Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RZetlin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
I have a wonderful iBook G4, but the screen is less than desired. When looking at the screen, the colour display looks faded out.

Is the Macbook display better than the iBook G4 display?

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Yeah, they are far, far brighter.

I was just playing with my old iBook G4 this weekend (12", 1.2). It is a really nice little machine! I remember being impressed with how nice the screen was when I got it (was comparing it to my previous Dell laptop), but times and standards have changed!

If you can take your G4 with you to an Apple store and look at them side-by-side.

j/k/Andy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
You can also try adjusting the calibration of your screen, improved my old powerbook display.

System Preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Calibrate...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think the Macbook screen is definitely brighter, and gorgeous, although I do still rather like having a matte screen. I'm not fully sure about how I feel to my eventual probable transition to gloss...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
just yesterday i was using my macbook next to my girlfriends ibook.
there was a huge difference in the color and brightness.

the glossy display on the macbooks isn't bad at all, imo. i could see it being more annoying on the larger screens, but i've never had an issue with glare or anything like that with mine.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I was blown away how much better my MacBook display is compared to my old iBook G4. Your brightest setting on the iBook G4 is like what 50% is on the MacBook.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I was blown away how much better my MacBook display is compared to my old iBook G4. Your brightest setting on the iBook G4 is like what 50% is on the MacBook.

The other thing though is the confound between age and display design. If you put a four year old notebook up next to a brand new one, of course the new one is going to be brighter, even if they had the same hardware.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
The other advantage of the MacBook over the iBook G4 is that it can drive an external display as a second screen (ie, not in "Mirroring" mode), and at a higher resolution than the MacBook's own screen resolution.

I used to love my iBook G4, but I secretly hated the display and video capabilities from day 1.

SL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.