PDA

View Full Version : Macbook display better than iBook G4?

RZetlin
Jul 23, 2007, 08:37 AM
I have a wonderful iBook G4, but the screen is less than desired. When looking at the screen, the colour display looks faded out.

Is the Macbook display better than the iBook G4 display?

Cybergypsy
Jul 23, 2007, 08:53 AM
of heck yes, brighter and clearer

iSee
Jul 23, 2007, 09:04 AM
Yeah, they are far, far brighter.

I was just playing with my old iBook G4 this weekend (12", 1.2). It is a really nice little machine! I remember being impressed with how nice the screen was when I got it (was comparing it to my previous Dell laptop), but times and standards have changed!

If you can take your G4 with you to an Apple store and look at them side-by-side.

j/k/Andy
Jul 23, 2007, 09:23 AM
You can also try adjusting the calibration of your screen, improved my old powerbook display.

System Preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Calibrate...

mkrishnan
Jul 23, 2007, 09:28 AM
I think the Macbook screen is definitely brighter, and gorgeous, although I do still rather like having a matte screen. I'm not fully sure about how I feel to my eventual probable transition to gloss...

PlaceofDis
Jul 23, 2007, 09:38 AM
just yesterday i was using my macbook next to my girlfriends ibook.
there was a huge difference in the color and brightness.

the glossy display on the macbooks isn't bad at all, imo. i could see it being more annoying on the larger screens, but i've never had an issue with glare or anything like that with mine.

Hemingray
Jul 23, 2007, 09:58 AM
I was blown away how much better my MacBook display is compared to my old iBook G4. Your brightest setting on the iBook G4 is like what 50% is on the MacBook.

mkrishnan
Jul 23, 2007, 10:02 AM
I was blown away how much better my MacBook display is compared to my old iBook G4. Your brightest setting on the iBook G4 is like what 50% is on the MacBook.

The other thing though is the confound between age and display design. If you put a four year old notebook up next to a brand new one, of course the new one is going to be brighter, even if they had the same hardware.

superleccy
Jul 23, 2007, 10:12 AM
The other advantage of the MacBook over the iBook G4 is that it can drive an external display as a second screen (ie, not in "Mirroring" mode), and at a higher resolution than the MacBook's own screen resolution.

I used to love my iBook G4, but I secretly hated the display and video capabilities from day 1.

SL

drugs!
Jul 23, 2007, 12:11 PM
without a shadow of a doubt, yes