Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manfred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
North Carolina
I have decided to switch to Macs after over 20 years of using PCs. I do like WordPerfect and I have a couple of other things that are not readily available for Macs.

If any of you have any experience with CrossOver Mac apparently from some outfit called codeweavers, I will appreciate your comments. I believe that the latest version of CrossOver Mac is # 6.

Thanks in advance.

TheBigLebowski

Cancelled
Jul 1, 2007
CrossOver Mac

I used a free trial of CrossOver to determine if it was something I wanted to purchase. I used it to run several Windows native applications. It ran dbPowerAmp Media Converter, albeit not particularly quickly. I'd recommend going the Parallels route, as I don't recall CrossOver having support for a huge number of applications. What were you looking to run with it?

I have decided to switch to Macs after over 20 years of using PCs. I do like WordPerfect and I have a couple of other things that are not readily available for Macs.

If any of you have any experience with CrossOver Mac apparently from some outfit called codeweavers, I will appreciate your comments. I believe that the latest version of CrossOver Mac is # 6.

Thanks in advance.

Manfred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
North Carolina
Mostly WordPerfect, although there is some mapping program (whose name escapes me now) where you can type in courses and distances and it draws the map, tells you the number of acres,l etc.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I tried both Crossover and Parallels, here are my thoughts...

Crossover
The setup can be a bit confusing at first, but once you get the concept of bottles down it becomes pretty simple to configure most software to run.

As for actually running windows apps, well it failed miserably. The first program I tried was EVE Online (I followed the specific instructions), after hunting around for an obscure DX file the game wouldn't even let me in, I figured this was okay since it was a bronze rated program after all.

After that I tried Steam, which was rated silver and really should run *almost* perfectly, well, it was even worse then trying to run EVE, it was SLOW as hell, would constantly freeze up and crash, and this was the steam application, I didn't even try to run a game.

Parallels
Tried it, ran slow on my machine (3+ minutes to even get into XP), even slower then Crossover in even trying to move the mouse on the desktop. The initial configuration also takes about ten minutes and decided to add a bunch of stuff to your bootcamp partition.

Needless to say both will be getting the swift boot shortly, both programs add a bunch of crap to your folders (there was literally like 6 EVE folders and 3 Crossover specific folders), and it doesn't come with an uninstaller. Parallels does however.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
After extensive playing with Crossover, Parallels, Boot Camp and VMWare, I chose the last two as the best option. VMWare is just sooo much better than Parallels IMO. Plus the preorder option is still available at $39.99, half the cost of Parallels... ;)

user13

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
I also didn't like CrossOver, it doesn't support many programs (I mean it supports few).
I choose Parallels + Boot Camp combo. It is working flawlessly for me. Parallels really costs the money you pay for it. A Very good app!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.