PDA

View Full Version : Panther vs Jaguar on XBench... Panther is faster.

MacBytes
Jul 25, 2003, 01:46 AM
Category: Benchmarks
Link: Panther vs Jaguar on XBench... Panther is faster. (http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-07-24#254)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Nermal
Jul 25, 2003, 06:46 AM
I can't wait to get Panther. A speed increase will be great. I've actually just ordered a memory upgrade for my iBook (going from 256 to 640), so I'm expecting a speedup there, plus if Panther makes it even faster, that's even better :)

I'm also looking forward to fast user switching, Samba printing, and network browsing. I'm sure there'll be other features I'll wonder how I ever did without. :)

bennetsaysargh
Jul 25, 2003, 12:37 PM
i can't wait untill the final release of panther. the beta seems very promising:)

uae
Jul 25, 2003, 01:45 PM
This is one thing as a recent mac changeover (at home at least - been using macs forever at work os9) that always amazes me:

With each OS release....your Mac gets FASTER!

Crazy. Try that with Windows.

I have a dual gig g4 for editing and I'm relegating this old Dell of mine to my fiance once the new PowerBooks come out.

Pancake
Jul 25, 2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by uae

With each OS release....your Mac gets FASTER!

Crazy. Try that with Windows.

I love that an upgrade in OS doesn't always mean a downgrade in performance.

AppleMatt
Jul 25, 2003, 05:02 PM
Overall Panther is faster, especially in UI, but on other areas it is infact slower.

My own benchmarks and other benchmarks posted here confirm this, many areas have a significant drop in performance.

It's ok though, this is a DP edition, Apple will no doubt push the speed above and beyond Jaguar in all areas.

And yes I love that fact that OS updates from Apple mean faster performance. I'll never forget going from 9.0.4 > 9.1 reduced my startup time by about 75%, and sped things up nicely.

AppleMatt

Longey Nowze
Jul 25, 2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Overall Panther is faster, especially in UI, but on other areas it is infact slower.

My own benchmarks and other benchmarks posted here confirm this, many areas have a significant drop in performance.

It's ok though, this is a DP edition, Apple will no doubt push the speed above and beyond Jaguar in all areas.

me is stupid... you explain please :p what parts are slower? is the panther out there a DP optimised only? no single proc??

and this is still a Beta... the final should be faster.

THANK YOU
MaT

AppleMatt
Jul 26, 2003, 05:42 AM
Panther is optimised for both single and dual CPU's.

Comparing Jaguar 6L60 to Panther 7A179, Panther is faster in;
- UI
- Quartz Graphics (sometimes)
- OpenGL (sometimes)

However it is consistently slower in disk access (a major factor in determining performance)

I'll do some tests with 7A202 and 7B21.

AppleMatt

bennetsaysargh
Jul 26, 2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Longey Nowze
me is stupid... you explain please :p what parts are slower? is the panther out there a DP optimised only? no single proc??

and this is still a Beta... the final should be faster.

THANK YOU
MaT

i think by DP he means developer preview.
also, they will enhance every bit of the code before the retail release.
i can almost guarantee it. it makes no sense not to.

Longey Nowze
Jul 26, 2003, 04:08 PM

Thank You
MaT