PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Stuck On Reboot Apple Logo Screen

PeterB10128
Jul 26, 2007, 01:10 PM
No matter how many times I try to reset the phone by pressing the power button and home key, it just goes black for a few moments and then back to the Apple logo reboot screen - and it doesn't advance from there.

Any advice on how to fix this problem?

I can't be the only person to have encountered this problem...

iBookG4user
Jul 26, 2007, 01:12 PM
Have you tried pushing and holding the power and home buttons for 25 seconds?

PeterB10128
Jul 26, 2007, 01:18 PM
Yes, I've tried holding both for 25 seconds and I still can't get past the Apple logo screen.

TimHartattack
Jul 26, 2007, 01:24 PM
Can you connect to iTunes and do a full restore? Does that fix it?

PeterB10128
Jul 26, 2007, 01:31 PM
No, iTunes doesn't recognize the iPhone.

mercury6966
Jul 26, 2007, 04:29 PM
hey i have almost the same problem, except i get the "Please connect to itunes" which means my iphone is in restore mode for some wierd reason. It was working this morning and then i go to use my phone and there you have that message. believe it or not this is my 2nd iphone i had the same issues with my 1st iphone plus the wifi would not work. they exchanged it for me and then i had the wifi issue again right after I got that "Please connect to itunes" thing again and it forced me to restore and now for the 2nd time since i got my new iphone I got that message again. this is really annoying, i'm going to see those geniuses at the apple store i'm not doing a restore so that they can see how crappy this phone has become. I'm so done that i'm thinking of just asking for my money back.

emburaman
Mar 27, 2008, 01:44 PM
I do have the same problem... and no matter how many seconds I keep Home + Wake buttons pressed, it still freezes on Apple's logo screen.

Here's what I was doing in the momment it got frozen:
The Installer.app was showing me an error so I decided to restore my iPhone. When I connected iPhone to the dock and opened iTunes, it asked me to set up a new phone or restore the backup file I created previously. I chose restore backup. In the middle of the restoring backup file, the phone froze. I closed iTunes and rebooted iPhone. Then, the weird apple logo insists...

Unfortunately I'm in Brazil, that mean I don't have an Apple Store to run into.

Any hellp appreciated!!!!!!!!

emburaman
Mar 27, 2008, 02:15 PM
Hi there,

I was almost desperate about that issue. I was looking for someone to take my iPhone to an Apple Store in US, when I found this post in YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2foiTBSn3k). Spacemonks' comment saved my day! :):D:):D

If you are experiencing the same I was, try this:

1) Hold buttons sleep + home untill iPhone turns off;
2) Open iTunes;
3) Hold home button and plug the phone to your computer. The phone will turn on and the iTunes + Arrow + cable screen will appear.;
4) iTunes will recover you phone from unsuccessful recovery process.

Thanks again to Spacemonks!! :):):)

b.james13
Mar 30, 2008, 11:38 PM
No matter how many times I try to reset the phone by pressing the power button and home key, it just goes black for a few moments and then back to the Apple logo reboot screen - and it doesn't advance from there.

Yea i had the same problem. What you need to do is put the phone in recovery mode. to do this do the following:

1. Do a hard reset on the phone, hold the sleep/wake button + the home button until it turns off then release before it turns back on.

2. Plug the dock into the compute and have iTunes running.

3. HOLD the home button on the iPhone, while holding it, connect the iPhone onto the dock and CONTINUE to hold the home button until the CONNECT TO ITUNES DISPLAY APPEARS.

4. iTunes will recognize this and ask if you would like to restore it. Click restore. Then choose to restore from BACKUP! This will take a few minutes. It will fix the problem. Your iPhone will be up and running as normal and all your contacts, sms, bookmarks, settings, etc. will be intact. The only thing that will be erased is the music. But you can easily add that all back right.

Hope this helps :D

emburaman
Mar 31, 2008, 07:50 AM
Yeah BJames,

Thanks!!
As I mention in my 2nd post (right after 1st), that Plug Dock + Hold Home really worked!!

Thanks again!
Regards!

stoked2skate
Apr 9, 2008, 01:54 AM
yes, James knows what he is talking about! Thank you so much you saved me a trip to the Apple Store, and i was so worried that my phone would be stuck turning on and off for good! SO hold the home button when you plug it into iTunes, it really works! thanks again James.

Donz0r
Jul 15, 2008, 11:16 PM
whew thanks! That just happened to me, i was freaking out. I tried downloading this application "Mind Warp" optical ollusion from the App Store, i've never hacked or jailbroken my iphone, it's only 3 days old, and right as the app was installing, the iPhone froze, so I turned it off, it spazzed out a little and went to the apple page, for good!!! idk what happened,

rmmasi
Jul 16, 2008, 03:04 AM
I need urgent help since yesterday afternoon my iPhone touch screen does not responding at all. However, I can receve calls but I can not do anything. I didn't drop my phone just started behaving like that from no where. I have tried all possible options, including turning off for the whole night, restarting using home buttom for sevaral times but all in vain.

I have even tried to restore using itunes but it was not helpful. What can I do else?

Could any one help me to get solution of this problem?
Raphael Mmasi

zengod
Jul 25, 2008, 02:16 PM
Last week following a sync with my iMac my iPhone 3G ended up stuck in the apple logo reset and all combinations of reset failed to get it going. O2 were as much use as a chocolate Teapot but I travelled 25 miles to an Apple "genius" who could'nt solve either and replaced it.

Today I had four apps that needed an update which I kicked off wirelessly but - yep once again the new phone did the same thing and became effectively "bricked". With the knowledge in this link I have managed to recover it but I now really suspect that there is a major bug in the apps store updates that Apple need to resolve urgently.

Anyone know how to turn off apps updates otherwise I'm going to remove them all rather than risk losing my phone access for a day again.:mad:

Scott6666
Jul 30, 2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks. Saved me as well.

The only difference I had from the instructions is that when I held down the home button and plugged in, nothing seemed to happen to wake up the phone. So I pushed the power button while continuing to be plugged in and the home button held and it then started and went into recover mode.

rysmtihaz
Jul 31, 2008, 01:38 AM
This happens to me every time I do an instal or update from my iPhone. You don't always have to plug it into your computer but it definitely takes much longer. It took me 10 hard resets and pushing the home button to get it to work.

iCAR
Aug 1, 2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys/gals,

leaving for a trip and saved me BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mavis
Aug 2, 2008, 03:33 AM
This happens to me every time I do an instal or update from my iPhone. You don't always have to plug it into your computer but it definitely takes much longer. It took me 10 hard resets and pushing the home button to get it to work.

Mine has frozen on the Apple logo boot screen 37 times since July 11th. I was able to finally get it to boot up four of those times. The other 33, I had to restore. I actually got my iPhone replaced last week, but the new one does the same thing (those numbers above are cumulative) ...

Here's what I've done by way of troubleshooting:

Reinstall iTunes (7.7)
Upgrade iTunes (7.7.1)
Unplug USB hub, connect iPhone directly to rear USB port on iMac
Delete all backups, set up as new phone (x25)
Restore using different PC (x2)
Get new iPhone
Delete 5A347 firmware, re-download fresh copy
Delete all apps from HDD, redownload through iTunes
Disable app sync in iTunes, install one by one directly on iPhone (x3)
Install apps one by one through iTunes only (no direct installs on iPhone)
Leave iPhone off overnight, attempt reboot in morning (x2)

But nothing seems to help. I can usually get all of my apps installed immediately following a restore, but if I try to add any more later that day or the next, it will freeze about 50% of the time. Any ideas?

CSM2000
Aug 3, 2008, 10:33 AM
I have had to restore numerous times and am now unwilling to update or make ANY purchase or download from the App store. Apparently, it's not the phone that is the problem so we're forced to wait around until Apple finally gets it right. It's new and it has BUGS............Fix it Apple!

CM

njchris
Aug 3, 2008, 11:44 AM
This happened to me last night. I had to force it into the restore mode finally.

Lost a bunch of pics I just took too. :(

Something is screwey with 2.0, and I hope they fix it soon!! :mad:

cliffrouse11bas
Aug 7, 2008, 11:49 AM
After mine has done this 3-4 times I finally am sending it back to apple. I am tired of spending 2-3 hours restoring and losing all my data because it says my backup file is corrupt.

mavis
Aug 7, 2008, 04:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

After mine has done this 3-4 times I finally am sending it back to apple. I am tired of spending 2-3 hours restoring and losing all my data because it says my backup file is corrupt.

While it might be nice to get a new phone, I wouldn't count on it solving your problem: I've had this freezing issue with TWO iPhone 3Gs and an iPod touch (that has worked perfectly for eight months - until the 2.0 update) ...

cliffrouse11bas
Aug 7, 2008, 07:17 PM
They lock us in a 2 year contract then make us spend limitless amount of time restoring these crappy phones.

PMart317
Aug 7, 2008, 08:03 PM
yeah apple better fix something because it's a pain to restore iPhone everday to use it. Who wants that. It has to be a certain app you download that is messing w the phone. When ever I try to install or update from app store it freezes and messes it up ! It's annoying. I updated a app and magically 2 of my old apps came on that I just deleted from my comp and phone came back on and then froze and now no apps will work besides the default! This is bad.

Foofur
Aug 8, 2008, 11:10 AM
I don't necessarily think it is the iPhone, but when I took mine to the Apple Store they replaced it. I'm headed again tonight as my second phone (just got it Tuesday) is now doing this. I'm thinking about leaving the majority of Apps off this time around to see if that was this issue.

RynoZebz
Aug 9, 2008, 08:16 AM
I had been doing updates to my 2 week old iPhone this way for a while with no problems. Tonight I am on the first night of my vacation and before bed I play a little Fire Words. The lady and I have been fighting for a better score and she was only 50 points behind me but the scores we had were only like 2500 or something like that. So last night something came over me and I destroyed that score and got something like 10,800! I was so excited but I didn't want to wake her up. I wanter her to discover it the next day. So before I turned in I saw I had 3 apps that needed updating. Updating... frozen... suck. Tried forced reboot. Kept getting the Apple Screen all night long. I just got internet access this morning so I could troubleshoot the problem. I remembered seeing this thread actually. And let me just say that it saddens me that I lost my high score (I should have pretty much everything else thanks to a back up the other night) but this could have been tragic.

I have a PC and a Mac laptop but am considering transferring the PC to a Mac desktop as well next year. I decided to sync the iphone with the Mac in hopes that it would work more seamlessly and such and it has. But thank God I had my laptop with me on my trip or else I would have been out of luck. I simply wouldn't of had a phone at all! This needs to get fixed. I need a phone. Not something I have to run for the computer every time it hiccups.

And yea.. I want my blasted score back too! lol

EDIT: Actually... I bought an EP off iTunes via WiFi on the phone I lost that. Anyway I can get it back? Also wanted to note that I had to start the phone as a new phone as well since it said the backup was corrupt. Rubbish.

mercury6966
Aug 9, 2008, 12:04 PM
I had been doing updates to my 2 week old iPhone this way for a while with no problems. Tonight I am on the first night of my vacation and before bed I play a little Fire Words. The lady and I have been fighting for a better score and she was only 50 points behind me but the scores we had were only like 2500 or something like that. So last night something came over me and I destroyed that score and got something like 10,800! I was so excited but I didn't want to wake her up. I wanter her to discover it the next day. So before I turned in I saw I had 3 apps that needed updating. Updating... frozen... suck. Tried forced reboot. Kept getting the Apple Screen all night long. I just got internet access this morning so I could troubleshoot the problem. I remembered seeing this thread actually. And let me just say that it saddens me that I lost my high score (I should have pretty much everything else thanks to a back up the other night) but this could have been tragic.

I have a PC and a Mac laptop but am considering transferring the PC to a Mac desktop as well next year. I decided to sync the iphone with the Mac in hopes that it would work more seamlessly and such and it has. But thank God I had my laptop with me on my trip or else I would have been out of luck. I simply wouldn't of had a phone at all! This needs to get fixed. I need a phone. Not something I have to run for the computer every time it hiccups.

And yea.. I want my blasted score back too! lol

EDIT: Actually... I bought an EP off iTunes via WiFi on the phone I lost that. Anyway I can get it back? Also wanted to note that I had to start the phone as a new phone as well since it said the backup was corrupt. Rubbish.

Yea you can get it back thats happened to me the 1st time this happened to me and im going to have to do it again cause it happened once more before i got a chance to transfer my 2 apps i bought. anyway go to itunes and look at your "pruchase history" and it will list all your apps yopu bought next to those there will be "report a problem" click it and tell them what happened how you never got to transfer it to your computer cause the phone crashed and you had to restore. they should email you ack saying that they credited that app to you account and will send you a link with it. they did that for me so try it. good luck how fully it won't happen again butlike i said it happend again to me so i don't count on it.

Dualrecto
Aug 9, 2008, 10:43 PM
I think it is most likely application updates that mess up the OS. I installed some updates today and during the installation the phone would get stuck on installing and eventually restart. After a long wait finally apps would install, and this would happen for all apps installed this not just updates. Then later today while trying to install an app it got caught in this home screen cycle. Luckily I found this thread.

I had iTunes 7.7.1 before I upgraded to 2.0.1 and while I followed the restore procedure in this thread it said my backup was corrupt and could not be used. So now I am sitting here waiting for my phone to sync all my data and apps.

I have only had the iPhone a few days and I have never had any smartphone crash as much as this. I really cannot afford for this to happen again. Apple needs to fix 2.0 quick.

mr.lava
Aug 10, 2008, 03:21 AM
This constant iPhone malfunctioning is getting REAL old REAL fast. I am experiencing my worst one so far with my iPhone being stuck with the Apple Logo after a resync and iTunes not being able to restore it and sometimes not even being able to recognize it and then not responding. I'm still trying to get it to restore but if I get that "iPhone could not be restored" crap message again then I'm exchanging it for sure...

Update: ****! It just won't work/restore/sync... ****.
Update 2: Tried restoring it from another computer with a different iTunes account and it worked! Yay, thank God!

Yasic
Aug 11, 2008, 08:05 AM
allright im getting really angry. I had to restore mine yesterday, after I was happy that everything worked again, then i installed 2 apps today without a problem, but the third one (GTS Racing) made it crash once again, so right now i'm restoring again. please stevie don't let that happen to my phone every freakin day.

Are there alternatives to restoring?

Dualrecto
Aug 11, 2008, 10:29 AM
This is unbelievable. I had to restore my iPhone two days ago, and all yesterday it worked fine. This morning I downloaded a couple apps and restarted the phone. It won't restart and is stuck on the Apple logo, AGAIN.

Part of the reason I purchased this phone was because I was expecting something that would work without issues.

I would also like to know if there are alternatives to restoring.

Dualrecto
Aug 11, 2008, 10:46 AM
Alright I may have found a solution to the reboot bug. Yasic if you haven't already restored try this out and let me know if it works for you.

If your phone will not start and is stuck on the apple logo hold down the power button and the home key until it shuts off. Then turn the phone back on and hold down the home button until it starts.

This just worked for me. It seems that just like force quitting an application, it is possible to force the phone out of whatever is stopping it from rebooting. I turned my phone off and on again just to make sure it would restart and it did with no problem. If this issue comes back for a third time I will post again.

It's hard to tell what the issue is, but it seems like it has something to do with the application installation process. How many apps do all of you have. Over four pages worth, or just a few? Let me know. Thanks.

RynoZebz
Aug 11, 2008, 09:56 PM
I just wanted to say that I had this happen to me again the very next evening. Man, I'm scared to sync the SOB! Anyone able to get a backup that isn't corrupted? It wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't have to keep adding in all my new information.

Dualrecto
Aug 11, 2008, 11:30 PM
I do not have proof that this is true but I believe that when the iPhone takes a long time to back up, the backup ends up being corrupted. The way I have found to fix this is to let it take it's time backig up, and then after it finishes unplug the phone and sync again. This second time the backup should only take a few minutes. I believe that doing this will give you and uncorrupted backup to use in a restore.

Yasic
Aug 12, 2008, 12:58 AM
Thanks Dualrecto for the tip.
I will try it out next time it crashes.
As for the backups, they were all fine over here. I was happy that I had an almost recent backup when I restored the phone. Sometimes it takes an hour to backup but yesterday it was done in 4 minutes

RynoZebz
Aug 12, 2008, 01:42 AM
Well... I was going to sync and hope for a great backup in case it crashed again. Before doing so I was moving all of my icons around (I had been trying to keep them organized) and just as I was wrapping up it locked up and rebooted to the eternal white apple logo. AGAIN. 3 times in 3 days. Amazing.

After an hour of trying to get it to boot (tried different things that others have mentioned) I'm going to recover it. Sad, sad, sad. I never had a crash before the last update. Now I'm getting them all the time. This really sucks. I was so excited to get my new iPhone. Now I almost want to just take the damn thing back and save myself the money I'll be spending per month on this and just get a regular, cheaper phone plan.

Yasic
Aug 12, 2008, 02:31 AM
Ok, as a test i downloaded an app, and it all worked without a problem. So I wanted to go back to the Appstore to get an update (because the red circle at the icon is annoying me) and i couldn't even open the store and it crashed.
BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS: I tried to reboot several times, didn't work, so I kept the home button down to force it to restore, but then I decided to go check some more websites and while reading I tried to reboot over and over again, and after I left it for 2 minutes I saw a movement on Itunes, the phone was working again, everyhing was as before the crash. I think someone had the same on page 1. Keep on trying to reboot guys if you don't want to restore all the time. Be patient....

mavis
Aug 12, 2008, 05:47 AM
Keep on trying to reboot guys if you don't want to restore all the time. Be patient....
This is good advice, but in some cases no amount of patience will do the trick - I've tried rebooting 50 times (I counted!) before, and on three occasions I even left the iPhone alone overnight to see if it would boot in the morning. It did, once. My point is, some freezes are recoverable, but many (most?) are not. I've got 40 restores under my belt here (34 on two iPhone 3Gs + 6 on an iPod touch) so I do have some experience with this. ;)

cjoshuav
Aug 12, 2008, 10:07 AM
I've had the same frustrations others here have described, so much so that I'm now an expert at putting my phone in recovery mode and restoring from a backup.

From what I can tell, the problem is always linked to the app store. To avoid it, I do the following when installing a new application:

- I have the phone connected to my computer with its USB cable
- I have iTunes running (Don't ask me why, but it seems to help)
- I turn off AutoLock
- I install the app directly to the phone through the AppStore link on the phone
- Once the application starts downloading I don't do ANYTHING else until the application is fully installed

Joshua

mavis
Aug 12, 2008, 10:19 AM
From what I can tell, the problem is always linked to the app store. To avoid it, I do the following when installing a new application:

- I have the phone connected to my computer with its USB cable
- I have iTunes running (Don't ask me why, but it seems to help)
- I turn off AutoLock
- I install the app directly to the phone through the AppStore link on the phone
- Once the application starts downloading I don't do ANYTHING else until the application is fully installed

That is definitely sound advice! Anything you can do to minimize the risk when installing apps is important. But, it doesn't always help. I've done everything on your list, plus the following, yet continue to have random, unrecoverable freezes when installing/updating apps:

Reinstall iTunes (7.7)
Upgrade iTunes (7.7.1)
Unplug USB hub, connect iPhone directly to rear USB port on iMac
Delete all backups, set up as new phone (x25)
Restore using different PC (x2)
Get new iPhone
Delete 5A347 firmware, re-download fresh copy
Delete all apps from HDD, re-download through iTunes
Disable app sync in iTunes, install one by one directly on iPhone (x3)
Install apps one by one through iTunes only (no direct installs on iPhone)
Leave iPhone off overnight, attempt reboot in morning (x3)

Limiting yourself to device-only or iTunes-only installs will prolong your stable periods (I've gotten up to a week's use out of my phone between restores!!) but this bug will eventually catch up to you. ;)

ballen420
Aug 12, 2008, 10:31 AM
Might want to add throwing the phone into Airplane Mode as another thing to try. I got a text message in the middle of a sync the other night that froze my phone.

I'm pushing 30+ restores between the 3G and original. I love the phone, but at this point I wish I never sold my 1G, as I'd go right back to that and 1.1.4 until all of this is resolved. So sick of waking up in the morning to an Apple logo on my phone and frantically rushing to restore it before heading into work.

aimfire
Aug 12, 2008, 11:28 PM
Same problem here... :(

For me, I noticed it started happening right after the iTunes 7.7.1 update. Never had a problem before that! Then the iPhone started crashing everytime I sync'ed with iTunes, but the crash was recoverable, just a matter of rebooting the iPhone.

Last night, all hell broke loose, phone crashed during a sync and I got stuck on the Apple logo, the same problem everyone else is having. I followed the tips in this thread to do a restore and that worked for me (thanks all!). But tonight, I just went to sync again, and another hard crash - retstoring the phone now... this is gonna be awhile. :(

I'm not sure what it is, but as others have mentioned, it definitely has something to do with apps not playing nicely with iTunes 7.7.1/iPhone 2.0.1 updates.... I seem to get the crashes more when *removing* apps from the phone via iTunes. I wasn't having any problems at all with 7.7/2.0

One thing I've noticed that seems to help is (when I was getting the small crashes before) to reboot the phone *before* a sync... Seems to clear out whatever bad stuff is floating around in memory or something.

But yeah... I hope there's a fix out soon from Apple... this is getting annoying. I love Apple, but they've been getting into a bad habit of dropping the ball on so many things lately.

chaoses
Aug 13, 2008, 10:23 PM
I have a different problem. When I turned off my phone (3g) it asked me to slide the red bar and I did. There's a circle spinning forever until it drains out of battery. I couldn't do anything. Anyone experienced this problem?

somnambulysteri
Aug 14, 2008, 11:48 AM
So I was updating an app as I was walking out the door this morning and my phone froze on the apple screen. Tried restarting it several times and no luck...I just keep seeing that danged apple leering at me from the start-up screen.

I'm at work and can't restore using iTunes so I'm curious about a couple of you that seemed to have some luck getting it running again without plugging it in to a computer (because it's seriously going to be a pain if I don't have a phone all day).

If your phone will not start and is stuck on the apple logo hold down the power button and the home key until it shuts off. Then turn the phone back on and hold down the home button until it starts.

Don't mean to sound dense here but are you saying that once you restart it, you hold down the home button as soon as you see the Apple or do you hold down the home button while you're turning it back on? And do you keep holding it down for 30 seconds or so or do you give up if nothing happens after 10 or 15 and try again? I've tried several different combinations so far and am beginning to resign myself to not having a phone until I get home. :mad:

odp1979
Aug 14, 2008, 12:55 PM
Had the same problem, restored my old iphone 4 times, went ahead and got a replacement. Went home, synced, and it was done. I am not restoring the NEW iphone. This is just crazy!

cliffrouse11bas
Aug 16, 2008, 03:13 PM
I hate my iPhone. I have owned one since day one now it keeps freezing every time I get away from home. I am on a trip to Atlanta and was getting excited about actually being able to use 3g now my iPhone is frozen and I have to use my wifes old 4gb iPhone. This is my second iPhone 3g and I am getting to the point that I want to carry it back it by a flippin razr.

ElkBall2010
Aug 16, 2008, 03:24 PM
I had the exact same problem. I got my iPhone yesterday. On the way home from AT&T it was working, then when I got home, the problem started. I was putting in a contact and it froze and then the screen faded out. I tried turning it back on and it wouldnt so I plugged it in to charge. I tried turning it on and it got to the Apple logo and then the screen just faded out.

I had to send it back in and now I have to wait for a week to ten days just to get a new one. That is outrageous.

RynoZebz
Aug 19, 2008, 03:01 AM
Well... the new iPhone update didn't fix this. I just tried to install an update for an app via the store on the phone and it crashed to the Apple logo of death. Restoring now. Worked pretty well for about a week tho. Tho if you use apps intensively I think you're more likely to get this crash.

cliffrouse11bas
Aug 19, 2008, 08:58 AM
If mine freezes up again. I am going to attempt to walk into ATT and tell them they can have it. I will buy a go phone. I am tired of paying $200+ a month for a phone that leaves me without a phone all day or better yet all weekend. It is like I need to carry my laptop with me everywhere in case it freezes up.

njchris
Aug 19, 2008, 09:40 AM
Well... the new iPhone update didn't fix this. I just tried to install an update for an app via the store on the phone and it crashed to the Apple logo of death. Restoring now. Worked pretty well for about a week tho. Tho if you use apps intensively I think you're more likely to get this crash.

This has happened to me twice this past month. I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and will not have a laptop with me. I guess I will make sure I don't d/l or update apps while I'm away, but I'm still nervous I could be without a phone if it happens.

Richiyaado
Aug 20, 2008, 03:45 PM
I've had an (original) iPhone since last April... haven't had any problems until now, when I was downloading an app via iTunes. Thanks to this thread, I found and followed the recommended procedure and am presently restoring from my most recent backup... whew!

chaoses
Aug 23, 2008, 05:25 PM
I couldn't touch the screen or turn off or do whatever. The screen just stuck there. When I hit the power key to turn off, it doesn't let me slide the bar (like whatever I touch won't work). :mad: what should I do?

SFC Archer
Aug 23, 2008, 05:29 PM
I couldn't touch the screen or turn off or do whatever. The screen just stuck there. When I hit the power key to turn off, it doesn't let me slide the bar (like whatever I touch won't work). :mad: what should I do?

Try my step by step instructions at this link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=549611

Press and hold each button by itself for upto 60 seconds to see if shuts off, if not then hold both together for up to 60 seconds...unitl u see black screen then release and follow my instructions in link.

Good Luck

Inkygirl
Aug 26, 2008, 11:30 AM
My iPhone froze during an App update and, like so many others who have posted, I was unable to get it fully rebooted -- it kept freezing on the silver apple restart screen.

I finally found this thread (through a Google search) and tried the "hard reset / press home and connect to iTunes" method. I'm now restoring from my backup.

Thanks so much for your help!

Debbie

Yea i had the same problem. What you need to do is put the phone in recovery mode. to do this do the following:

1. Do a hard reset on the phone, hold the sleep/wake button + the home button until it turns off then release before it turns back on.

3. HOLD the home button on the iPhone, while holding it, connect the iPhone onto the dock and CONTINUE to hold the home button until the CONNECT TO ITUNES DISPLAY APPEARS.

4. iTunes will recognize this and ask if you would like to restore it. Click restore. Then choose to restore from BACKUP! This will take a few minutes. It will fix the problem. Your iPhone will be up and running as normal and all your contacts, sms, bookmarks, settings, etc. will be intact. The only thing that will be erased is the music. But you can easily add that all back right.

phpjeff
Aug 28, 2008, 10:23 AM
After the 5th time of this happening to me, and the first time it actually happened while installing an app from iTunes, I posted to Apples forums. I guess my personal comments about how ridiculous this was getting considering the two to three hour process it is to get everything back up and running, gave them a reason to pull my posting. (maybe they didn't like my comment about never have any kind of issue like this when using the jail break software installer on my old iPhone.)

Regardless, I have now had to do full restores 4 more times and twice in the past two days.

I have been very careful to not interupt the installer--both iTunes and the App Store. I have tried all the tricks about trashing the backups and then restoring as a new phone - which is generally what I do anyway. I have tried restoring and then installing the apps one at a time. Regardless, there is an obvious issue with the install process.

Still love my iPhone, but I really hope this get fixed soon.

duchessmel
Aug 28, 2008, 11:04 AM
I have experienced the same problems that have been mentioned here. I got a 3G from Apple as a replacement to my 1st generation iPhone I had to send it multiple times. I had the 3G for 2 weeks....updated to 2.0.1 and then the phone became junk. It kept freezing on the apple logo and if I have so many apps on there it will start running slow and when I do a hard reset or turn it off and back on none of the apps I installed will work and my ipod area will say I have no music on it.

I contacted apple and they sent me a new 3G....it does the same thing. Between the two 3G's I've probably restored them like 50 times. It gets REALLY old. I contacted Apple and one guy tried to troubleshoot and was relatively helpful. Another one, however, told me that maybe I shouldn't put any apps on it...to which I told him that they shouldn't be touting a phone that runs apps then. So I have about 40 on my now and it's running fine, but if I try to put more it crashes. I wish they would get an update to fix this...as I mentioned....it didn't do this until I upgraded to 2.01. Also, when I updated to 2.0.2 it doesn't help my reception any....I still can't get 3G reception hardly at all and I am in a 3G area.

I told Apple I'm about to send this phone back, demand a refund, and get something else. This phone is more trouble than it's worth!!

Anteus1
Aug 28, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hi there!

I'm joigning that wonderful community of owners of iBrick.

I think I've gone through about 10 restores, every time I would have to "setup a new iPhone".

I think overall, with the installation of all 3rd party apps and the music, it's about 3h each restore.

Not only do I have that crappy bug of having the iBrick stucked on the Apple logo, but when I resync it, the music keeps showing me an error. An no way it's because of a particular song, because if I replug the iPhone, it will sync more, then comes the error, then I replug, more music goes in, then the error, etc. And at the end, all the music is in. Weird.

But anyway, I've tried the "Hold Home Button while restarting", sounded like a message from heaven to me, but no luck. Still on that damn "Apple Logo Of Death" :mad:
I'm now sure I will have to spend 3 more hours for restore this evening. Thanks Apple. I've spent over $150 on Apps, which is about $50 for them, and all they can suggest is: Don't use what you bought. They must be kidding.

That was the top feature of their 2.0 software. Actually, I've always ran away from the jailbreak stuff, but it seems like it won't crash as much. So now I'm really thinking about it.

jwang1228
Aug 28, 2008, 04:55 PM
I restarted my phone, a refurbished on issued to me about 3 weeks ago after my first one had call drop problems, and I got the stupid apple screen. I read this thread and tried to restore and it failed. I took it to the apple store and they couldnt restore it either, and was told I had to make an appointment. The worst customer service line was added in "If they replaced your phone, chances are they wont be giving you another." I was already infuriated at the fact they couldnt help me, for I have taken the 50 min drive down there 3-4 times already for their ****** product. I had to pay $40 at cingular to buy a crappy oldschool nokia so I have an operating phone. If they dont fix the problem tomorrow, or refuse to replace my phone, I'm chucking my iphone in the store, making sure it shatters all over the place.

maxwelldemon
Aug 28, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hey, I wish I found this thread before I called customer service. My 3G has experienced this phenomenon a few times, although yesterday was the first occurrence that couldn't be fixed by docking with my home iMac.

I concur that turning off the phone, holding down the home button, plugging in the USB cable, and continuing to hold "home" until the screen changes away from the logo is the solution. Also, the problem seems to strike when I update apps using the phone, so I may only update via iTunes now.

What's disconcerting is that Apple's website doesn't recognize this as an issue worthy of FAQ advice. The customer service people were nice enough, but they ultimately recommended exchanging the phone. (They had also advocated reinstallation of iTunes, which was not the solution here). As I say, me and my weak troubleshooting skills were able to solve a problem the pros could not.

My question now: how confident are we that Apple reads this site? If they aren't intimately acquainted with this issue, they can't address it in the next software fix.

z3rider
Aug 29, 2008, 08:46 PM
Here are highlight of my experiance with this issue:

My problem started when I tried to upgrade Ambiance using WIFI. But on that same day, I upgraded other apps using WIFI with no problem. Ambiance was the last app I was trying to upgrade.
The Ambiance upgrade never finished and was stuck for almost an hour. So I pressed both home and sleep buttons to shut it down. When I tried to turn it on again it just got stuck on the logo screen.
My first time restoring it (using same procedures mentioned earlier in this thread) was actually quite smooth and it restored everything in about 1 hour.
Not knowing why I got into this problem, on the next day I tried to upgrade Ambiance again; but through itune this time. Still got stuck and logo screen...
Then, after going through the whole restore exercise, I thought I'll be fine if I don't try to upgrade Ambiance again.
Then the crazy long backup problem surfaced. Didn't really know how long it took... cause I fell asleep...
Then another backup not only took a long time but actually got me stuck with the logo at the end (again didn't know how long to get there as I fell asleep again).
Right now my phone is fully restored, but not before I deleted Ambiance in everywhere I found it.

Here is my big question. Should I try to install any new apps? Or should I wait until Apple come up with a fix.

BTW, still love my iPhone... when it's working ;)

ericjin
Aug 29, 2008, 11:28 PM
I went to the genius bar today and after complaining about how the app store is causing my freezing on start up, the genius said that it's a known bug and theyre working on the fix.

needless to say we all know or expect apple to come with a fix, but what gets me so mad is that apple is treating it like a minor bug, when this should be treated as a major issue. it's complete bull that apple is advertising the app store as one of the top features, but users like me cant even use it without worrying that it'll brick the phone.

cheers apple, you really know how to screw people over.

duchessmel
Aug 30, 2008, 10:45 AM
Here's an observation I've made in regards to my phone crashing and occassionally sticking on the apple logo. It seems that if I have around 40 or so, or less, apps then the phone is ok....this includes a couple of video podcasts, about 800 songs, and photos. However, when I try and add over 40apps then the phone starts lagging and upon restart it either sticks at the apple logo or none of the 3rd party apps work and it won't show my music or videos.

As I mentioned before...I did not have this problem until I upgraded to 2.0.1 - when I had 2.0 I had about 80 apps on my phone and they all worked great.

Anyone else notice the same thing?

iphonedependent
Aug 30, 2008, 11:28 PM
i had the same problem..my sleep/power button is now pulled down coz of the problem...
i was doing it wrong...
i read carefully ur instructions guyz..
and it worked!!
THANKS!!!
now my new problem is my home button(dont response right away) and power button(pulled down already)..

mavis
Aug 31, 2008, 12:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

It's very easy to fix, IF you have OpenSSH installed. Do you?

chrisfNET
Aug 31, 2008, 02:24 PM
I just attempted to do the 2.0.2 update and now I'm completely screwed.

The 2.0.2 update began, put my phone into whatever mode it needs to upgrade.. and then iTunes refused to recognize it. Now it's stuck on the USB -> iTunes screen.

No matter how I disconnect/reconnect.. and regardless of the methods listed in this thread - the phone won't go past the USB -> iTunes screen and iTunes won't recognize the phone to do a recovery.

Help? :confused::confused::confused:

Excellerator
Aug 31, 2008, 02:32 PM
I just attempted to do the 2.0.2 update and now I'm completely screwed.

The 2.0.2 update began, put my phone into whatever mode it needs to upgrade.. and then iTunes refused to recognize it. Now it's stuck on the USB -> iTunes screen.

No matter how I disconnect/reconnect.. and regardless of the methods listed in this thread - the phone won't go past the USB -> iTunes screen and iTunes won't recognize the phone to do a recovery.

Help? :confused::confused::confused:

Try a different USB port. I know it sounds weird but that worked for me when someone suggested it.

chrisfNET
Aug 31, 2008, 02:41 PM
Try a different USB port. I know it sounds weird but that worked for me when someone suggested it.

Just tried that, didn't make a difference.

chrisfNET
Aug 31, 2008, 06:57 PM
After about 30 minutes of unplugging/plugging, holding the Home button.. restarting and... I'm not sure what else - iTunes recognized it, upgraded it, restored it from a backup and I'm good to go again.

Mykbibby
Aug 31, 2008, 07:07 PM
This issue has been plaguing me for some time now. In fact, it has forced me to restore the phone 21 times. I emailed Steve Jobs himself about the issue, and he gave me an answer. I posted it here. (http://www.macsoda.com)

mavis
Aug 31, 2008, 07:33 PM
This issue has been plaguing me for some time now. In fact, it has forced me to restore the phone 21 times. I emailed Steve Jobs himself about the issue, and he gave me an answer. I posted it here. (http://www.macsoda.com)

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but he told me the exact same thing about the 2.0.2 update when I wrote him about this problem on August 15th (I posted it here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=544584)) ... In retrospect, it's obvious he was just blowing hot air up my ***.

Not that it particularly matters. I have since found the cause of this problem, as well as the solution. You can read about it here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6143890). ;)

Mykbibby
Aug 31, 2008, 07:39 PM
"There should be an update this month that may clear up your problems"

I think they couldn't get it for that update, but now he sounds more confident.

mavis
Aug 31, 2008, 07:46 PM
"There should be an update this month that may clear up your problems"

I think they couldn't get it for that update, but now he sounds more confident.
Well, that makes two updates they haven't been able to get it into, when it SHOULD be a very simple fix - just bump the watchdog time from two minute intervals to three minute. Voila! A temporary fix that will work perfectly until they have time to actually rewrite Springboard. :confused:

imac abuser
Aug 31, 2008, 10:49 PM
My iPhone was working just great, and tonight i deleted hanoi from the phone and then it crapped on me couldn't get it till i did the above mentioned home key while placing in the dock but this is bs why am I going to have to waste a friggin hour or better because i deleted one app from the phone

noisebleed
Aug 31, 2008, 11:00 PM
Hi there,

I was almost desperate about that issue. I was looking for someone to take my iPhone to an Apple Store in US, when I found this post in YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2foiTBSn3k). Spacemonks' comment saved my day! :):D:):D

2) Open iTunes;
3) Hold home button and plug the phone to your computer. The phone will turn on and the iTunes + Arrow + cable screen will appear.;

man my phone was stuck, even went to low battery, told me to recharge, then it went back to being stuck, however this post helped me...

man restoring is lame...

aearmir
Sep 1, 2008, 01:36 AM
Hey!
Ok. So, the same thing is happening to me, I downloaded stuff from Cydia and had my phone freeze at the apple logo screen... except my screen shows a pineapple because its hacked.

I can't just restore and update it because it will get bricked.

Ive tried rebooting it many times, and holding down the home button when I turn it on and everything. I really dont want to go and have to downgrade, restore, upgrade and jailbreak all over again, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to get it off the logo screen, please post them!

thanks to all for their previous suggestions, I tried them all...

Oh, and every time I get it into recovery mode, I get the Steve Jobs Russian cartoon... hehe

mavis
Sep 1, 2008, 02:01 AM
Hey!
Ok. So, the same thing is happening to me, I downloaded stuff from Cydia and had my phone freeze at the apple logo screen... except my screen shows a pineapple because its hacked.

I can't just restore and update it because it will get bricked.

Ive tried rebooting it many times, and holding down the home button when I turn it on and everything. I really dont want to go and have to downgrade, restore, upgrade and jailbreak all over again, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to get it off the logo screen, please post them!

thanks to all for their previous suggestions, I tried them all...

Oh, and every time I get it into recovery mode, I get the Steve Jobs Russian cartoon... hehe
You can VERY easily recover from an ALoD provided you have OpenSSH installed. You do, don't you? ;)

So, how to recover from being stuck at the apple logo without doing a full restore wiping everything ? If you have openssh installed so you can log in remotely you can fix it quite easily, as you get nearly 2 minutes of ssh access during the apple logo before the system freezes where you can log in for "emergency surgery".

If you don't have OpenSSH already installed then sorry, it's restore time...

As the device is trying to boot up but still at the apple logo, try to log in as root using ssh. You should find you are able to log in soon after the device is pingable on your wifi network, and you have a few minutes to complete the following steps in time.

For example from a mac, log in with:

ssh -l root 192.168.1.103

Where your iphone/ipods own ip address is substituted.

First we will disable the watchdog timer (by temporarily moving its files elsewhere) and then reboot:

mv /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/mobilewatchdog.bundle/ /
reboot

After a few seconds the device will start to reboot, and after approximately 3-6 minutes (depending on how many apps you have installed) you will reach the lock screen as normal, when that happens we now have to re-enable the watchdog timer, and reboot again, so again log in with ssh, and type:

mv /mobilewatchdog.bundle /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/
reboot

You should find your iphone / ipod touch will reboot normally a second time.

jwang1228
Sep 1, 2008, 10:46 PM
After my first encounter last week of not being able to boot up, then unable to restore, it took 2 trips to the apple store which is a 50 min drive for me. First day no appointment, they tried to restore but it failed and told me to come back tomorrow. I had to buy a $40 old school nokia to have phone service.....Then when i went back the next day, he restored it in 5 min, citing the problem was probably itunes unable to connect to the update server. What a waste of gas. Now less then a week later I encounter the same issue! WTF. I installed NOTHING after the restore. Just basic music and my contacts.

ANYONE have any suggestions? Im going to apple store yet again tomorrow...but I cant deal with keep on having to restore on every phone reboot....

diesel
Sep 1, 2008, 10:52 PM
After my first encounter last week of not being able to boot up, then unable to restore, it took 2 trips to the apple store which is a 50 min drive for me. First day no appointment, they tried to restore but it failed and told me to come back tomorrow. I had to buy a $40 old school nokia to have phone service.....Then when i went back the next day, he restored it in 5 min, citing the problem was probably itunes unable to connect to the update server. What a waste of gas. Now less then a week later I encounter the same issue! WTF. I installed NOTHING after the restore. Just basic music and my contacts.

ANYONE have any suggestions? Im going to apple store yet again tomorrow...but I cant deal with keep on having to restore on every phone reboot....

hey give my last post a try, posted it in the "F!#k........." thread............

there are some reports of getting into your device without restoring. won't fix the problem of why you get the ASOD, but might save you from restoring. good luck

mavis
Sep 1, 2008, 10:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I've posted the solution several times. You need to jailbreak, and install OpenSSH. If you have OpenSSH installed you can recover from an ALoD in about five minutes.

If you're unwilling to jailbreak, and can't wait for Apple to fix the problem, I'd suggest taking your phone to the Apple Store every time it happens, and demanding a replacement. Maybe once they're swimming in perfectly fine returned iPhones they'll get around to correcting this ridiculous flaw.

dashboarddax
Sep 2, 2008, 04:35 PM
i have a 1st gen iphone 8gb and i have always hacked it. once 2.0 came out and hacking was going on i was excited and i hacked it with pwnage but it kept freezing on the reboot logo and pissing me off. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING FOREVER. When it would freeze, i had almost all of my 8gb of memory used up with music, cydia applications, itunes applications, movies. BUT this time i only put about 4 or 5gb worth of stuff on it and it never gets stuck in the reboot cycle never messes up. I LOVE IT. SO i say just put about half of what your used to putting on it and see if that helps. let me know if if does.

Patrick

MATTHEWLONG
Sep 2, 2008, 04:54 PM
I found mine stuck because I had jailbroken 2.0.1 and then updated to 2.0.2 and restored everything seemed fine. I then jail broke 2.0.2, sticking all the time. I decided to do a clean restall of 2.0.2 and not restore. Jail broke and now it doesnt stick.

mavis
Sep 2, 2008, 05:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

i have a 1st gen iphone 8gb and i have always hacked it. once 2.0 came out and hacking was going on i was excited and i hacked it with pwnage but it kept freezing on the reboot logo and pissing me off. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING FOREVER. When it would freeze, i had almost all of my 8gb of memory used up with music, cydia applications, itunes applications, movies. BUT this time i only put about 4 or 5gb worth of stuff on it and it never gets stuck in the reboot cycle never messes up. I LOVE IT. SO i say just put about half of what your used to putting on it and see if that helps. let me know if if does.

Patrick

You've been lucky; available space has nothing to do with this problem. See my earlier post.

mavis
Sep 2, 2008, 05:25 PM

[edit] NM this post.

You know, it would frakin' FANTASTIC if the mobile version of MacRumors remembered sort=DESC!! :mad:

jwang1228
Sep 2, 2008, 05:32 PM
Har har the mac genius was too lazy to even plug in my phone for a diagnostic and replaced it (cited it was flash memory problem...isn't iphone harddrive??.....)

My question is, is firmware 2.0.1 the root of all causes? Should i just leave my pre-2.0 firmware on the phone to keep it fresh?

Anteus1
Sep 3, 2008, 07:51 AM

Patrick

Mine got stucked with even as little as 2Gb filled on my 8Gb. So it doesn't seem to be the solution.

Anyway, I paid $400 for this device, and ending up with only half it's memory usable in order to not have it bricking would definitely piss me off... :(

RynoZebz
Sep 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
Maybe we're all learning to live with our problems because this thread has been pretty quiet lately. I am tired tho. Sometimes it goes a week or two just fine. But as soon as I actually start updating/using the phone everything goes to hell. I did an update yesterday that nuked my phone to the apple screen of death. I've since restored 4 times as each time at the end of my update or after trying to back up or whatever it has crashed on me again. I'm starting to think maybe it is my phone. I'm going to take it to the Apple Store today. I can't take this crap anymore. Supposedly this is all software. I'm not sure that's the case.... I'd think this thread would be larger/noisier if everyone were dealing with this.

mavis
Sep 7, 2008, 05:00 PM

Maybe we're all learning to live with our problems because this thread has been pretty quiet lately. I am tired tho. Sometimes it goes a week or two just fine. But as soon as I actually start updating/using the phone everything goes to hell. I did an update yesterday that nuked my phone to the apple screen of death. I've since restored 4 times as each time at the end of my update or after trying to back up or whatever it has crashed on me again. I'm starting to think maybe it is my phone. I'm going to take it to the Apple Store today. I can't take this crap anymore. Supposedly this is all software. I'm not sure that's the case.... I'd think this thread would be larger/noisier if everyone were dealing with this.

I don't think it's the hardware, and here's why: my iPod touch, which has worked PERFECTLY since 1.1.1, also has the ALoD problem. It first happened a day or two after upgrading to 2.0 ... ;)

Also, I've gone through two iPhones so far, both of which have had this problem. And I have been able to recover -100%, with no data loss - by temporarily disabling the watchdog process.

So, yeah - it's a sofware problem, not hardware. That said, I would encourage you to return your phone if you have time. Since Apple doesn't seem to mind wasting our time with unnecessary restores caused by their faulty software, I think it's only fitting that we waste THEIR time returning phones that are actually not defective (but appear to be) ... The more, the merrier! ;)

RynoZebz
Sep 8, 2008, 12:10 AM
Yea, I know it's most likely a software issue but I figured I'd had enough. I need to do something. lol So I went up to the Apple store today and they guy at the genius bar acted like I was telling him of some foreign iPhone disease he had never heard of. Sometimes I think I know more about Apple's products then these fools. He didn't test me phone or anything. He just said that it was probably just something that they needed to work out with the software. But he said just in case something is messed up with the hardware they'd give me a new phone. And that they did. I'm loading all my crap on it as we speak and yea... I'm fairly certain my issues aren't going to be resolved until an appropriate software fix arrives (hopefully Tuesday when the new iPods are announced).

Hopefully if we keep returning them Apple will be forced to do something about it. It just sucks that this thing has been so buggy from the get go. And none of the major blogs seem to be discussing it. Gizmodo posts more on the damn copy and paste feature then they do with the Apple logo screen of death! It's pretty frustrating....

PS: How do you disable the "watchdog process"? EDIT: After some Google-Fu I saw that this is for people with jailbroken iPhones...

EDIT: So halfway through loading all my apps it locked up. Eternal reboot. Back and square one. HORRIBLE. lol

rustedshut
Sep 11, 2008, 05:09 PM
Suck my white ass phone!

I deleted some apps and everything was cool. Went into Settings and nothing but the grey background loaded. I held down home to close it. Open it up again, same ****. I held down power and home button to force it to shut down. Then, the Apple logo of doom never went away. I'm going to have to restore it. The phone will show up in iTunes if it's in restore mode- thanks to the advice in this thread. Problem is that I purchased some apps directly to the phone and never got a chance to transfer them to my Mac.

To those who purchased apps directly to the phone, had to restore the phone and lost the apps...
When iTunes emails you a receipt. There's a link under the item that says, "Report a Problem." This will direct you to iTunes> iTunes store receipt. There you can submit a problem with that purchase. They let me redownload an app a few months ago for the same type of situation. Hopefully, they allow me to do that again with the two apps I purchased yesterday before my phone crashed today.

mavis
Sep 11, 2008, 07:33 PM

Suck my white ass phone!

I deleted some apps and everything was cool. Went into Settings and nothing but the grey background loaded. I held down home to close it. Open it up again, same ****. I held down power and home button to force it to shut down. Then, the Apple logo of doom never went away. I'm going to have to restore it. The phone will show up in iTunes if it's in restore mode- thanks to the advice in this thread. Problem is that I purchased some apps directly to the phone and never got a chance to transfer them to my Mac.

To those who purchased apps directly to the phone, had to restore the phone and lost the apps...
When iTunes emails you a receipt. There's a link under the item that says, "Report a Problem." This will direct you to iTunes> iTunes store receipt. There you can submit a problem with that purchase. They let me redownload an app a few months ago for the same type of situation. Hopefully, they allow me to do that again with the two apps I purchased yesterday before my phone crashed today.

You know, you can re-download an app at any time - you don't have to report it. ;)

chaoses
Sep 11, 2008, 07:56 PM
I restored my 3g and I did not lose the apps since it's backed up in itunes

grass
Sep 27, 2008, 03:01 PM

I've posted the solution several times. You need to jailbreak, and install OpenSSH. If you have OpenSSH installed you can recover from an ALoD in about five minutes.

If you're unwilling to jailbreak, and can't wait for Apple to fix the problem, I'd suggest taking your phone to the Apple Store every time it happens, and demanding a replacement. Maybe once they're swimming in perfectly fine returned iPhones they'll get around to correcting this ridiculous flaw.

hey , I know I'm new here but the watchdog thing doesn't work for me...
I ssh'ed with Winscp and did everything but when my ipodtouch was supposed to reboot and show the lockscreen, it didn't...
wtf? :D help

neesh0
Sep 27, 2008, 03:32 PM
DFU mode + restore might help

grass
Sep 27, 2008, 03:36 PM
DFU mode + restore might help

I'm quite sure that might do the trick, the only 'little' detail might be the fact, that my pc has crashed several weeks ago and I haven't got the time to fix it...
so no music for me :( and in that way, no DFU + restore for me...

grass
Sep 28, 2008, 10:31 AM
I'm quite sure that might do the trick, the only 'little' detail might be the fact, that my pc has crashed several weeks ago and I haven't got the time to fix it...
so no music for me :( and in that way, no DFU + restore for me...

OKay, guys...
I found the solution, so for any other people messing around with the watchdog thingy, and if it still won't work after the process described above,
then SSH in your iPod touch and look for MobileInstallation, install a default file, google it for the right firmware .

ciao

lxnana
Oct 19, 2008, 05:54 AM
Frankly i have no idea what is going on. I downloaded stuff from cydia and then charged it fully the night before yesterday, yesterday my iphone (4GB version 2.1) worked fine but it ran out of battery the same day. i tried to charge it yesterday night and it got stuck on the apple logo. i unplugged it and went to bed. today i tried to charge it again and the same thing happened. it has been in this state for more than 5 hours.
its driving me crazy.
i want to know the fastest way to save my phone. (not restore then jailbreak etc.)

chaoses
Oct 31, 2008, 07:20 AM
I jailbroke my 3g using 2.0.1. Now it got stuck at the boot up screen with the pineapple logo :mad:I can turn it off and on but its still stuck at that screen. What should I do? restore?

chaoses
Nov 1, 2008, 12:19 AM
I followed the instructions to restore. I was able to restore it. However, the phone is back to factory condition eventhough I was able to choose the date to restore it to. Music, photo, are all in itunes but contacts are not. How can I restore the contacts and applications too?

newkid2020
Nov 18, 2008, 10:40 AM
You can VERY easily recover from an ALoD provided you have OpenSSH installed. You do, don't you? ;)

DUDE THANK YOU!!! Last time this happenned I waited like 3 hours and it worked again but this time I had left it over night, which means 15 + hours and it still wasn't working, I did your thing and it works perfectly fine and I haven't lost anything....

I even actually just made myself an account just to thank you...god I'm so happy now, thanks again dude!

caterinai
Jan 4, 2009, 08:33 AM
My iphone doesnt allow me to see my home screen
I have already reset it but it only allows emergency calls and it shows the itunes logo and a cable on the screen, insinuating that I have to connect it to itunes, but it doesnt open the page when I use the cable.
Im really worried.I have searched a lot and I havent find the answer.
Please help me -

sakeri
Jan 9, 2009, 10:21 AM
hi all, just to share my side of the topic. i upgraded my 2g iphone to 2.2 more or less a month ago. everything worked awesome and i was so happy until couple of weeks ago where the same problem started.

my iphone keeps crashing and i've done countless restore (with different pc as well). the problem keeps recurring and i've notice that whenever i insert the sim card it will stuck at the apple logo and after a few hard reset the itunes logo and cable will appear.

however if i remove the sim card, i'm able to access the phone but it still crashes.

anyone can help me? is this problem the same with others? i hope it is not hardware as the iphone is still not official in my country and not supported for services :(

sakeri
Jan 10, 2009, 10:28 AM
an update to my problem. i managed to downgrade my firmware to 2.1..yet the crashes still occur :confused: i'm beginning to think that it's hardware. man, what a waste o money :(

rcfa
Jan 19, 2009, 03:11 AM
So, how to recover from being stuck at the apple logo without doing a full restore wiping everything ? If you have openssh installed so you can log in remotely you can fix it quite easily, as you get nearly 2 minutes of ssh access during the apple logo before the system freezes where you can log in for "emergency surgery".

If you don't have OpenSSH already installed then sorry, it's restore time...

As the device is trying to boot up but still at the apple logo, try to log in as root using ssh. You should find you are able to log in soon after the device is pingable on your wifi network, and you have a few minutes to complete the following steps in time.

For example from a mac, log in with:

ssh -l root 192.168.1.103

Where your iphone/ipods own ip address is substituted.

First we will disable the watchdog timer (by temporarily moving its files elsewhere) and then reboot:

mv /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/mobilewatchdog.bundle/ /
reboot

After a few seconds the device will start to reboot, and after approximately 3-6 minutes (depending on how many apps you have installed) you will reach the lock screen as normal, when that happens we now have to re-enable the watchdog timer, and reboot again, so again log in with ssh, and type:

mv /mobilewatchdog.bundle /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/
reboot

You should find your iphone / ipod touch will reboot normally a second time.

Very nice. It almost works. I get the phone to boot this way, but upon the second reboot, it's back to cycling. In other words, it seems that whatever is going on triggers the watchdog timer, even during a normal reboot.

So the question is: can that timer somehow increased, such as to time out later?

Irresistible
Feb 3, 2009, 06:56 PM
:confused:

Hi There.

First greetings from Switzerland..

I Stuck at the same situation ... My Ipod 1 Gen 32GB reboot and reboot and reboot... no Home Screen wont come up..

Heres the last thing i do before it crashed to "Dead"...

Installing in Cydia Updates ... then go to Home Screen start installer install the new installer (Update).. and (maybe the fatal one i do): Replacing MobileSubstrate with a "Pseudo Substrate version" i Found in installer..

Go back to Home screen want start cydia again. but only highlight the icon and then go back to home screen, same appears to every app i try to start..

I found this Howto to temporarly desable watchdog to give springboard enought time to rebuild the installed app cache:

http://blog.zydev.info/2008/08/30/fix-for-the-never-ending-apple-logo-during-iphone-boot-problem/

I just try this workout at this time.. in the crash log it will show as a WDT Timeout that is the Watchdog Timeout...

So workaround is done but it still restarts after a timeout window..

:eek::eek: i temporarly disabled Watchdog and im deleted the APP Cache file to force Springboard rebuild it. but it still starts over and over.. im totaly weird now... :eek::eek:

i really dont know what i have to do now ..

Does anyone have a idea how i can replace the Orginal Mobile Substrate back and remove the "Pseudo Substrate" ??

On the info it says "A faster and cleaner implementation of mobile substrate API using mobile enhancer. It also says its made by saurik.

i can get FULL SSH acces to my Ipod Touch in this timeframe over Via Iphonebrowser via USB. does anyone have a idead i can provide all information you needed as crash log's or so..

Kind regards From Switzerland. Marco.

Last Update: when i try to start Springboard via SSH i get this Error:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3604/springboardgb0.th.png (http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=springboardgb0.png)

but i found them in a different Folder /private/var/mobile/tweak_backup so i put them back to the folder above (/System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework) but the file UIkit is 4'662'240 in size is them the right one ?

it's still restarts over and over but i dont have anyomre Kernel Panic's in log...

Anyone have a idea... ?
Greets from Switzerland..

P.S MSN: Irresistible_1972@hotmail.com

method77
Feb 13, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hello, just registered to post this...

after trying every solution I could find on google, I could not solve the problem so I decided to try some solutions of my own. I plugged the phone, pressed the home button (after plugging the device) and restarted the 'apple mobile device' service WHILE holding the home button. A few seconds later, itunes recognised it and I started the restore process :rolleyes:

Hope this helps

relius
Mar 5, 2009, 10:56 PM
Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

Your reply saved the day. I humongous and most sincere THANK YOU! :)

countryguitar
Mar 13, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hey guys, thanks a bunch for the help. My ipod touch is also stuck on the logo screen and I finally got itunes to start restoring it because it was supposedly in recovery mode (?), but now itunes is saying that an unknown error occured and it won't resore. Now the ipod screen is an apple with an empty bar under it!! :mad: PLEASE HELP!!!

nateandxach
Mar 21, 2009, 09:49 AM
Hi I'm Afraid All Your Numbers Will Be Lost But If U Have Sync It And That Advice I Gave U Worked Fine Then U Would Be Able To Sync It Or All Apps And Everything To Your Phone

wolverinem03
Mar 22, 2009, 08:25 AM
hi guys... my iphone's battery died and when i tried to charge it back it turns on displays the apple logo and then screen goes blank and if i press the power button then, it does the same thing... if i try to enter into recovery mode it does and the moment i unplug it from the wall it switches off... its not recognized by my pc....

please help me!!!!! i have vital information on that phone

jeyan
Apr 1, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hey all,

man i have the same problem but i have no apple store and i took it to rogers and she tried starting the phone and it didnt even start...she tried the rest buttons nothing and when i got home i played around and i plugged it in to the power outlet and held the wake/power button it came on then right away i held the home button and it showed me the itunes+cable picture bit when i took it off the power supply it went very dim and i could still see the itunes+cable picture on the screen and i tried uninstalling i tunes and reinstalling and nothing itunes will not recognize the phone at all....i talked to rogers again and they said they're gonna have to swap the phone but i really dont want a refurbished phone when i paid a lot of money for this thing...anyone know what i can do about this problem...and ive tried everything thati found heer and on other sites...any help would greatly appreciated...thanx..

Jeyan:eek::eek::eek:

jeyan
Apr 1, 2009, 10:18 PM
hi guys... my iphone's battery died and when i tried to charge it back it turns on displays the apple logo and then screen goes blank and if i press the power button then, it does the same thing... if i try to enter into recovery mode it does and the moment i unplug it from the wall it switches off... its not recognized by my pc....

please help me!!!!! i have vital information on that phone

thats the exact same problem that i have well i dont know if it was the battery though wish i knew what it was but i just wrote a lot more longer:) post above this post

juggalette
May 23, 2009, 06:51 PM
im having somewhat of the same problem, but iis my ipod touch thts doing it. it wont leave the damn apple screen alone. its trying, but it jst cant seem to get past it. ive tred to restore it on my comp, ive re downloaded itunes and everything, but it keeps kickin me off befor it can finish cu my ipod will flash and start all over again. anyone kno how i can fix this? id greatly appreciate it........ well, i jst tried holding the power button and the home button for 25 secs and it says its restoring now....

juggalette
May 23, 2009, 07:18 PM
well, my comp says tht its puttin all my music n apps back on it, but my ipod still wont leave the apple screen again, and its kickin me off again.....

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jun 15, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

this method worked great thanks!!!!

chaoses
Jul 8, 2009, 05:07 PM
I washed my iphone in the washing machine. I quickly noticed it and took it out but it didn't turn on. After about 2 weeks of drying and putting in a bag of rice, it is now turned on after I plugged it in. However, it's stuck at the apple logo for a logn time and never get pass that. I plugged it into my computer and noticed that it reads the iphone is connected. I can also import the pictures that are in the iphone. What are some ways I can do? I tried to restore it but it gave me an error when restoring. :(

donny69
Jul 16, 2009, 10:50 PM
I washed my iphone in the washing machine. I quickly noticed it and took it out but it didn't turn on. After about 2 weeks of drying and putting in a bag of rice, it is now turned on after I plugged it in. However, it's stuck at the apple logo for a logn time and never get pass that. I plugged it into my computer and noticed that it reads the iphone is connected. I can also import the pictures that are in the iphone. What are some ways I can do? I tried to restore it but it gave me an error when restoring. :(

hey I did all this but its stuck at the [usb > itunes]
screen, nothing is happening in my itunes and i left it on
untill it shut off. help.

Justincl26
Aug 16, 2009, 04:22 AM
Home button + dock didnt work for me, I even went to the extent to hold the button for 10 minutes. Please help, I really dont want to have to send it in., Never mind, as soon as i posted this, I tried it one more time, and it worked. Isnt it weird how stuff like that always happens?

roeiboot
Sep 13, 2009, 08:00 PM
yea, method as on page #1 works for me BUT.. it will update to OS 3.1 and no JB...

bottom line; my own fault as i wanted to start "fresh".. hopefully we'll have a 3.1 JB sooner than later.

is it suppose to turn off the phone while downloading ?

chinbuen
Sep 16, 2009, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=PeterB10128;3965555]No matter how many times I try to reset the phone by pressing the power button and home key, it just goes black for a few moments and then back to the Apple logo reboot screen - and it doesn't advance from there.

I can't be the only person to have encountered this problem...[/QUOT

it happen to me also..my advise is go to iclarified.com.. and theres a video tutorial on how to DFU mode ur iphone.. it helps me.. try it:)

miner6084
Sep 28, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hello, just registered to post this...

after trying every solution I could find on google, I could not solve the problem so I decided to try some solutions of my own. I plugged the phone, pressed the home button (after plugging the device) and restarted the 'apple mobile device' service WHILE holding the home button. A few seconds later, itunes recognised it and I started the restore process :rolleyes:

Hope this helps

This bit of genius is what did it for me (restarting the Apple Mobile Device service while attempting (and failing) to boot in restore mode normally). Thanks!

pskibs
Oct 14, 2009, 09:32 PM

DUDE. I had this problem and this was the only suggestion that worked. I actually registered just to say thanks dude.

twinmomx2
Oct 20, 2009, 10:54 AM
I FIXED MY IPHONE!!!!! What the tech @ apple couldn't do or the apple tech on the phone.

First off do everything everyone has already mentioned. Forcing restore, try restoring, do it again, create a new user on your Mac, try restore, if that doesn't work. RUN the Battery dead. Then recharge and holding down the home key plug into itunes and restore. *** You may have to do this twice****

Finally, this is what fixed Iphone. It restored to factory settings after having to do this twice in 3 days. It's working fine now. I know apple just wants you to buy a new phone which I may do, but I was not going to give up. The key to this fix for me was running the battery down and recharging before the restore would work.

I hope this helps someone, I'm so not a Mac geek, I just hate it when things don't work and I wasn't willing to give up.

tink.tel.44
Oct 25, 2009, 05:00 AM
im having the same problems, my iphone being stuck on the connect to itunes symbol, but i think i may have tried to jailbreak it and unlock it to many times, i read somewhere that if you download a higher firmware, and try unlock it on a lower firmware yu cant unlock it at all??
i managed to download firmware 3.1.2 from itunes (which is the newest one, itunes 9 i think) and then i was still trying to unlock it using the 3.1.0 firmware thing, and now i cant get it off the connect to itunes screen.

ive restarted my comp, logged on to a new account, downloaded the new itunes, refreshed the ipsw and the bootloader pack things.
ive only had my iphone (2G) about 2 months, i really hope i havnt fried it

can anyone help me unlock n jailbreak it, ive been able to do it before but now its totaly crapped itself
btw im on windows not mac so i cant download the new jailbreak tool 3.1.2 for mac

thanks, :confused:

F1rE
Nov 9, 2009, 09:12 AM
HI GUYS !!! I have the same problem it shows the apple and the iphone restarts after 2seconds starts restarts on and on... and i can`t make restore not eaven in DFU mode it says Error 1611 pls someone help me i`m so ****ed up ((((( it`s a 3GS 16G

judyq
Nov 15, 2009, 07:04 PM
Wow my phone was frozen for hours! I read this post and yes it restarted. It sucks to restore but hey..its way better then staring at the phone and nothing happening. SO its restored and I'm happy to have the use of my phone back! YAY Thanks sooooo Much!
Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

F1rE
Dec 5, 2009, 04:50 AM
I tryed for ONE MONTH to restore it i got the same error 1611...tryed to restore it on diferent computer ,mac ,DFU mode ,recovery mode,hard reset,all versions of iTunes ,all usb ports ,other data cable , can someone had this error and fixed it ???? pls i`ll apreciate it so much !

harleygold
Dec 6, 2009, 05:19 AM

Wow, this worked! I was worried.

harleygold
Dec 6, 2009, 05:28 AM
I tryed for ONE MONTH to restore it i got the same error 1611...tryed to restore it on diferent computer ,mac ,DFU mode ,recovery mode,hard reset,all versions of iTunes ,all usb ports ,other data cable , can someone had this error and fixed it ???? pls i`ll apreciate it so much !

sounds like you have a dud. is there an Apple Store near by? If not I'd ship it to Apple and have them fix it.

jimmeh77
Dec 11, 2009, 02:25 AM
the below worked for me, though i didn't want to restore to factory settings(particularly since i didn't want to lose all my "apps")...

i ended up unplugging at this stage (with the icon of itunes and a plug-in on my iphone) and then holding the power button until it turned off. i then turned on the iphone as usual and the apple logo appeared for a longer-than-usual time (maybe 2 minutes)... then it went entirely blank for another minute or 2... then finally everything came back!!

Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

grandeabc
Dec 15, 2009, 10:32 AM
Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

Man, thanks a lot!!! I was crazy trying to leave the apple logo. Your solution has worked for me. Hugs!

kingcyprus
Dec 19, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

I JUST DID IT AND BATTERY CAME ON..Really nice work thank you

sangroit
Dec 29, 2009, 06:48 PM

-----
GREAT SUCCESS.

This worked great. Had to hold the home button down for quite some time (had my doubts about the whole thing) but eventually it popped up! Thanks so much for the advice!

jimmy83
Jan 2, 2010, 07:28 AM
My iPhone is showing the connect to iTunes logo...plugged into the PC and click resotre, but its saying it will wipe all content and start fresh...looking in prefs ive got a backup from today-any idea how I access it? As its not show in the drop down bar

rajiv143431
Jan 5, 2010, 09:32 AM
im using iphone 3G fw 3.1.2 and tried to reset all content and data in my phone but wile doing such it got stuck over at apple logo and i tried all kinds of tricks but none works for me. not even my phone is showing in iTunes. i tried to restore in DFU mode but still im unable to find my phone in itunes. plz help me.

im using itunes 9.0.2

-aggie-
Jan 5, 2010, 09:50 AM
Try holding the home and power buttons until it shuts off. Then try a DFU restore. See my link in my sig to make sure you are doing it right.

rajiv143431
Jan 5, 2010, 12:48 PM
i tried but still my iTunes was unable to discover my iphone either in recovery or DFU mode..!!! what should i do now..???

-aggie-
Jan 5, 2010, 03:26 PM
Take it to the Apple store. Erase (not reset) all content and data does just what it says and is only something you do when you're giving the phone back to Apple. If you've done DFU mode right, there's probably nothing you can do.

iMad
Jan 15, 2010, 04:31 AM
Hi guys,

I have the same problem and i have figured out how to enter the DFU mode..
now am afraid to restore my iPhone, cuz I have 2G iPhone which is jailbroken and unlocked !

so if I restore it, I'll lose my jailbreak and unlock ?
if yes, can i unlock it again later ?

thanks in advance !

doblosk
Jan 15, 2010, 08:02 AM
Hi guys
I just got back from four weeks in africa, working on an orphanage.:cool:
Took lotsa photos to do a presentation when i got back to usa. On arriving at atlanta airport, took it out of airplane mode and with 4 weeks of stuff streaming in plus no battery power left, it crashed. Cant get rid of the white apple of death.. only option is to restore it through itunes...but i refuse to lose all my pics...na-ah not in 2010 with so many mac :apple: genii running around.

Called apple they said there is software but they cant give out names. Tried blackra!n, didnt work. Downloaded breezy and someother stuff but it all just gets too complicated for an ignoramus such as myself.:confused:
I dont have sssh and can barely get my head around it............Woe is me!!!
Help plz:eek:

FrozenAppleFix
Feb 4, 2010, 12:10 AM

B.James is indeed King! I searched everywhere and tried everything, until I found this...and it worked!

One note to PC users - I originally tried this on my PC (Dell LatitudeZ), and although the "Connect to Itunes" logo appeared, I couldn't get iTunes to recognize my iPhone.

I happen to have a backup MacBookPro handy, and tried it there, and it recognized the iPhone.

So, if anyone out there is getting half way but not finishing...try a MacBookPro! They're great for fixing iPhones! ;)

tstein1024
Feb 8, 2010, 11:21 PM
Here is the story. My mid chassis bezel needed to be replaced, so I got online ordered the part off of ebay. Took my phone apart (3G) and left it that way so when I got the part in it was a quick process. So I waited for a week until the part arrived. I installed the part without a hitch and fired my phone right back up. It wasn't until I received a phone call that I realized that my speaker wasn't working. So I took my phone back apart emailed the guy and got another part shipped my way. I left my phone taken apart because I had to ship the item back to the guy so he could ship me a replacement. So I wait another week until today when the part comes in. I get my phone out of storage and begin putting it back together. In the process I noticed my power button sits really low in the housing so I tried to push up on the button from the inside to see what I could maybe do, so while doing this I was also pushing down on the home button(5 times at least) while the entire screen was off the phone. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I continued, and while I was getting the glass attached to the mid-frame my phone beeped as though I had a missed call or new email. But my phone had no sim card in it...I didnt know what to think. A few minutes later I heard a very high pitched beeping followed by a vibrate. A few more minutes later it did it again. This beep was unlike any beep I have ever heard coming from the iPhone. (Getting off track, I want to point out that the iPhone was not jailbroken.) I installed everything correctly and tried to power on my phone but it will load up to the apple...the loading circle will appear for a minute or so, then screen flashes white then it starts over again, it will do this until I either push the home and power button to shut it down. I have tried the " Turn the phone off, hold home button while connecting to itunes and then restore. And here is why I think I am *********!!! My iTunes will recognize that a phone is in restore mode, I follow the proper steps in order to complete the restore to factory settings. My phone act normal until the very end after iTunes says that the phone will re-appear after it restarts and the prompt has a 10 sec timer...the loading bar will show up in the phone and fill approx. 1/4 the way then go away, But iTunes keeps going as though there is no error. iTunes will complete the "restore" and ask is I want to restore from back up or new phone. I select new phone and then it will ask for the name and all that jazz. (This whole time iTunes is doing this my phone is still on the apple screen.) Then iTunes will continue to sync and will say iPhone sync is Complete...Ok to disconnect...But my effing phone is still on the white apple screen and will comtinue to go white then the circle loader then fail again, and again, and again....I dont know what to do, any help will be greatly appreciated

keithOrbit
Feb 9, 2010, 02:16 AM
1, Connect to iTunes
2, Pushing and holding the power and home buttons for 25 seconds.

brokendarkness
Feb 13, 2010, 01:12 PM
ok i tried what b.james13 said with the steps to hold the home button while connecting to itunes but my computer does not say anything to me about restoring my phone. my phone just sits on the screen with the itunes symbol up top and the connector and cable at the bottom with the arrow pointing to itunes. my problem was the same as everone elses where i turn the phone on and it freezes on the apple logo then restarts and does it over and over.........and over. can anyone help?

llmdt
Feb 17, 2010, 01:20 AM
just follow this web page
http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2009/09/09/iphone-stuck-apple-logo/

i hope that this help u :rolleyes:

jodieannc
Feb 20, 2010, 02:10 PM
My iphone froze and have tried to reset it too about 30 times.

I then read this thread and put it into recovery mode- I was unable to restore from backup so I just hit restore and it told me i needed to download the update. So that's what I did but when the update is finished it doesn't restore. I have tried this about 5 times now and each time it keeps having to download the update but still doesn't restore.

Anyone else have this problem???? :mad:

oliviablanc
Mar 19, 2010, 03:58 PM

Was this issue ever resolved?
I have the same problem, and I can not seem to find how to fix this anywhere.
Please advise

Thanks,

Olivia

-aggie-
Mar 19, 2010, 04:01 PM
Was this issue ever resolved?
I have the same problem, and I can not seem to find how to fix this anywhere.
Please advise

Thanks,

Olivia

IDK if iRecovery was mentioned in this thread, but you can try my post here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9459800&postcount=4

vitbau
Mar 20, 2010, 12:19 AM
Thank you so much with my gratitude, without going through this I can't solve my problem. Thankyou.............again

robocat
Apr 3, 2010, 03:37 PM
if u i try and restore a jail broken phone and unlocked phone i will loose the jail break as it will update to the 3.1.3? can i restore and not update the software?

lilmist06
Apr 9, 2010, 06:13 AM
ok ive done everything you guys have mention, but i guess the only thing i should mention is that, this isn't my iphone, a friend of mine switch to a new company he didn't want it anymore so I bought it from him, now, i tried to restore it to factory setting or at least i thought i did, and so i could erase everything he had. the thing where it says erase all contacts and settings thats what i did, and now, its just stuck on the rebooting every 5 minutes, the silver apple with the loading circle. and then cuts off and does it again. im new to this so i dont know what to do, i have itunes but bc it isnt my iphone yet, it wont recongnize im guessing, anyone suggestions on what i could do without having to take it somewhere and they cant fix it.

lilmist06
Apr 9, 2010, 06:52 AM
Hey guys,

ok I am having the same problem. Except, here is the story, I have bought this iphone 8gb from a friend, because they changed cell phone companys. And I thought it would be ok, to just erase all contacts and settings in the iphone and i can resett it as my own with my sim card, well, I had went to the erase button and i was waiting for it to boot back up, but all it does now is that it turns off then comes back on with the silver apple. and then i can see that its trying to upload and everything but then it freezes for i dont know a few minutes and then cuts off and does it again. HELP! what can I do? I have itunes but since this wasn't originally mine i guess itunes wont recognize it. ugh is there anything that i can do besides taking it to At&T or an apple store, and if I take it to them, do you think it will cost me anything? thanks for your help, if you can help. I would really appreciate it!

lilmist06
Apr 9, 2010, 07:00 AM
omg! nevermind! i think i got it, sorry if i posted to many times, my computer is acting up too. haha! but i guess i re-read your instructions and i guess i wasnt doing it right, well thanks so much! if i need anymore help ill be sure to come back to yall!

drewsta09
May 6, 2010, 06:48 AM

what if I didnt sync it with itunes b4 I did this and it was on itunes when I clicked " erase iphone "

-aggie-
May 6, 2010, 07:52 AM
what if I didnt sync it with itunes b4 I did this and it was on itunes when I clicked " erase iphone "

Huh? Why did you click "erase?"

You need to get your phone in DFU mode (see my sig).

shahinfarcry
May 9, 2010, 08:11 AM
1.open itunes any version.
2.connect your iphone to the pc using usb cable.
3.now turn on your iphone u will see a white apple logo
4. now hold down power and home button same time and your iphone will turn off and still hold down power and home button and after few seconds u will see ur iphone will enter recovery mode.now u can use itune to restore ur iphone and after restore u can jailbreak again.

virgprekazi
May 9, 2010, 12:16 PM

I have tried number 3 and nothing works. My iPod touch was perfect I left it charging. Suddenly I go to see it and the logo appears nothing else, the logo is the Apple one and has a small but visible while line going thru it and beside it to other small lines. I tried to restore it (button thingy) but it doesn't work. Sometimes there are some blue flashing lines come on and sometimes these pink flashing dots. I left the power to drain, but now it wont charge , the logo appears when connected to power source etc. iTunes wont recognize it (Mac OSX 10.6) nothing. I can turn it off but when on same thing , no charge, logo , frozen. Whats wrong? Please help!!

swolf72
May 16, 2010, 06:33 PM
I am having the same issue (stuck with the apple logo and nothing else happens). I have noticed most of you have just went to the Apple store and returned your phone and they give you a new one. Do they charge you anything at all? Do they only give you a phone if you bought your phone within a certain amount of time?

Any news would be helpful. I've tried everything you guys are saying and nothing is working. Itunes doesn't recognize my phone, (because i guess its not turned on), I can't power it off, everytime I reset it just goes back to the apple logo and stays there.

Thanks

svenscot
May 16, 2010, 09:57 PM
After 9 months my 3gs battery started dying fast. Genius replaced it in store no charge. Battery was great. Actually lasted a full day. One month later the replacement froze. Nothing would fix it. Replaced in store. The replacement had a bad battery. Got back to the store and they replaced it again. All under warranty. Quality is indeed an issue.

Kelcie
Jun 3, 2010, 02:00 PM
You are a star man, you saved the day.

Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

Quandrenasium
Jun 9, 2010, 11:52 AM
James13 IT WORKED!!! THANX SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH ^^ TRUST THIS GUY PEOPLE ^^

caramellove1
Jun 10, 2010, 08:32 AM
Ok i tried holding down the home butoon but when it gets almost to the complete stage it gives me a error code of 1015. What do i do i need help?

btp1515
Jun 10, 2010, 01:00 PM
when I woke up the other day my phone was in safe mode and could not get out of it. So I tried to restore it to the original settings on my computer. when I did this the recovery failed and my iphone is now stuck in recovery mode. The recovery fails everytime I try it. please help me figure this out.

abballa
Jun 20, 2010, 01:37 AM
hey guys,

my 3gs w/blackra1n, is frozen on the apple logo.
about 3 days ago, i set it to erase all content and settings, but had to cancel the erase after it had started up.
since then the phone has been stuck on the apple icon screen and will not progress any further and holding the home and lock button resets it, however it only returns to the logo screen.
itunes will not pick up the phone.
if anyone can help me id be very appreciated, ive tried all the offered solutions in this thread and had no result, only the logo screen.
help me macrumors forum members, you're my only hope.

-Abballa

also i should add i get no spinning loader that a few others seem to report.

Stavroula
Jun 22, 2010, 03:12 AM
Hello,when i try switch on my iphone,the apple logo appears for 39 sec and then iphone closes immidiately :confused:
I tried also to get it work with itunes but it does the same thing.
i would be gratefull if someone could help me,thank you.:)

Lire666
Jun 22, 2010, 03:26 AM
hey guys,

my 3gs w/blackra1n, is frozen on the apple logo.
about 3 days ago, i set it to erase all content and settings, but had to cancel the erase after it had started up.
since then the phone has been stuck on the apple icon screen and will not progress any further and holding the home and lock button resets it, however it only returns to the logo screen.
itunes will not pick up the phone.
if anyone can help me id be very appreciated, ive tried all the offered solutions in this thread and had no result, only the logo screen.
help me macrumors forum members, you're my only hope.

-Abballa

also i should add i get no spinning loader that a few others seem to report.

I have the exact same problem. I dont know what to do. I got my phone working yesterday and i waited over 3 months that. Please help!

maggiecubes
Jun 26, 2010, 09:09 AM
i clean and reset my 8gb i phone , now it have a frozen apple on the screen , i try the 25 sec method , that do not work

JCKun
Jun 29, 2010, 12:54 AM
have you tried to use blackra1n again to see if you can pass by the apple logo?

louis002
Jun 29, 2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks. Saved me as well.

The only difference I had from the instructions is that when I held down the home button and plugged in, nothing seemed to happen to wake up the phone. So I pushed the power button while continuing to be plugged in and the home button held and it then started and went into recover mode.

I was given this phone by a very cute friend of mine. She has had it "broken" for over a month now and in hopes that I could save the day, she came over and asked me to fix it! Took me 5 minutes thanks to all of your help!

Kayla1224
Jul 7, 2010, 10:16 AM
I had the reappearing apple reboot symbol or whatever on my screen for about 10 minutes..I tried "reseting" by holding down the home and sleep button..whatever you wanna call it. I would just turn black for a second and go back to the mac symbol. I let it sit for a bit after trying to reset and it turned on told me to plug it into Itunes then went back to normal..a alert came up telling me that "Iphone has been activated". Soo..whats going on with my Iphone..?

omev
Jul 25, 2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.solidblogger.com/iphone-ipod-touch-recovery-mode-recboot/

goldieintexas
Jul 28, 2010, 08:43 PM
I tried to do something nice for my daughter. I bought her a Jailbroken Iphone 3G off of Ebay, we have T-mobile. I got the phone, plugged it in to charge (had everything on the screen then) and then icons were gone and now I have nothing but a black screen and apple. I also tried to see if Itunes would work as discussed in the prior posts but it doesn't even read the phone.
I spent alot of money on this phone and now.. nothing. Apple won't help me, T-mobile cannot help me. So.. here I am.

cutestranger
Jul 31, 2010, 12:18 AM
guys i seriously need help

i had updated to firmware 3.1.3 and was using the fone perfectly then i gave my sister the fone to use so she wante dto delete everything as in contacts and all on the fone so she ended up going to settings and reset...

now the fone is stuck on the apple logo it jus keeps loading i can not restore to 3.1.3 or below i can however update to 4 but the problem is once jailbroken on 3.1.3 u can not jailbreak on 4.0 thereby making me stuck in using my network sim card as it will be locked ..

pls appreciate any help i can get

bembol
Aug 4, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

I tried that Jailbreak, I turn ON my 3GS to find out it's stuck...

I stayed calm and Google it. LOL Thank you for this post.

zunair
Aug 10, 2010, 07:05 AM
Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

just registered on this forum to thank you its great help i was going nuts

ckeilah
Aug 25, 2010, 06:08 AM
I had the same problem. Reset wouldn't fix it. However, DFU mode did. google DFU mode iPhone and you'll be back in business. If not, return the ipwn for a refund; it's hosed! ;-)

xmuahz
Aug 26, 2010, 05:14 PM
please help!!!

so I got an iphone from the states, and it was iphone 3.1.3 with baseband 5.12.01. i went onto jailbreakme.com from safari on my iphone, and jailbroke the phone. then i used blackra1n from cydia and unlocked it. however, my iphone got stuck at the "return to Cydia" page, so i went ahead and rebooted it. i did what bjames13 said, and everything showed up on itunes. and i need to restore my iphone. but now, i can't find a firmware for iphone 3.1.3 with baseband 5.12.01. does that mean i'm still screwed? or is there any other way for me to restore? any help would be appreciated, and asap please.

thank you.

robogarrett
Sep 1, 2010, 09:37 PM
I went on jailbreakme.com on my moms iphone, and as it was about 2 minutes into jailbreaking, i panicked and turned off the phone. Ive tried syncing it, pretty much everything i can think of to solve the problem, but whenever i turn on the phone, all that appears is a black screen with the apple logo on it, and that screen will stay on as long as you have the phone on. I really need help as soon as possible, because i really dont have enough money to buy my mom a new one, and i would reappy appreciate any help that you can give me.

5worthington
Sep 3, 2010, 04:24 AM
Open itunes and then connect your iphone with usb, then just put in into DFU mode, from there you can restore it.

alextouch
Sep 4, 2010, 02:55 PM
ty so much bjames :)

MozillaGeek
Sep 13, 2010, 05:52 PM
I've read all the responses in this post but none seems to address my issue. I have a 3g and was jailbreaking my phone two days ago when my phone mysteriously restarted mid-jailbreak (www.jailbreakme.com) and will not advance past the apple logo start up screen since. Nothing suggested in this thread works. I've tried all the approaches (hard resets, letting the phone sit for days, plugging into itunes etc..)

My dilemma is that i have never backed up my Iphone via syncing it to my computer through itunes otherwise i would simply do a restore which seems to be the cure all for this issue. I have 2 years worth of contacts on this phone and i am willing to do anything it takes to get them off the phone. I spoke with an apple customer service rep and he essentially told me i was SOL... What can i do?

MozillaGeek
Sep 13, 2010, 09:22 PM
Any thoughts? ^

RipeRetina
Sep 15, 2010, 10:42 AM
I've had my phone jailbroke for a couple months now. This is the first time my phone wouldn't start up, got stuck at loading screen. So I tried everything. Unfortunately, I was in somewhat of a hurry at the time and decided to restore. I WAS going to wait for the shatter 4.1 jb but I ended up installing 4.1 stock but I can continue to jailbreak again later right? And, does anyone know why it happened? I changed to stock password to my mobile terminal to something else and even turned off the apple killswitch. I know that has nothing to do with it, I'm sure it was just a glitch right?

Cam8291994
Oct 18, 2010, 06:55 PM
I have this iphone that is stuck at the apple logo. I have tried to turn it off many time no such luck so dfu mode and recovery mode are out of the picture. I need to restore it asap but i have no way to do any help will be appreciated.

matrix8841
Nov 9, 2010, 07:29 PM
Have you tried pushing and holding the power and home buttons for 25 seconds?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

I thought I lost my iPhone forever ~ I tried every everything I knew, I tried everything others knew...sadly I failed every time

After finding this post on google, I was keeping my fingers and toes crossed it would work... I did not think it would (I will be honest) because well nothing else worked...

After spending over 9 hours trying and anything and everything, I succeeded thanks to your advise!

Hold power and home for 25 seconds ~ wow!!!!!!! My iPhone turned on finally and I was able to connect to iTunes

THANK YOU

<3 Tatyana :)

Leonidis
Nov 13, 2010, 07:40 AM
Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

:(
um i did that it worked but deleted everything i had on my phone.....
is their a way to get it all back without syncing it to my comp

teeka-meow
Jan 8, 2011, 06:22 PM
My iPhone 3GS is stuck on the apple logo, even after I rebooted it in recovery mode several times. At the end of each recovery process, iTunes has full access to the iPhone but the screen still has the apple logo.

If anyone has some advice, I would love you :)

moonman239
Jan 8, 2011, 06:29 PM
My iPhone 3GS is stuck on the apple logo, even after I rebooted it in recovery mode several times. At the end of each recovery process, iTunes has full access to the iPhone but the screen still has the apple logo.

If anyone has some advice, I would love you :)

1) Are you jailbroken? Jailbreaks can do some SERIOUS harm to an iDevice sometimes, damage beyond repair even.

2) Are you running iOS 4.2.1? If not, try updating it. Sometimes keeping your phone up-to-date fixes any problems.

teeka-meow
Jan 8, 2011, 07:17 PM
1) Are you jailbroken? Jailbreaks can do some SERIOUS harm to an iDevice sometimes, damage beyond repair even.

2) Are you running iOS 4.2.1? If not, try updating it. Sometimes keeping your phone up-to-date fixes any problems.

1) I am not jailbroken
2) I don't think I was before I tried the recovery processes but since I've tried them my iPhone was updated to iOS 4.2.1, as iTunes is telling me.

iAppleManiac
Jan 15, 2011, 04:02 PM
Wait until the battery runs out. :)

iAppleManiac
Jan 15, 2011, 04:04 PM
I have this iphone that is stuck at the apple logo. I have tried to turn it off many time no such luck so dfu mode and recovery mode are out of the picture. I need to restore it asap but i have no way to do any help will be appreciated.

Wait until the battery dies. Once it does then just try to turn it on and if that fails and there's still an Apple on the screen take it up with Apple at your nearest Apple retail store. :D

RipeRetina
Jan 15, 2011, 04:13 PM
There is a program called ireb, it kicks an idevice out of recovery mode. Besides that, I would have already called apple care by now.

savanahrose
Jan 25, 2011, 09:20 PM
Thank you MacRumors posters! I was able to fix my husband's iphone. I love this place. :p

hayden98
Jan 26, 2011, 01:37 PM
I had the same exact problem and what i did was plug in my ipod/iphonehttp://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/blackapple.gif for 1 minutes in itunes then take it out without touching it for 5 minutes, press a button and your fixed.http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

hayden98
Jan 26, 2011, 01:39 PM
I had the same exact problem and what i did was plug in my ipod/iphone for 1 minutes in itunes then take it out without touching it for 5 minutes, press a button and your fixed. NOT THAT FIXED STUPID:eek:

Wcnd1983
Jan 28, 2011, 12:37 AM
Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

Hi!!! Wooow thanks for this advice.. this really works... i had been trying everything to fix my iphone but with these simple steps it restored my iphone easily...thanks again!!

robbie1848
Jan 28, 2011, 11:12 AM
Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

hey thank you so much!

Maryami
Feb 2, 2011, 03:43 AM
phew wish i have read this 3 days ago, i have been without a phone for 3 days and this worked ! thanks alot:)

RunningChick
Feb 2, 2011, 10:23 AM
Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

I tried all of that! I can only get phone to restore mode. Once Itunes recognizes and "restore" message comes up. I click ok and then get another message saying it couldn't be restored because it's not eligible for the build requested!!

What do I do now?

It won't let me upgrade or restore!

maemiranda
Feb 8, 2011, 11:28 PM
Hi, my phone was unlocked and jailbroken, and after I ran Cydia in it it went crazy and stuck in the apple, it does not turn off, I'm only able to watch how it sits and drains its own battery out, help please!!

rgvarma.26
Mar 16, 2011, 01:38 AM

I have done as you said , but when i have gone through the 3 rd step it is saying that The iphone software update server could not be contacted.

So help me, what can i do...

m16rn
Mar 26, 2011, 08:45 AM
yes it worked but i have still a problem, when i pushed the home button and connected it to itunes it shows on the iphone a cable + an itunes icon and on the computer they wrote " the iphone software server could not be contacted" and it didnt detect the iphone, what should i do?

bevyy
Apr 15, 2011, 06:57 AM
okay so noone has even posted up anything similar to mine.
this is the problem. (first how do you even post up a new post ? on this im new sorry guys)

PROBLEM:
My phone is stuck on the apple logo. only today it started to freeze (my iphone 3g) . soo i restart it thinking its fine. but when i wait for it to restart it stays on the apple logo... for like..forever :( . then i figured out how to fix i t byt just resotring the iphone. (at least i know it was still working) BUT then.....
it froze again :( doing nothing on an app jus finished writing a msg back . so i have to try restart again. but stuck on the logo ONCE AGAIN. so i try doing what i did before... again and again and again. it restores .just doesnt restart but stays on the apple logo sign while restarting after restoration.
what do i do ? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME

S373N
Apr 18, 2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks so much!
Yelling in caps cause i'm so thankful!

Sallynurse
Apr 24, 2011, 02:29 PM
Thank you so much this fixed the problem for me thank you so much-Sally UK

Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

ADF-Sniper
May 3, 2011, 12:23 AM
Because you guys have helped me out a heap, I thought I would register and send off my solution.

What was happening.... I jailbreak, restore, everything... but still had the same issue... All I got was the apple logo and at times the spinner with it, then later reboots.

Now I know it was booting up springboard because I could sync in itunes but springboard would not show. So if you are having the same problem as me, check out my solution.

BTW this was on the 3gs I dont know if the other phones have the same.

http://snd.li/Gnr

Enjoy

willtell
May 9, 2011, 07:45 AM
Help!

I have an 3GS, jailbreak 4.2.1 - that will not Boot up after a stupid mistake I Wiped the phone from Kerio Connect and after that , the iPhone will not start up again.

The iPhone loads the apple logo, then GreenPois0n logo comes up and it's starts loading and loading, that's it.

Have tried everything that I can think about, and what standing how to recover the iPhone.

djzestmanUTUBE
May 12, 2011, 02:32 AM
[QUOTE=b.james13;5241333]Yea i had the same problem. What you need to do is put the phone in recovery mode. to do this do the following:

would just like to say this advice is massive and you are massive for passing this advice on i was at my wits end with the jailbroke phone stuck on the logo and no.3 worked your amazing m8 thanks millions
:):):):):)
holding the 2 buttons was useless by the way the above method is MASSIVE many thanks again

Little L
May 20, 2011, 08:09 AM
As stated above, my iphone4 is stuck in recovery mode. If I remember correctly I had to downgrade from iOS 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 and I jailbroke my iphone4 with Limera1n last year and all wa fine.

I downloaded an app - chatpic on Cydia on Monday, some of the icons went blank, I turned it off to reboot and ever since I just get the connect to itunes screen.

I have tried holding all sleep/home buttons accordingly and I have tried connecting to itunes etc. itunes provides and error msg stating it has detected iphone in recovery mode, in order to use itunes you must restore.

I have backed up my device but my last back up is mid April, I have voice memos, text messages which I desperately need to recover. IF I restore i itunes as it instructs me to, will it restore my phone back to how it was just before I installed the app before it went into recovery mode OR will it only restore with the data from my most recent back up?

Since Jailbreaking my iphone I also got an ipad.....which I also jailbroke! I had to update itunes in order to do so and was concerned when backing my iphone4 up that it might cause problems - however it never did. Unsure whether thought I wd mention.

I have also tried jailbreaking again with Limera1n but although my laption (Windows7) confirms all done, it doesnt actually do anything to my phone. I also tried jailbreaking it with greenpois0n but I then get msg - Panic hanging in here.

If anyone can offer any help/advice I wld be sooooooo greatful!

From a very stressed Little L :confused:

[QUOTE=b.james13;5241333]Yea i had the same problem. What you need to do is put the phone in recovery mode. to do this do the following:

would just like to say this advice is massive and you are massive for passing this advice on i was at my wits end with the jailbroke phone stuck on the logo and no.3 worked your amazing m8 thanks millions
:):):):):)
holding the 2 buttons was useless by the way the above method is MASSIVE many thanks again[/I][/B][/U][/U][/I][/I]

Alty
Jun 8, 2011, 11:44 AM
Ive found theperfect solution!! what you do is plug your wire into your iphone and the computer so its basically as you would do when syncing with itunes. It wont sync, dont worry, you now hold down the power button at the top of your iphone for 5 seconds, and then the round menu button, the apple logo should dissappear, as soon as the apple logo re-appears pull the wire out of the iphone. You should then after a few minutes see the small round loading circle. It takes about 5-10 minutes but the phone will start up again as normal with all your apps and info intact.

Hope this helps!!!

rjdecker
Jun 16, 2011, 02:42 AM
Be plugged in and iTunes open.

Hold down the power and home button like forever.

When phone goes blank contiue to hold down power. Do not release the power button.

Even if white apple comes back on hold power button on.

iTunes will fine your phone.

Keep power button on and click restore.

Keep power button on. Once sync has started release power button.

SinGGuy
Jun 28, 2011, 03:05 AM

Hi, I am also facing this problem on my 3G iphone. Its going into black for a sec and then its showing me apple logo and wheel in a min.... i tried a lot to put my phone into recovery mode. but i couldnt. u were able to solve the issue? if so can u pls advise. thanks.

SinGGuy
Jun 28, 2011, 03:08 AM
Because you guys have helped me out a heap, I thought I would register and send off my solution.

What was happening.... I jailbreak, restore, everything... but still had the same issue... All I got was the apple logo and at times the spinner with it, then later reboots.

Now I know it was booting up springboard because I could sync in itunes but springboard would not show. So if you are having the same problem as me, check out my solution.

BTW this was on the 3gs I dont know if the other phones have the same.

http://snd.li/Gnr

Enjoy

I am facing the same issue. can u pls help to send ur solution here. Thanks.

wkl471
Jun 28, 2011, 11:56 AM
I have had the non-responsive iPhone 3GS issue today as well. I did the reset (home and stand-by buttons) for ten seconds. The phone shut off and then turned back on. It was stuck at the Apple screen, and no matter how many times I would turn it off and back on, it would not boot. Finally, I left the phone alone. I knew it was doing something (besides spontaneous combustion!) because it was getting warm. 45 minutes later, the phone came back. It was responsive, and I was able to use all my apps again. So, if none of the ohter solutions work for you when your phone becomes unresponsive on reboot, use patience. Set the phone down and go for a bike ride. Go to the beach. Do something other than stare at it for an hour. Patience pays!

ramirofauve
Jul 22, 2011, 04:03 PM
my iphone 4 is stuck in the restore loop. itunes won't see it no matter what. I've done the hard reset, home button plug the phone in thing. And they were no help at the Genius bar. I HAVE restore and NOT lose my photos- they are irreplaceable. So, please, can someone help.

If you can walk me through the iRecovery steps that would be a great help. All info I have found on it it assumes we know too much.

for example I tried this:

you need libusb and irecovery.

put ur phone in recovery mode, well i guess it already will be.
type in the codes exactly as i do, when i start a new line, you start a new line. dont worry about the characters it already puts there.

iRecovery -s

printenv

setenv auto-boot true

saveenv

reboot

.... so, when I enter "iRecovery -s" I get:
-bash: iRecovery: command not found
MacBook-Pro:~ ramiro$

when I enter "printenv" I get:
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
TERM=xterm-color
SHELL=/bin/bash
TMPDIR=/var/folders/Gb/GbQ5l3RQFD03DfDF-Ja8gk+++TI/-Tmp-/
Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-AjhM9y/Render
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=273.1
USER=ramiro
COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-koVk61/Listeners
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
PWD=/Users/ramiro
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SHLVL=1
HOME=/Users/ramiro
LOGNAME=ramiro
DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-Y6RI67/org.x:0
_=/usr/bin/printenv

when I enter "setenv auto-boot true" I get:

-bash: setenv: command not found
MacBook-Pro:~ ramiro$

what am I doing wrong???
ramiro

Maic Salazar
Aug 10, 2011, 01:56 AM
okay so noone has even posted up anything similar to mine.
this is the problem. (first how do you even post up a new post ? on this im new sorry guys)

PROBLEM:
My phone is stuck on the apple logo. only today it started to freeze (my iphone 3g) . soo i restart it thinking its fine. but when i wait for it to restart it stays on the apple logo... for like..forever :( . then i figured out how to fix i t byt just resotring the iphone. (at least i know it was still working) BUT then.....
it froze again :( doing nothing on an app jus finished writing a msg back . so i have to try restart again. but stuck on the logo ONCE AGAIN. so i try doing what i did before... again and again and again. it restores .just doesnt restart but stays on the apple logo sign while restarting after restoration.
what do i do ? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME
I have the exact same problem but it happens because of a bad touch screen!!! I think is hardware issue!! Mine is now working a 100%

timerollson
Sep 4, 2011, 11:59 AM

Awesome! Worked perfectly!

The only thing I did differently is I just had the iPhone already plugged in (iTunes wasn't recognizing it anyway). Worked like a charm.

RottenApplz
Sep 17, 2011, 09:58 AM
Gday All,

Some advice please...

My wifes iphone 3G has decided to join the ranks of screens filled with the apple symbol. I am currently working away so I get a distressed call saying that her phone isnt working, after some sketchy descriptions it sounds like those reporting issues on page 1 (apple symbol...alternates between black screen and apple logo if you hold power and wake button for say 10-20 secs).

Then I get told that my wife hardly uses the computer to back up and update but rather puts it onto the wall charger. Now she is freaking out because the first year of our daughters life in pictures is in the phone and she is afraid they will be erased if she plays with it. She also didnt sink contacts to her sim so they are at risk.

Now, Im not back for another week so in the interim can someone lay out some simple to follow steps to get the baby pics off the phone...I dont really care about anything else. I thought maybe connecting to the computer and turning off itunes and using my laptops windows explorer to find the phone and its folders and just drag and drop onto the desktop if I ever see it again...

REMEMBER I dont want to do a factory restore as this will obviously delete the pics so suggestions are welcome. If someone helps me get these precious memories off the phone I will gladly send them something for their trouble!

Here's hoping!!
:eek:

DrunkenNinja
Sep 17, 2011, 01:20 PM
Tried every trick in the book, but no cigar.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1230136

Gonna try a new battery next

crystal23
Oct 2, 2011, 02:27 AM
i hope you find this helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjBFN5x4y64&feature=related

ress
Oct 10, 2011, 01:00 AM
I had a problem with my 3g iphone which stuck on apple logo, and I've entered the DFU mode Itunes can not detect it but I use Itunes 10.5, what should I do? My PC OS Windows XP

ADAMJE
Oct 11, 2011, 03:23 PM
Updating Iphone 4 with the latest Facebook update bricked my wifes Iphone. Typically, hadn't backed it up for months. Tried hard boot, many times, tried pluging it in to Itunes but couldn't see it. Rebooted by holding for 25+ seconds and comes up with connect to Itunes to recover!! owch.. ie loose all data!

Solution! Download ubuntu live disk and boot from cd. I found this as I was trying to backup the photos via linux as I couldn't see the iphone through windows.

The iphone appears in linux but clicking on it says.. that its a password protected drive. I attempted this several times and then voila!! the password screen appears on the iphone type the 4 digit number in and job done!

Thank god!

I hope this helps someone!

If anyone needs any help with downloading a linux live disk drop me an e-mail
at adamjordanevans2001@yahoo.co.uk

oh.... and it was the infamous facebook app that bricked it!

Cheers

Adam

0turner0
Oct 13, 2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the recommendation!

I had the exact same thing happen to me moments ago (tried to update Facebook, failed and then tried to install it, stuck on install, restarted phone) and have since been trying all manner of restarts/DFU/iRecovery solutions to try to save my data.

None of them seemed to be working, but here's the solution that "worked" for me.

I had the phone plugged in, with iTunes open, stuck on the apple logo.

I went to plug it into another computer to do the Ubuntu trick - but as soon as I yanked the cable out (disconnected USB from computer - left in iPhone) the phone magically finished booting!

iTunes still can't read the content of it, so I figure some type of manifest is at least partially screwed - but I have a phone again! thanks!

... eject before disconnect, what a maroon.

ladybugggirl
Oct 14, 2011, 03:09 PM
None of the suggestions work for me. When I am asked to restore, it is not from a back up..can anyone please help. I don't want to loose my JB.

Thank you thank you thank you!

gatsoulias
Oct 15, 2011, 02:28 PM
thank you guys..!!!you save me..!!!

gatsoulias
Oct 15, 2011, 03:27 PM
i need some help please..!!i downloaded redsn0w jailbrake 0-9-8b3 i did the steps but somethink went wrong..my phone stuck all the time in apple logo.i read the informations here and i went to itunes to do restore.itunes found a new software
and when i press restore go out a box and write error and cant do restore..what can i do with this??please help me and sorry for my english..

twa747
Oct 25, 2011, 07:44 PM
My froze at the start screen when I went into Settings and now I have to restore it.

kash10785
Dec 9, 2011, 07:40 PM
Hi there,

2) Open iTunes;

This post save me a lot of time and effort, most important that my data was not damaged!!
I am personally thankful to the person for posting this.

Iphonedummy.
Dec 10, 2011, 12:48 PM

This helped alot .... UNTIL when iTunes recognized it and i tried to click restore it gives me one option which is to Restore&Update. I do not want to update so I tried SHIFT+Restore button and then selected my iOS firmware restore and got an error message. I'm so lost please help :confused:

Crystal-RX
Dec 10, 2011, 12:55 PM
This helped alot .... UNTIL when iTunes recognized it and i tried to click restore it gives me one option which is to Restore&Update. I do not want to update so I tried SHIFT+Restore button and then selected my iOS firmware restore and got an error message. I'm so lost please help :confused:

For Iphone 3GS/ Iphone 4. Unless you have SHSH blob save, you can't do shift + restore your phone to IOS old firmware you have on your computer. You will always get error from Itunes. You can only restore to the firmware Apple is currently signing.

rickky
Dec 17, 2011, 01:25 PM
MY i touch 3g was jailbroken and i wanted to restore it so i went to settings on my i pod and i clicked reset. it was resetting then it was just stuck on the apple logo. i tried many times to restore it using itunes and when i first did a message popped up sayin if i wanted to backup or restore. i accidently exited out of it and now when i open up itunes and press the home button and hold it the cable connected to itunes picture is on my screen but itunes doesnt say i have an ipod connected. i tried to reinstal itunes and restart my computer but still itunes doesnt pop up with the restore message anymore. need major help!

Jack Bauer
Dec 27, 2011, 02:41 AM
MY i touch 3g was jailbroken and i wanted to restore it so i went to settings on my i pod and i clicked reset. it was resetting then it was just stuck on the apple logo. i tried many times to restore it using itunes and when i first did a message popped up sayin if i wanted to backup or restore. i accidently exited out of it and now when i open up itunes and press the home button and hold it the cable connected to itunes picture is on my screen but itunes doesnt say i have an ipod connected. i tried to reinstal itunes and restart my computer but still itunes doesnt pop up with the restore message anymore. need major help!

Lack of sleep and restoring a few iPhones prior to this one, I tried to reset and erase all settings. I should have gotten some sleep prior to the last minute decision. It's stuck on the boot up apple, but occasionally it looks like it boots down and then continues to show an activity circulating screen, which stops just showing the fixed apple symbol.

SKATE4LIFE
Feb 23, 2012, 04:42 PM
anyway to not loose the things, can you conect ssh? :confused:

Brucesdawg
Feb 23, 2012, 09:10 PM
Hi Ok I know there was a thread about this but I havent been able to locate it. I have an iphone 4 for less than a year. It still had a warranty so my carrier sent me a new one when it kept shutting down on me. Now this 2nd one is doing the same thing!? Im getting a new iphone 4s next week & Im wondering if I should expect the same issue? Please tell me what could be the problem?
I appreciate any tips or help u can give me! Thanks!

lourdes in miam
Mar 5, 2012, 10:37 AM
I m haivng the same problem. I have tried numrous times to reboot pressing the home/start button and then while holding home button connected to I tunes. It goes through the entire restore process but it gives me an error "your phone could not be restore". PLEASE HELP, DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO.

Thanks,

patriciazales
Mar 27, 2013, 10:14 AM
I did the following steps like holding the power button like forever until "connect to itunes" pops up

yet..... It says tha server could not be contacted. How can i restoire that? Please help :(

----------

i did the following steps like holding the power button like forever until "connect to itunes" pops up

yet..... It says tha server could not be contacted. How can i restoire that? Please help :(

same problem here! Have you resolved yours? :(

ethanyash
Jul 22, 2013, 06:01 AM
Hi,

When i plug my iPhone 4S to my computer and try to restore it, it comes up with error 1611 and says it cannot restore, and then i realized it keeps turning off and then back on while trying to restore it, the phone is in dfu mode, i have tried on editing the private/etc/hosts file as mentioned in diff forums .. still im getting the same error..Surprisingly i phone starts up wen connected to power supply but there s no service connectivity ..it wl be on searching status all the time connected to power supply . once i un-plug, it will shut down and restarts at apple logo screen . please find the way to fix it .