Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alebar14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Auckland CBD, New Zealand
Hi Guys...

Kia Ora from New Zealand !

I am selling my Nikon D70 Kits worth a NZ$4,720.59 in a trade website. The camera body and a wide angle lens has been with me over a year and some of the kits it's only few months old. Some of them still have warranty.

I wanted to sell them because I need to buy a Macbook Pro 15" 2.2 Ghz/120GB/2GB. The best deal I can buy for only NZ$2,945.

So how much do you suggest for the reserve price ,so I can buy the Macbook Pro ?

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Hi Guys...

Kia Ora from New Zealand !

I am selling my Nikon D70 Kits worth a NZ$4,720.59 in a trade website. The camera body and a wide angle lens has been with me over a year and some of the kits it's only few months old. Some of them still have warranty.

I wanted to sell them because I need to buy a Macbook Pro 15" 2.2 Ghz/120GB/2GB. The best deal I can buy for only NZ$2,945.

So how much do you suggest for the reserve price ,so I can buy the Macbook Pro ?

What do you have in your photo kit to make it worth almost $3600 US? That's a lot of money for a D70 kit. Do you have any pro series glass? We'd need much more information about everything you're selling before giving you advice.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Yeah, really. As epicwelshman said, what kind of glass do you have? When I bought my D50 I passed up a deal on a D70s for $450 USD. (Granted, it didn't have any amazing lenses - just an 18-55)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Sell it a part at a time. No onw will buy the full kit unless the price is very, very low. In general DSLR bodies sell for maybe 1/2 their new selling price if they are no longer in production but still resonable specs. You simply can't sell the "kit" lens, very few buyers. Best to offer it "free" with the body s that the body will sell quicker. Good quality lenses hold value for many years and sell for maybe 2/3rds their new price. But it varies. Depends on exactly what you have

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
The kit probably costs (and resells) for a much higher price in New Zealand than it does here in the states. We probably can't be of much use to you since the majority of people on this forum are based in the United States.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
3600 NZD = 2700 USD.... Hmmm, yeah, the body + kit lens are probably not worth more than 600 USD= 780 NZD... What is worth 1600USD? :confused:

Are you perchance selling a 70-200 VR with it?

It's actually NZ$4700, which equates to $3600 US... meaning he must have some serious glass. Or he's out of his mind.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Hey... I checked the specs and photos on your kit and I wouldn't pay more than $1800 for it. The biggest deal you have is that 300mm VR which retails for about $480 USD and hte 18-70 which is $300 USD. The D70 would be less than $550 USD since the D200 and D80 have come down in price and the D40 and D40x are the new budget cameras. The SB-800 is around $300 USD brand new... that equals $1550 USD if you were selling some new stuff. The rest of the kit is kinda good but stuff many photogs may already have. The price is good, set the reserve for around $1500 and you should find a good buyer for the whole thing.... or sell it in parts.

saxondale.

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
England/China
If i'm correct, you pay a lot in NZ. So doing a straight currency conversion wont work. Like in the UK, a lot more than people in the US do. So what is a fair price in one country wont seem like it in another.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
If i'm correct, you pay a lot in NZ. So doing a straight currency conversion wont work. Like in the UK, a lot more than people in the US do. So what is a fair price in one country wont seem like it in another.

Fair enough, but if it's worth the American equivalent of ~$2100 NZD, then asking $4700 NZD is hardly a bargain. I know nothing about the New Zealand economy, but I doubt he'd be lucky to get $3000 NZD for the kit.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
Fair enough, but if it's worth the American equivalent of ~$2100 NZD, then asking $4700 NZD is hardly a bargain. I know nothing about the New Zealand economy, but I doubt he'd be lucky to get $3000 NZD for the kit.

That's still not the point.

Here's a similar example. He mentioned that he's buying a mac book pro. Apple New Zealand lists the base MPB MSRP for $3,399 NZD, which is $2,608 USD. The base MBP MSRP for the US is $1,999. The same thing can cost more or less in different places (you know, taxes, tariffs, shipping, domestic income, scarcity, etc).

I can almost assure you that Nikon doesn't offer universal pricing for their cameras around the world. A D80 could cost $1200 here, but over $2000 there. Therefore, unless someone knows what Nikon's MSRP for his camera and lenses is in New Zealand pricing, and the other economic factors involved, its almost impossible to make an accurate assumption if his offer is realistic or not.

As I said earlier, asking someone in New Zealand instead of someone in another country (that has a completely different economy and MSRP for the product) would be a lot more productive than having us guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.