PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I have the cash (finally). Should I wait on my purchase (g5 related)


mystixman
Jul 25, 2003, 10:27 PM
I finally saved up enough for a 1.8 G5 with 1 GB RAM and an ATI 9800 graphics card, airport extreme and bluetooth along with a 23" monitor. My question is, should I wait for new monitors? They are bound to come out sometime, but is it worth the wait?

Vlade
Jul 25, 2003, 11:34 PM
I recommend getting the dual 2.0 GHz, a 25% increase in price for about 100% speed increase.

tpjunkie
Jul 26, 2003, 12:12 AM
I agree with vlade, you can get a much cheaper LCD monitor elsewhere and upgrade to the dual 2.0 ghz which packs a lot more power

solvs
Jul 26, 2003, 01:36 AM
Agreed. Get the Dual 2 GHz. Buy your RAM third party. Some place like OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com). Get the 20", or wait awile. If you're buying the 9800, I'm assuming you'll play games. The extra CPU power will help. Buy the dual.

P-Worm
Jul 26, 2003, 01:57 AM
Dual is my suggestion too. I have a dual processor and it spanks everything in it's path. I can't imagine what the dual G5 would be like. :eek:

Take everyone's advice here, there are cheaper monitors and cheaper RAM.

P-Worm

QCassidy352
Jul 26, 2003, 02:10 AM
to answer your original question (hehe), I see no reason not to wait a while. It's not like you could have a new G5 tomorrow... you'll be waiting anyway, so why place your order now? New monitors are highly anticipated... if they aren't out by the time the G5s are actually available, then I'd say just buy the computer. But don't place the order yet!