PDA

View Full Version : Apple do not get cheap on FIREWIRE!!!

mymemory
Jul 24, 2003, 11:36 PM
Damn! every time I have to deal with that I see the dark side of Apple. When in hell am I gonna be able to connect a fire wire video box like the Hollywood Bridge or the Canopus and being able to rund my Quicktimes movies in DV format and enjoy the qualities of the clips on my TV???

I damn you Apple for being so cheap in your Quicktime capabilities!!!

All I want is to play any DV clip and look at it in my firewire video camera or use my VJ softwares with my Sony DVMC-DA2 converter to have a good broadcast video output quality... why is that so hard? is not OSX the mos advance system outhere? why not delivering all the capabilities?

All I have is the crappy s-video output that is way too far from been broadcast.

I'm tire to open Final Cut Pro every time I want to see a clip on decent quality on my TV. I was able to run JEPG movies with my old 1997 Miro DC 30 PCI card, why not do that 5 years later with DV? are we going forward or backwards? are we saving features for future hard times?

Damn it!:mad:

cast128
Jul 25, 2003, 12:15 AM
if you have any idea what this guy just said, could u please tell me!

Alte22a
Jul 25, 2003, 12:19 AM
hmmm Sounds like a case of QT pro. I know how you feel about shelling out for another 30$ for QT pro. I just think that QT pro should be bundled in free with the power line.

funkywhat2
Jul 25, 2003, 01:12 AM
mymemory, you've got FireWire? I thought the G3 systems you used were pre-FireWire...:confused:

DrGonzo
Jul 25, 2003, 09:38 AM
On my dv machine (though it's windows xp) when i'm working in premiere i get a preview of the video either on my lcd screen on the dv cam, or i can use the av cables and hook it up to my tv. ANd dude you need to ****ing clarify what you're trying to say cause it makes no sense.

Schiffi
Jul 25, 2003, 12:32 PM
Just like to clarify that DrGonzo's thing also happens with OSX and Premiere. Very good quality for my D8 cam anyway.

applemacdude
Jul 25, 2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by funkywhat2
mymemory, you've got FireWire? I thought the G3 systems you used were pre-FireWire...:confused:

dont the pismo have firewire?

mymemory
Jul 25, 2003, 07:41 PM
Pismos have Firewire, that is why I have 3 of them.

I want to have my videos in DV codec and play them and see them on my tv trhu my firewire video converter. If my clips are in DV format any converter should be able to reproduce that to video... but it is not like that.

I used to have a Miro Motion DC 30 Plus PCI video card with a Motion MPEG Codec and every time I open a video clip under that codec the video went trhu the card and I could see it in my TV with a broad cast resolution.

Now, that is a very old technology... why I can not have that with DV codec? what apple is waiting for?

Any of the video converter out ther need driver, all of them work under the same codec (DV), why do I have to import my clips in to Final Cut Pro or Premiere to be able to see them with my video converter?

That is the problem.

Mblazened
Jul 25, 2003, 07:54 PM
are you complaining that your four year old computers are not running as well as a contemporary powermac? hmmmm, i wonder why that could be.

h'biki
Jul 27, 2003, 06:15 AM
Basically you want to have the capability to output DV via firewire with any program that supports QT Output Components. Try Echo Fire by Synthetic Aperture:

http://www.synthetic-ap.com/products/echofire/

BTW, S-Video is broadcast quality. Hell, composite video is often used in broadcast. Component is a luxury used in post-production.

In the end, it comes down to the codec behind the connection and not the connection itself. I'd rather Digibeta via composite than DV25 (miniDV) via firewire.

Its only now with the AJA IO that anything greater than DV25 has been delivered via FW.

(just correcting urban myths)

h'biki
Jul 27, 2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by mymemory

I want to have my videos in DV codec and play them and see them on my tv trhu my firewire video converter. If my clips are in DV format any converter should be able to reproduce that to video... but it is not like that.

Yes, it does seem strange that Apple doesn't offer 'DV Out via Firewire' as an option in Quicktime Player. It wouldn't be particularly difficult to implemement - the analogue conversion of the DV stream would be done by the converter/camera.

The other option is iMovie.