Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xtn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
hey guys,

my fraternity is going to start organizing rush events soon, and i am usually in charge of designing shirts. in the past i've made sloppy "examples" by just copying and pasting my ideas together. i'd really like to learn how to make a much more professional looking graphic, or how to edit and rearrange images for what i want.

what would be a good (free or shareware) software i should look into for either designing t-shirts, or editing images? even if its a trial version, i'd at least would like to have most functionality, and be able to save the image. thanks for any insight you guys would have!

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
I think you can get a trial download of Photoshop or Illustrator and it has full save capabilities for 30 days. Illustrator would be a better choice, because unless you're using someplace like CafePress, handing a .tif or .jpg to a screenprinter is going to incur some heavy art charges when they take what you give them and convert it to it's actually useable.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
For t shirt work you could look at Intaglio, it is not free but fairly cheap. Inkscape is free and compares to Illustrator.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Is Inkscape better than Intaglio??

Inkscape seemed clunky when I tried it. I use Illustrator so I did not need to learn a new program. I have Intaglio but have not learned it yet. But I would guess Intaglio is the easier of the two.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I couldn't figure out how to change the background with Inkscape, including a transparency checkerboard.

It also does not understand viewport-fill like it seems happens with most of the stuff out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.