Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daud C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Hi guys

Bought an academic version of Production Suite and upgraded it to Final Cut Studio 1 a while back. I now want to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2 but am not sure if it will work, given the academic version of Production Suite.

Any thoughts or anyone tried this path?

Daud C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
nope... with apple's academic license, there is no upgrade path... you must re-purchase the whole thing.

thanks for the reply:

does that mean then, that my Final Cut Studio 1 Upgrade/Crossgrade of Production Suite was also an academic license? is there simply continuity depending on the original license?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
if u still have the box it would say on the front.
I too hate the fact that i have to repurchase FCS2 to upgrade. I searched ebay and you the academic versions are going for about 300

Daud C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
if u still have the box it would say on the front.
I too hate the fact that i have to repurchase FCS2 to upgrade. I searched ebay and you the academic versions are going for about 300

The FCS 1 Upgrade (from Apple online) came only with the discs (no box) and the installation instructions (inc serial numbers), hence i have no indication of whether it is an academic version or otherwise.

BigJimSlade

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2005
If you have the crossgrade to 5.1 then you have a full version.

Academic licenses where eligible for the crossgrade. When you fire up FCP, does it say Retail or Academic next to the serial number?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.