PDA

View Full Version : "That's where the similarities end. Simply put, while iTun...

MacBytes
Jul 25, 2003, 10:29 AM
Category: Opinion and Speculation
Link: "That's where the similarities end. Simply put, while iTunes Music Store is the Rolls-Royce of online music, BuyMusic.com is a Yugo." (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/tech/weekly/2011144)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

MacManDan
Jul 25, 2003, 10:44 AM
This is a great article and a good read .. but it makes me wonder how much attention it will get from "die-hard" (or even casual) PC users because the author is definitely a Mac user (he wrote Mac OS X for Dummies , for goodness sake). I think it would be interesting to hear the Windows users' side on this one .. is this really what Windows users have been hoping and waiting for? Or is it really bad, as everything I have heard on this site says it is?

Sayhey
Jul 25, 2003, 10:46 AM
And will likely sell a lot of "yugos" while PC users wait for a quality alternative. Let's just hope Apple gets its windows version out soon so this junk isn't the "standard" adopted by the other 97%.

Capt Underpants
Jul 25, 2003, 11:43 AM
What the heck is a yugo?

MacManDan
Jul 25, 2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Capt Underpants
What the heck is a yugo?

I think it's one of those old tiny cars that had the problem with the gas tank exploding whenever someone rear-ended them. A miserable car to those unfortunate to drive/buy one.

Or maybe I'm way off ;)

vniow
Jul 25, 2003, 02:28 PM
Gaa, not another computer - car comparison!

plinkoman
Jul 25, 2003, 02:33 PM
i don't think anyone needs to worry about buymusic.com. every windows user uses winamp, and every windows user get their music for free on kazaa. now from a windows users perspective, why the hell would you want to start paying for something that must be used on a different player, can't be burnt or sent to portable devices and costs money? it's simple, you wouldn't. maybe down the road when the riaa continues to crack down on p2p networks, people will want an alternative, and it will be just in time for buymusic to fail miserably and itms windows to be released

DTphonehome
Jul 25, 2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by MacManDan
I think it's one of those old tiny cars that had the problem with the gas tank exploding whenever someone rear-ended them. A miserable car to those unfortunate to drive/buy one.

Or maybe I'm way off ;)

A little off...I think you're thinking of the Chevelle. Yugo was a car company that tried to sell their garbage in the US for a few years, starting in the mid-80's. As the name implies, they were made in Yugoslavia, and very cheaply I might add. These made Hyundais look like BMWs. There was no attention paid to style or finish. The car was simply a thrown-together and horribly unreliable piece of garbage. I have only seen one Yugo in my life, in Queens, New York. It must have been in the mid to late 90's. The thing looked like a grey box that was mostly rusted. The windows were going opaque, the muffler was hanging, and the "Yugo" logo itself was rusted! How anyone thought Americans would go for a Yugoslavian auto is beyond me. Funny, now Yugoslavia doesn't even exist. Good luck getting your warranty honored :)

Here's a link to a pretty informative website on the Yugo. It makes for some interesting reading. http://www.hszk.bme.hu/~oj002/yugo/

Happy driving!

--DT

Sayhey
Jul 25, 2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by DTphonehome
A little off...I think you're thinking of the Chevelle. Yugo was a car company that tried to sell their garbage in the US for a few years, starting in the mid-80's. As the name implies, they were made in Yugoslavia, and very cheaply I might add. These made Hyundais look like BMWs. There was no attention paid to style or finish. The car was simply a thrown-together and horribly unreliable piece of garbage. I have only seen one Yugo in my life, in Queens, New York. It must have been in the mid to late 90's. The thing looked like a grey box that was mostly rusted. The windows were going opaque, the muffler was hanging, and the "Yugo" logo itself was rusted! How anyone thought Americans would go for a Yugoslavian auto is beyond me. Funny, now Yugoslavia doesn't even exist. Good luck getting your warranty honored :)

Here's a link to a pretty informative website on the Yugo. It makes for some interesting reading. http://www.hszk.bme.hu/~oj002/yugo/

Happy driving!

--DT
absoultely right, except the cars that had all the problems blowing up when they were in rear end collisons was the Ford Pinto. This is one of those cultural allusions that betrays your age. Only the middle aged amongst us understand the references. A generation before it would have been an "Edsel"

Pancake
Jul 25, 2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by DTphonehome
A little off...I think you're thinking of the Chevelle.

I think you are both thinking of the Ford Pinto

http://fordpinto.com/blowup.htm

I recently saw a show called Engineering Disasters on the History Channel and they talked a bout it.

EDIT: Ofcourse someones mentions it while I'm looking for a link. :p

solvs
Jul 25, 2003, 05:40 PM
I've seen Windows users review BuyMusic. They hate it. Some of them are nice enough to give it a "C", or say that it will probably get better. But most of them have had problems with it and compare it to the iTunes Store.

M$ users or not, most of them are hoping for itunes for Windows. And soon.

Until then, there is KazaaLite.

edit: Forgot about the worst part - dig through their incomprehensible user agreement, and they say they reserve the right to sell your personal information.

Doomed to failure.