PDA

View Full Version : Judgement Day

jstef
Jul 25, 2003, 10:00 AM
I'm switching. Today in fact. This might be the last time I ever have to use a PC.

At 5 PM, I'm going to drive over to the Apple Store at Tice's Corner in New Jersey. In my right hand-- three-thousand dollars. In my left-- student discount.

I decided on a 17" Powerbook. Up until a few days ago, I was in the group of people complaining about how the 15" TiBook needs updates and I would wait it out until it got them. I in an ideal situation, I would, but there's a few reasons why I decided to grab the 17" instead.

1. I have a 1600x1200 resolution monitor now. Jumping down 4 inches and a bunch of pixels to a 15" notebook would be murder on my eyes. I need desktop space to work well. Pet peeve.

2. Waiting on updates to the 15" or 17" will only yeild me a faster bus and a few hundred megahertz. Granted, the 15" is going to get Airport Extreme and Bluetooth, so there's more of a reason to wait if you have your heart set on the 15".

However, I'm going to college before the updates are going to appear. I'd rather get my computer before school starts than have to deal with lugging the PC tower and monitor halfway across the country just to gain a minor speed boost.

3. My financial situation is best described as strange. If I get the computer today, I can pay for it. In two months, I'm going to be in a different place financially. A computer might be the last thing I can afford.

So, I'm doing it. I might post some pictures and things on my website. I was also thinking of a 'switcher blog', but that's been done to death. If anyone is interested, post here and I'll let you know the URL!

P-Worm
Jul 25, 2003, 10:32 AM
I'm glad you are getting your computer. It should make you very happy. Just remember that when the new ones do come out, that that doesn't make yours any slower.

P-Worm

CmdrLaForge
Jul 25, 2003, 10:34 AM
Congrats and welcome

thats a good decision and I think you are right not to wait for that speedbump.

Let us know the URL

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

Capt Underpants
Jul 25, 2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by P-Worm
Just remember that when the new ones do come out, that that doesn't make yours any slower.

P-Worm

I have never thought of it that way, p-worm. Kinda like the glass half full thing. That is a good way to think about things.

jstef
Jul 25, 2003, 02:17 PM
Congrats and welcome

thats a good decision and I think you are right not to wait for that speedbump.

Let us know the URL

Thanks! I think I did make the right decision. There were a lot of personal issues involved and I'm sure some people would be much happier waiting for the updates. This was just the right choice for me.

I'm glad you are getting your computer. It should make you very happy. Just remember that when the new ones do come out, that that doesn't make yours any slower.

You're absolutely right. Thanks!

I have never thought of it that way, p-worm. Kinda like the glass half full thing. That is a good way to think about things.

Amen.

Well, I will be posting some pictures and things on my (hardly ever updated) blog at 6 or 7PM (EST) tonight. The url is: http://www.fightingboredom.com

I have some questions, but I'll ask those later. I'm just so psyched to sync up my Palm and convert my iPod to Mac!

solvs
Jul 25, 2003, 03:36 PM
Not to mentionthe fact that while we wait for a minor speed bump, you'll be spending that time playing with your new Mac.

You do know you can hook up an external monitor too, right? And qualify for a $200 iPod rebate, if you had the money? And get FCE for $99? And a whole bunch of other cool things.

You made the right decision.

edit: Oh, you have an iPod already. Ah well, lucky you.

Horrortaxi
Jul 25, 2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by jstef
This might be the last time I ever have to use a PC.

That line gave me shivers. Somebody posted on another thread that they wished they could switch again and I almost feel like that now. It reminds me of the morning I bought my Power Mac. I was backing files up to my external hard drive and thinking "sonofabitch computer! No more Windows for me! This is the last time I'm using Windows!" Three hours later I had my new Mac and my backed up files were living happily on it. I only had to use that computer once more--to get info out of MS Money. It took 30 seconds to do it and when I shut the computer off it stayed off.

jstef
Jul 26, 2003, 12:04 PM
I wish I could say I was happy with the 17" Powerbook, but I'm not.

I'M EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH IT!

Everything about this computer is amazing. The screen, first of all, is wonderful. I feel like I havent lost any space from my old 1600x1200 setup. In fact, it feels like I have more space because of the wider screen. Everything I did in Windows, I can already to on the Powerbook. My iPod is converted to Mac, my pictures are streaming off my camera and into iPhoto, and Safari is bookmarking my favorite web pages.

To all those who are waiting: You have no idea how great this is. NO IDEA! :D

justinf77
Jul 26, 2003, 12:25 PM
Review! Review!

:D

beefcake
Jul 27, 2003, 12:43 PM
My TiBook is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday and I can't wait.

King Cobra
Jul 28, 2003, 08:45 PM
Referencing your comment about lugging your PC tower and monitor back and forth to college, I wouldn't even do that with my Cube. I'm not staying in a dorm, and I have my portable to take with me, if need be. I'll keep that at home and use it as my powerhouse desktop.

To play DA for a moment, did you ever think that not just the 15 inch model would be updated after you go to college, but the entire line of Powerbooks?

Either way, take care of your 17 inch Aluminum model. Also, get up your ass at least once in a while to place towels underneath the mouths of those staring at your night-lit keyboard. :eek: