PDA

View Full Version : Does Airport Extreme work with a 15" G4 Powerbook?

dalethompson
Jul 24, 2007, 02:27 PM
I was looking at getting a new Airport Extreme base but I'm not sure if it will work with my 15" G4 Powerbook at all?

I currently have a Linksys WRT54G which is OK but is such a pain to set up when it does happen to crash once in a while too. Besides, I don't think I'm getting the most powerful signal I can get too.

Besides saying that the new wireless "N" has 5 times more speed than the wireless "G", is it worth it to switch over from a linksys to the Airport Extreme?

TIA,
Dale

aethelbert
Jul 24, 2007, 02:50 PM
I don't think that you will get the benefits of 802.11n with your powerbook. Airport Extreme used to be 802.11g, so that's why the wifi card in your laptop is called "airport extreme." I don't think that your notebook would get the n signal, but the g signal from the router. So it would just be the same speed from a different router.

dalethompson
Jul 26, 2007, 03:09 PM
So unless I get an upgrade for the airport card (internally) from a "G" to an "N", I won't be able to take advantage of it then?

Can you buy such a thing too? Can you upgrade your internal wireless airport card in a powerbook?

-Dale

joepunk
Jul 26, 2007, 03:57 PM
you'll will still be able to use the new airport extreme base station as it's compatible with "g" cards in PBs.

I would buy it just for the simplicity of having an all apple system even though you don't have a "n" card.

londonweb
Aug 17, 2007, 04:11 AM
I've just read a rather scathing review on the UK Apple store regarding the new AirPort Extreme Base Station, basically saying that the signal was very poor between the Station and his iBook G4, even when he was sat in the same room. The review. (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=94023922&nplm=MB053#rev)

I was thinking about getting one of these, but bearing in mind I've got a pb G4 with 802.11g, I'm a bit worried now. Anyone else had a similar experience?