or 80GB

I hoped that Apple will offer 80GB,

if NOT, I will plan on keeping my 80GB iPod. I noticed that the iPhone
is only 8GB. Not Enough Memory there. Could be that the iPod may be
offered the same memory like the iPhone. Hoped Not. We'll See.

Shorties
Jul 22, 2007, 07:40 AM
Supposedly this new iPod is coming out soon. How much memory?

30GB 60GB or 80GB

I hoped that Apple will offer 80GB,

if NOT, I will plan on keeping my 80GB iPod. I noticed that the iPhone
is only 8GB. Not Enough Memory there. Could be that the iPod may be
offered the same memory like the iPhone. Hoped Not. We'll See.

If this is really the 6 gen iPod it will have a max of at least 80GB maybe 100GB (Have they come out with a 120GB iPod sized drive yet?)

thesdx
Jul 22, 2007, 07:48 AM
I've posted the videos on YouTube. Click the link below to point you in the right direction: ;)

http://www.divshare.com/download/1338872-404

The Toon Master
Jul 22, 2007, 07:54 AM
I tried videos

stopped workin after 1-2 seconds..

MIDI_EVIL
Jul 22, 2007, 07:55 AM
Yeah, are they still uploading?

Rich.

thesdx
Jul 22, 2007, 08:16 AM
It happened to me, too. I'm having an issue with my Comcast broadband. It can't keep a steady connection. I thought it was that, but I guess others are having problems, too. I might need to convert the video.

mac4drew
Jul 22, 2007, 08:26 AM
Videos are posted elsewhere on YouTube. Gizmodo links to em.

(Have they come out with a 120GB iPod sized drive yet?)

I remember hearing that either Samsung or Toshiba has. I've said for years I'm not buying one until 120GB hits so I'm looking forward to this.

age234
Jul 22, 2007, 08:28 AM
I am freaking out right now, I dont know what to do, I just ordered brand new Macbook Pro for college and got an 80GB iPod for $150 (After the rebate) and the cannon Printer for free. ...

I'm in the same boat. My student discount ends in a few months, and I planned on ordering a MacBook and iPod this week.

I watched the clips again, and they look like mockups, not screen captures. So these things could be in early development and won't come out for months. Or maybe they're close to finishing and more people at Apple are seeing the final product, and someone unrelated to the iPod division found the clips on the Apple internal network and sent them in. I wish we knew the Creation Date of the original files, that would help a lot.

I guess I may wait until August 7 just to see if the rumors have anything to them. Although this stuff is mostly eye candy, it doesn't really affect the usability of the iPod, so it's not too big a deal, because this probably won't add much new functionality (and it's too bad there's not a status bar while the song is playing).

TheSilencer
Jul 22, 2007, 08:30 AM
The video from DAPReview is still working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpYWvKXJgC4
If you want to download it, use Keepvid.
http://keepvid.com/
You need VLC Player or another player that can handle FLV media, as you sure know.
They sure will talk to youtube to remove the vids, get it quickly.

Well, if this is true, it could just be for the iPod Nano only. The big "video iPod" has to be widescreen, in my opinion.

angelwatt
Jul 22, 2007, 08:38 AM
Despite Apple's request for removal I'm sticking with my original post that these are fakes. At most they were mock-ups, which could partly explain all the errors in them and why the date in them is January. That said, if they were early mock-ups, the final design will be very different, as is the nature of design. Wouldn't worry too much about 6G iPods looking like these videos show.

People who missed the videos, you're not missing much. They were just a few seconds long each and didn't cover much, but were obviously not from a real iPod.

TheSilencer
Jul 22, 2007, 08:41 AM
Agreed, they look more like early concept arts and it´s a long way from concept to final.

mobilehavoc
Jul 22, 2007, 08:43 AM
If these are even indicative of what the new iPod interface will be like then I'm even happier I got an iPhone now instead of waiting for a iPhone-like iPod. :D

MIDI_EVIL
Jul 22, 2007, 08:49 AM
Those of you stating it's fake because the battery life actually goes up, perhaps it wasn't edited in chronological order...????

I vote real.

Rich.

gloss
Jul 22, 2007, 08:50 AM
God, Apple. If the iPod ends up with that interface, count me out. They introduced the iPhone as 'the best iPod we've ever made'. If the 6G can't match or trump the iPhone's interface in some way, then what's the point?

zioxide
Jul 22, 2007, 09:17 AM
I really hope that the next iPods aren't some widescreen multi-touch ****, or at least they still offer a model like the 5G.

The problem with multi-touch is that you have to always look at the screen to push a button, change a song, change the volume, etc. I can do all of this on my 5G without even looking at it. Additionally, you can't really operate multi-touch with one hand. You need to hold the device in one hand and touch with the other.

I wouldn't mind if they refined the GUI a little bit more. Why couldn't they add coverflow to an iPod that's like the 5G? They could add a bit more eye-candy to the current iPod interface and I would be more than happy. It would be nice if they included a higher resolution screen, so the GUI would be much sharper and nicer looking.

All I want is a 120GB White iPod with a click-wheel interface like the 5.5G. I don't care about watching videos on it. I just want enough room for my music. I'd also love for them to add a radio (FM and AM so I can listen to the game).

zzcoop
Jul 22, 2007, 09:28 AM
I must be an idiot, because I operate my 3G iPod with both hands while looking at the screen.

RoboCop001
Jul 22, 2007, 09:29 AM
I really hope that the next iPods aren't some widescreen multi-touch ****, or at least they still offer a model like the 5G.

The problem with multi-touch is that you have to always look at the screen to push a button, change a song, change the volume, etc. I can do all of this on my 5G without even looking at it. Additionally, you can't really operate multi-touch with one hand. You need to hold the device in one hand and touch with the other.

I wouldn't mind if they refined the GUI a little bit more. Why couldn't they add coverflow to an iPod that's like the 5G? They could add a bit more eye-candy to the current iPod interface and I would be more than happy. It would be nice if they included a higher resolution screen, so the GUI would be much sharper and nicer looking.

All I want is a 120GB White iPod with a click-wheel interface like the 5.5G. I don't care about watching videos on it. I just want enough room for my music. I'd also love for them to add a radio (FM and AM so I can listen to the game).

I think you can still change songs and volume without looking on a touchscreen. I mean, I really like that I can do that with the clickwheel, and always thought it would be a little cumbersome to constantly take a touchscreen iPod out of my pocket just to change the song.

But that can be fixed with gestures that are like the scrollwheel. I've already posted this a couple times, so I'll keep it short. But basically, when the gesture commands are active (let's say the iPod knows when it's in your pocket, or maybe these gesture commands can be permanently turned on/off), you make a circular motion with your finger on the screen to change volume.

The sides of the screen can be hot corners or hot sides, each with a specific command. Tap the right side, and it skips forward. And since there's not lots of room in a pocket to maybe actually tap it, maybe it can also be activated with just doing a tiny slide motion on the corresponding side or corner of the screen.

I think that could work.

bdj21ya
Jul 22, 2007, 09:29 AM
I am freaking out right now, I dont know what to do, I just ordered brand new Macbook Pro for college and got an 80GB iPod for $150 (After the rebate) and the cannon Printer for free. I ordered this on Friday but my credit card didn't go through for some weird reason, so I canceled it this morning and was going to re order the stuff (Because I also wanted to switch from Glossy to Matte after playing with my friend's Matte Macbook Pro). The free printer thing ends on Monday, so I have to order it today (Sunday). How sure is everyone that they will update the iPod line on the 7th? Should I get the 80GB iPod and then just sell it? I need as much space as possible and the chance that the new one might have more would probably make it worth it for me. I need the Macbook now though as my current PC is falling apart. (BSOD every 30 minutes).

This much I can gaurantee: if the new iPods are released during this promotion, the promotion WILL NOT be applicable to the new iPods. Get the 80GB and sell it.

Zadillo
Jul 22, 2007, 09:31 AM

Well, I think there have been rumors that Apple could "split" the iPod line more; have a traditional music-centric iPod which would retain the classic iPod design, and a separate multitouch iPod with the iPhone interface.

-Zadillo

This much I can gaurantee: if the new iPods are released during this promotion, the promotion WILL NOT be applicable to the new iPods. Get the 80GB and sell it.

Yeah, hasn't that happened before actually? I don't quite remember the timeframe, but I seem to recall that last year when they were doing the "free iPod nano" deal, and the 2G Nanos came out, they came out before the promotion ended, but they specifically weren't included.

-Zadillo

mobilehavoc
Jul 22, 2007, 09:33 AM
Additionally, you can't really operate multi-touch with one hand. You need to hold the device in one hand and touch with the other.

Sounds like either you haven't really used an iPhone or have hand-eye coordination issues. Although this was a worry of mine when purchasing an iPhone I use all the features regularly with one-hand including typing. Maybe I'm just skilled?;)

bdj21ya
Jul 22, 2007, 09:35 AM

I originally though it would require two hands as well, however, as a proud iPhone owner, I can confirm that I can do every task (except pinching of course) with one hand. You do have to look at it more, which is a shame, AND it is a pain to unlock it when you want to change something about the music (I think they ought to disable unlock during iPod usage personally, or at least make it an option--I never have a problem accidentally hitting the wake button, so I'd love to turn off locking altogether really).

EDIT: Actually you can turn off locking, but then the screen stays on too.

hsvguy
Jul 22, 2007, 09:40 AM
I'm voting fake. The interface just isn't clean enough to be Apple's. And the transitions just don't look right to me.

Something I did notice, and that tipped me off, (don't know if this has been mentioned) is the world clock application in these videos. The seconds hand doesn't 'tick' like in OS X and the iPhone world clock app. i just moves around smoothly.

It's a tiny thing I know, but why would Apple change something when they could simply use existing code?

I reckon they're fake

Mac-Addict
Jul 22, 2007, 09:44 AM
If it is fake, which im not saying.. why would Apple request to take it down.. Apple love rumors its what keeps their company in the hype all the time.

Zadillo
Jul 22, 2007, 09:50 AM
If it is fake, which im not saying.. why would Apple request to take it down.. Apple love rumors its what keeps their company in the hype all the time.

If it's fake, but it gets spread around, it could negatively impact the company. As many have already noted, for example, this UI looks unfinished and not all that great, at least in some people's opinions.

That could have a serious impact; imagine that it gets spread around and people say "this is what the new iPod UI" is going to look like. It could dampen enthusiasm for the upcoming iPod, it could cause people to sell off Apple stock because this made them think the next iPod would be a dud.

These are extreme examples, but these are exactly why companies generally try and control what is put out, and why they also act on anything that is fake or premature.

Yes, Apple loves rumors, but not negative ones. And they like to control the presentation of information; obviously Apple would not have liked it if the actual iPhone UI, etc. leaked out well in advance of them announcing it.

-Zadillo

zub3qin
Jul 22, 2007, 09:59 AM
It's not Fake. Apple pulled it down in a millisecond.

Here is the video for those that missed it:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/say-it-ain.t-so/rumored-6g-ipod-user-interface-may-be-real-but-old-news-281077.php

Loge
Jul 22, 2007, 10:02 AM
Why are people assuming that this is the new interface running on new hardware. It could be the new interface running on existing hardware. I still expect the 6G to be a more suitable design for playing widescreen movies. If this doesn't happen, maybe it's time to get an Archos for video.

Counter
Jul 22, 2007, 10:02 AM
If Apple pulled it, my money is on it being real for sure. Pleeeeeenty of fake mockups out there...

zub3qin
Jul 22, 2007, 10:08 AM
Why are people assuming that this is the new interface running on new hardware. It could be the new interface running on existing hardware. I still expect the 6G to be a more suitable design for playing widescreen movies. If this doesn't happen, maybe it's time to get an Archos for video.

That is an interesting point.
Are IPODs able to have their whole GUI updated via a firmware update?
If so, Apple could simply offer a firmware update for $20 to upgrade your exisitng ipod. There has to be some sort of new Hardware feature coming or else why buy the new ipod?

I think it will be touchscreen ipod, and the video leaked will be a new ipod nano OR a firmware upgrade for existing ipods.

QuarterSwede
Jul 22, 2007, 10:12 AM
I'd definitely say this is real since the videos have been pulled (Apple never requested to pull a fake or mockup before).

Apple, I hope your reading this thread. Multi-touch is where it's at now. If you want to please people that don't want to touch a screen or look at it, why not include a remote clickwheel or just plain remote to pause or switch songs quickly? Easy and cheap.

My vote still is that this is for the Nano (or similar small device) since multi-touch on that would be hard to use. Although, Gizmodo is probably right in that these are older 6G concepts before the iPhone interface. Seriously, who wants to use that when everyone loves the iPhone iPod interface ... and it makes all the competition look ancient?

macflurry
Jul 22, 2007, 10:12 AM
If Apple pulled it, my money is on it being real for sure. Pleeeeeenty of fake mockups out there...

Maybe they intentionally released this video to throw the mac rumor community off? Isn't there talk that they did this with the iphone?

zub3qin
Jul 22, 2007, 10:15 AM
Maybe they intentionally released this video to throw the mac rumor community off? Isn't there talk that they did this with the iphone?

I don't remember any iPhone or iMac or Macbook spyvideo ever being released that was pulled down. I also don't remember any spyvideo ever actually being real. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If Apple is pulling something down, then there is truth to the spyvideo.

NoRights
Jul 22, 2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah, but those are usually labeled as, "Here's a quick mockup to illustrate the idea." This one was billed as potentially being a leak from inside Apple. And considering the negative attention it got while it was up, I wouldn't doubt them being worried about how it reflected on them, especially since it's a product they're probably very close to actually releasing

QuarterSwede
Jul 22, 2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah, but those are usually labeled as, "Here's a quick mockup to illustrate the idea." This one was billed as potentially being a leak from inside Apple. And considering the negative attention it got while it was up, I wouldn't doubt them being worried about how it reflected on them, especially since it's a product they're probably very close to actually releasing
There have still been plenty of "this is a possible leak" pictures or videos. Anyone remember the widescreen iPod snapshot from inside the factory? That was eventually proven to be a fake and it didn't get pulled.

Show me one time where Apple actually had something pulled and it turned out to be fake.

MLeepson
Jul 22, 2007, 10:28 AM
I believe that it's real, why else would Apple pull it? But I think that it was a concept, not a final.

cleanup
Jul 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
Well, irregardless:

New iPods on August 7th, right?

If so, you can usually expect Apple to blow you away somehow, especially after the 4G, 5G, and 5.5G were essentially all the same basic design (4:3 screen with Click Wheel) with mere software upgrades (adding video, better games, search, etc.).

I don't see how Apple COULDN'T radically turn things around with the 6G. I'm sure there'll be something fun to be bought, which is just in time since my Nano is running out of space! And I just got it earlier this year. :o

zub3qin
Jul 22, 2007, 10:32 AM
OK I just changed my mind. I don't think this is real.

Why? Well, isn't it amazing that no pictures of the iPhone came out prior to release? And isn't it even more amazing that half a million iPhones were sitting on store shelves the day it came out, but no photos came out before then? There are thousands of people involved in iPhone release (many not employed by Apple)-- factories, trucks, shipping, boxing, instruction manual, labeling, printing, website design, Apple Stores-- all who had access in some way, prior to the release date.

People from China to the US. Poor and rich.
Not one of these people could be bought off or could sneak a photo out?

I think if Apple can stop non-Apple employees worldwide from sneaking so much as a picture of a box out, there is no way a video clip from inside Apple HQ is getting out.

That being said, this could be a preliminary interface design from some time ago. All we know is that this clip was made sometime after November 2006 (the date of Beatles Love album release).

ToddW
Jul 22, 2007, 10:42 AM
well we know the have been working on the osx base ipod since the iphone project was started up. i think it is an early concept. i guess we wil find out. but my gut tells me it is the final product and 9to5 was right on the mock up. wouldn't that be funny!

rockthecasbah
Jul 22, 2007, 10:55 AM
Something about it seems just blatantly fake, but then why remove it? I think it was a preliminary design, but not final, for the 6th gen. Visually it's quite dull, too dull for Apple's premier iPod. Legal probably pursued this because it IS real, though it is not REAL in the sense that this is the final version you'll see on new iPods. Also, it seems like if it were an official video from Apple, it would include shots of the actual iPod at least once, not just the software. Since preliminary designs would only need the software, i drew that conclusion to be an earlier design.

Very interesting...

thesdx
Jul 22, 2007, 11:09 AM
Something about it seems just blatantly fake, but then why remove it? I think it was a preliminary design, but not final, for the 6th gen. Visually it's quite dull, too dull for Apple's premier iPod. Legal probably pursued this because it IS real, though it is not REAL in the sense that this is the final version you'll see on new iPods. Also, it seems like if it were an official video from Apple, it would include shots of the actual iPod at least once, not just the software. Since preliminary designs would only need the software, i drew that conclusion to be an earlier design.

Very interesting...

I agree. I think it was an early candidate for the 6G. They have probably already scratched that design, but somehow it got leaked out. I'm assuming the 6G iPod will be like an iPhone without the phone and some of the Wi-Fi features.

mrparet
Jul 22, 2007, 11:11 AM

You do realize that there's an alphabet "index" on the iPhone that allows you to jump to any letter, right? Unless you have a bazillion songs under a single letter, this works for most people.

Also, the iPhone takes physics/momentum into account. When you flick, the phone doesn't just stop scrolling when you lift your finger; it keeps going, and you can stop it by touching the screen when you see the song/artist/album that you want. The MP3-players you are referring to don't have such advanced technology in them. If you have ever used an iPhone, you know how fluid the interface is. Navigating is a non-issue.

mkrishnan
Jul 22, 2007, 11:27 AM
I agree. I think it was an early candidate for the 6G. They have probably already scratched that design, but somehow it got leaked out. I'm assuming the 6G iPod will be like an iPhone without the phone and some of the Wi-Fi features.

Yeah, it might have just been some kind of mock up that has been tossed around inside Apple but doesn't necessarily represent what they're doing.

PhatBoyG
Jul 22, 2007, 11:36 AM
Why? Well, isn't it amazing that no pictures of the iPhone came out prior to release?

I presume you mean before it was announced, right? There were plenty of pictures after MW07. Beforehand yes, it was kept pretty quiet. These videos show the UI, not the unit itself. And I think they're very plausible and inline with keeping an iPod an iPod and not an iPhone.

Cloudsurfer
Jul 22, 2007, 11:39 AM
That's either fake, or Apple hasn't polished the interface yet. I hope it's the first.

Also, I hope the next iPod will have a clickwheel.

Peace
Jul 22, 2007, 11:46 AM
We will never,ever see PDA type software on an iPod. This is reserved for the iPhone. That's it purpose.
Any 6G top of the line iPod will have a wide touch screen GUI utilizing coverflow and multi-touch.Apple has shown us the direction they are going.
The click wheel may well stay in the Nano but it too will be a "smooth touch" as seen in recent patent's.
To say that the 6G iPod will have everything the iPhone has except the phone part is fantasy.That would cut into the product differentiation.
Apple wants people to know the difference between the two.And by doing so keep sales of iPods and iPhones hopefully at the pace they are currently at.

lofight
Jul 22, 2007, 12:03 PM
I think, that it's a real prototype version that apple made in January, and it leaked from apple. And now they have made a more sophisticated version with more features, but i still think that apple's next ipod will be without toutchscreen, serious, why do we need a toutchscreen? a ipod is only for music and video, the rest like internet is for the iphone. and for music and video we don't need a toutchscreen. the clickweel is very good invention for easy music and video scrolling.

I think the specs of the new ipod 6G are:

60GB or 120GB version with fm radio.

mhuk01
Jul 22, 2007, 12:07 PM
serious, why do we need a toutchscreen? a ipod is only for music and video, the rest like internet is for the iphone.

we need a touchscreen for music and video because the clickwheel simply takes up too much space for watching movies etc. How can the ipod evolve into a true video player when half of the front is taken up permanently by navigation? the iphone gets it right in this respect, only showing navigation options when they are needed...

jjd
Jul 22, 2007, 12:08 PM
Check out the World Clock video and watch when the two times "Accra" and "Addis Ababa" at the end. Both labels on the right side say 5:55am. Its been a while since I've read an analog clock but I'm pretty sure neither says 5:55am, more like 4:55 and 9:55. This was obviously made by a youngster who grew up with only digital clocks. Also the second hands are slightly different from one another between the two, which makes no sense. There's a number of other small inconsistencies too, some of which other people have pointed out, that shows these videos are indeed 100% fake.

That said, they are well done and look nice. Wish I had time to make such neat things. Wonder how long it took them to put it together. This could have been made with Flash like another person mentioned.

Is there actually anyway to get a recording of the iPod screen?

Yep - noticed the same thing. Furthermore, Accra and Addis Ababa are only three hours apart, not five - UTC and UTC +3. Its fake, thank God.

lofight
Jul 22, 2007, 12:10 PM
we need a touchscreen for music and video because the clickwheel simply takes up too much space for watching movies etc. How can the ipod evolve into a true video player when half of the front is taken up permanently by navigation? the iphone gets it right in this respect, only showing navigation options when they are needed...

Yes, okay toutchscreen is a good thing to move the manual clickwheel but i still think the clickwheel will be added in the toutchscreen. but i mean that the ipod will not have features like wifi or email or internet such things....