Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Now this is a bit of a mad 'un...

I was waiting for Photoshop to load up earlier, turned to the keyboard and pushed 2 random keys. I thought they sounded familiar and I basically taught myself how to play the Windwaker intro theme in the space of a few minutes. (it's really strange, recently I've been able to play a whole load of songs instantly just by listening to them. Which didn't happen when I was actually having piano lessons :D )

Anyroad. Whilst recording the Windwaker intro I thought lets try Twilight Princess (I only previously knew the melody) and a song from the new Doctor Who series. All organ-ified. It all just poured out in a single recording, so it's not 100% perfect.

http://satansam.co.uk/ftp/organplay.mp3

edit: Starlight Zone and other classic songs didn't work organified. Must teach myself some Castlevania tunes next :D

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
That's weird. I've always been able to play by ear, maybe the lessons were hindering your inherent ability to do so? Or maybe you hit your head recently, which then unlocked your hidden *** savant. :p :)

And how long does it normally take for PS to load on your Mac? :eek:

<]=)

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
I wish I could string together as many notes as that :( .

I would love to get into playing the keyboard, I purchased a Yamaha PSR-S500 a few months ago for £400, have never used it and am going to ebay it maybe later this week, unless there are any budding music fans on here who want to make me an offer?

Anyway the Yamaha was a little too much for me, so I bought a Novation Remote LE and like to tinker with that, but again cant really do much other than one or two notes from my fave band "The Cure"!

Are there any piano teaching programs on the Mac?

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
You might already know this following blurb, but I'll ramble on just in case.

Here's how you can make your PB load apps and files faster, especially for Photoshop:

Buy an external 7200 RPM drive that connects via FireWire. Do not use the much slower USB 2.0 port.

Then set it as the swap file for PS, or an other app that has this sort of preference.

This makes a substantial difference, especially when opening up larger files, since it allows the running app and OS X both to have their own swap drive.

You can also trade up your PB's internal drive for a 7200 and add more RAM. If you haven't done so already, or just buy a new PB. ;)

<]=)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.