PDA

View Full Version : Nuns Get 2 1/2 Years for anti was acts

applemacdude
Jul 25, 2003, 10:04 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=718&e=9&u=/ap/20030726/ap_on_re_us/nuns_missile_silo

I wonder how the nuns are gonna get treated in jail. Can't they just get community hours? But they were in federal grounds..i feel nuetral

MrMacMan
Jul 25, 2003, 10:34 PM
Weird, I thought the Church was pro war...?

Well obviously they couldn't do much damage with "The Roman Catholic nuns cut a fence and walked onto a Minuteman III silo site in northeastern Colorado last October, pounding the silo with hammers and painting a cross on it with their blood. Officials said they caused at least $1,000 in damage. "
Um, I doubt that thich metal plating which protects the silo itself was damaged... $1000 how much blood did they spill?

Obviously they are very bold Catholics, they stood for what they belive in, I which there was no jail time, but that is the way the government it.

evil
Jul 25, 2003, 10:45 PM
obviously if someone is going to do something like they did they should be prepared to pay the consequences.
they should be thanking their lucky stars or god or whatever that they didnt get the full six years.

NavyIntel007
Jul 26, 2003, 12:40 AM
Yeah, they shouldn't just assume that because they are Nuns they won't get caught and/or punished.

P-Worm
Jul 26, 2003, 02:16 AM
I can see the hit blockbuster now...

Nuns III: Sin Will Pay!

See two renegade nuns on the edge fight for their beliefs in an explosive new action thriller. Whoopi Goldberg returns as the in-your-face nun from Sister Act that will take religion from Xtreme to the MaX!

Vin Diesel stars as an evil Minuteman III Silo supervisor that has selfishly decided to keep America safe. The only thing stopping him are his sisters, but not his siblings!

Viewers rave:

"An erotic action movie that kept my blood pumping till the very end!"

"The best sequel to a nun action movie all year!"

"I don't know what's better, nuns with guns, or crack!"

That's right, Nuns III: Sin will Pay debuting this summer.

Pray for whoever gets in their way...

P-Worm

rainman::|:|
Jul 26, 2003, 02:17 AM
they're upset because they believe the Minuteman III is a first-strike weapon prohibited by international law.

they're right.

but then i believe in civil disobedience... not to draw flames, just saying.

pnw

the future
Jul 26, 2003, 09:03 AM
$ 1.000 damage -> 2,5-3 years jail = absolute madness.

wdlove
Jul 26, 2003, 10:52 AM
Civil disobedience is allowed by our Constitution. If you knowingly break the law then you should be ready to pay the consequences!

Capt Underpants
Jul 26, 2003, 11:12 AM
I know what they did was wrong and they should get time for it, but I just can't stop laughing. This picture of the nun with her arms spread out. I can hear her saying, " no war, yo". That is just a funny picture.

dabirdwell
Jul 26, 2003, 12:36 PM
A sad day for justice

evil
Jul 26, 2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by dabirdwell
A sad day for justice
a sad day for nuns. especially stupid ones.

candan9019
Jul 26, 2003, 02:00 PM
I live not too far from those silos. Everyone here was suprised that they existed. Im glad that the nuns pointed it out. Oh well I guess there "protecting america" as they like to say. Violating treaties is what I call it.

Jul 26, 2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by candan9019
I live not too far from those silos. Everyone here was suprised that they existed. Im glad that the nuns pointed it out. Oh well I guess there "protecting america" as they like to say. Violating treaties is what I call it.

Yep, exactly, protecting america... those damn ... dutch might invade at any time...

or it could be you canadians... :eek:

more likely unabashed intimidation...

pnw

wdlove
Jul 26, 2003, 03:35 PM
Those silos are responsible for getting us through the Cold War safely!

evil
Jul 26, 2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by wdlove

yeah. people forget too easily.

Jul 26, 2003, 05:13 PM

Yeah, and it's a damn good thing we don't get rid of them, if we did we might risk never getting in another cold war!

i'd hate for that to happen... i want to be prepared to help cause another 3 decades of terror if another country ever gets big enough to rival us...

like that's bloody likely, we'd have control of any government before it got to be near our size...

WMD proliferation is the next step we should be taking (twenty years after the cold war), because MAD is certainly not a deterrant, just a tool for escalation of tensions. And with politics being how they are now, we do not need any more tension.

pnw

patrick0brien
Jul 26, 2003, 05:41 PM
-All

The Minutemen missle were indeed a part of what got us through the cold war, as much as MAD. And yes they served us well, I think we can agree that the usefulness is largely past, however, the mentailty is what takes the tim to deconstruct, not the tech.

Give it time - and a few misguided nuns.

kevin49093
Jul 26, 2003, 05:45 PM

They are the same silos that helped cause much of the Cold War.

I have been following this case for a while now, and my wife got the chance to hear these ladies speak about two months ago. I believe there was a line in their presentation about just wanting to help President Bush because he was having so much trouble finding weapons of mass distruction. They though it would be helpful to point them out for him to see.

They also said they cut the fence, walked on in, spilled the blood, hammered the railway line a few times, and then sat down and waited. They had to wait for quite a while before anyone came. (I thought this was a high risk area?)

I'm not pissed they got caught and punished, and they are not either. I guess I just hope they live long enough to get out. They are quite old...

MrMacMan
Jul 26, 2003, 09:10 PM

Um, and also creating a billion more of themselves, U.S gets one Russia Gets one, We get 10, Russia Gets 2, We get 20, Russia Get 4...

We have enough of those missles to blow the world to tiny particles many, many many times over.

I mean they (these spcific type of missles) are only 50% of the U.S Arsenal of WMD.

candan9019
Jul 26, 2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by evil
yeah. people forget too easily.

I don't forget, I watch the History Channel all the time. The political climate has changed though. Oh well I'm going to school in Ottawa this fall I don't think there are any there. Not that I would be safe if they were used, and neither would anyone else.

kylos
Jul 27, 2003, 10:33 PM
Heh. My dad was just saying that one of the nuns, Ardeth Platte, was from a town just ten miles from my house. He actually grew up there. It's probably only got 500 residents. I played on a little league team there once. Funny.
Regardless of your opinions on nuclear weaponry, it's efficacy, civil disobedience, and so forth, these nuns were trespassing and vandalizing federal property, and that's enough of an offense to deserve their punishment.

MyLeftNut
Jul 28, 2003, 05:24 AM
Um no, MAD did not save Americas butt...McDonalds, Nike, Coke, Levis, fast cars and fast women did that. Your domination is complete. I mean seriously, why are Americans so ****ing paranoid and xenophobic? There is not one standing army today that would be capable of invading America and with even lesser reason to do so...Other countries have more to fear from you than the other way around...wake up.

OK so the nuns broke a couple of laws that are protecting some STUPID military hardware. At least a suspended sentence or a sizeable fine but 2 years? cmon...

The real terrorists in Guantanemo are probably gonna get lighter sentences than the nuns...hmmpf

macfan
Jul 28, 2003, 03:37 PM
paulwhannel,
The difference between a first strike weapon and a defensive weapon only become apparent when the weapon is used.

The nuns knew what they were doing when they did it. Civil disobedience includes paying the price for that disobedience.

MLN,
Those interested in attacking the US today don't have standing armies, but they managed to kill more civilians on the American homeland than anyone in the last 100 plus years.

Countries which love liberty have nothing to fear from American military might, and we do not fear the military might of other freedom-loving nations.

LethalWolfe
Jul 29, 2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Weird, I thought the Church was pro war...?

Well obviously they couldn't do much damage with "The Roman Catholic nuns cut a fence and walked onto a Minuteman III silo site in northeastern Colorado last October, pounding the silo with hammers and painting a cross on it with their blood. Officials said they caused at least $1,000 in damage. "
Um, I doubt that thich metal plating which protects the silo itself was damaged... $1000 how much blood did they spill?

Obviously they are very bold Catholics, they stood for what they belive in, I which there was no jail time, but that is the way the government it.

People commited premeditated crimes. Why should it make a difference if it was a nun? And the fact that they used blood, as opposed to spray paint, is just... yuck. Blood is a freakin' biohazard. Paint probably would have been a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to clean up.

As others have said, civil disobedience can be a healthy thing but if you knowingly commit an unlawful act you should be prepard, and willing, to accept the punishment.

Lethal

patrick0brien
Jul 29, 2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
As others have said, civil disobedience can be a healthy thing but if you knowingly commit an unlawful act you should be prepard, and willing, to accept the punishment.

-LethalWolfe

You know what? You statement brings up an interesting thought:

I think these women knew exactly wat was going to happen. They wen in an specifically broke the law. They got exactly what they wanted - Press on their cause.

They are probably looking forward to going to prison - further persons to help. These are nuns after all. Besides, prison has similarities to Convent Sequestration - so the adjustment period should be short.