PDA

View Full Version : Buymusic.com Blocks Mac Users!

c2kvette
Jul 25, 2003, 08:44 AM
The morons have now totally blocked Mac users from even accessing their webiste - what kind of company is this??

Mr. Anderson
Jul 25, 2003, 08:49 AM
I was surprised at this so I went to check it out... this is what I got.

:rolleyes:

eyelikeart
Jul 25, 2003, 08:56 AM
geez...what a pathetic attempt... :rolleyes:

So, what's going to happen iTunes is ported to Windows users?

scan300
Jul 25, 2003, 09:00 AM
They don't sell mp3s.

If it's any consolation, it doesn't work for Netscape users on PC or any other browser but IE.

The files can only be played on Windows Media Player, so if you use something else to organise and play your music, you're stuffed again.

Then there's the licensing conditions page... talk about a foreign language...

Veldek
Jul 25, 2003, 09:09 AM
Maybe they're afraid of what us Mac users have to say about their offer. This means we're right and they don't want the rest to know. ;)

irmongoose
Jul 25, 2003, 09:14 AM
Of course they don't have any smart method of knowing whether you're on a Mac or using any other browser, so you could easily fool it and enter the page by enabling the Debug menu and changing the User Agent to Windows MSIE 6.0. For Safari you could use Safari Enhancer (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17776).

irmongoose

groovebuster
Jul 25, 2003, 09:16 AM
In addition to that...

I tried to access the pages from a Windows-Box with IE 5.5 and it crashed immediately. It was the first time since a very long time that IE crashed on this particular machine. A second try had the same result.

Also very curious is, that in Safari the home page could be seen for like half a second, before that "no service" page showed up. So it is not a technical thing, it is on purpose.

Poor, very poor...

groovebuster

iJon
Jul 25, 2003, 09:33 AM
just download camino or omni web and change yourself to windows ie 6, your good to go. honestly though, did you really want to take a look around, it hideous, and the previews sound like someone did a radio rip from putting a mic up to their car stereo.

iJon

Independence
Jul 25, 2003, 09:49 AM
they remind me of a dying company flailing about in search of money.

i've got internet explorer 6 and windows media 9 on my system. but i don't use them. i use netscape 7.1 and winamp 2.91. so i guess i'm screwed. :rolleyes:

i'll just wait for a good music service to come to the windows operating system.

RichP
Jul 25, 2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Independence

i'll just wait for a good music service to come to the windows operating system.

Rumor has it iTunes for Windows isnt too far away..and although it may be a little less customizeable than winamp, I find it does a very good job managing music, and the ipod (musicmatch on PC for the iPod is a mess; all my friends complain, and after using it, I see why)

and you have to admit, its very funny that we cant access the service (Im also sure 99% of their traffic was mac users poking around the site and having a good laugh at the poor iTMS knock-off)

InfraredAD
Jul 25, 2003, 09:55 AM
I actually got into the buymusic.com page without doing much trickery. They just use some kind of meta refresh to redirect mac users to the annoying "We're sorry, you think independently, ya can't enter this site MS hater."

I'm using Safari. When you hit their site just hit the stop button as soon as you get to their site. It interrupts the redirect.

And the site? The layout is very PC/money/marketing driven. Not only that but their online commercials are EXACTLY like the Apple ITMS commercials (there's gotta be some kind of infringement here). I mean it's one thing to mimick something; usually done in a commedic manner, but these uncreative dimwitted idiots just ripped right off of Apple. The basic structure of the home page is very similar to the ITMSs too.

Oh, and since there's no one clear way to transfer music from your computer to your device like there is on the Mac, they've even provided video instructions at the bottom with the help of some Calista Flockhart wannabe who's 2x as ugly.

I mean, if this wan an innovation, something different and better even than Apple's implementation, then I'd be alllll about it, but it's not. It's just some ill-fated attempt at directly ripping off of Apple's concept. Even worse it just FEELS like it''s there to make money more than to serve the user, which when you think about it, serving the user should be the paramount goal, thus making money because of it. So in summary, this thing blows.

Rock on Apple

Independence
Jul 25, 2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by RichP
Rumor has it iTunes for Windows isnt too far away..and although it may be a little less customizeable than winamp, I find it does a very good job managing music, and the ipod (musicmatch on PC for the iPod is a mess; all my friends complain, and after using it, I see why)
yeah, i've tried musicmatch. hated it.

one thing that's absolutely required for me to even consider using iTunes for Windows is ogg vorbis support. i encode all my music in ogg format. so if iTunes doesn't support ogg, i won't use it.

does iTunes support ogg vorbis?

Veldek
Jul 25, 2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Independence
does iTunes support ogg vorbis?

Not yet, I think. At least, not AFAIK.

MacBytes
Jul 25, 2003, 10:44 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Perhaps tired of getting flack from Mac users, BuyMusic now blocks non-Windows IE 5.0 browsers. (http://www.buymusic.com/ierequired.htm)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Capt Underpants
Jul 25, 2003, 10:45 AM
LOL! That's pretty funny. You guys must have been giving them alot of slack about their music selling endeavor.

Jerry Spoon
Jul 25, 2003, 10:55 AM
That kind of sucks. No, I wasn't going to buy anything, and NO, I wasn't going to send any hate mail, but it is interesting to compare notes on how much somethig is costing from buymusic compared to ITMS.

Oh well, I'm sure their email is still out there for those wanting to complain.

Chealion
Jul 25, 2003, 11:30 AM
Running scared? Or is it that they don't wanna face the music?

idea_hamster
Jul 25, 2003, 11:33 AM
Clearly this is some form of infantile tit-for-tat attempt to make Mac users feel snubbed.

I don't think that I have ever seen a clearer sign of the windows world's sharply felt awareness that Mac users are a community and they somehow feel "left out".

The idea that they've tried to block non-windows users with some juvenile form of HTML-for-Dummies re-direction trick is indicative of the sad fact that the windows world thinks that Mac users feel somehow personally superior to everyone else.

Ultimately, it is a move typical of MS and the Windows world: they've locked us out of their bass-ackward, cut down, malfunctioning version of something that we take for granted.

Good job, guys -- send us a postcard when your voice changes.

beefcake
Jul 25, 2003, 11:38 AM
Doesn't Buymusic.com use WMP format? Are mac users really at a loss if they can't download music in that format?

edit: I was just browsing buymusic.com and virtually all the songs are $ 0.99.

DreaminDirector
Jul 25, 2003, 11:46 AM
You got to be kidding?!? When I first read that they were blocking mac users, I thought you guys were kidding.

I think they are just a really chicken ***** company. Sorry for the profanity but it just really pisses me off to think that they can lie to consumers ($.79 for only 1% of their top 100 songs) and BLATANTLY rip off Apple's Music commercial.

I mean, are people really buying into this crap? I guess over time as a Windows user, you just accept the shortcomings of these horrible services.

And no wonder why Apple's Switch campaign didn't work very well. Windows users were too afraid that Apple was just blowing smoke about ease of use and system stability. The rest of the windows side lies, why should be trust another computer company.

I guess I should be happy that I'm not apart of that world and that I should just drop this anger for these bad Apple imitators, but I can't. I just cant see how you can try and capitalize off a another company who's users you block from your site.

I just hope that BuyMusic gets what's coming to them. Crash and burn, baby!

King Cobra
Jul 25, 2003, 12:00 PM
This thread reminds me:

How do you look up to see what operating system the site uses?

The real question: What did we ever do to BuyMusic.com to make them feel so Windows-Pro?

DreaminDirector
Jul 25, 2003, 12:15 PM
King Cobra -

My guess is that whenever someone rips off Apple, the Apple Hardcores go and troll around the site and see what kind of fire they can start. I mean, in reality, it was probably a group of Apple users checking out how bad the design and service was, then writing a bunch of Pro-Apple statements in BuyMusic's feedback column. That's just a guess, but that's what usually happens, doesn't it?

We Apple users are fierce when it comes to loyality and we like to slash out at these bogus Apple rip offs. Is this a good thing? No. But it makes being a Mac user so much more fun. It's the camaraderie what we share when we find huge flaws in the world we dont need to deal with.

Honestly, I had nothing against Buymusic until they copied Apple's commercial and banned anyone not using Windows.

idea_hamster
Jul 25, 2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
...What did we ever do to BuyMusic.com to make them feel so Windows-Pro?

Nothing -- but they think that being anti-Mac will stir some sort of enthusiasm or loyalty because iTunes was Mac-only.

Unfortunately, as has been the case in the past, anti-Mac turns out to be synonymous with anti-quality and anti-usabilty.

Sadly, if buymusic.com's flimsy hay raft floats for long enough, windows users will come to think of it as "their alternative" to that other thing that Mac users have -- and never realize just how meagre their resources actually are.

Again -- buy.com can phone me when their facial hair starts to come in.

idea_hamster
Jul 25, 2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by DreaminDirector
Honestly, I had nothing against Buymusic until they copied Apple's commercial and banned anyone not using Windows.

Exactly -- and that's the basic difference between Mac and windope users:

They think it's some sort of competition; we know that there is no competition.

sosumi
Jul 25, 2003, 12:23 PM
I can't decide who's more pathetic - Scott Blum or Tommy Lee. Saw a picture of Scott and it made me sick... Looks like one of those annoying salesman, trying to sell you something you don't want.

DreaminDirector
Jul 25, 2003, 12:38 PM
Idea_Hamster brings up a good point. Competition is actually a good thing for us. Sure, iTMS is amazing and there is nothing else out that remotely compares. But truth is that we need other services to at least come close to what Apple offers. Competition is healthy for us consumers. I'm not saying Apple is going to just sit on this version of iTMS for years, but if something else comes out and shows a better way of doing something, I sure hope Apple takes notice.

There's something to be said about the difference between copying and making something better. I'm all for making existing things better. That's good for everyone. Honestly, I wish that Microsoft and the PC world would take note of that. If they took Apple's ideas and made them better, that would in turn make Apple work harder at making theirs better. Such is not the case now.

For example, Apple DID copy XP with fast user switching in Panther. But Apple didn't just copy, they made it better. Online music stores have existed for a few years now. Apple didn't copy them, they just made them better.

There's is something to be said about a company that tries to improve everything that they and their industry does. For that I wish that others in the computing world followed suit.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 25, 2003, 12:43 PM
well, i don't see the point. what is the big deal? apple will have pother competition tat will do this also.
there's no point in complaining because they will al be stubbourn

Rower_CPU
Jul 25, 2003, 12:55 PM

You mean the site or the visitors?

They're hosting with Akamai, so I assume *Nix servers.

As for finding out the visitor's OS and browser, there are several methods. HTTP has several variables that get OS and browser info. They happen to be using a javascript to sniff out the info.

idea_hamster
Jul 25, 2003, 12:57 PM
Fair points, but while...
Originally posted by DreaminDirector
...[t]here's is something to be said about a company that tries to improve everything that they and their industry does...
there is *nothing* to be said for the half-baked saltine-cracker-without-the-salt knock-offs that windows users get fed day in and out.

This may use up my last ounce of patience for the windows people.

<OT>
I think now I have to find a new signature line. Hmmm....

Stay tuned ladies and gentlemen!
</OT>

DreaminDirector
Jul 25, 2003, 01:22 PM
and I agree whole heartedly with you Idea_Hamster.

Nice saltine analogy by the way....

Phelark
Jul 25, 2003, 01:28 PM
Oh MAN! This is too funny!

Now, I'll be happy to give the rest of my credit card (about $2) to anyone who can get a way past this and to the feedback section. Sewiously folks,[/homestar] this is freaking hysterical.

Uh. Right. DEATH TO BUYMUSIC! LONG LIVE THE iTMS!

Yeah. I'll go sleep. Caffiene is a wonderful drug, really.

dswoodley
Jul 25, 2003, 01:30 PM
hmmm...maybe changing the user agent could help

yep, works just fine

sorry if this is a repost

Farside161
Jul 25, 2003, 01:49 PM
whats relly interesting is that althogh they lock out mac users to there site, they still sel the mac version of toast.

iJon
Jul 25, 2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Phelark
Oh MAN! This is too funny!

Now, I'll be happy to give the rest of my credit card (about $2) to anyone who can get a way past this and to the feedback section. Sewiously folks,[/homestar] this is freaking hysterical.

Uh. Right. DEATH TO BUYMUSIC! LONG LIVE THE iTMS!

Yeah. I'll go sleep. Caffiene is a wonderful drug, really.
here ya go.

iJon

medea
Jul 25, 2003, 01:57 PM
Open the terminal and copy/paste:

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

If Safari is open, quit it and restart. Otherwise just open it up. Now look at the menu bar at the top right. It should read "debug", and you're right if you think it's new. Click it and go down to "User Agent" and then hit Windows MSIE 6. That's it. Go check out those crazy cats at BuyMusic!

Thanks to macmerc.com
http://www.macmerc.com/news/hax0r/984

bobindashadows
Jul 25, 2003, 02:16 PM
This thread reminds me:

The best way I've found is using an open-source UNIX based neato-ponito app called "nmap". It's distributed for Darwin under the Fink project: h**p://fink.sourceforge.net. Plus it comes with like 209872315 other apps. You just download each one if you want it, using the FInkCommander app. Unfortunately, I'm new to nmap, and I couldn't get an OS detection. It says no exact match. I'm going to try a few different types of scans.

Got it to work. Use IP addys, not hostnames, i guess when it fials to resolve a hostname it uses the ISP router O.o.
Interesting ports on a64-124-29-36.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (64.124.29.36):
(The 1596 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port State Service
22/tcp open ssh
23/tcp open telnet
80/tcp open http
443/tcp open https
500/tcp open isakmp
Remote operating system guess: Linux Kernel 2.4.0 - 2.5.20 w/o tcp_timestamps
TCP Sequence Prediction: Class=random positive increments
Difficulty=2571477 (Good luck!)
IPID Sequence Generation: All zeros

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 141 seconds

I don't know what the TCP Sequ... means. But yeah, it runs Linux 2.4-2.5.2

VIREBEL661
Jul 25, 2003, 02:22 PM
This thread reminds me:

The real question: What did we ever do to BuyMusic.com to make them feel so Windows-Pro?

Maybe they're in bed with m$??? Juvenile...

mnkeybsness
Jul 25, 2003, 02:40 PM
for anyone wondering how to find out what operating system a user is running that is looking at your site, here's the source that buymusic uses to find out what you are running...it's javascript.

<script language="Javascript">
<!--
var mac = navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac")>-1
var opera = navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Opera")>-1
//IE5+ required, netscape, macs, and opera are not supported
if (navigator.appName == "Netscape" || mac || opera) {
musicLink = false
window.location.href="/ierequired.htm";
} else {
//find out if its ie, then version 5+
var tmpIEVerInfo = navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE ") + 5;
if(tmpIEVerInfo != -1)
{
if(parseInt(navigator.userAgent.substring(tmpIEVerInfo, tmpIEVerInfo+1)) < 5)
}
else
{
}
musicLink = true
}
//-->
</script>

Le Big Mac
Jul 25, 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by c2kvette
The morons have now totally blocked Mac users from even accessing their webiste - what kind of company is this??

How do we know Apple isn't behind this? I would guess that the license terms Apple signed with the record cos. required that iTMS be teh exclusive outlet for their music purchased online, and probably the cos. reduced that to online purchases using macs (or something like that). Think about it: Apple doesn't want competition for its online music store. It knew a competing service would come along, and this prevents it from coming along and undermining what apple accomplished.

allpar
Jul 25, 2003, 02:53 PM
Ha ha! It blocks me when using Windows XP / IE 6!

"In order to take full advantage of BuyMusic.com's offerings you must be on a Windows Operating System using Internet Explorer version 5.0 or higher."

Wonder if it's looking for something I shut off?

beefcake
Jul 25, 2003, 03:07 PM
Next month would be perfect timing for iTMS on PC. There will be plenty of disillusioned Buymusic.com users who see iTMS as a stable and easy alternative.

pascalpp
Jul 25, 2003, 03:25 PM

According to netcraft.com: "The site buymusic.com is running Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on Windows 2000."

cf. http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=buymusic.com

jayscheuerle
Jul 25, 2003, 03:28 PM
Nothing's funnier than people complaining about not being able to join a club they wouldn't be caught dead in anyways.

If I said you couldn't join my turd sniffing club, you'd be trying to jimmy the back door...

Let 'em have it. Who want's it?

DreaminDirector
Jul 25, 2003, 03:33 PM
Hey iJon, that article over at Scriptygoddess is awesome. I can't believe what BuyMusic has in their Privacy Policies. Everyone should read the article if they haven't already.

Just more fuel for the fire. Burn, baby burn!

edit: I just noticed BuyMusic's tagline is "Get Loaded". How funny is that?!? You gotta be wasted to use their site!

nickmcghie
Jul 25, 2003, 04:04 PM
I just tried their site with IE 6 on a Dell system running Windows 2000 Professional with Windows Media Player 9. The site itself loaded just fine, but that's about it. The site itself is difficult to navigate (except for the services that they obviously want you to visit for them to make money), the layout is a blatant ripoff of the iTMS, I'm unable to watch the commercials (or any of the videos they have for that matter), and I can't even preview any tracks! And without even viewing the commericials, the still images of them make it glaringly obvious that they must be almost exact copies of the iTMS commercials.

The review at scriptygoddess (http://scriptygoddess.com) only reaffirms their absolute incompetance at creating a "good user experience." Words can't express the hopelessness of this utterly pathetic attempt to copy Apple.

Here's to iTMS for Windows!

Java
Jul 25, 2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by groovebuster
In addition to that...

I tried to access the pages from a Windows-Box with IE 5.5 and it crashed immediately. It was the first time since a very long time that IE crashed on this particular machine. A second try had the same result.

Also very curious is, that in Safari the home page could be seen for like half a second, before that "no service" page showed up. So it is not a technical thing, it is on purpose.

Poor, very poor...

groovebuster

Wow. Totally denied. It is definatly on purpose. I guess they couldn't handle the macrumors crew :)

Horrortaxi
Jul 25, 2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by VIREBEL661
Maybe they're in bed with m$??? Juvenile...

It's Microsoft's world--you don't have to do much more than wake up in the morning and take a breath before you're "in bed" with Microsoft. The question is did Microsoft use excessive muscle on them. Their songs are in a propriatary Windows format and now they require you to use Windows and IE to even look at the website. Pretty pro-Microsoft. I can see 2 alternatives. Either they blocked the website to Mac users because we'd been bashing them (aka arming prospective customers with the facts of how much better iTMS is), or they good-naturedly want to give Windows users something as cool and exclusive as iTMS. Of course in typical Windows fashion it's not cool--just based on something cool.

In any event I don't really care--I do find this all very interesting though.

MetallicPenguin
Jul 25, 2003, 08:14 PM
Hey someone just pointed out that they use Javascript to figure out what system and such you're using!

There are 2 ways I know to get in:

Activate the debug menu and run under a different Agent.

OR

Just turn off Javascript in the Security Preferences!!!!

Sorry if that was mentioned.

kettle
Jul 25, 2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by MetallicPenguin
Just turn off Javascript in the Security Preferences!!!!

Sorry if that was mentioned.

he he, I read all the way through and no one actually pointed this out as a solution. I've already sent two emails to their customer service mail box. Turning Javascript on and off is a good way to get through really crappy sites.:)

jacka55
Jul 25, 2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness

netscape, macs, and opera are not supported

I still find it interesting that is doesn't block everything that instead of blocking browsers not equal to Internet Explorer, it blocks just Opera and Netscape (And IE for the Mac). So, for example, using Konquerer on LINUX or having Safari identify itself as Konquerer works just fine. It's really kind of a joke, and I wonder if it's so poorly designed in an attempt to pretend to comply with some contractual requirement (as was mentioned above), but allow people to easily get around it.

Although I'm not willing to do it, has anyone tried to purchase music from a Mac? I'm very interested if their claim that IE is required for their usage controls to work is true.

At any rate, since it's Windows (and Windows people work quickly on stuff like this), the usage controls should have been broken by... 10 minutes ago.

Update: Change of plan. I'm going to try to buy a song (and then hack it), just for fun. First thing is to find a song I like...

Zero21xx
Jul 25, 2003, 10:57 PM
I am new here, but I have been watching this forum for a long time. I decided I'd make myself known and chime in on this whole BuyMusic.com fiasco myself...

--Z

irmongoose
Jul 26, 2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Zero21xx
I am new here, but I have been watching this forum for a long time. I decided I'd make myself known and chime in on this whole BuyMusic.com fiasco myself...

--Z

And letting everyone know what a dope your are...

Seriously, sending hate mail is not going to do any good. If you want to go against Buymusic, the only effective way is to buy music from the iTunes Music Store.

Anyways, no hard feelings, and welcome to Mac Rumors! :D

irmongoose

jacka55
Jul 26, 2003, 12:45 AM
So, I bought song from a Mac. I realized that it really doesn't matter if one can browse the site. When I bought the song, I couldn't download it on the mac (The link just didn't work, and I couldn't figure out what in the javascript wasn't working right to do it). So, I went to a Windows machine and downloaded it. Unfortunately, there is the song, and then there is the license file for the song. Somewhere in the ether, my license file for the song was recorded as having been downloaded already, so I now have the song without a license to play it anywhere. I might try support next just for further amusement, but I think the link to scriptygoddess.com sums that experience up well.

Anyway, I soon came to realization 2: it's based on the latest version of Microsoft's DRM technology. So yes, Windows Media Player 9 is required (and, in fact, needs to be "individualized" so that it can use the latest DRM version and allow your computer to uniquely identify itself). The reason why the Mac is locked out is simple. There is no cross platform DRM solution. The only solution would be to allow MP3 downloads, which isn't a solution at all.

There are, in fact, two options: Apple's version of AAC on the Mac, and Microsoft's WMA on Windows. Therefore, Microsoft's special DRM protected file is little different than Apple's special DRM protected file. WMA 9 is supposedly coming to the Mac, and it might bring its DRM version with it. That's not exactly something I want, but WMP7 for the Mac did have WMP7's version of DRM.

But yes, the licensing terms and privacy policy and everything else about buymusic.com sucks. Watch their ads (another thing you have to do on a PC...): they're not parodies of the iTunes ads — they are straight up rip-offs with the intent to confuse people into associating the two together. I think this quote from Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/archive/news/1058898351.html) sums it up well:

Let's check the legalese:

All downloaded Content is sublicensed to End Users and not sold, notwithstanding use of the terms sell, purchase, order, or buy on the Site or this Agreement.

There's just something humorous about Buymusic.com not really meaning "Buy music."

I give it a week, max, before a crack shows up for it. Now I need to go about eradicating my personal info from Buymusic's database...

janey
Jul 26, 2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by jacka55
Watch their ads (another thing you have to do on a PC...): they're not parodies of the iTunes ads — they are straight up rip-offs with the intent to confuse people into associating the two together...
use mplayer (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16623) to play those ads...
they were all pretty lame...apple got people resonably talented at singing and buymusic just grabbed people off the streets and it honestly sounds like ****. and they chose two songs that were...well...not as IMMENSELY well known as the ones Apple chose for their ads.

Zero21xx
Jul 26, 2003, 08:22 PM
Well, I have been crowned the official "MacRumors Dope." heheheh...

I know... my last post was uncalled for. It was stupidity on my part. I'm not usually that stupid. I didn't really send that message. I just took a pic for posterity and then hit the back button. I thought it was funny cause of the Zero Wing quote.

Whatever the case, BuyMusic.com is a blatant ripoff of iTMS, and even though I have a cheap Dell as a secondary box, I will not support them.

I think I can rest my case.

As for the no hard feelings, same to you.

--Z

idea_hamster
Jul 26, 2003, 08:30 PM
It didn't strike me the first time or three that I saw their knock-off-mercial, but then I realized:

They're all singing the same song!

How MS/PC is that?! "You can download any song you want, as long as it's 'Superfreak'."

The iTunes ad shows individuals singing their own favorite songs.

The buymusic ad shows people ... well ... conforming.

How sad.

Powerbook G5
Jul 26, 2003, 08:59 PM
Not to mention when you see the iTunes commercials, some of them seem to have feeling behind them, whereas these buymusic ads seem to be half assed attempts at trying to capture the same essence.

idea_hamster
Jul 26, 2003, 09:39 PM
I agree -- and I think that this stems directly from the difference in the casting calls.

The Apple casting call (which was reported here -- kudos, macrumors) said that people should show up who are willing to sing their own favorite song.

I'm confident that the buymusic casting call had nothing to do with real people or their favorite songs. "Bring your head shot and be ready to sing 'Superfreak' like (a) a schoolgirl, (b) an old man, (c) an african-american woman, or (d) man-in-suit."

The difference is that, ultimately, the people in the buymusic ad were actors, acting like they cared about singing Superfreak when they don't.

There are so many ways that this is, in a nutshell, typical of gulf between Mac and PC. I suppose that in the end people get what they deserve.

Independence
Jul 26, 2003, 10:28 PM
i'd be willing to bet my new eMachine PC and one of my arms that buymusic.com won't survive. Windows users such as myself are simply better off waiting for iTunes to come to Windows. and when it does, the iTunes store will kill the competition.

King Cobra
Jul 27, 2003, 12:55 PM
Appreciations for the various replies to either of my questions.

As for the debug hack for Safari, it did not work for me.

Just read the hate mail attachment higher up in this thread. BAD IDEA.

Z-man, don't be surprised if you receive equally destructive hate mail in your mailbox. Or pehaps have your IP banned. Then again, having your IP banned from BuyMusic may be beneficial for your health.

BTW: I'm calling you Z-man from now on because your style of attitude and personality reminds me of a brilliant, yet comically bullying, student in my Calculus class. He had a light side and a dark side...my math teacher had the student for two years straight. He called the student Z-man from his extended last name of Zack.

:D

DreaminDirector
Jul 27, 2003, 01:36 PM
I'm not going to jump on the boat and reprimand "Z-Man, for what he did. Even though it was out of line, there are lots of ways people deal with this. I'm not saying by any means it was right, but there's always room to figure out what is the right kind of reaction and what is the wrong kind.

Does Buymusic deserve an few emails like that? Maybe. Was I the one going to write it? Probably not. But I'm glad somebody left they feedback regardless of whether or not it was properly worded. There's a learning curve that takes place at MacRumors with new members. That passionate attitude will shape itself into a much more informed and eloquent expression. It did with me. God, I remember I used to post some stupid stuff during "Newbie" status just so I could hear everybody yell.

As for the commercials, I again agree with Idea Hamster (great name BTW) everyone has to sing the same song. Nothing like Big Red dictating to the window users what they are required to do.

The commercials that buy music just lacked real passion. Actors can never take place of "real people. Why do you think reality tv has grotesquely grown into what it is. I dont know the real statistic, but it feels like half of the shows on are "reality-based".

Schiffi
Jul 27, 2003, 01:55 PM
I am suddenly feeling the need to purchase Superfreak from the iTMS...

Elan0204
Jul 27, 2003, 03:23 PM
After setting Safari to Windows MSIE 6 in the debug menu, how can I change it back to Safari? Selecting "Automatically Chosen" from the menu just leaves Safari as MSIE 6.

pseudobrit
Jul 27, 2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Elan0204
After setting Safari to Windows MSIE 6 in the debug menu, how can I change it back to Safari? Selecting "Automatically Chosen" from the menu just leaves Safari as MSIE 6.

Try quitting and relaunching Safari.

trunksfujita
Jul 27, 2003, 11:50 PM
i used an anonymizer service and i was able to gainAccess to their page by blocking my browser and operating system, i can't believe they did that, they hate us, and have you seen their site buymusic.com is exactly like apple's music store, they copied everything even the tv ads. bastards.

They will never be like Apple.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

idea_hamster
Jul 28, 2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by trunksfujita
They will never be like Apple.
True -- but not just because they can't imitate Apple well enough. Rather, the difference -- and their ultimate weakness -- is that they are imitators.

The PC world has made their name for the past 20 years trying to convince everyone that they are finally as good as Apple. They were wrong then, they're wrong now.

For a extremely detailed investigation, see http://www.macvspc.info

Le Big Mac
Jul 28, 2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by iJon
honestly i dont think apple gives a rats ass about this service. this service has already failed. [/url]

That wasn't really my point. It may be a terrible service, and Apple has nothing to worry about. but when apple entered into the license agreements with the various record companies, it had to worry about a *good* service coming along. Apple probably wanted exclusivity on the Mac platform, and the music cos. agreed to that.

I simply don't understand what incentive buymusic has to cut out mac users specifically. THey'll want as broad a market as possible. Sure, if they support macs they have to make sure the software works, as well as DRM, and maybe that's the issue--they'll only support WMP DRM system. But, again, that's coming from the music cos., who want the protection. I just don't see why there would be any spite from the co. To me, it's almost certainly based on some sort of licensing concern from the music cos.

CubeHacker
Jul 28, 2003, 09:21 PM
Its not that they are purposely blocking Mac users. They decided to use ActiceX to allow the downloading of music from their site, which only IE on windows supports. So even if you get past the initial block on the site, you still wouldn't be able to purchase music.

Not that anyone here would really want to, of course :)

judith
Jul 30, 2003, 12:30 AM
They may claim from 79&cent, but the only (one) song I could find for that price was of course Tommy Lee. And really, Who wants to pay 79&cent for Tommy Lee anyway?
Sad, Very Sad.

HaHaHa.... (insert Mandark laugh - loop)

Independence
Jul 30, 2003, 09:18 AM
buymusic.com is having some problems. check out slashdot while the article is still there.