Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

passthejonch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
how reliable is teh ibook?

i look aroudn some ibook forums and there seems to be all these complaints about how their 800 mhz ibook with applecare sucks and how apple's service is crap. having to send it back then crapping out 2 weeks after they get it back

i am seriously looking into an ibook but it seems so problematic

bastardx

macrumors member
May 16, 2003
Eugene, OR
People I know with iBooks, love them, they are very reliable, I know of one person who has had hers for 3 years, and will get a new one this fall. They are not bad computers at all, although if you read forums in apple support about a computer, you will pretty much only hear about problems. Since it is a support forum.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i've had a few logic board problems but apple has always been quick to repair them...

ColdZero

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2002
Where I work we have carts with about 20 iBooks each on them that go around to various classrooms. They are handled each day by several students from 1st grade up to 8th. We have models from the original blueberry up until the latest 800Mhz. They are very rugged, some have a few scratches on them from handling but overall they have held up very well to use by students. And I think they treat them like crap, but they have still held up. The one thing we have had to replace was the DC board in some of them. The constant plugging and unplugging of the power adapter has broken the connection inside. Oh the other thing that had to be replaced were the keyboards, but this has since been fixed in a revision and is no longer an issue.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
bastardx is right. I started off looking at Apple.com support pages, so I'm familiar with the complaints. Its a support forum. Its basically a place for you to whine and moan about your ibook, and how its broken. People ask others, usually Doug or Doug McLaughlin, what they should do before sending their iBook out. But like they always say, considering the number of people who own an iBook, and comparing this number with the number of complaints there are, the number of complaints they get there isn't very large. The iBook is a fine piece of computer ass if you ask me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.