Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacOSRumors posts an update claiming that the future Powerbooks will have backlit keyboards throughout the entire line.

iMacs are also supposed to get mild case revisions -- slightly smaller and lighter:

Whether the shell would actually be made of metal, or would simply be silver-backed plastics similar to previous PowerMac G4 enclosures, is not yet clear; it is definite that the changes are coming, however

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
the actual MOSR quote about the PowerBooks is here:
one notable tidbit we've been able to dig up is this: all three models are expected to sport Apple's fiber-optic backlit keyboard/dynamic screen brightness adjustment system. The 12-inch model may also be getting thinner -- if not in the very next revision, by the time the next update rolls around we should see 12-inch Powerbook G4s around an inch thick....or less.

wether or not it's true, it's still quite interesting, and I'd love it to be true... but meh, we'll see.

Spart

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2002
Iowa
Fiber optic?

I could have sworn the lighting method was something else, though I could be wrong. Then again, expecting MOSR to check their facts before posting is a little too much. If you're going to make up crap, at least make sure the stuff you say can't be disproved with confirmed, non-rumor info in the public domain.

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally posted by Spart
Fiber optic?

I could have sworn the lighting method was something else, though I could be wrong. Then again, expecting MOSR to check their facts before posting is a little too much. If you're going to make up crap, at least make sure the stuff you say can't be disproved with confirmed, non-rumor info in the public domain.

it is fiber optic. I remember the keynote vividly on that portion. was such a cool feature. man. but yeah, it is fiber optic. and ambient light sensors control that and the brightness of the display.

danielgrenell

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Bronx, NY
they are not going to change the color of the imac, the imac is a consumer product, consumer products are white, professional products are silver/grey

Omek

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
MMMmmm.... backlit keyboards across the entire line. That would be awesome.... Come on Apple release those suckers! Or at least announce them and tell us that Moto is kinda slow so we can at least pre-order them!!!

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Originally posted by Omek
MMMmmm.... backlit keyboards across the entire line. That would be awesome.... Come on Apple release those suckers! Or at least announce them and tell us that Moto is kinda slow so we can at least pre-order them!!!

I wish they would too, but they'll probably wait til it's go time before mentioning one word about new books. gotta sell off that surplus somehow....

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Originally posted by jbomber
I wish they would too, but they'll probably wait til it's go time before mentioning one word about new books. gotta sell off that surplus somehow....

What surplus? Apple is legendary for keeping a low, low inventory. It's one of the (few) things investors like about Apple. The tibook is now 8-9 months old w/o change. They've had plenty of time to burn inventory. They're waiting for the 7447s from Moto and I'll bet they've got them. 1.3 ghz 7447 w 512k L2 and no L3. We'll see if my "source" is good.

SubGothius

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Tucson, AZ
White, black or chrome?

As posted by MacOSRumors.com:
Whether the shell would actually be made of metal, or would simply be silver-backed plastics similar to previous PowerMac G4 enclosures, is not yet clear; it is definite that the changes are coming, however
I think an iMac chromed on the inside (same as it's currently painted white on the inside) of the matte-finish clear plastic shell could look rather nifty, and the chrome Apple logo on the outside of the shell would seem to "hover" over the chrome plating on the inside. I wouldn't mind seeing the iMac offered in a variety of appearances again -- no more candy colors, too passé by now thx, but how about choosing your iMac in white, black (pics, more pics), or inner-chromed?
Originally posted by danielgrenell
they are not going to change the color of the imac, the imac is a consumer product, consumer products are white, professional products are silver/grey
...for now, but that could change; e.g., professional products are metal-clad, whereas consumer products would be plastic-clad.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by danielgrenell
The '"i" line of Macs used to be blue, the pro G3's used to be green, things change.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Originally posted by Omek
Or at least announce them and tell us that Moto is kinda slow so we can at least pre-order them!!!

I don't think there's a need to do this. Unlike the Power Macs the PowerBooks still sell good enough to keep the announcement until they're really available within a short time.

Morpheus

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2003
What would be really cool is if they put a light behind the crome apple logo on the imac...then when you turned the lights out the edges of the logo would glow

As for black imacs...looks too much like a dell. Maybe chrome, but even that seems reserved for the powermac/book lineup

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
backlit keyboards...

on a 12" pb would be cool.

I'd even consider to trade my ibook for a PB then. Right now, the extra value is to little, but since I like working darker environments, it would be a major benefit.

phampton81

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
typical MOSR

These guys are great, they will never cease to amuse me.

"One thing we can say for sure is that the etire product line will see at least minor revisions within the next year"

Now don't be hasty MOSR you wouldn't want to give too solid a rumor we could pin you with.

snofseth

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
I dont think appple can make the 12" thiner unless they loose the cd drive, they may be able to add the backlit keyboard but not thiner. I think there is not enough room in the computer. The 15 and 17 have much more space so they can be thiner. I think if they removed the cd drive it could be thiner than the 17" but that doesn't seem something that apple would do then you need an exteranal cd drive. I think most of the I apps dont support them well.

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
yeah, I dont know how Apple could make it thinner unless they went up to a 14.1" screen. (then they could have a higher resolution) so maybe they will go up two inches...

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen
yeah, I dont know how Apple could make it thinner unless they went up to a 14.1" screen. (then they could have a higher resolution) so maybe they will go up two inches...

the powerbooks won't be replacing a 12" with a 14". there would almst be no differenve between them and the 15"

anyway, backlit keyboards should be put into the destop models. pro and consumer.

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
the powerbooks won't be replacing a 12" with a 14". there would almst be no differenve between them and the 15"

anyway, backlit keyboards should be put into the destop models. pro and consumer.

there would be a difference if it wasn't widescreen and the 15.2 went to the oft rumored 15.4. 1.25 inches between the two and the 15.4 would be widescreen.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Re: backlit keyboards...

Originally posted by visor
on a 12" pb would be cool.

I'd even consider to trade my ibook for a PB then. Right now, the extra value is to little, but since I like working darker environments, it would be a major benefit.

yeah, I feel the same way. Not enough difference b/t the 12" PB and an ibook to justify the extra cost as of now, but if they add some of those cool "pro" features to the 12" PB, that would be a different story.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen
there would be a difference if it wasn't widescreen and the 15.2 went to the oft rumored 15.4. 1.25 inches between the two and the 15.4 would be widescreen.

the whole purpose of the 12 was for portability, by making it such an insignifigant amount smaller then the 15, who would buy it

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I'm betting the iMac hemisphere goes metal because of the heat produced by the faster G4's.

Also, add a (desperately needed) graphics card update, and it's going to need fans or different materials.

If they make the dome smaller, they're going to have to go with portable hard drives like those found in the PowerBooks.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Re: Re: backlit keyboards...

Originally posted by QCassidy352
Not enough difference b/t the 12" PB and an ibook to justify the extra cost as of now, but if they add some of those cool "pro" features to the 12" PB, that would be a different story.

Wait? I disagree. I do believe the 12 incher has enough features to justify the extra cost. It is lighter (4.6 compared to 4.9), It has the option for a superdrive. It has a G4 (altivec, etc.), Bluetooth built in, and can be airport extreme ready. That is good enough for me. You can solve the keyboard problem with a worm light (if it comes right down to it). I know it isn't as good, but what the hay.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Originally posted by ryan
The '"i" line of Macs used to be blue, the pro G3's used to be green, things change.

The pro G3's were never green, they were Bondi Blue like the original iMac, hence they are now referrred to as the B&W (Blue and White) G3's.

ph_555_shag

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2003
Adelaide Australia
god that black iMac REALY does look Dell like........... I LOVE the white iMacs they havea very clean look, changing to metal would make then look much less apealing to my eye

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.