Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks for the help on my old thread on saving the Dvds to my external :) the external that I bought is 500GB and I have a ton of space so I'm interested in making my dvd vids on my computer bigger.. right now I'm using 700MB as my target size and I would like to up it to 1400MB how do I split the 2 files? and how are my settings that I'm using?

handbrayv8.png

in the older thread mp4 with h264 is recommened and I was wondering what everyone thought is the best? I've tried alot of the different settings and some took 8 hours to convert a dvd to avi with only a 700 mb file size :eek: is this normal? I have over 100 DVDs and if each 1 takes 8 hours or so then thats fine if thats how I can get the best video/audio quality at the target size that I want.. but I thought maybe I was overdoing something like extra quality or sound thats not even noticable so any help on settings would be appreciated :) thanks

skimaxpower

Jan 13, 2006
To get two 700mb files, your best option is to use chapters to breakdown your film. Lets say the DVD has 10 chapters.

1)output: movie(disc1).avi target size=700mb chapters= 1-5
2)save to queue
3)output: movie(disc2).avi target size=700mb chapters= 6-10
4)save to queue
5)export ... or add more to queue

You'll want to figure out which chapter mark comes at roughly halway through the movie. Luckily, you're dealing with high bitrates here, so if one video is 700k/s and the other is 800k/s, you're not going to notice a quality difference between the two files.

(of course, I think 700mb is plenty big enough for one movie. but it's all a matter of personal taste.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.