PDA

View Full Version : Apple should sell on QVC

Waluigi
Jul 26, 2003, 09:02 PM
Ever browse through the channels, and see a computer for sale of QVC or ShopathomeTV or Shop NBC? They sell thousands and thousands of desktops and laptops that are sort of junky every day!

People gobble up whatever the salesmen say. Why can't Apple sell their iBooks and iMacs on those type of shows? They already know how to make really convincing videos and distort reality (like the G5 introduction video), so how come Apple doesn't do this? These things would go like hot cakes, and could easily double sales of their consumer products (the iPod would work perfectly too!)

--Waluigi

skymaXimus
Jul 26, 2003, 09:11 PM
I second the motion. All in favor?

pEZ
Jul 26, 2003, 09:14 PM
In my opinion, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who feels this way, I like the fact that Macs aren't sold on HSN or QVC. Apple is, and always has been, better than that. Third party PC producers that can pump out computers a dime a dozen can do this. Plus, those kinds of channels have a trashy feel to them. Smarmy salesmen and gruesomely incorrect product specs - ugh. I hope that Apple never does this.

And also, IMO - the goal is not to increase the number of people that use Macs - the goal is to make it better so that people are willing to take the time and effort to realize how awesome the platform is.

I kinda like being in the minority - fewer viruses.

sort of junky

Exactly. Macs aren't. They should never be a part of the TV sales crowd. Yick.

Waluigi
Jul 26, 2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by pEZ

I didn't mean to associate macs with junky PC's. I was trying, however, to say that if people buy these junky PCs left and right, then I'd give the Mac (which is vastly superior) a great chance to succeed, espically since the price point is similar on these shows as what Apple is asking for!

--Waluigi

MacUser1
Jul 26, 2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by pEZ
In my opinion, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who feels this way, I like the fact that Macs aren't sold on HSN or QVC. Apple is, and always has been, better than that. Third party PC producers that can pump out computers a dime a dozen can do this. Plus, those kinds of channels have a trashy feel to them. Smarmy salesmen and gruesomely incorrect product specs - ugh. I hope that Apple never does this.

And also, IMO - the goal is not to increase the number of people that use Macs - the goal is to make it better so that people are willing to take the time and effort to realize how awesome the platform is.

I kinda like being in the minority - fewer viruses.

i completely agree with you

Waluigi
Jul 26, 2003, 09:31 PM
MacUser1 and pEZ

Would it be OK if Apple had a set up like Dell or Gateway has, where a rep from Apple goes onto a 1/2 hr show and sells the computer direct from Apple, but with a 'special QVC pricing' for that 1/2 hr. Or would that make no difference in your opinion of this?

--Waluigi

pEZ
Jul 27, 2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Waluigi
I didn't mean to associate macs with junky PC's. I was trying, however, to say that if people buy these junky PCs left and right, then I'd give the Mac (which is vastly superior) a great chance to succeed, espically since the price point is similar on these shows as what Apple is asking for!

--Waluigi

Looking at your sig, I'm figuring that you don't actually own a Mac yet - like you don't have one in your sole possession 24/7. When you do, and have played with it for a while, and have realized that it is not something that should be bought on a TV shopping network, then make an argument.

It doesn't matter how many computers Apple sells - once you use a Mac regularly, you'll pay anything to stay with it. It's just that good.

And when Wal-Mart can sell a PC for $300, Apple can't compete - but you see, they don't have to. I have always felt that Macs sell themselves - once you know them, that is.

Oh yeah...and who's to say that Apple isn't succeeding now?

Freg3000
Jul 27, 2003, 10:40 AM
I don't know if it would work either. This price would be such a huge hurdle for people that buy from those places like QVC and HSN. I mean, they have deals on week for a Dell PC for $949, and next week they have a similar configuration and its $939 and they are like "it is by far our best deal." And then the people will wonder why they are paying more money for.....only 800 MHz?

Apple needs to tackle the PC market in my opinion. But please, one step at a time. They will make inroads with the Windows' iTMS and such, but it will just take time. Jumping into this market is too much of a risk for Apple.

These people have been brainwashed severely by the Megahertz Myth.

Abstract
Jul 27, 2003, 11:02 AM
I like the idea of Apple's 3% marketshare. If they increase their marketshare, then great for them, and good for me too, I guess. It just means that more software and game developers will jump on board the Mac ship. However, at a certain point the benefits provided by a growing market share will be outweighed by the problems associated with a larger market share: More viruses, more safety concerns. There is no payoff for me if Apple sells a few more computers, so at the end of the day, I don't really care as long as Apple isn't going out of business. There's no payoff for me.......just Apple, and Apple would have to stoop pretty low to gain this marketshare, so I'd rather not.

Selling on tv also contradicts the sleek image provided by the Apple stores. There is no "purchasing experience" when you buy something on TV. Companies want you to have the full purchasing experience, because purchasing something makes you feel important. The existence of NikeTown's are for this reason.........the "experience" of shopping, Nike style. Its almost a playground for older people........same with Apple stores, and shopping at stores in general. Apple is a computer company, but more of a lifestyle brand than anything else now. They have to keep the perception up and running.

Veldek
Jul 27, 2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by pEZ
Looking at your sig, I'm figuring that you don't actually own a Mac yet - like you don't have one in your sole possession 24/7. When you do, and have played with it for a while, and have realized that it is not something that should be bought on a TV shopping network, then make an argument.

Did it come to your mind that he actually could have worked with Macs though not having one on his own? So who gives you the right to claim who may take part in this discussion and who doesn't?

Thom_Edwards
Jul 27, 2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Veldek
Did it come to your mind that he actually could have worked with Macs though not having one on his own? So who gives you the right to claim who may take part in this discussion and who doesn't?

word

Waluigi
Jul 27, 2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by pEZ

I'm not going to go and start a Jihad with you, but.....I've been working with computers (both Macs and PCs) since 1995 as a web designer, and as a computer technician. I have had a few hand me down macs over the years in my home, but this is the first time I have personally bought a Mac myself. I have 3 x 233MHz G3's up and running in my house as I speak that were given to me from my job. I do also have a few P4's at home, only because I didn't want to buy an overpriced G4 powermac at the time I bought my P4. At work, I've been using powermacs, iBooks, and the old iMacs for years now, and I prefer them over the intel machines. I also have just set up an Xserve, and hope to get all the Macs in my school district to be OS X by 2004. At home, I will be going to exclusively using my G5 once it ships, but in the mean time, I don't appreciate being looked down upon just because I never bought a mac before.

Finally, what is wrong with wanting more people to buy a mac then a pc? I don't like it when people get ripped off on QVC when they buy a junky PC. I just wish they could have bought a mac instead. It is really an unselfish and GOOD thing to want to spread the joy of using a mac.

--Waluigi

Oh yea, thank you Veldek, your comment was very nice!

pEZ
Jul 27, 2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Veldek

I didn't mean to offend, I meant it as a point. When a person says "made the switch to Apple," that indicates to me that they have limited experience with the platform. When you use a Mac, it's better than something you would traditionally purchase on one of those TV networks.

Waluigi, if I offended you, I'm sorry. I misunderstood your signature and stature. Having said that, I have given your suggestion of an Apple rep selling on QVC a bit of thought, and I have decided that it wouldn't change my opinion, mainly because of what Abstract said. I second the idea of the "purchasing experience" - Apple is not a "from the comfort of your own home" buying experience, IMO.

Oh, and Veldek, thanks for calling me on it. :)

Gus
Jul 27, 2003, 12:09 PM
I never realized there were still Mac elitists out there. The idea that you don't want a company to sell more product because you don't want more viruses or they will look "cheaper" as a company is, I'm sorry, the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. Apple, as a company with shareholders, should be doing everything it can to sell more of its product. There is no way that selling their computers via QVC would do anything to hurt them. Do you think that it would matter to Apple that we, as users, don't want to be associated with the likes of (gasp!) Dell and Gateway? A place like QVC is the exact place that a "bake-off" needs to be done. When Steve and Phil show those P4vs. G5 photoshop tests at MacWorld, they are preaching to the choir so to speak. Something like that needs to be done in a place where the average Joe gets to see it.

Just my 2

Regards,
Gus

pEZ
Jul 27, 2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Do you think that it would matter to Apple that we, as users, don't want to be associated with the likes of (gasp!) Dell and Gateway? A place like QVC is the exact place that a "bake-off" needs to be done. When Steve and Phil show those P4vs. G5 photoshop tests at MacWorld, they are preaching to the choir so to speak. Something like that needs to be done in a place where the average Joe gets to see it.

When you put it that way, you have a point. However, I still don't think a shopping network is the place to show off Apple's machines. I was always taught never to buy something on TV, because those things are never high quality. I know lots of people have made tons of money from those channels, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I've always kind of seen QVC or HSN as a "last resort" - even though for many it's the primary arena.

As for Apple being compared to the likes of Dell, that's the best comparison anyone could make. Dell makes great computers. If I have to buy a PC for a future job, I'm buying a Dell.

iJon
Jul 27, 2003, 12:56 PM
nooooo, i hate those people. i watch them everynight at 3 in the morning and i get so pissed. they always tell you what the computer can do, but they never show it. like the guy selling systemax computers with the light of the future. i love it when they show the video of people talking about systemax computers and how great they are, but at the bottom of the screen it says how these are paid employees of systemax. when people are on qvc they are looking for something cheap, it wouldnt work. and they wouldnt sell extra potential software like .mac and applecare, which should be talked to about to every potential mac customer.

iJon

Schiffi
Jul 27, 2003, 01:34 PM
Well, I bought my TiBook online. So there was no AppleStore experience for me. However, I'd never purchase something off TV. For one reason, there is just a shoddiness to it. It lacks a certan class.

Another reason is that I doubt it'd increase Apple's Market share any at all. All it'd do would convince non-apple users that Macs are like the crappy PCs on the network. No hardcore PC user will buy a QVC computer. And if he saw a Mac on there, he'd use it to spread his antimac propaganda. It's sad really.

tazo
Jul 27, 2003, 02:55 PM
I was watching one of those, and they almost persuaded ME to buy a dell laptop :) I think they would be pretty good at selling the consumer level macs and mac products, like the 10 and 15 gig ipod, ibook, and imac. These are products that aesthethically have something going for them, and regardless of what the product is someone is going to buy it on TV! I think if they could convince me, a mac user, to mentally buy a dell laptop, they could convince plenty of house wives and guys flipping channels to buy a mac notebook or consumer level mac :)

my 2.5 cents...

Mercury
Jul 28, 2003, 01:28 AM
While there is, I agree, somewhat of a "trashy" aspect to the home shopping network and the like, I really can't see how more people owning macs would be a bad thing.

Eniregnat
Jul 28, 2003, 02:36 PM
Not that this didn't warrent a new thread, but some refrences to previous threads would of been nice.

Apple on QVC? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28562&highlight=QVC) by c2kvette (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=14895)
Apple and QVC? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21860&highlight=QVC) by hugemullens (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=13447)
Mac vs. peecee (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6576&perpage=25&highlight=QVC&pagenumber=2) by Loca (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=5421)Here coolocity (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=5506) makes an interisting point about PCs that are sold on QVC. In another thread cgmpowers
(http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=4408) makes a comment about how cheesy QVC is and how "ultra cool superlatives" poorly describe their hocks. Look here in this thread. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5854&highlight=QVC)

I'm just trying to get people to use the search function and to reference previous threads.

I like and agree with most of the thoughts as to why Apple does not sell on QVC. The most important, from my point of view, is the cost. I just don't think Apple could make a profit. But I said that in last months little rant on QVC.