PDA

View Full Version : Does iMactel have door like iMac G5?

mathwhiz90601
Jul 23, 2007, 01:07 AM
I watched the keynote speech for when the iMac G5 came out the other day, and saw that the back could come off in order to access the insides. Since the iMac Intel chips have the same case, it would seem that they would also have this feature. Yet I've heard complaints that the latest iMac is not upgradable very much. Clarifications, anyone?

roland.g
Jul 23, 2007, 01:16 AM
Only the G5 iMac, and not all rev.s had that feature. None of the intel iMacs have a removable rear panel. There are other subtle diff's. I think some of the G5 rev.s could be VESA wall mounted, but now only the 24" is VESA compatible. There are quite a few people who have upgraded their own HDDs in the intel iMacs, be removing screws and pulling the front of the case off, and then carefully taking the screen out to get the guts behind it. If this is something you want to do to upgrade your HDD, I'll try to find you the threads and links to the process. I don't think it's all that hard. But I can't see any reason you would change out your optical drive, and at this point I don't think there are any graphics cards available through any retail channels that are compatible with the special MXM?? adapter/interface that the video card plugs into. But I know of at least two people who swapped out HDDs to 750GB on their 24" and 20" intel iMacs.

iPhil
Jul 23, 2007, 01:18 AM
iMac G5 and iMac CD or C2D do have same ram access door.. the rest of computer isn't user-upgradable ..

Genghis Khan
Jul 23, 2007, 01:38 AM
C2D iMacs only have a RAM access door...anything else voids warrantee :p

(i should know as i'm reading the owners manual for mine right now)

thebrain74
Jul 23, 2007, 01:59 AM
the pre-isight G5's have a removeable panel (as VESA too, at least my 17' is), anything after that doesn't.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 23, 2007, 10:53 AM
Hmm. Wonder if they might reintroduce the feature if they make a gaming (ie, needing to have at least an upgradable GPU) iMac, as some have considered.