Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2002
Apple LCD Studio Displays are great displays. But for next revision, I would really like to see them accompanied by quality built in speakers. Personally I do not really like small external speakers because they clutter desk space. And the speakers on eMac's are not too shabby. So why not make a Studio Display with built in speakers?

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
How about - NO.
Quiality is a subjective thing. What for some may seem high quality is garbage for others. If I really want 5.1 system, why would i want to pay for some built in speakers that i will never use and will likely end up costing like $200 more.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i seem to remember a promising technology that was based on the flat-speaker designs, to turn the entire surface of a display into a speaker... i could see Apple incorporating that if it ever develops into something really high-quality. but then, my personal theory anyway is that something coming out of Apple within the next 3 years will incorporate an audio transducer of some sort, perhaps some really creative application...

pnw

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by paulwhannel
i seem to remember a promising technology that was based on the flat-speaker designs, to turn the entire surface of a display into a speaker... i could see Apple incorporating that if it ever develops into something really high-quality. but then, my personal theory anyway is that something coming out of Apple within the next 3 years will incorporate an audio transducer of some sort, perhaps some really creative application...

pnw

You are talking about electrostatic speakers. They are extremely directional and have an insanely great sound. Problem is cost and lack of bass response. This will get better with time, but don't hold your breath.

Dan

edit: PS - I would rather choose my speakers based on quality, not convenience. No computer manufacturer offers a solid sound system as a default option. Real quality comes from spending some cash, so I'd rather not have to replace speakers that I paid for and chose not to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.