PDA

View Full Version : Student Discount and No Tax...

sky131
Jul 25, 2003, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know of a way to both get the apple student discount and not have to pay tax on the total purchase?

I want to get a G5, and the 20" display and the more money I can save the better.

Thanks!

jxyama
Jul 25, 2003, 01:47 PM
i ordered my 12" PB from J & R. they gave me a small educational discount - $74 instead of Apple's $100, iirc - and since i'm in MI while they are in NY, i paid no sales tax.

unless you live in a sales tax free states (OR, DE, NH?), i don't think you can get both from the apple's official site or retail stores...

sky131
Jul 25, 2003, 01:53 PM
How did you get J&R to give you a student discount?

jxyama
Jul 25, 2003, 01:59 PM
i called and mentioned it... they didn't even ask for a proof.

i ordered from them because they had it in stock (i got 12" in early feb.) and there was no sales tax or shipping. i thought that was good enough. when i placed an order, i just asked about educational discount and the guy told me he could give me some discount but then he'd have to charge for shipping. i have no idea how that works, but i did pay less even with the shipping.

ZildjianKX
Jul 25, 2003, 02:17 PM
Hey, the easiest way is to go to school in a non-taxing state :)

Daveman Deluxe
Jul 25, 2003, 02:23 PM
Zildjian-it's what I do.

sky131
Jul 25, 2003, 02:25 PM
What if you go to school in a taxing state, but buy the computer in a nontaxing state at the Apple Store?

DrGonzo
Jul 25, 2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by sky131
What if you go to school in a taxing state, but buy the computer in a nontaxing state at the Apple Store?

I believe tax only applies to where you purchased it, being that you're in a different state you shouldn't have to pay tax and you'll still get the du discount. I'm assuming it's like when you order products over the internet and when you're outside of the suppliers state, you don't pay tax.

Marble
Jul 25, 2003, 02:38 PM
You don't normally pay tax, but when you qualify for a student discount, you are actually purchasing it from your school, which purchases it from Apple. Your school has to pay tax as a state institution, in this case. So it's either tax with the ed. discount, no tax without the discount, or just shipping if you get it from a retailer. Apple's new edu discounts have made ordering from the online store with tax a better deal than many retailers like MacMall (for my purposes). It's your call, but ultimately all the prices on Apple's computer systems end up being almost identical. For me, it came down to two sellers who were selling Powerbooks at about a $50 difference.
By the way, I found a pretty good deal on a Powerbook 15" at http://www.buymicro.com/.