Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I was surprised at this so I went to check it out... this is what I got.

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• picture 2 copy.gif
    picture 2 copy.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,200

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
They don't sell mp3s.

If it's any consolation, it doesn't work for Netscape users on PC or any other browser but IE.

The files can only be played on Windows Media Player, so if you use something else to organise and play your music, you're stuffed again.

Then there's the licensing conditions page... talk about a foreign language...

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Maybe they're afraid of what us Mac users have to say about their offer. This means we're right and they don't want the rest to know. ;)

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
In addition to that...

I tried to access the pages from a Windows-Box with IE 5.5 and it crashed immediately. It was the first time since a very long time that IE crashed on this particular machine. A second try had the same result.

Also very curious is, that in Safari the home page could be seen for like half a second, before that "no service" page showed up. So it is not a technical thing, it is on purpose.

Poor, very poor...

groovebuster

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
just download camino or omni web and change yourself to windows ie 6, your good to go. honestly though, did you really want to take a look around, it hideous, and the previews sound like someone did a radio rip from putting a mic up to their car stereo.

iJon

Independence

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
United States
they remind me of a dying company flailing about in search of money.

i've got internet explorer 6 and windows media 9 on my system. but i don't use them. i use netscape 7.1 and winamp 2.91. so i guess i'm screwed. :rolleyes:

i'll just wait for a good music service to come to the windows operating system.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Originally posted by Independence

i'll just wait for a good music service to come to the windows operating system.

Rumor has it iTunes for Windows isnt too far away..and although it may be a little less customizeable than winamp, I find it does a very good job managing music, and the ipod (musicmatch on PC for the iPod is a mess; all my friends complain, and after using it, I see why)

and you have to admit, its very funny that we cant access the service (Im also sure 99% of their traffic was mac users poking around the site and having a good laugh at the poor iTMS knock-off)

InfraredAD

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2003
I actually got into the buymusic.com page without doing much trickery. They just use some kind of meta refresh to redirect mac users to the annoying "We're sorry, you think independently, ya can't enter this site MS hater."

I'm using Safari. When you hit their site just hit the stop button as soon as you get to their site. It interrupts the redirect.

And the site? The layout is very PC/money/marketing driven. Not only that but their online commercials are EXACTLY like the Apple ITMS commercials (there's gotta be some kind of infringement here). I mean it's one thing to mimick something; usually done in a commedic manner, but these uncreative dimwitted idiots just ripped right off of Apple. The basic structure of the home page is very similar to the ITMSs too.

Oh, and since there's no one clear way to transfer music from your computer to your device like there is on the Mac, they've even provided video instructions at the bottom with the help of some Calista Flockhart wannabe who's 2x as ugly.

I mean, if this wan an innovation, something different and better even than Apple's implementation, then I'd be alllll about it, but it's not. It's just some ill-fated attempt at directly ripping off of Apple's concept. Even worse it just FEELS like it''s there to make money more than to serve the user, which when you think about it, serving the user should be the paramount goal, thus making money because of it. So in summary, this thing blows.

Rock on Apple

Independence

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
United States
Originally posted by RichP
Rumor has it iTunes for Windows isnt too far away..and although it may be a little less customizeable than winamp, I find it does a very good job managing music, and the ipod (musicmatch on PC for the iPod is a mess; all my friends complain, and after using it, I see why)
yeah, i've tried musicmatch. hated it.

one thing that's absolutely required for me to even consider using iTunes for Windows is ogg vorbis support. i encode all my music in ogg format. so if iTunes doesn't support ogg, i won't use it.

does iTunes support ogg vorbis?

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
That kind of sucks. No, I wasn't going to buy anything, and NO, I wasn't going to send any hate mail, but it is interesting to compare notes on how much somethig is costing from buymusic compared to ITMS.

Oh well, I'm sure their email is still out there for those wanting to complain.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Clearly this is some form of infantile tit-for-tat attempt to make Mac users feel snubbed.

I don't think that I have ever seen a clearer sign of the windows world's sharply felt awareness that Mac users are a community and they somehow feel "left out".

The idea that they've tried to block non-windows users with some juvenile form of HTML-for-Dummies re-direction trick is indicative of the sad fact that the windows world thinks that Mac users feel somehow personally superior to everyone else.

Ultimately, it is a move typical of MS and the Windows world: they've locked us out of their bass-ackward, cut down, malfunctioning version of something that we take for granted.

Good job, guys -- send us a postcard when your voice changes.

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
Doesn't Buymusic.com use WMP format? Are mac users really at a loss if they can't download music in that format?

edit: I was just browsing buymusic.com and virtually all the songs are $ 0.99.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
What the Hell, Buy.com!

You got to be kidding?!? When I first read that they were blocking mac users, I thought you guys were kidding.

I think they are just a really chicken sh*t company. Sorry for the profanity but it just really pisses me off to think that they can lie to consumers ($.79 for only 1% of their top 100 songs) and BLATANTLY rip off Apple's Music commercial.

I mean, are people really buying into this crap? I guess over time as a Windows user, you just accept the shortcomings of these horrible services.

And no wonder why Apple's Switch campaign didn't work very well. Windows users were too afraid that Apple was just blowing smoke about ease of use and system stability. The rest of the windows side lies, why should be trust another computer company.

I guess I should be happy that I'm not apart of that world and that I should just drop this anger for these bad Apple imitators, but I can't. I just cant see how you can try and capitalize off a another company who's users you block from your site.

I just hope that BuyMusic gets what's coming to them. Crash and burn, baby!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
This thread reminds me:

How do you look up to see what operating system the site uses?

The real question: What did we ever do to BuyMusic.com to make them feel so Windows-Pro?

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
King Cobra -

My guess is that whenever someone rips off Apple, the Apple Hardcores go and troll around the site and see what kind of fire they can start. I mean, in reality, it was probably a group of Apple users checking out how bad the design and service was, then writing a bunch of Pro-Apple statements in BuyMusic's feedback column. That's just a guess, but that's what usually happens, doesn't it?

We Apple users are fierce when it comes to loyality and we like to slash out at these bogus Apple rip offs. Is this a good thing? No. But it makes being a Mac user so much more fun. It's the camaraderie what we share when we find huge flaws in the world we dont need to deal with.

Honestly, I had nothing against Buymusic until they copied Apple's commercial and banned anyone not using Windows.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Originally posted by King Cobra
...What did we ever do to BuyMusic.com to make them feel so Windows-Pro?

Nothing -- but they think that being anti-Mac will stir some sort of enthusiasm or loyalty because iTunes was Mac-only.

Unfortunately, as has been the case in the past, anti-Mac turns out to be synonymous with anti-quality and anti-usabilty.

Sadly, if buymusic.com's flimsy hay raft floats for long enough, windows users will come to think of it as "their alternative" to that other thing that Mac users have -- and never realize just how meagre their resources actually are.

Again -- buy.com can phone me when their facial hair starts to come in.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Originally posted by DreaminDirector
Honestly, I had nothing against Buymusic until they copied Apple's commercial and banned anyone not using Windows.

Exactly -- and that's the basic difference between Mac and windope users:

They think it's some sort of competition; we know that there is no competition.

sosumi

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2003
Gothenburg, Sweden
Scott Blum

I can't decide who's more pathetic - Scott Blum or Tommy Lee. Saw a picture of Scott and it made me sick... Looks like one of those annoying salesman, trying to sell you something you don't want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.