PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Battery Tips from Apple

MacRumors
Jul 24, 2007, 12:37 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has posted (http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html) some information and tips about optimizing the battery life on your iPhone.
Paying attention to just a few commonsense pointers will pay off with a longer battery lifespan and battery life for your iPhone. The most important thing is to keep your iPhone out of the sun or a hot car (even the glove box). Heat will degrade your battery’s performance the most.

Apple indicates that their engineers are finding new ways to optimize your battery, so make sure you have the latest software updates. Other common sense tips include

- Use Phone regularly. Go through at least one "charge cycle" per month.
- Lock/Sleep your phone when not in use
- Turn off Wifi to save power
- Turn off Bluetooth to save power
- Turning on Auto-Brightness
- Turn off the Equalizer (iPod setting) if you don't use it

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/07/24/iphone-battery-tips-from-apple/)

Furgster
Jul 24, 2007, 03:54 AM
good advice

rdowns
Jul 24, 2007, 03:56 AM
Hasn't this page been up since iDay? Seems I've read it before. Shrug..still good advice.

siurpeeman
Jul 24, 2007, 03:57 AM
Hasn't this page been up since iDay? Seems I've read it before. Shrug..still good advice.

yeah, i remember reading this awhile back. still good for those who haven't seen this, though.

Fafafoooey
Jul 24, 2007, 04:17 AM
Software Updates? What software updates?

siurpeeman
Jul 24, 2007, 04:22 AM

it's a general statement that's supposed to apply during the life of the product, that you keep up to date with the software. there might not be updates now, but there will be.

megfilmworks
Jul 24, 2007, 09:41 AM
I seem to be getting excellent battery life...up to 2 days standby with 7-8 hours usage. I do about one full cycle every week, and little cradle top offs the rest of the time.

chr1s60
Jul 24, 2007, 11:40 AM

Exactly! Bring em on already.

jdl8422
Jul 24, 2007, 11:43 AM
One of the suggestions was to turn off wifi. If anyone is like me its a bit of a pain to keep turning it on and off. Shouldnt apple make it where it turns off when it is asleep and turns on when you open safari? Is that even possible?

Rivka
Jul 24, 2007, 01:31 PM
One of the suggestions was to turn off wifi. If anyone is like me its a bit of a pain to keep turning it on and off. Shouldnt apple make it where it turns off when it is asleep and turns on when you open safari? Is that even possible?

though i can see way folks would want it on full time to get fast email downloads and such, i think this is a start of a great third option

something like
•Off
•Auto (when internet apps are accessed **see note)
•On

(**with some sort of timed delay for shutting it down so that when your task has you popping back and forth between many apps it does not have to yoyo of and on)
also remember that you never close apps on the iphone you simply leave them for something else or sleep mode. so it would have to be based on wither they are in use mode whatever that is called

what would that be called, it is not off or on, not really the front window but maybe, anyone have a better way to describe how iphone UI handles apps when switching and stuffs

Djmx
Jul 24, 2007, 01:53 PM
- Use Phone regularly. Go through at least one "charge cycle" per month.

Umm okay how the heck can we go thru olny 1 charge cycle...per month.. if the battery dies after let's say 2 days...? That's Impossible... apple is crazy there is no way we can go there 1 Charge cycle a month!! i never understood that!! :confused:

millerrh
Jul 24, 2007, 01:55 PM
From reading this it makes you think that you should completely use up the battery and re-charge at least once per month. But if you look at the way Apple defines "charge cycles" that isn't the case:

"A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle."

This means that you don't have to let your battery drain all the way. You can plug it in at night, every night, and keep your charge topped off while at the same time going through charge cycles like the guideline says.

Djmx
Jul 24, 2007, 02:00 PM
From reading this it makes you think that you should completely use up the battery and re-charge at least once per month. But if you look at the way Apple defines "charge cycles" that isn't the case:

"A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle."

This means that you don't have to let your battery drain all the way. You can plug it in at night, every night, and keep your charge topped off while at the same time going through charge cycles like the guideline says.

True.. BUT it's still IMPOSSIBLE to go thru 1 Charge Cycle a month!! maybe couple days but not A MONTH!

millerrh
Jul 24, 2007, 02:01 PM
True.. BUT it's still IMPOSSIBLE to go thru 1 Charge Cycle a month!! maybe couple days but not A MONTH!

Use Phone regularly. Go through at least one "charge cycle" per month.

Djmx
Jul 24, 2007, 02:18 PM
Use Phone regularly. Go through at least one "charge cycle" per month.

So The best way is charge it everynite...?

millerrh
Jul 24, 2007, 03:14 PM
I'm pretty sure there is no best way. Just that you should use it regularly. This means don't let it sit unused for a month. Regular usage will make it cycle its charge a few times by default without you having to modify how you use it.

dagger01
Jul 24, 2007, 03:48 PM
If those common sense "pointers" are so damned important, how about making them easy access buttons in the menu or physical toggles on the unit itself (i.e., switches for WiFi and Bluetooth on and off)?

Be PROACTIVE!!!! Don't make everything the user's fault!

dagger01
Jul 24, 2007, 03:53 PM
So The best way is charge it everynite...?

They are saying to "at least" let it run through a full drain and recharge once a month. That means DO NOT PLUG IT IN EVERY NIGHT!!! It also means to let it drain as much and as often as possible before charging. If the day's over and your at 50%, don't pug it in. Bring the charger with you should it die the next day, but let it go if you can. You should do this with every rechargeable device.

millerrh
Jul 24, 2007, 03:59 PM
They are saying to "at least" let it run through a full drain and recharge once a month. That means DO NOT PLUG IT IN EVERY NIGHT!!! It also means to let it drain as much and as often as possible before charging. If the day's over and your at 50%, don't pug it in. Bring the charger with you should it die the next day, but let it go if you can. You should do this with every rechargeable device.

I think you might be misunderstanding what they are saying. I thought exactly the same thing as you thought until I looked up the definition of "charge cycle" which I posted above. According to Apple, you can still go through a charge cycle without running your battery down. If you use up 50% of your battery and charge it up, then run down another 50% of your battery and charge it up, that equals one charge cycle. It doesn't all have to happen at the same time.

I like this because I don't want to be running around with 10% battery and then have it go out on me. I prefer to charge every night and keep my battery topped off. Turns out that either way you do it (run it down or charge every night) it effects the battery the same.

I could be wrong, but that's how their definition of charge cycle reads to me.

EDIT: I think the important thing (as they say) is to keep the electrons moving, not necessarily HOW you keep them moving.

Djmx
Jul 24, 2007, 04:48 PM
I think you might be misunderstanding what they are saying. I thought exactly the same thing as you thought until I looked up the definition of "charge cycle" which I posted above. According to Apple, you can still go through a charge cycle without running your battery down. If you use up 50% of your battery and charge it up, then run down another 50% of your battery and charge it up, that equals one charge cycle. It doesn't all have to happen at the same time.

I like this because I don't want to be running around with 10% battery and then have it go out on me. I prefer to charge every night and keep my battery topped off. Turns out that either way you do it (run it down or charge every night) it effects the battery the same.

I could be wrong, but that's how their definition of charge cycle reads to me.

EDIT: I think the important thing (as they say) is to keep the electrons moving, not necessarily HOW you keep them moving.

Ooooooooh ok so i guess i'll charge it everynite...ur right u dnt want it to wait till it drains and and u might need th fone and only 10% left and u can't use it. Alright... hope this is correct tho..

JimmyDreams
Jul 24, 2007, 07:15 PM
This post deleted because I didn't read the rest of the replies before I stuck my nose in. As Emily Latella would say:

"NEVERMIND!!!"

JimmyD