Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codycartoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
I was thinking of getting it...i have an iBook and it would be nice to wonder around my house and be connected... I have a dial up will it still be a decent connection? Whats the difference with airport extreme?

thanks
-cody

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Well, dialup or broadband, Airport extreme wouldn't really help... It's more for networking, file transfers, etc. And anyway, your machine can take one or the other, and iBooks can't use AE. But it is a very convenient, highly adaptable, and highly expandable network option, i think you'l be happy with it... you'll be surprised how much use you get out of it...

pnw

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Unless you have DSL or cable, wireless networking will not be worth it since it will be too slow. I currently have a wireless network set up in my house (SBC-Yahoo DSL) and it's wonderful to surf on the net on my laptop around the house.

As for the Airport Extreme vs. non-Extreme (802.11b vs. 802.11g), I would say it is not worth getting Extreme. The theoretcial speed of 802.11g is 54 mbps, but it rarely achieves it. I currently have a laptop equited with an 802.11g card and router, and I rarely get speed above 11 mbps.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by macktheknife
Unless you have DSL or cable, wireless networking will not be worth it since it will be too slow.

I don't think it will slow down your current modem connection. You should be able to get the same speed wirelessly that you are getting 'wired'.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Dial-up or broadband, wireless is the way to go. Yes, you'll have a lot of unused wireless bandwidth if you connect through dial-up, but the point of wireless is to be wire free so the unused bandwidth is not an issue.

I'm almost completely wireless now; with my university finally getting the wifi net in I can now use my own laptop to connect at school so I can use my own bookmarks, have my email go to my own email client, and use my platform of choice. :D :D

Go wireless if at all possible.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by macktheknife
Unless you have DSL or cable, wireless networking will not be worth it since it will be too slow. I currently have a wireless network set up in my house (SBC-Yahoo DSL) and it's wonderful to surf on the net on my laptop around the house.

As for the Airport Extreme vs. non-Extreme (802.11b vs. 802.11g), I would say it is not worth getting Extreme. The theoretcial speed of 802.11g is 54 mbps, but it rarely achieves it. I currently have a laptop equited with an 802.11g card and router, and I rarely get speed above 11 mbps.
well perhaps.
but with an 11 mbit airport you get about 3 mbit.

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
wireless is worth it. regardless of DSl or cable modem or 56k dial-up. to not be anchored to your phone line is very nice.

go for it! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.