Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I photographed my first wedding this past Saturday and still going through photos, I took 800 photos.

Equipment Used: Canon 5d, Canon 30d, 24-105mm f/4, 50mm f/1.4 and 70-200mm f/2.8, Canon 430 & 580 Flash, all in RAW

897035688_2cf2a99e04.jpg

867272381_77fb4acb68.jpg

896874586_9c2bd96211.jpg

897054326_c7a170629a.jpg

More uploaded this evening

Comments and Critiques are Welcomed

Thank You, MC

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
That's a really nice picture of the bride and grandmother (I'd assume). Even with the shallow DOF though, the waiter chugging a bottle of water is a little distracting. Same problem with the bouquet picture to some degree. What's that pink thing?

I'm the fartherst thing from an expert, but the colors seem really nice to me, details in the white dresses are there, eyes are nice and sparkly...

I'm photographing a friend's wedding in a few months. If I can produce pictures half this good I'll be very very happy.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Might be the computer here at work, but the images seem a little blown out to me? I'll admit, I have a tendency to underexpose.

And you shot the whole wedding in RAW? Yikes!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Gawd... all that enforced jollity... Reminds me why I hate weddings so much.

But don't mind me... The family should be very happy with what you've shot. Good 'memory maker' shots. But 800 pix?!? :eek:

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Sounds right on to me, if not a little low (depending on the length of the wedding and reception). It's important to take enough shots to allow yourself some editing freedom- and to provide the bride and groom with a decent variety.

Fair enough... but sometimes the sheer volume of pix can be daunting... making it harder to separate the wheat from the chaff.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
That's a really nice picture of the bride and grandmother (I'd assume). Even with the shallow DOF though, the waiter chugging a bottle of water is a little distracting

I'm pretty sure that is one of the groomsman. They just have their jackets off.

For a first wedding I'd say these turned out pretty good. I've seen photos from other people's weddings that weren't as nice. If you keep shooting, you'll only get better.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I'm pretty sure that is one of the groomsman. They just have their jackets off.

For a first wedding I'd say these turned out pretty good. I've seen photos from other people's weddings that weren't as nice. If you keep shooting, you'll only get better.

Ah, right, groomsman. That makes more sense.

OP. Please post more! These are great inspiration and really good so far.

gphoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
U.S.
Nice pics. As the others said, the backgrounds are pretty busy, but otherwise they are nice. I like the light in the first picture; is it coming off the ground? The group picture has people with their limbs in front of other people's faces, which is not good, and the background and lens focal length could have been better. The grandmother and bride picture could be cropped somewhat to remove the distracting elements and draw attention to the faces. My advice on the details is to get close, use only elements in the frame that contribute to the picture greatly instead of having the view sort through the busyness to get to the element that you are trying to show.
As to the number of pictures, take as many as you can; if you don't, you will regret it when you are editing.
For a first attempt, these are great pictures.

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Thank you!

for all the wonderful comments and suggestions, the bride and groom are coming over on friday too look through them with me.

about the number of photos, yeah it was a lot but I rather more than less :) I neatly organized them for them.

I will post more this evening if I have time :)

Thanks again!

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The ideas for the shots are great, I really like the shot of the grandmother (of the bride?) and the bride, if it weren't for the noise in the background.

The group shot is also full of personality, the guy pointing his finger in the foreground, the funny trio, this is worth more than 1000 words, literally. (Although I doubt the uninitiated will be able to see the full story!)

For shots inside, I would suggest you choose a larger aperture and/or a larger focal length (if that's at all possible) to neutralize the background more effectively. Depending on your funds, I'd suggest you have a look at 50 or 85 mm lenses which have a much larger aperture than professional zooms.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I would agree with everyone else here... nice photos. We can always nitpick them, but a lot of the "flaws" can be fixed with post-processing anyway, including blurring the backgrounds more, etc. Just make sure not to lose your highlights, but shooting raw should give you enough range to tweak the individual pictures to their best appearance. It's always daunting to cull down as many images as you took, but you have more options to offer the customer, so great (and the film cost ain't half bad... ;) .) I'd agree that a prime 85mm 1.8 would be a great addition to the camera bag for events like these.

Looking forward to seeing more from this shoot.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Love em! The exposure is spot on and they're really nice. I can assure you, that unless the bride is herself a photographer she isn't going to care about the busy backgrounds. EG. When I take pictures of my aunts grandkids she wouldn't notice if there were people dancing naked in the background. As long as its her babies the picture is perfect. Old people and kids baby, easiest pictures in the world ;).

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Looks great!

Watch out for faces being covered (like in example 2 on the first post, the woman on the far left's face if covered). Also, watch to not shoot too many backs of heads and closed eyes.

The quality of image is amazing, exposure is right on too!

All in all, i am being nit picky, but if those were my wedding pictures, I would be very happy with them. Great job!:D

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Thank You!

for all the wonderful comments! I have another wedding coming up Aug 17th, should be fun!

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I like these a lot. :) But I have a question to those of you who shoot outdoors, in the sun. I see a lot of shadows on faces, and I can see why - it was a sunny day. But what do pros do to avoid that, do they use those big reflecting surfaces, and filler lights?

When the shots are candid, I realise fillers and extra surfaces aren't possible, but does the photographer then do something in PS? :confused:

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I like these a lot. :) But I have a question to those of you who shoot outdoors, in the sun. I see a lot of shadows on faces, and I can see why - it was a sunny day. But what do pros do to avoid that, do they use those big reflecting surfaces, and filler lights?

When the shots are candid, I realise fillers and extra surfaces aren't possible, but does the photographer then do something in PS? :confused:

That is one of things I don't like about the photos overall, some of the photos have masked eyes, the eyes are really dark, the only that I know to correct this in sunlight is that you use a fill flash, and also reflectors, I plan to get some in the future. but the flash thing does work, but also PP in PS does too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.