PDA

View Full Version : Typing in Spanish (aka The Song About A Cow)

katie ta achoo
Jul 22, 2007, 09:43 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

I know enough Spanish to get by: What time is it, I need help, where’s the Apple Store? You know, the basics.

I've picked up parts of the language in Spanish class in High School and around Texas, but my friend, Laura, taught the Spanish I use most often: How to curse at people in traffic, how to pick up men, and a song about a cow.

From time to time, I’ll send a text message in Spanish. In the past, I've avoided it because I had to turn off T9 on my old phone to even think about writing in Spanish. But that was a cruddy $50 phone… How would the iPhone stack up?

Read Full Article (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/07/16/typing-in-spanish-aka-the-song-about-a-cow/)

Note from Arn: sorry for the delay in Katie's posts, that was my fault due to my schedule, which has bottlenecked the posts

PumaGuy
Jul 22, 2007, 09:55 PM
El Toro Relajo?

Luis
Jul 22, 2007, 10:03 PM
Damn... that is seriously bad. If it gets unlocked (which i'm sure it will) and I buy it there must be a way to type in Spanish, since i'm sending a whole lot of SMS's in Spanish...

kalisphoenix
Jul 22, 2007, 10:39 PM
What was that about the Immigration and Naturalization Service?

devilot
Jul 22, 2007, 10:43 PM
Love the video! :D Ha. Love how your cat made a special guest appearance, too.

jizquierdo
Jul 23, 2007, 12:03 AM
I'm a iPhone user in Puerto Rico and obviously my main language is Spanish... i've had the iPhone since its release and at first it was kinda weird typing in spanish cuz' the iPhone would suggest strange stuff from the dictionary... as what happened with the Cow song... but after using it for a while i've come to notice that it learns what you type. In my case it has learned the most frequent spanish words i use and corrects them as they should... it would be nice if they added a spanish dictionary and let you switch between languages...

siurpeeman
Jul 23, 2007, 12:12 AM
What was that about the Immigration and Naturalization Service?

haha, i found that funny, too! INS in big, block lettering. i hope they're not trying to send a message. :eek:

loudestnoise
Jul 23, 2007, 12:43 AM
The only issue I've seen with using Spanish words on iPhone is the fact that the dictionary tries to learn your commonly used words and the confusion of another language can mess with your auto correction. I know this from personal experience, as I just spent a week in México and have been thinking and SMSing in Español.

tom@bluesky.org
Jul 23, 2007, 05:05 AM
For a possible workaround for typing simple emails in Spanish and some other languages, point the iPhone browser at this page:

http://pointatme.com/keyboards/

iSaint
Jul 23, 2007, 07:08 AM
My 8 year old recognized the cow song from his Spanish classes at school!

maccatalan
Jul 23, 2007, 07:11 AM
From day one I have been sending emails in French to my family in France. At first it was a painful process because of the English dictionary trying to fix every single one of my words. But with time the iPhone has been registering and remembering my preferences and uses of the keyboard/words and now I can type in French pretty much normally. Something quite amazing is that the iPhone will actually fix some of my French misspellings because it remembers how I typed them before.

Chrysaor
Jul 23, 2007, 09:32 AM
Actually there is a secret Auto Correction setting in Keyboard Preferences. You have to edit Keyboard.plist to get enable/disable Auto Correction button. I don't know why Apple didn't made this setting visible by default.

dukeblue91
Jul 23, 2007, 10:42 AM
Perhaps the reason is that this is a english speaking market.
I'm sure once the phone comes out in a spanish speaking market they will change this little communication problem. :rolleyes:

diamond.g
Jul 23, 2007, 11:11 AM
Perhaps the reason is that this is a english speaking market.
I'm sure once the phone comes out in a spanish speaking market they will change this little communication problem. :rolleyes:

Hmm, I thought a growing percentage of people speak spanish in the US (and especially SoCal)?

dukeblue91
Jul 23, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hmm, I thought a growing percentage of people speak spanish in the US (and especially SoCal)?

Sure, but the larger percentage speaks english.
Besides I believe in the old saying: When living in Rome do as the Romans do, and that includes the language.

TheAnswer
Jul 23, 2007, 12:05 PM
Besides I believe in the old saying: When living in Rome do as the Romans do, and that includes the language.

Then surely you meant to say "si fueris Romae, Romano vivito more; si fueris alibi, vivito sicut ibi" :D

hiroshitakeuchi
Jul 23, 2007, 12:33 PM
Hello there...
As you are... I am proficient in spanish, and I have been using my iPhone to send, not only text messages but full e-mails in spanish, and as you said, it was at first a bit of a hassle to write in spanish, what you may have not realized yet, is that the iPhone will learn the words you use and eventually the dictionary will add those spanish words to its database, allowing you to write in spanish more proficiently. Yes, it is not perfect, but if you keep, not only sending text messages, but even mails, this will certainly help you and make your spanish a lot easier to come by in the iPhone.

I hope this helps...

Hiroshi Takeuchi

photobiker
Jul 23, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm French-American and I find the iPhone unusable in any language other than English. Maybe the best would be for all the polyglot geeks to let Apple know about the problem and petition them to offer a solution in a future revision. They will have to address the internationalization issue soon enough anyhow, in order to distribute the phone in Europe, but it would be cool if the phones could support several languages instead of just the one language of the country they are distributed into.

I left some feedback with Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html and I invite you to do the same.

JPyre
Jul 23, 2007, 03:27 PM
It would be nice to have multiple languages, but I'd rather have them working on other features instead of that first. Also, I (and the majority) don't need space taken up by un-needed features(by the majority), It would have to be an option in iTunes if anything. I can't wait to hear what the French Canadians have to say when it comes out up there, they're always good for a laugh.

I'm French-American and I find the iPhone unusable in any language other than English.

Your English is pretty good for not being able to use an iPhone, I know thats not what you meant but that's not my point. Pick a side French or American. My ex-girlfriends parents have only been in the country for 7 years, they speak broken English but have no problem using computers here, and they don't expect Apple to support them.

Edit: Let' start a Creole end Ebonics petition too

joejoejoe
Jul 23, 2007, 05:29 PM
it really surprises me that there isn't an option to turn the dictionary off

ppdix
Jul 24, 2007, 06:14 PM
I know we are in America. But millions of us speak other languages besides English... :mad:

I speak and write 6 languages and use my iPhone daily for SMS and Emails in Spanish, Portuguese and French... The iPhone keyboard really sucks, and all of us should admit it... It is too small for normal fingers. Not only it is a pain in the a$$ to type in basic English, where it comes up with bad suggestions like STD... Why would they choose to add STD to the dictionary... :rolleyes: Yuk... Anyway. Typing in any other language is even worse. A 40-word email takes 2 minutes to type since I have to keep undoing the iPhone's inadequate corrections. Apple should think outside the box... The USA Box, that is...

megfilmworks
Jul 30, 2007, 10:45 AM
I know we are in America. But millions of us speak other languages besides English... :mad:

I speak and write 6 languages and use my iPhone daily for SMS and Emails in Spanish, Portuguese and French... The iPhone keyboard really sucks, and all of us should admit it... It is too small for normal fingers. Not only it is a pain in the a$$ to type in basic English, where it comes up with bad suggestions like STD... Why would they choose to add STD to the dictionary... :rolleyes: Yuk... Anyway. Typing in any other language is even worse. A 40-word email takes 2 minutes to type since I have to keep undoing the iPhone's inadequate corrections. Apple should think outside the box... The USA Box, that is...
I'm sure they have. Wait until the EU releases and I bet you will have the dictionary that fits the country.

megfilmworks
Jul 30, 2007, 10:54 AM
The iPhone keyboard really sucks, and all of us should admit it... It is too small for normal fingers.
I couldn't disagree more. I think the keyboard is brilliant and extremely easy to use. I get 35-40 wpm and I am a very weak typist.

ppdix
Jul 30, 2007, 10:57 AM
The only issue I've seen with using Spanish words on iPhone is the fact that the dictionary tries to learn your commonly used words and the confusion of another language can mess with your auto correction. I know this from personal experience, as I just spent a week in México and have been thinking and SMSing in Español.

Yes, it learns. But u have to have typed the word for it to remember it... The other problem is ñ's, and at least... á é í ó ú... And why would they have defaulted to buttons with Capital letters? Sometimes you don't even know if u are on caps or not... Desperately waiting for v1.1!!!! :p

ppdix
Jul 30, 2007, 11:02 AM
I couldn't disagree more. I think the keyboard is brilliant and extremely easy to use. I get 35-40 wpm and I am a very weak typist.

I come from a Sony P800, then P900, then P910 and later the amazing Nokia 7710, which, btw, actually has the REAL internet experience... The keyboards were so much better and you could type with your nails, if necessary. The iPhone only recognizes skin touching...

megfilmworks
Jul 30, 2007, 11:26 AM
I come from a Sony P800, then P900, then P910 and later the amazing Nokia 7710, which, btw, actually has the REAL internet experience... The keyboards were so much better and you could type with your nails, if necessary. The iPhone only recognizes skin touching...

In my experience with the above, I still disagree. Not in the same league.
Plastic buttons will go the way of the Edsel. I understand the fingernail concern though if you have long nails, but then you couldn't play piano, guitar, violin or any delicate instrument with long nails, at least not very well. The skin touching is one of the best features. Also not sure what you mean by the real internet experience...I'll take Safari anyday over some crippled mini app.

tny
Jul 31, 2007, 09:23 AM
It would be nice to have multiple languages, but I'd rather have them working on other features instead of that first. Also, I (and the majority) don't need space taken up by un-needed features(by the majority) [...] My ex-girlfriends parents have only been in the country for 7 years, they speak broken English but have no problem using computers here, and they don't expect Apple to support them. [...] Edit: Let' start a Creole end Ebonics petition too

The majority of the planet are actually multilingual/polyglottal. I am, a good American boy with English ancestors: and I text in languages other than English. Get over it.

atticuslynch
Aug 1, 2007, 05:09 AM

From the Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_in_the_United_States): "Spanish is the second most common language in the United States after English. There are more Spanish speakers in the United States than there are speakers of French (another language inherited from European colonization), Hawaiian, and the various Native American languages taken all together. According to the 2000 United States Census, Spanish is spoken most frequently at home by about 28.1 million people aged 5 or over.[1] The United States is home to more than 40 million Hispanics, making it the fifth largest Spanish-speaking community in the world, after Mexico, Colombia, Spain and Argentina.[2][3] Roughly half of all Spanish speakers in the US also speak English "very well."[1]"

I think some "Usa Romans" talk spanish too, and i´m sure they send sms and email to spanish people they know, so this is something Apple have to work on for sure. And by the way almost any phone in the market comes with lots of languages loaded.

Anyway, i write only in spanish and yes, it´s a bit annoying, but nothing serious. The great dictionary learns a lot and fast :)

LizKat
Aug 1, 2007, 08:30 AM
The iPhone only recognizes skin touching...

Yes and that's what's so cool about it, you can clean smudges off the flim/screen without having to turn off the iPhone. When I figured that out, I knew I was in iPhone heaven.

So if you usually have long fingernails, just help the planet develop the next cool thing: short nails on thumbs and whichever fingers you use to key onto your iPhone. And of course paint them a different color or put a sticker on them. Tasmanian devil stickers or tiny Barsuk Records stickers would be great. You know, that little dog with the frisbee.... Maybe Barsuk will start offering iPhone fingernail stickers with their CDs!

btw i just saw green polish, on the nails of my niece a few weeks ago. At first I thought well that's at least a couple bridges too far for me. But now i have decided that two green thumbnails and an index finger in green would look fantastic (rest of the nails, no polish). Where the heck did she get that stuff though... ?

guifa
Aug 6, 2007, 03:19 PM
Hence, when in Puerto Rico, speak Español, since that IS an official language, and most certainly the primary language of the territory. Ditto for Hawai?i‘i, why do people move there and not learn to speak ??lelo Hawai?i?

Anyways, given that every other phone in North America includes dictionaries for at least French and Spanish, and OS X has a built in Spanish and French spell checking engine, there's no reason for them not to include it. I'm looking at my v600 which I nabbed cheap (and unlocked) from across the pond, and it has dictionaries for English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Turkish, and Portuguese. A $30 phone can do international better than the iPhone? Come on Apple.

ppdix
Aug 6, 2007, 05:32 PM

That is why all Americans are so ignorant and limited. :mad: For your information, Rome is in Italy. Italians speak Italian, not English, and lots of them live in the US, just like millions of other foreigners that are smart enough to speak more than one language... And I and they also have money to buy iPhones to communicate with their relatives or with each other.
There are 25 million spanish speakers in the US. Hillary Clinton's Website has a full Spanish section. Every bank I know has Spanish websites, mailers and advertising... Even Miller has a new beer called Beerveza to reach the Hispanic Market... U call any 800 number and there is an option for Spanish... Come on! U think the US is the only big country in the planet? :confused: Apple knows they need to do something about it. Specially when they plan to sell the phone in Europe where even retarded people speak at least 3 different languages...

Eärendil
Feb 15, 2008, 03:09 PM
It Needs a spanish keyboard, may i remind you how many people in mexico and spain and latin america would buy an iphone when it comes out?

Besides, it is the most teached foreign language in the usa.

And there are a lot of mexicans that can actually buy an iphone (and i dont mean illegal) that live in the us.

:P

ThunderSkunk
Mar 19, 2008, 03:57 PM
Reminds me of a joke:

What do you call a person who knows three languages?
Trilingual
What do you call a person who knows two languages?
Bilingual
What do you call a person who knows one language?
An American

Heehaw!

I'm learning Spanish, Italian and French all at the same time, and considering that all my audio lessons are loaded up on my iPhone, it'd be great if I could type on the thing too, without autocorrect adding to the confusion.

If they're hoping to sell iPhones to the hhhhhummungous Asian market, Apple had better get those Mandarin/etc... dictionaries up to speed & find a way to load & enable them.

Oskee2001
Mar 20, 2008, 11:29 AM
I too have bemoaned the lack of a spanish keyboard... I text and email my parents in spanish all the time. at first it was annoying because the english dictionary didn't recognize anything, but over time it has learned so its not so bad anymore.

Aren't they releasing the iphone in Spain soon, if not already? i hope that one comes in Spanish.

And whoever said that it should only be in english: try not to be so ignorant. people *gasp* speak languages other than english. It's a whole new world we live in, friend.

ppdix
Mar 20, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hola Oskee, if u have a jailbroken iPhone u can have 200,000-word dictionary in Spanish!

Salu2

Patrick

Here is the link: http://dev-iphone.blogspot.com/
:D
I too have bemoaned the lack of a spanish keyboard... I text and email my parents in spanish all the time. at first it was annoying because the english dictionary didn't recognize anything, but over time it has learned so its not so bad anymore.

Aren't they releasing the iphone in Spain soon, if not already? i hope that one comes in Spanish.

And whoever said that it should only be in english: try not to be so ignorant. people *gasp* speak languages other than english. It's a whole new world we live in, friend.

gnasher729
May 31, 2008, 06:17 AM

That's a saying that US americans use when they are in the USA, but somehow it doesn't apply to them as soon as they leave their country.

From a programmer's point of view, a very very easy way to help a significant percentage of their customers a lot would be to have a setting "Keyboard language", even if the only two settings available were "English" and "Other". Anyone often using ONE non-English language could just switch to "Other", so the English dictionary wouldn't interfere with their say Spanish typing, the iPhone would learn words over time, and when switching back to English it wouldn't try to replace English words with Spanish.

megfilmworks
Jun 2, 2008, 02:42 PM
Reminds me of a joke:

What do you call a person who knows three languages?
Trilingual
What do you call a person who knows two languages?
Bilingual
What do you call a person who knows one language?
An American

Heehaw!

Funny quote. Kinda true, I barely speak English well,
but my Mom speaks over 8 languages, my grandmother 5, my girlfriend fluent in over 10!!
And they are all Americans.