PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ringtone Tools for the iPhone

MacRumors
Jul 24, 2007, 12:17 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Following the original 23 Step (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/07/13/how-to-add-a-custom-ringtone-on-the-iphone/) Ringtone installation tutorial, are a couple of applications which claim to provide a friendly interface to accomplish the same task.

Please remember that all these iPhone software modifications have some risk of turning your iPhone into a $600 paperweight, so proceed at your own risk -- but early reports have shown success.

For Windows users, Efksoft has released (http://www.efksoft.com/products/iphoneringtonemaker/index.htm) an application called iPhoneRingToneMaker which is a $9.95 application that allows you to create ringtones from MP3 files and transfer them to your iPhone. It requires Windows 2000, XP or Vista. A trial version is available, and according to some reports (http://groups.google.com/group/iphonewebdev/browse_thread/thread/1ae88f4587eb491e) it seems to work.

A free Mac application called iFuntastic (http://rapidshare.com/files/44448669/iFuntastic_1.0.0_b002.zip.html) (via MyiTablet (http://www.myitablet.com/gui-for-adding-custom-ringtones-to-iphone-231261.php)) also claims to provide a step by step interface but early reports appear some mixed results (http://www.iphonealley.com/news/gui-for-managing-iphone-ringtones). The requirements are an Intel Mac.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/07/24/custom-ringtone-tools-for-the-iphone/)

megfilmworks
Jul 24, 2007, 12:42 AM
I downloaded the Efikosoft ringtone software.

If you have parallels, you can run it there in windows. Once I figured it out, it worked very quickly. A very good simple editor built in, file management and 2-3 step uploading. It's working well so far.

kaioken145
Jul 24, 2007, 12:55 AM
It works, I purchased it earlier and it couldn't be any easier :)

specops
Jul 24, 2007, 01:32 AM
what happens when they update itunes so u can add ringtones with itunes and then this "hacked software" doesnt work then how do you remove the ringtones? everybody would be screwed

kaioken145
Jul 24, 2007, 01:36 AM
The software lets you remove the ringtones easily :)

tbobmccoy
Jul 24, 2007, 02:49 AM
Does the Mac version work well? Can I use .mp3s as ringtones or do i have to convert to .aac?

SBik2
Jul 24, 2007, 03:42 AM
what happens when they update itunes so u can add ringtones with itunes and then this "hacked software" doesnt work then how do you remove the ringtones? everybody would be screwed

maybe apple would go the hacked XBOX 360 route and block them?if i had an iphone... tht would be one of my worries

specops
Jul 24, 2007, 04:46 AM
The software lets you remove the ringtones easily :)

are you sure? cause i don't wanna try adding the ringtones if there isn't a way to remove them...

i installed the trial and didnt see a remove button but i guess that is because i hadn't added any ringtones yet :]

GTiPhone
Jul 24, 2007, 08:43 AM
I tried iFuntastic and the app locks up every time i try to unlock the phone.

dlpmaster
Jul 24, 2007, 08:43 AM
http://www.efksoft.com/products/iphoneringtonemaker/faqs_iphoneringtonemaker.htm

That's the FAQ for that, we're updating all the questions. So if you guys have anymore
POST them, we'll read em!

megfilmworks
Jul 24, 2007, 09:35 AM
This software has been working very well for me with no side effects running paralllels.

motorazr
Jul 24, 2007, 11:59 AM
I tried iFuntastic and the app locks up every time i try to unlock the phone.

yup. same here. I was worried because my phone kept getting unlocked and then the app would crash. I went and did the ringtones the manual way for now, just so I could make sure it was locked. looks like the app could have potential tho...

javaGuru
Jul 24, 2007, 12:24 PM
I downloaded and installed the elksoft application but I have not used it yet. Does anyone know if there is a way to remove the ringtones added to the iphone via this software? I don't want to start uploading ringtones to my iphone and not have a way to remove them. From looking at the program a little I didn't see any features that would allow this.

javaGuru
Jul 24, 2007, 12:27 PM
I downloaded and installed the elksoft application but I have not used it yet. Does anyone know if there is a way to remove the ringtones added to the iphone via this software? I don't want to start uploading ringtones to my iphone and not have a way to remove them. From looking at the program a little I didn't see any features that would allow this.

Nevermind, I found my answer in the FAQ page for elksoft. :)

megfilmworks
Jul 24, 2007, 01:06 PM
I've removed ringtones, edited ringtones and downloaded ringtones.
This is a very easy piece of software to use if you have windows capability.

tbobmccoy
Jul 24, 2007, 02:39 PM
yup. same here. I was worried because my phone kept getting unlocked and then the app would crash. I went and did the ringtones the manual way for now, just so I could make sure it was locked. looks like the app could have potential tho...

I went ahead and installed the iFuntastic program, and haven't had any problems with it. Make sure it wasn't a PPC mac you were using, and that iTunes and iPhoto are closed down before you start. I dunno what else could be the problem =(

motorazr
Jul 24, 2007, 04:41 PM
on my MacBook Pro...so no ppc there...itunes and iPhoto were shut too! :'( It looks like such a nice interface, too! Oh well...the 21 step one isn't that bad once you've done it...**off to add more ringtones**

AEngel
Jul 24, 2007, 05:42 PM
i just downloaded the iPhoneRingToneMaker and created 3 tones in like 2 minutes and they are amazing, you also get 3 free ones before u have to pay the $10 so its well worth it, im thinking of even buying the product but it really works very well

AJsAWiz
Jul 24, 2007, 10:27 PM
i just downloaded the iPhoneRingToneMaker and created 3 tones in like 2 minutes and they are amazing, you also get 3 free ones before u have to pay the $10 so its well worth it, im thinking of even buying the product but it really works very well

So is the quality of the ringtones pretty good? Do you get to "keep" the 3 free ring tones if you don't pay for the software?

AJsAWiz
Jul 24, 2007, 10:32 PM
Just read the FAQ for iPhoneRingToneMaker and it looks like a PC only software application. Since I don't run Windoze on my Mac looks like this is a "no go" for me :(

specops
Jul 24, 2007, 11:37 PM
http://www.efksoft.com/products/iphoneringtonemaker/faqs_iphoneringtonemaker.htm

That's the FAQ for that, we're updating all the questions. So if you guys have anymore
POST them, we'll read em!

One problem i have found is that after you use the 3 ringtones for the trial version you can no longer access the option to remove those 3 ringtones you added. In the future if somebody wants to remove them how would you do this?

Resevdog
Jul 25, 2007, 10:12 AM
One problem i have found is that after you use the 3 ringtones for the trial version you can no longer access the option to remove those 3 ringtones you added. In the future if somebody wants to remove them how would you do this?

I only had one ringtone I really wanted on my phone (not saying which one, since it seems to garner alot of guffaws) and the eksoft app took care of that no problem. If apple doesn't update the software either on board or through itunes to allow this, than I think the $10 is well worth it for this nice app. Easy, simply, like all things apple, it just works without too much headache.

iamse7en
Jul 25, 2007, 05:24 PM
I can't get iPhoneRingToneMaker in Parallels to recognize my iPhone! When I click 'Send Ringtone to iPhone' it just says "No iPhone connection found. Please make sure your iPhone is docked." Yet, Parallels definitely recognizes it, because I can import my pictures I have taken on the iPhone through windows. And when I connect it, it asks me if I want Parallels to automatically recognize it. I click yes - It is recognized!

Anyone have similar issues or know how to fix this problem?? :confused: Thanks.

megfilmworks
Jul 26, 2007, 09:12 AM
I can't get iPhoneRingToneMaker in Parallels to recognize my iPhone! When I click 'Send Ringtone to iPhone' it just says "No iPhone connection found. Please make sure your iPhone is docked." Yet, Parallels definitely recognizes it, because I can import my pictures I have taken on the iPhone through windows. And when I connect it, it asks me if I want Parallels to automatically recognize it. I click yes - It is recognized!

Anyone have similar issues or know how to fix this problem?? :confused: Thanks.Go to computer admin (in windows) and go to services. Restart the apple mobile device service (while the iPhone is docked)
Then iTunes will see it and if iTunes sees it then so will the ring tone app.

I had the same problem, once I figured it out, the app has worked well.

gstylez
Jul 27, 2007, 11:27 AM
Go to computer admin (in windows) and go to services. Restart the apple mobile device service (while the iPhone is docked)
Then iTunes will see it and if iTunes sees it then so will the ring tone app.

I had the same problem, once I figured it out, the app has worked well.

I tried the mac version and the program kept getting stuck when I clicked unlock. So I decided to use the PC version. I did exactly what you mentioned and the Software recognized the iPhone. The ringtone got sent to the phone... I shutdown then restarted but the ringtone wasn't there. I tried again... the windows software asked me if I wanted to overwrite the ringtone... so I said yes. Same thing... the ringtone does not show up on the iPhone.

I'm a mac user but got to say that the pc version has a nicer interface and does everything for you. My friend got it to work but I'm guessing it's because he activated the iPhone on the PC.

:apple:

iPhoneGuy2007
Jul 28, 2007, 12:21 AM
I just uploaded some ringtones to my iphone using this new release (FYI, I have an intel mac). The GUI process is really quite simple, just follow the instructions on the screen. Now everyone can hear "who let the dogs out" when my phone rings! ;-)

2.0 also lets you change the AT&T logo (65x20 PNG image) and reorder the icons on the home screen.

ifuntastic integrates both Jailbreak and iphoneinterface, so it really is quite a simple way of changing some of your iphone preferences.

As for some posters' questions -- I suspect apple could crush these hacks with the first update, but a system restore could be used to reset the iphone if anything goes awry.

Hope this helps!
CL

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 28, 2007, 10:13 AM
i tried the iPhoneRingtone Maker, and it works, the only problem is the sound quality isnt truly amazing, but it works just fine

javaGuru
Jul 28, 2007, 07:29 PM

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I don't want to purchase this program but would like to remove the 1 ringtone that I put onto my iphone.

javaGuru
Jul 28, 2007, 08:48 PM
well, I broke down and actually purchased the program. Now I can't find the ringtone that was uploaded to my iphone to delete it. This is just great! Anyone else have this problem?

javaGuru
Jul 28, 2007, 09:20 PM
Has anyone noticed that the quality of these ringtones coming out of the speaker on the iphone is very distorted? If a song has a tiny bit of bass the speaker rattles a little bit. This also applies to playing songs via the ipod feature. The speaker phone works pretty well and the ringtones that came with the phone sound pretty clear as well.

This almost makes me wonder if this is a reason Apple has delayed a ringtone feature for the iphone.

MacUser4_20
Jul 28, 2007, 11:54 PM
Your Bitrate will make a big difference on the quality of the ring tone....

ALL my tones are sampled at 128 or even below, and sound perfect.

Has anyone noticed that the quality of these ringtones coming out of the speaker on the iphone is very distorted? If a song has a tiny bit of bass the speaker rattles a little bit. This also applies to playing songs via the ipod feature. The speaker phone works pretty well and the ringtones that came with the phone sound pretty clear as well.

This almost makes me wonder if this is a reason Apple has delayed a ringtone feature for the iphone.

javaGuru
Jul 29, 2007, 07:08 AM

Hey, thanks for that advice! I never even thought of that. I'm going to try that now and will post my results soon.

javaGuru
Jul 29, 2007, 07:18 AM
Hey, thanks for that advice! I never even thought of that. I'm going to try that now and will post my results soon.

MacUser4_20 you are awesome! You just saved me a trip to the Apple store today. Thanks a ton man! :)

megfilmworks
Jul 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
I tried the mac version and the program kept getting stuck when I clicked unlock. So I decided to use the PC version. I did exactly what you mentioned and the Software recognized the iPhone. The ringtone got sent to the phone... I shutdown then restarted but the ringtone wasn't there. I tried again... the windows software asked me if I wanted to overwrite the ringtone... so I said yes. Same thing... the ringtone does not show up on the iPhone.

I'm a mac user but got to say that the pc version has a nicer interface and does everything for you. My friend got it to work but I'm guessing it's because he activated the iPhone on the PC.

:apple:
No, I activated mine on the Mac side. Look closely, you may just be overlooking them when you scroll the list. Try overwriting them if you still don't find them. Also I think it only works with mp3s.

javaGuru
Jul 29, 2007, 04:14 PM

What are you using to create your ringtones? I have a pc and a mac but would prefer to use my mac to create them. I heard where people have used garage band to create ring tones but i'm not sure how to using this app for that.

Joshua8o8
Jul 29, 2007, 04:35 PM
Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I don't want to purchase this program but would like to remove the 1 ringtone that I put onto my iphone.

Couldn't you just use the hard way of installing ringtones on your iphone and rmdir ringtone.mp3 ?

Canuck4
Jul 31, 2007, 10:35 PM
I gotta give a big bump to IphoneRungtone maker.
Very nice and easy to use. Everything worked fine even after the update today and all ringtones are still there.
Well spend ten dollars, I cant see my self paying for ringtones thru Itunes at $3.99 each or whatever they gonna charge people.

http://www.efksoft.com/products/iphoneringtonemaker/index.htm

thechidz
Aug 1, 2007, 12:45 AM
Where do you get Ifuntastic???? The link just takes me to some websearch site and I cant seem to find it anywhere?

:confused:

MacUser4_20
Aug 1, 2007, 12:52 AM
I use this:

http://deepniner.net/mp3trimmer/

Works great, is cheap and allows you to get exactly the part you want.

What are you using to create your ringtones? I have a pc and a mac but would prefer to use my mac to create them. I heard where people have used garage band to create ring tones but i'm not sure how to using this app for that.

thechidz
Aug 1, 2007, 01:12 AM
Where do you get Ifuntastic???? The link just takes me to some websearch site and I cant seem to find it anywhere?

I just found and downloaded ifuntastic. When I get to the part where I am supposed to put iphone into recovery mode by holding the sleep and home button for 25 seconds, iphone just turns off and nothing ahappens. I wont be trying this again. To risky for my blood.:o

Yankees 4 Life
Aug 2, 2007, 09:39 AM
i wish they had something like this and something that didnt screw up my iphone like that elf thing did...

AJsAWiz
Aug 2, 2007, 03:38 PM

I believe it''s on ModMyiPhone.com ;)

AJsAWiz
Aug 2, 2007, 03:40 PM
I expect to see ring tones available in the iTunes store this year.
But don't plan on holding my breath :D

jimedit1
Aug 2, 2007, 06:59 PM
Did anyone who had installed custom ringtones end up with a big ole mess when they tried to install the software update. I did.

It said that my phone was in recovery mode and the update could not be installed unless I erased and restored the phone.

So I did. Then it got stuck in a loop in itunes saying "You must restore" while the caution "connect this to itunes" was in the iphone screen. I did the reset with the home and sleep/wake but it kept looping back to the "connect to itunes" and "you must restore"... finally it worked itself out after about 10 minutes.

Needless to say. I have to reload my iphone from scratch and lost the ringtones as well.

I have a sneaking suspicion this all has something to do with the ifuntastic application.... Hmmm....

michelleb36
Sep 7, 2007, 06:43 PM

I am very new at this so please bare with me. How do you put your bit rate at 128 or lower? I have used the 3 free trial ringtones on efk. I think just like you guys that if there is any base in that part of the song, it sounds terrible. I would like to try to lower the bit rate to 128 or lower, but I have no clue as to how to do that. HELP :eek: