View Full Version : Ebay Laugh

MetallicPenguin
Jul 27, 2003, 12:54 PM
Look at this scam:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2744519245&category=4607

G5 Pentium 4?

P-Worm
Jul 27, 2003, 01:00 PM
Wow that's funny. How do I report this before anyone can buy it? Or maybe we should just flood this guy with emails and toy around with him a bit?

P-Worm

Sun Baked
Jul 27, 2003, 01:11 PM
Now that is funny, wonder how many people will try to buy it?

Great computer specs, but the shape in the ad...

Now which one is it?

http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macproto/images/g5sphere.jpg

&

http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macdesign/images/G5-PowerMac.jpg

agreenster
Jul 27, 2003, 01:19 PM
That is so hilarious. I sent an email to him asking to bid. (you have to be a pre-approved bidder or some stupid thing like that) Lets see if he (she?) responds!

SubGothius
Jul 27, 2003, 01:21 PM
...and they're selling in British Pounds (GBP), but listed their location as United States (Apple PowerMac, United States, to be accurate). But hm, look at the seller's feedback! Either they're clueless about Macs (or just plain clueless in general :-) and really do have a preordered G5 up for auction somehow (and couldn't find a legitimate G5 pic anywhere on the Web?!), or IMHO more likely...

Someone's eBay account got cracked, and the cracker is having a bit of nasty fun at the rightful owner's expense. Perhaps they want the acc't owner to get pounded with perplexing email (note also the "preapproved bidder" requirement demanding that you email the seller for approval to bid!) about this embarrassment of an auction. I really don't know; this one's an odd duck, 'specially with the seller's wealth of positive feedback...

DreaminDirector
Jul 27, 2003, 01:46 PM
I've seen this prototype on the web before. Its just a really cool "sphere" rendering. The feedback looks like it's a legit seller, but look at the specs before.

There not specs! They are just copied directly off the apple online store's options after you select a mac.

Total scam. It's funny to see though....

edit: I just realized that there are two pictures up there. Is the CPU the sphere or the mini tower on the bottom?

jbomber
Jul 27, 2003, 01:53 PM
God... I hate these people.....

applemacdude
Jul 27, 2003, 02:02 PM
Hijacked account? And they havn't taken it down...The designs are kinda ugly too...I rather have the current g5...

SubGothius
Jul 27, 2003, 02:14 PM
...but they include a completely different (and slightly less unrealistic) "speculative rendering" of a G5 at the end of the listing. And WTF's up with all those implied (or not) "features and extras" -- comes with a FibreChannel card (or does it?) and a 30GB iPod (or does it?) and a 17" Studio LCD (or does it?) and a 23" Cinema HD (or does it?), 'cuz the included (or is it?) ADC-to-DVI adapter allows use of two displays (or does it? :-).

Also notice that almost all the seller's feedback is noted "B" for buyer -- this seller has hardly ever sold anything on eBay before! I'm pretty suspicious that their eBay acc't got cracked. Call me a party pooper, but I've notified eBay customer support to take a look at, and perhaps keep an eye on, this VERY fishy-looking auction.

alset
Jul 27, 2003, 02:44 PM
This actually makes me want to bid just to see what happens.

Dan

DakotaGuy
Jul 27, 2003, 03:06 PM
Yeah I noticed that earlier. You would think he would have enough smarts to actually show a G5. I have no idea where in the world he found those pictures. A G5 with a Pentium 4...interesting...LOL

Sun Baked
Jul 27, 2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
Yeah I noticed that earlier. You would think he would have enough smarts to actually show a G5. I have no idea where in the world he found those pictures. A G5 with a Pentium 4...interesting...LOL C'mon think of all the people that were bitching and moaning about the PPC and wishing that Apple would use the x86 chipset. :rolleyes:

Well...

Here it is.

You can now spend cash on your wildest wet dream.

mnkeybsness
Jul 27, 2003, 05:37 PM
everyone send him email and yell at him for abusing ebay. i hate frauds.

Rezet
Jul 27, 2003, 05:45 PM
You can report him in:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/fpp.html

Rezet
Jul 27, 2003, 05:49 PM
After you click the link:

mnkeybsness
Jul 27, 2003, 06:48 PM
i reported it

Golem
Jul 27, 2003, 10:29 PM
I am guessing but would all these recent G5 scams with previously fine ebay accounts be related to the heavy recent activity in spam emails trying to fake ebays log in to steal pw's

rainman::|:|
Jul 27, 2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness

hehe, i did, i got this reply:

Please take a good look at this link and then reply:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

Thanks

With what i presume to be the actual account holder's name attached. Pretty damn funny, the nerve to post an auction like that, then try to use Apple itself to back himself up...

:rolleyes:

pnw

MetallicPenguin
Jul 28, 2003, 09:18 AM
I hate these fake auctions as much as a bag of wet mice, but nonetheless, they are both funny.

Sun Baked
Jul 28, 2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
With what i presume to be the actual account holder's name attached. Pretty damn funny, the nerve to post an auction like that, then try to use Apple itself to back himself up...

:rolleyes:

pnw At least it got pulled.

Glad I didn't e-mail him...

"It's scumbags like you that make serial killers seem like nice guys."

jbomber
Jul 28, 2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness

ebay vigilante-ism. if ebay won't do it, somebody will....

I'm all for it.

Horrortaxi
Jul 28, 2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by alset
This actually makes me want to bid just to see what happens.

You get a cock and bull story about how he can get these computers cheap and pass the savings along to you, but you have to wire him the money (in person at Western Union) and you never see your money or computer again. It's the standard Ebay fraud.

I read a great website by a guy who fell for one of these and he tracked the guy down and coordinated FBI and local police and got the guy busted. I thought I bookmarked it but I can't find it.

Horrortaxi
Jul 28, 2003, 12:34 PM
Aha! I found it. This is a great read.

Mac Addicts to the Rescue (http://www.remodern.com/caught.html)