Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
fun game!

Thanks!

I originally wrote it for Pocket PC in 1997, then again for Palm in 2000. I figured I needed it for my iphone as well :)

I'm working on vegas solitaire now (i don't like the scoring in the others) and then texas hold 'em.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Could use a little tweaking (esp. where it erases the cell borders at times) but a pretty fun variation on what would otherwise be a pretty stupid game. Good work!:)

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
Could use a little tweaking (esp. where it erases the cell borders at times) but a pretty fun variation on what would otherwise be a pretty stupid game. Good work!:)

Are you playing on iphone? I've only seen it doing the border-erase stuff on firefox.

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
texas hold 'em would be nice.

Leaning toward that. Just to throw some more suggestions out there:

- hearts
- spades
- blackjack
- trek (this is an ancient game based on star trek - you warp from square to square, then attack klingons with phasers and photon torpedos and stuff). I've written this one in the past for palm and pocket pc
- bowling (i have an idea of how to make this work on iphone, but not sure it'll work).
- a game similar to alchemy (sort of like dominoes, i guess, but more complicated)

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Ooh...Ooh...trek! I don't like Star Trek AT ALL but my dad is a freak about it and owns the arcade game of what you're talking about :)

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
Ooh...Ooh...trek! I don't like Star Trek AT ALL but my dad is a freak about it and owns the arcade game of what you're talking about :)

There was an arcade version? I never heard of it. Have a link to a reference about it or something? I'm curious if it's the same thing - the one I know about would be not very arcade-ish.

iLes

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007
Tewksbury Massachusetts
I vote for Star Trek

Star Trek would be my choice. In fact, it was going to be my first jScript/web game but I decided to try something a little more simpler and thus iBots was born. I'm still going to toy around with a Star Trek-type game but not sure how to fit it within the iPhone display. Probably landscape would be the best way to present it with the right half of the screen showing the stats.

- Les

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
Star Trek would be my choice. In fact, it was going to be my first jScript/web game but I decided to try something a little more simpler and thus iBots was born. I'm still going to toy around with a Star Trek-type game but not sure how to fit it within the iPhone display. Probably landscape would be the best way to present it with the right half of the screen showing the stats.

- Les

Okay, star trek it is. I've had a lot of experience fitting it onto a small display, so the giant iphone display will be cake :)

Now i just have to decide how much logic to put on the client and how much to put on the server; i like to keep everything on the client to avoid people having to have continuous network connectivity, but I'm not sure I can save game state using cookies (max is probably 4KB per cookie? maybe it will work. I'll have to encode carefully.)

In a couple of weeks I should have it together enough for beta testers to begin playing around with it, I would guess. Main challenge would be drawing phaser blasts using javascript, i would think.

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
Trek progress

I'm making great progress on trek. In the process, however, I discovered that iphone-safari is very picky about tables and how they interact with scrolling. It even caused the browser to crash sometimes.

<div>'s are definitely the way to go :)

Anyway, tonight i'm going to play around with save/load (to cookies - again, trying to avoid a cgi back end on it) - that's probably the only remaining unknown. I've kept the datastructures such that no one chunk should be more than 4kB, and, if need be, they can be compressed.

Probably still on track for alpha testers in a couple weeks.

iLes

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007
Tewksbury Massachusetts
I'm making great progress on trek. In the process, however, I discovered that iphone-safari is very picky about tables and how they interact with scrolling. It even caused the browser to crash sometimes.

<div>'s are definitely the way to go :)

Anyway, tonight i'm going to play around with save/load (to cookies - again, trying to avoid a cgi back end on it) - that's probably the only remaining unknown. I've kept the datastructures such that no one chunk should be more than 4kB, and, if need be, they can be compressed.

Probably still on track for alpha testers in a couple weeks.

Cool stuff. I've been toying around with it myself but just can't seem to get the layout right. How are you handling inputing of commands? I was going to use buttons across the top of the most useful commands so it would be easy and quick to access them on the iPhone.

Also, I'm guessing you're making it graphical, yes? Or were you going with a "classic" text type display? If graphical, what are you using for the different objects? And I'm guessing your layout will be landscape?

I'm anxious to see it.

- Les

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
Cool stuff. I've been toying around with it myself but just can't seem to get the layout right. How are you handling inputing of commands? I was going to use buttons across the top of the most useful commands so it would be easy and quick to access them on the iPhone.

Also, I'm guessing you're making it graphical, yes? Or were you going with a "classic" text type display? If graphical, what are you using for the different objects? And I'm guessing your layout will be landscape?

I'm anxious to see it.

- Les

I'm doing it portrait (though, after it all gets working, handling rotation should be easy). It's graphical. Commands are done through buttons and touching the "grid." The buttons change depending on context. (for example, if you highlight an empty space you can "move" whereas when you touch an enemy ship you can "fire."

I'll leave the rest as a surprise :)

(I'm learning quite a bit about safari-iphone's cookie handling right now. grrr.)

iLes

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007
Tewksbury Massachusetts
I'm doing it portrait (though, after it all gets working, handling rotation should be easy). It's graphical. Commands are done through buttons and touching the "grid." The buttons change depending on context. (for example, if you highlight an empty space you can "move" whereas when you touch an enemy ship you can "fire."

I'll leave the rest as a surprise :)

(I'm learning quite a bit about safari-iphone's cookie handling right now. grrr.)

Sounds good!

I was approaching it much the same way - button & grid control. It's really the only way to do it on the iPhone.

Can't wait to see it.

- Les

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
Sounds good!

I was approaching it much the same way - button & grid control. It's really the only way to do it on the iPhone.

Can't wait to see it.

- Les

in a few days i'll put up a pre-alpha so people can comment on the interface and controls. i got the save/load stuff working, so now it should be smooth sailing. (other than the fact that safari is a bit quirky with certain css when combined with scrollTo - i keep running into that.)

wrobison

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
Maybe it's just me...

... but I can't completely follow the rules to tic tac whoa. Frankly I think the I cheats at times. In a few games it placed two Os before I ever got a turn...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.