PDA

View Full Version : I Dont Trust Folding Anymore!..

Falleron
Jul 26, 2003, 07:22 AM
This is the second time in a row that my unit which I have spent many hours folding has "quit". I dont see why I should keep going with this project if I invest a week or two folding a unit + it then quits without giving me credit!!

Vlade
Jul 26, 2003, 10:11 AM
Well its not like you invested much of your time or money, you just left your computer on. Maybe go post at the official forum to figure it out, or switch client apps

jimthorn
Jul 26, 2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Falleron
This is the second time in a row that my unit which I have spent many hours folding has "quit". I dont see why I should keep going with this project if I invest a week or two folding a unit + it then quits without giving me credit!!

What do you mean exactly by "quits without giving me credit"?

Vlade
Jul 26, 2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by jimthorn
What do you mean exactly by "quits without giving me credit"?

I think he means it just starts a new WU in the middle of another WU

Falleron
Jul 26, 2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
I think he means it just starts a new WU in the middle of another WU
Yeah, thats right. I am hoping this is a temporary issue. I dont want to sound like its the end of the world. But, its is a bit annoying when I am trying to stay in the top 40 in our team. Its harder and harder these days to stay in the top 40. I dont like loosing about 40-50 points.

Rower_CPU
Jul 26, 2003, 03:35 PM
I would trash anything related to folding and start from scratch.

MrMacMan
Jul 26, 2003, 10:17 PM
Yeah, thats right. I am hoping this is a temporary issue. I dont want to sound like its the end of the world. But, its is a bit annoying when I am trying to stay in the top 40 in our team. Its harder and harder these days to stay in the top 40. I dont like loosing about 40-50 points.

Yeah I would trash and go.

Can't do any harm.

Falleron
Jul 27, 2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Yeah I would trash and go.

Can't do any harm.
I dont believe it! Its done it again!! It had completed about 50 frames or so + now its restarted.

maradong
Jul 27, 2003, 08:11 AM
timeout ?
overclock ?
error in the wu ?
crash ?
these are some possible problems.

Falleron
Jul 27, 2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by maradong
timeout ?
overclock ?
error in the wu ?
crash ?
these are some possible problems.
I guess its one of these things. I just dont know. This PC is just used for downloading updates etc + Folding is left running (console version). It does not crash, just starts over every so often. Never had this problem with my Macs. I also have a 2Ghz Sony Laptop which chugs away nicely. I assume this is sending units back as it should be.

I have actually deleted folding from the computer + re-installed it. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

MrMacMan
Jul 27, 2003, 12:49 PM
I dont believe it! Its done it again!! It had completed about 50 frames or so + now its restarted.

You didn't take my adivice... :rolleyes:

Later you say you did but still.

Falleron
Jul 27, 2003, 04:06 PM
You didn't take my adivice... :rolleyes:

Later you say you did but still.
To be honest, I did not take your advice straight away. I let it go once more. However, when it messed up again, I trashed the folding directory + started again. Should have done that in the first place!

Thanks

PS. Up to Frame 45 on this unit without it re-starting again.

Frohickey
Jul 27, 2003, 04:59 PM
Or maybe turn the computer off, or put it to sleep and save the electricity bills...

If it was my machine at home that I pay the electricity bills for, Stanford will have to send me a check for me to give them some CPU cycles... TANSTAAFL!

MrMacMan
Jul 27, 2003, 08:03 PM
To be honest, I did not take your advice straight away. I let it go once more. However, when it messed up again, I trashed the folding directory + started again. Should have done that in the first place!

Thanks

PS. Up to Frame 45 on this unit without it re-starting again.

hehe, I know it was hard to lose those units, but I mean something was corrupt.

Lets hope it works. :)

Falleron
Aug 3, 2003, 06:26 AM
Its done it again. Not sure what to try now! Have re-installed.

Any ideas?

Vlade
Aug 3, 2003, 10:04 AM
Dang... maybe post on the stanford folding forums, there are more people there... that sucks :(

MrMacMan
Aug 3, 2003, 10:08 AM
Its done it again. Not sure what to try now! Have re-installed.

Any ideas?

you overclock your machine or something?

Serioulsy that aint folding if you re-installed.

bertinman
Aug 3, 2003, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure whats going on... I seems like all my machines are on and folding but not turning anything in... I just pinged one--ON--checked system load--100%. but no points. wierd. I think I'll give it one last try at getting the lab sefl-sufficient and then just not care anymore.

maybe they are all getting bad wu's and just restarting a bunch. lets hope it'll stop before I get back from vacation.

oh well.

MrMacMan
Aug 3, 2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by bertinman
I'm not sure whats going on... I seems like all my machines are on and folding but not turning anything in... I just pinged one--ON--checked system load--100%. but no points. wierd. I think I'll give it one last try at getting the lab sefl-sufficient and then just not care anymore.

maybe they are all getting bad wu's and just restarting a bunch. lets hope it'll stop before I get back from vacation.

oh well.

Acually some of the servers have been down... like normal, but I tried turing some points in and they all got rejected... :(

Some bad folding mojo, coming on here.

mc68k
Aug 4, 2003, 01:28 AM
that bites :(

if it keeps doing the same thing, then it won't work

i'd post on stanford's forums, then give up or try a different distributed project on it

bertinman
Aug 5, 2003, 10:50 AM
i was actually at stanford last weekend... at the future of air and space travel forum.

should have gone and asked personally :P.

seems the comps got themselves back p and running themselves again.

I built my own stats page and have been watching my graphs progress, and it really gets me mad that I'm about to have a week of good solid folding and the servers all tank for some reason.

(wow you can tell that I get up from my desk and do things between writing ideas...it's kind of non-sequitor :))

bertinman
Aug 6, 2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by bertinman
i was actually at stanford last weekend... at the future of air and space travel forum.

should have gone and asked personally :P.

seems the comps got themselves back p and running themselves again.

I built my own stats page and have been watching my graphs progress, and it really gets me mad that I'm about to have a week of good solid folding and the servers all tank for some reason.

(wow you can tell that I get up from my desk and do things between writing ideas...it's kind of non-sequitor :))

update: I'm no longer whining...

plus I think in a week or two I might make the site public. I have to ask for permission of course. But, I think it's coming along nicely.

Falleron
Aug 7, 2003, 09:40 AM
you overclock your machine or something?

Serioulsy that aint folding if you re-installed.
No overclocking here. The offending machine is only a 466Mhz machine. Not sure what is causing this. + yes I did re-install it.