Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alfista

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Hi All,

I have some DVD's I want to watch in raw DVD format. It hardly seems worth converting them to h.264 format using 12+ hours of my G5's CPU time. Can anyone point me to a concise 'how to' if this is possible? I've already cracked my box and upgraded the drive.

Regards,

Jason

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I'm pretty sure they have a plugin that can do it, but you would be able to fit more movies onto it by converting. It might be cheaper to invest in something like the Elgato Turbo H.264 for conversion.

If you would rather hack it and go to native video_ts, I'm pretty sure you can get it to work (I haven't tried it myself). Look at wiki.awkwardtv.org - In particular, I think it may be Nito TV (the plugin) that does it.

I really don't know how involved that is though.

Mike...

alfista

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Neat tool! I'll work on financing one of those. I know the TS files are bigger, but I like the DVD features and would only sync them to the appletv for a couple of weeks.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but try looking at DVD Assist. I have been playing around with looking at video files on mac using front row. I don't have apple TV but maybe this would work for you. This lets you play these files using front row.

alfista

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks everyone. I sprung for the Elgato Turbo h.264 which I really like but the software is very limited. I'm getting about 24 FPS on a 1.8ghz G5.

However, the software is missing these features:

Does not split out episodes - you get ~3.5h of 6 44 minute episodes.
Does not allow renaming of files before processing (thus you get a folder-full of similarly named items)
Does not allow you to add to queue while its encoding
I don't think it will allow you to pause/resume an encoding session between a reboot.

Any suggestions for splitting these large files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.