PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Leopard 9a499 Visual Enhancements

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 27, 2007, 01:36 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ThinkSecret (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0707leopard9a499.html) publishes images and notes from the latest Mac OS X Leopard (9a499) build that was seeded to developers earlier this week.

ThinkSecret describes a number of visual improvements including:

- New Dock separator between Applications and Documents that resembles a crosswalk
- Improved menu bar icons for translucent menu bar
- System Preference icon resembles iPhone's settings icon
- Finder windows can also be set to always show the path of a file

Other changes in the new build include a revamped Users & Groups browser, built-in support for Google Talk in iChat, new view options in iChat, and additional options when right-clicking on the Finder icon in the dock.

Images available (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0707leopard9a499.html) in the original article.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/27/mac-os-x-leopard-9a499-visual-enhancements/)

killmoms
Jul 27, 2007, 01:39 PM

That'll make iBlue happy.

Or, BlueVelvet.

I forget which. :o

FJ218700
Jul 27, 2007, 01:40 PM
getting better,

just need to fix the default folder icons and I'll be happy

killmoms
Jul 27, 2007, 01:43 PM
getting better,

What's wrong with them? Vast improvement over Tiger's. The whole flourishy Aqua thing was definitely getting old. More professional looking.

rendezvouscp
I'm pretty sure the default folder icons are here to stay because almost every custom folder icon has been updated.

I'm sure that once Apple puts all the little pieces together the Leopard interface will look beautiful (although I sure hope they lay off on the window shadows a bit!).
-Chasen

mark!
i hate the blue dots that represent the application being open

xelphy
Jul 27, 2007, 01:44 PM
All -- this new iChat/gmail feature is great... BUT it HAS to come with an iPhone version as well.. I gotta have gmail/iChat on my iPhone...

It's bush league that sidekicks have them and i dont!

Project
Jul 27, 2007, 01:44 PM

I love them.

JonHimself
Jul 27, 2007, 01:45 PM
Even small things like the rounded corners on the box that pops up from right-clicking the Finder icon look very nice, very polished I suppose.

mark!
Jul 27, 2007, 01:46 PM
I love them.

I can see why some people might like them, but to me they look cheap and generic (almost looks like something that should be in vista)

Alloye
Jul 27, 2007, 01:47 PM
What's wrong with them? Vast improvement over Tiger's. The whole flourishy Aqua thing was definitely getting old. More professional looking.

++

I love the new folder icons. :)

gloss
Jul 27, 2007, 01:47 PM
Lookin' purdy. Gotta decide if I wanna get a new iMac when they release and upgrade later, or...

mkrishnan
Jul 27, 2007, 01:48 PM
I was not originally very moved by the new Dock, but I do have to say that the images shown in this post are gorgeous!

vandlism
Jul 27, 2007, 01:48 PM
I believe Abbey Road just secured itself a spot in the Dock, nice.

siurpeeman
Jul 27, 2007, 01:49 PM

I like them. they're like little blue light lights. it's like having christmas lights up all year-round. ;)

Blue Velvet
Jul 27, 2007, 01:49 PM
That'll make iBlue happy.

Or, BlueVelvet.

I forget which. :o

Not me... I know how to use my Mac. :p :D ;)

Killyp
Jul 27, 2007, 01:50 PM
Agreed. I really really hate the open program indicators. Really really generic and naff, this kinda thing would really really irritate me if I couldn't switch them back to the current style (which works absolutely fine).

kungming2
Jul 27, 2007, 01:51 PM
getting better,

I second that. The new ones are garish and hard to differentiate from each other, and just look plain ugly.

zioxide
Jul 27, 2007, 01:53 PM
that system preferences icon is ****ing awful. talk about completely clashing with everything else.

maverick808
Jul 27, 2007, 01:54 PM
I second that. The new ones are garish and hard to differentiate from each other, and just look plain ugly.

I agree, they are all too similar. I don't care though, as I'll just Pixadex or CandyBar them to ones I like.

Markleshark
Jul 27, 2007, 01:59 PM
That there Show Path Bar, it's already in Vista. :p

*Running Away*

morespce54
Jul 27, 2007, 01:59 PM
what's up with the "System Preferences" icon???
I'm sorry but not having an iPhone, I've never seen it before... And I don't like it :( (for now)...

I liked the old one...

EricNau
Jul 27, 2007, 02:00 PM
I wonder what the new airport menu bar icon looks like ...it looked especially horrid before.

KindredMAC
Jul 27, 2007, 02:02 PM
The ONLY negative thing I have has to do with the Monitor Icon in the Finder Bar. Do you think Apple has forgotten that they stopped making that shaped model almost 5 years ago?

I'd like to see the icon get updated to a Cinema Display shape.

dr_lha
Jul 27, 2007, 02:04 PM
that system preferences icon is ****ing awful. talk about completely clashing with everything else.
At least "exposing the gears" makes sense for system preferences. What is the "Apple logo and light switch" supposed to mean?

Wayfarer
Jul 27, 2007, 02:05 PM
Denial > Anger > Bargaining > Depression > Acceptance ;)

Yep, I'm starting to witness some of those changing attitudes. :D

hotdamn
Jul 27, 2007, 02:06 PM
what's up with the "System Preferences" icon??
I'm sorry but not having an iPhone, I've never seen it before... And I don't like it :( (for now)...

I liked the old one...

I have to respectfully disagree. It's so hot, I'd keep it in my dock permanently.

Also, the new Finder features (path!) are like christmas come early.
Not too hot on "Abbey Road" (I laughed) just yet.

Plus before you edited it, you said it clashed with everything else... well let me tell you my friend, that Exposť icon better not be final (neither the non-anti-aliased scrollbars). I love how they're unifying their GUIs even across mutliple "platforms" so to say.

daneoni
Jul 27, 2007, 02:09 PM
Tiger with UNO still looks prettier

mkrishnan
The ONLY negative thing I have has to do with the Monitor Icon in the Finder Bar. Do you think Apple has forgotten that they stopped making that shaped model almost 5 years ago?

That's a fair point... of course, you could probably change it in fifteen minutes yourself. ;)

Wayfarer

I disgree! The System Prefs icon has always been the same since the introduction of OS X. It's about time for a refresh. I really like the new icon with gears... very tasteful and straightforward. I love it. :)

iJawn108
Jul 27, 2007, 02:18 PM
There's two sets of default folder icons, one slate coloured and the other sand.

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/7207/picture1vn2.png

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7972/picture2yo4.png

I personally love them(and have been using the blue set).

gloss
Jul 27, 2007, 02:21 PM
Very clean, I must admit.

AutumnSkyline
Jul 27, 2007, 02:21 PM

*Running Away*

And it was in NExtStep before vista :p

EricNau
Jul 27, 2007, 02:23 PM
Is there a special utilities folder (finally)?

chrisgeleven
Jul 27, 2007, 02:23 PM
Didn't know there were two sets of icons. Both look very clean and nice.

October can't come soon enough.

mkrishnan
Jul 27, 2007, 02:24 PM
There's two sets of default folder icons, one slate coloured and the other sand.

Are these from Leopard, or where did they come from? They're very nice! :)

Clive At Five
Jul 27, 2007, 02:25 PM
Ooh, I like the separator... Do I see "Etched Glass" becoming a new Apple Theme???

hehe

-Clive

MacPossum
Jul 27, 2007, 02:26 PM
I disgree! The System Prefs icon has always been the same since the introduction of OS X. It's about time for a refresh. I really like the new icon with gears... very tasteful and straightforward. I love it. :)

I have to agree with you! I really like the new icon... I'll put it back on my dock!

Tomaz
Jul 27, 2007, 02:27 PM
Now they only have to make the windows resizeable from all sides and corners like windows and I'm really happy with the new finder!

Osarkon
Jul 27, 2007, 02:27 PM
At this rate it's going to be harder than I thought to resist buying Leopard the day it comes out.

The dock is looking very nice at the moment it has to be said. Not so sure about the icon set, but that doesn't bother me that much anyway.

trevorlsciact
Jul 27, 2007, 02:30 PM
I like them. they're like little blue light lights. it's like having christmas lights up all year-round. ;)

I didn't kno Steve was a redneck :confused: ;)

:apple:

Peace
Jul 27, 2007, 02:31 PM
The new system preferences icon goes hand in hand with the iPhone ;)

mark!
Jul 27, 2007, 02:31 PM

YES a folder set that comes with mac that isn't freaking blue

Cameront9
Jul 27, 2007, 02:33 PM
Still missing rounded corners in the menu bar. :( Only thing I miss...

bigandy
Jul 27, 2007, 02:37 PM

*Running Away*

*slap*

You've been told about that, damnit :p

Schtumple
Jul 27, 2007, 02:40 PM
The trash icon really needs to be made 2D, it's inconsistent.

The folder icon icons (the indented bits) should be made darker, its too bland at the moment.

The blue dot should be made white not blue, it would work with any coloured desktop then, par that, its perfect :P

inkswamp
Jul 27, 2007, 02:51 PM
Tiger with UNO still looks prettier

Yeah, and the kernel panics that UNO causes every now and then is super pretty. :rolleyes:

Goldcard
Jul 27, 2007, 02:52 PM

The folder icon icons (the indented bits) should be made darker, its too bland at the moment.

The blue dot should be made white not blue, it would work with any coloured desktop then, par that, its perfect :P

nah, i think the "blue dot" will have the option to be set by the user just like the "highlight" color in Tiger, or even be part of the highlight color. I"m assuming you could pick from red, orange, blue, green, etc, just like in Tiger when you scroll over a screen while pushing F9 or when highlighting a webpage in safari.

inkswamp
Jul 27, 2007, 02:53 PM

I don't know what people are complaining about. Those are amazing looking.

Chef Medeski
Jul 27, 2007, 02:54 PM

Oh so just make a box within another box. Yes.... thats much nicer.

metallicaisgood
Jul 27, 2007, 02:55 PM
Are the scroll bars still the blue ones from tiger?

Lynxpoint
Jul 27, 2007, 02:56 PM
I agree, they are all too similar. I don't care though, as I'll just Pixadex or CandyBar them to ones I like.

I concur. The way things look, Candybar and Shapeshifter will remain an integral part of the "Mac Experience" for me.

gleepskip
Jul 27, 2007, 03:02 PM
If you sign up for the Select membership online, do you get immediate access to the beta or do you have to wait for the kit to arrive in the mail? I'd like to know since I'd have time to install it this weekend on up to 3 machines. Once the workweek starts again, it will be hard to devote time to it.

Opinions?

twoodcc
Jul 27, 2007, 03:03 PM
leopard is looking better and better! can't wait for it :cool:

guzhogi
Jul 27, 2007, 03:06 PM

I agree. The new icons look like System 7 or 8/9 icons. I actually liked the Aqua folders.

motulist
Jul 27, 2007, 03:06 PM
Still missing rounded corners in the menu bar. :( Only thing I miss...

I totally disagree. Those rounded corners have been around for so long that I haven't really noticed them in ages. But now that it's being changed it makes me actually think about them again, and I have to say the rounded screen corners look ridiculously antiquated. It makes your high tech LCD look like it's actually an old CRT TV monitor which used to have rounded corners simply because the technology couldn't do sharp corners.

When people were still afraid of computers, the round corners reminded them of a their TV sets and made the computer look more approachable. In 2007 where even TVs haven't had rounded corners for at least a decade, the rounded computer edges just look really old.

Evangelion
Jul 27, 2007, 03:14 PM
Agreed. I really really hate the open program indicators. Really really generic and naff, this kinda thing would really really irritate me if I couldn't switch them back to the current style (which works absolutely fine).

i would say that the current black triangles are "generic and naff".

GeeYouEye
Jul 27, 2007, 03:16 PM
Try looking having a desktop background that shows the Orion Nebula, and see if you still like the blue dot/lights. Completely indistinguishable from stars.

To me, most of the desktop changes scream trying too hard. While the shelf metaphor for the dock works when it's on the bottom, what about when it's on the side of the screen? Have you ever known a shelf to behave like that IRL? I don't think so. Translucent menu bar... seriously, what's the point?

The Abbey Road separator is a nice touch though... doesn't take up any extra space. Maybe they can time the release of the Beatles catalog on iTunes with the release of Leopard.

The brown folders do look better than the blue. But at low resolution they still look like opaque, slightly distorted throwbacks to System 6, minus the ability to see that a folder is open.

Don't think much of the System Prefs icon, but it's no worse than the current one. Gears don't say preferences, gears say clockwork, behind-the-scenes. A bunch of knobs, buttons, and switches are a much better indicator. One switch, with a huge self-indulgent Apple logo, is just ambiguous.

Mac OS X Ocelot
Jul 27, 2007, 03:16 PM

*****. Ugly.

daneoni
Jul 27, 2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah, and the kernel panics that UNO causes every now and then is super pretty. :rolleyes:

Speak for yourself :rolleyes:. UNO has NEVER caused me a KP :p

GeeYouEye
Jul 27, 2007, 03:19 PM
Huh... that's odd... connect.apple.com, where ADC members download stuff, is down for maintenance. I've never, ever seen it down for maintenance before; new downloads have always shown up spontaneously...

verniesgarden
Jul 27, 2007, 03:22 PM
am i too optimistic to still hope that tabs will make it into finder?

Analog Kid
Jul 27, 2007, 03:23 PM
Oh yeah, Path Bar! I was wondering how long it was going to take the Apple engineers to realize that what's good for Spotlight is good for Finder...

I'm not a big fan of a lot of the GUI changes yet, but maybe it's just an innate fear of change. The Dock doesn't look like a flat table to me, it looks like the icons should slide off. I don't want blinkenlites on my Dock, I'd rather they darken the icon's that aren't in use. Do they fade the icons of hidden apps yet or will I need to keep using TinkerTool to make that one simple change?

I don't like the new folder icons-- there's not enough visual distinction between different folders which is going to make it hard to spot the one I want scrolling through the finder. Sand is nicer than blue though, methinks. I agree with whoever said the new SysPref icon clashes.

I still don't like the transparent menu, but I think I heard you could make it opaque so I won't complain here. Transparency is nice when it's used right, but it makes everything look kind of dirty and hard to read if it isn't...

Eraserhead
Jul 27, 2007, 03:24 PM
I don't know what people are complaining about. Those are amazing looking.

I like them too, though the transparent menubar has to go.

Tsurisuto
Jul 27, 2007, 03:27 PM
Are the scroll bars still the blue ones from tiger?

I have always hoped that Apple would allow users to change the scroll bars to the colour of their choice.

iJawn108
Jul 27, 2007, 03:30 PM
Is there a special utilities folder (finally)?

Yes

iJawn108
Jul 27, 2007, 03:31 PM
Are these from Leopard, or where did they come from? They're very nice! :)

Yes I have many many more from Leopard also, infact my entire system is leopard default icons.;)

Adam Betts
Jul 27, 2007, 03:32 PM

I agree completely but for the time being you could use this temporary Display menubar icon I made

http://artofadambetts.com/menupreview.png

http://artofadambetts.com/leopard.html

lazyrighteye
Jul 27, 2007, 03:33 PM

Except the iPhone... which may be more of a visual indicator (even hardware indicator) than some many realize.
Stay tuned.

Alloye
Jul 27, 2007, 03:34 PM
If you sign up for the Select membership online, do you get immediate access to the beta or do you have to wait for the kit to arrive in the mail?

It's not exactly immediate. Once you purchase your membership, you'll receive an activation code via e-mail in about 24-48 hours.

bellicelli
Jul 27, 2007, 03:35 PM
Anyone know if spring-loaded dock folders are in the current releases? I think this was announced last summer, but I haven't heard anything since.

lazyrighteye
Jul 27, 2007, 03:35 PM

I've been thinking that for a while myself.
Possible we see this icon change by GM to maybe reflect the look of the next displays?

metallicaisgood
Jul 27, 2007, 03:36 PM
I have always hoped that Apple would allow users to change the scroll bars to the colour of their choice.

That certainly would be cool. Another choice I'd like in the scroll bar is an iTunes like one. Which I'm guessing will be there in the final product.

iarejedi
Jul 27, 2007, 03:40 PM
Is there a way to turn off the transparent menu bar yet?

iJawn108
Jul 27, 2007, 03:41 PM
Leopard Set coming up for download in like 2 min :D

dejo
Jul 27, 2007, 03:41 PM
Yikes! The amount of NDA violations going on in this thread is pretty scary.

Peace
Jul 27, 2007, 03:45 PM
I have found no brown folder icons in the official leopard seed I have.

Tsurisuto
Jul 27, 2007, 03:51 PM
That certainly would be cool. Another choice I'd like in the scroll bar is an iTunes like one. Which I'm guessing will be there in the final product.

NO! I hate the iTunes scroll bar! I agree the current ones need to change, but a compromise needs to be made between the two.

iJawn108
Jul 27, 2007, 03:54 PM
http://i19.tinypic.com/62ekk8l

100 download limit so I ask someone else up it to share with everyone later.

Leopard Icon Set(142) Leopard Wallpapers(7) Leopard MovieTime Widget(1) (http://download.yousendit.com/45EA5CC06250CEEA)

Some_Big_Spoon
Jul 27, 2007, 03:55 PM
I believe they're supposed to be little spotlights shining up from the glass floor of the dock. Like the kind that you see used to illuminate flags or statues; embedded in the ground.

Peace
Jul 27, 2007, 03:56 PM

Leopard Icon Set(142) Leopard Wallpapers(7) Leopard MovieTime Widget(1) (http://download.yousendit.com/45EA5CC06250CEEA)

Dude that isn't even the new Leopard finder.

hehehe

iJawn108
Jul 27, 2007, 03:57 PM
I don't have leopard, never claimed that.

Peace
Jul 27, 2007, 04:00 PM
Yes

Yes I have many many more from Leopard also, infact my entire system is leopard default icons.;)

I don't have leopard, never claimed that.

You sure implied you did.
:rolleyes:

delete as necessary but I DO have Leopard.Legally and the brown icons are NOT in Leopard

MacGeek Pro
Jul 27, 2007, 04:02 PM

Dude, major NDA violation on your part. But I downloaded anyway :) Thanks!

iJawn108
Jul 27, 2007, 04:02 PM
You sure implied you did.
:rolleyes:
Ohh well maybe looking back now :(

I wish I would have gotten ADC last august like I was thinking about.

hotdamn
Jul 27, 2007, 04:06 PM
People still bitchin' about the transparent Menu Bar have apparently never actually used Leopard.

Oh and Tsurisuto, I am sure Apple really cares what you do or do not like. If you don't like the iTunes scrollbars, don't use it or change it. (here's a hint: UNO). They def need to replace the Aqua scrollbars. They look out of place with the new folder icons/darker overall tone.

Also, the icons for the harddisk need to be re-done. (have I mentioned the exsposť icon?)

Sbrocket
Jul 27, 2007, 04:08 PM

That isn't even Leopard. Stop posting ridiculousness. :rolleyes:

Analog Kid
Jul 27, 2007, 04:19 PM
People still bitchin' about the transparent Menu Bar have apparently never actually used Leopard.
Right. That would be most of us...
Oh and Tsurisuto, I am sure Apple really cares what you do or do not like. If you don't like the iTunes scrollbars, don't use it or change it. (here's a hint: UNO). They def need to replace the Aqua scrollbars. They look out of place with the new folder icons/darker overall tone.
Is it just Tsurisuto that Apple doesn't care about, or do they have a list of users they ignore? I didn't see where he cc'd Apple on his comments, so I kinda figured he was talking to us...

defeated
it must be nice to copy features from vista and linux while bragging about being innovative. haha
http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/07/leopardbar.jpg
http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-12/images/nautilus-browse.png
http://www.gregcons.com/KateBlog/content/binary/vista%20explore.gif

Apple fans can stop whining about photocopy machine now.:p

iJawn108
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7570/picture1un0.png
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/425/picture2og9.png
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/6676/picture3lo3.png
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/3553/picture4ld1.png
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7499/picture5po2.png
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7894/picture6vd8.png

shawnce
Jul 27, 2007, 04:23 PM
it must be nice to copy features from vista and linux while bragging about being innovative. ... Apple fans can stop whining about photocopy machine now.:p

I guess you never saw that type of path display in sherlock, etc. from Mac OS 9 and earlier?

...not that I really care about stupid statements about who is copying who...

Peace
Jul 27, 2007, 04:24 PM
Man I give up on you.

Please stop posting icons you call Leopard icons that are NOT in Leopard.

Tsurisuto
Jul 27, 2007, 04:25 PM
Right. That would be most of us...Is it just Tsurisuto that Apple doesn't care about, or do they have a list of users they ignore? I didn't see where he cc'd Apple on his comments, so I kinda figured he was talking to us...

Thanks man.

corywoolf
Jul 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
Cool, but how have they still not updated the old school aqua scroll bar? It's such a no brainer, keep it consistent with iTunes. :confused:

lazyrighteye
Jul 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
I agree completely but for the time being you could use this temporary Display menubar icon I made

http://artofadambetts.com/menupreview.png

http://artofadambetts.com/leopard.html

Nice take on an updated display icon. Jives well with current form factors.
Tho, can't help but wonder what the next displays will look like.
Would be kind of cool (if only on an incredibly dorky level) if Leopard's display icon was upgraded to reflect the look of Apple's next displays - before they ship.

OK. So I'm bored...

AutumnSkyline
Jul 27, 2007, 04:32 PM
it must be nice to copy features from vista and linux while bragging about being innovative. haha

I said it before, I'll say it again, folder paths were in the NextStep, which Steve founded in the 80's. It's amazing the knowledge that Apple Fanboys have about their company :rolleyes:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h82/Antaries/768px-NeXTSTEP_desktop.jpg

Wayfarer
Jul 27, 2007, 04:33 PM
OMG! The ridiculousness and untastefulness of this thread is reaching extreme heights. :eek:

But I really love the new Leopard icons. ;)

And kudos to Atumn Skyline for pointing that out! I deem Mac superior once again. :)

Tsurisuto
Jul 27, 2007, 04:33 PM
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7499/picture5po2.png

I really like the "sand" colour folders, and will definitely install them when I get Leopard.

mdriftmeyer
Jul 27, 2007, 04:34 PM

Those are very nice.

They could extend them to visually coordinate with access control lists. By appearance you can determine whether in a large network you can determine what "group" that folder belongs under and the lock icon set or unset based upon your own permissions within that group folder.

iJawn108
Jul 27, 2007, 04:36 PM
Man I give up on you.

Please stop posting icons you call Leopard icons that are NOT in Leopard.

Do you work for apple or something?

Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

Peace
Jul 27, 2007, 04:45 PM

Lets say I know more about Leopard than you apparently do.

Lyra
Jul 27, 2007, 04:45 PM
I love them.

I second that...

I love em too!

But at this point, all of that is redundant if the system is too heavy and slow... So.. I'd rather have speed over beauty at this point. I love the new look, I really love it, but I'd like to live in a Sci Fi world where that also gives us an OS environment without any spinning beach balls and a fast UI.

seenew
Jul 27, 2007, 04:46 PM
I hate the transparent menu bar.

lazyrighteye
Jul 27, 2007, 04:47 PM

While I do not work for Apple, I have a hard time believing those are Leopard icons (or, I guess I should be more specific and say come bundled with Apple's next opperating system, 10.5).
If so, they look absolutely grotesque.

Wayfarer
Jul 27, 2007, 04:52 PM
Lets say I know more about Leopard than you apparently do.

Hmm... you confuse me. Care to elaborate?

Those new folder icons are apparently in the official pics of Leopard.

volk
Jul 27, 2007, 04:55 PM
I like many of the new interface elements of Leopard, but not the icons. I actually really like my current Tiger desktop with Crystal Clear dark installed and some custom icons.

I wish I knew more about performance issues with Leopard, because right now, I don't really have a compelling reason to upgrade if it doesn't have a marked speed increase on my Intel iMac.

tomd89
Jul 27, 2007, 04:57 PM
love the public generic PC icon, with the blue screen of death.

ortuno2k
Jul 27, 2007, 05:07 PM
I like the subtle changes.
Making progress, October is not too far!!!

Peace
Jul 27, 2007, 05:08 PM
Look people the only reason I'm bringing up the subject is because some ( if not a great majority ) of those icons are not in Leopard.Period.They might be in the future.Who knows.

By posting mock-ups an/or ideas from some PS geek it gives the wrong impression of Leopard.Plus the fact that MacRumors is a busy and a very high profile website.It doesn't help arn or MR to be posting stuff that hasn't been or may never be released to the public.

Lets all just wait for Apple to "officially" release any screen grabs or pics of the GUI..

It's coming in October so we don't have long to wait.

Conjecture doesn't help at this stage as Apple is working very hard at getting out some great stuff over the next couple of months.

simontarr
Jul 27, 2007, 05:18 PM
I do like the new icons....but I just wonder what they will look like in real-world situations ie. when they are small. They look great at 128x128 or whatever res they are, but scale them down to the size I will look at them while I'm working...will they be as nice and easily distinguishable from one another?

Can anyone who has been testing Leopard tell us what they are like small?

ghall
Jul 27, 2007, 05:20 PM

I liked the old one...

Agreed!

I've used Leopard *ahem* and I can't stand the menu bar. I think it's a bit too transparent.

pknz
Jul 27, 2007, 05:23 PM
...It doesn't help arn or MR to be posting stuff that hasn't been or may never be released to the public.

MacRumors

offwidafairies
Jul 27, 2007, 05:30 PM
Denial > Anger > Bargaining > Depression > Acceptance ;)

Yep, I'm starting to witness some of those changing attitudes. :D

hee hee. ditto :p
i quite like it and am excited... october is getting closer by the minute :)

guzhogi
Jul 27, 2007, 05:32 PM

If that's Leopard, where's the Cover Flow view option? @ WWDC, SJ showed how you can use Cover Flow in the Finder, but in your pic, they only have the old 3.

kungming2
Jul 27, 2007, 05:36 PM
If that's Leopard, where's the Cover Flow view option? @ WWDC, SJ showed how you can use Cover Flow in the Finder, but in your pic, they only have the old 3.

The user later said that he didn't have Leopard, just some icons.

Wayfarer
Jul 27, 2007, 05:36 PM

*Sigh* ...That is NOT Leopard! It's actually Tiger, customized in the picture to make it look like Leopard. Yeah, apparently it may confuse some people. Bad idea, I'd say. :mad:

Lets all just wait for Apple to "officially" release any screen grabs or pics of the GUI..

It's coming in October so we don't have long to wait.

Conjecture doesn't help at this stage as Apple is working very hard at getting out some great stuff over the next couple of months.

You made a good point and I agree 100%. I'm sick of all these images being quoted all over the place. Let's hold on for the real thing and save all the pointless blabber for that! I'm really looking forward to Leopard.

Cloudsurfer
Jul 27, 2007, 05:37 PM
That crosswalk thing sucks. Otherwise, nice updates. Looking forward to 10.5.

Dagless
Jul 27, 2007, 05:38 PM
I'm really liking the look of Leopard. I hope it's faster on my C2D than Tiger is now. What was once snappy now feels slower. I doubt it'll run that great on my PowerBook...

curmi
Jul 27, 2007, 05:38 PM
I've used Leopard *ahem* and I can't stand the menu bar. I think it's a bit too transparent.

The bigger problem with the menu bar is that when you click on a menu, the drop down menu is not translucent (which is great) but the menu bar remains translucent. It looks unfinished and jarring (as do the HUGE shadows on windows that jump out when you switch applications).

If Apple have to have the translucent menu bar (and I also don't like it) they should at least make it fade to non-translucent when the mouse enters the menu bar, and stay that way until the mouse moves away, or a menu item is selected.

That's the attention to detail you expect from Apple. Or maybe "expected" from Apple - personally I think Leopard is a mess of styles and experiments gone wrong, and that's probably because Apple took all the resources away to work on the iPhone and left a skeleton team of people to continue work on Leopard without real UI supervision.

The new folder icons look fantastic... at > 128x128. At anything smaller they are hard to distinguish from each other. That's an example of style over substance once again. As are the small lights to indicate running apps on the Dock - that's an obvious problem that has been mentioned by numerous people since WWDC, yet Apple didn't fix it for this build either...

And the Leopard background (wet grass) is awful. Wet grass has nothing to do with a desktop - which is why an abstract look was always a better initial choice. That image looks like something from XP or Vista, and the water droplets look a lot like the little lights on the Dock which add to more confusion because of the reflections in the Dock. When Steve showed the desktop at WWDC everyone laughed - me too, I thought he was making a Vista joke. That should have been a wake up call to him and the developers on Leopard, but apparently not.

BenRoethig
Jul 27, 2007, 05:40 PM
It's about time they got a path bar in the finder.

benspratling
Jul 27, 2007, 05:44 PM
getting better,

no kidding, those folder icons are terrible!

and i really hate those "professional" colors!

iPoodOverZune
Jul 27, 2007, 06:04 PM

I liked the old one...

Its really aweful! I tried to like it but I still hate it! Looks much like the icon from windows services in control panel

mark88
Jul 27, 2007, 06:07 PM
I like the rounded corners on contextual menus!

Menu bar still isn't doing it for me though!

Path's in Finder, yaaaay!

hotdamn
Jul 27, 2007, 06:09 PM
The bigger problem with the menu bar is that when you click on a menu, the drop down menu is not translucent (which is great) but the menu bar remains translucent. It looks unfinished and jarring (as do the HUGE shadows on windows that jump out when you switch applications).

If Apple have to have the translucent menu bar (and I also don't like it) they should at least make it fade to non-translucent when the mouse enters the menu bar, and stay that way until the mouse moves away, or a menu item is selected.

That's the attention to detail you expect from Apple. Or maybe "expected" from Apple - personally I think Leopard is a mess of styles and experiments gone wrong, and that's probably because Apple took all the resources away to work on the iPhone and left a skeleton team of people to continue work on Leopard without real UI supervision.

The new folder icons look fantastic... at > 128x128. At anything smaller they are hard to distinguish from each other. That's an example of style over substance once again. As are the small lights to indicate running apps on the Dock - that's an obvious problem that has been mentioned by numerous people since WWDC, yet Apple didn't fix it for this build either...

And the Leopard background (wet grass) is awful. Wet grass has nothing to do with a desktop - which is why an abstract look was always a better initial choice. That image looks like something from XP or Vista, and the water droplets look a lot like the little lights on the Dock which add to more confusion because of the reflections in the Dock. When Steve showed the desktop at WWDC everyone laughed - me too, I thought he was making a Vista joke. That should have been a wake up call to him and the developers on Leopard, but apparently not.

Stop speaking for everyone. I personally love Leopard.

I am sure there'll be enough cool .apps for the ubergeeks to change Leopard to look like they want it to. All the bitching won't change anything.
If you don't like the transparent menu bar, go paint a white strip under it with photoshop.
If you don't like the grass desktop - CHANGE IT.
How does wet grass not have anything to do with a desktop? what kind of logic is that? does someone's girlfriend have more to do with a desktop? or a picture of the earth?
I have a beach as my desktop. May I please keep it?

Oh it looks unfinished? Uhm, it's a BETA.

guzhogi
Jul 27, 2007, 06:10 PM
The user later said that he didn't have Leopard, just some icons.

My bad. Didn't read all the posts. Icons look cool except for the folders. Too OS 7 for me.

inkswamp
Jul 27, 2007, 06:19 PM
Yikes! The amount of NDA violations going on in this thread is pretty scary.

Isn't it great? :D

curmi
Jul 27, 2007, 06:20 PM
Stop speaking for everyone. I personally love Leopard.

I am sure there'll be enough cool .apps for the ubergeeks to change Leopard to look like they want it to. All the bitching won't change anything.
If you don't like the transparent menu bar, go paint a white strip under it with photoshop.
If you don't like the grass desktop - CHANGE IT.
How does wet grass not have anything to do with a desktop? what kind of logic is that? does someone's girlfriend have more to do with a desktop? or a picture of the earth?
I have a beach as my desktop. May I please keep it?

Oh it looks unfinished? Uhm, it's a BETA.

Sometimes it can be useful to not just be a fan boy and accept blindly everything Apple does as being great just because Apple does it.

hotdamn
Jul 27, 2007, 06:23 PM
This is me totally not being a fanboy. I really honestly TOTALLY like leopard and I would prefer it stayed that way instead of Apple listening to a few forum know-it-alls.
My statement still stands, you can't please everybody. I happen to be pleased - I won't be arguing with someone who says "wet grass" is not a desktop.

What if I have like... 3000 little tiny black triangles as my desktop, does that make Tiger's Dock symbols suck too?
And even if I look like a jerk, I think I am making very valid points.

Also, I think if you have such a hard time figuring out what apps are running in Leopard, please, treat yourself to a pair of glasses or check the gamma settings on your screen. Any healthy adult should be able to see the lights.

kungming2
Jul 27, 2007, 06:31 PM

Everyone has their own opinions on what looks good as a desktop background - I for one, think the wet grass looks gorgeous. Everybody has a different taste. If Apple made the wet grass the ONLY background, that would be something to complain about. If you don't like it, just change it! No big deal.

Nature pictures have been in OS's since back in the 90s. Nothing "copycatting" there. And Vista's default wallpaper is abstract.

inkswamp
Jul 27, 2007, 06:36 PM

Beyond being wrong about this fact (as has already been pointed out with the NeXT example), I would take issue with the whole concept of having file paths in windows being "innovative." Just seems kind of obvious to me. Apple has thus far avoided adding it because they err on the side of simplicity.

Besides, ever since the days of the classic Mac OS in the mid-90s, you could Apple+click on a Finder window's title and it would pop-up a file path (still works in OS X too), so even without invoking NeXT, you're still wrong about Linux and Vista getting to this "innovation" first. :rolleyes:

curmi
Jul 27, 2007, 06:42 PM
Everyone has their own opinions on what looks good as a desktop background - I for one, think the wet grass looks gorgeous. Everybody has a different taste. If Apple made the wet grass the ONLY background, that would be something to complain about. If you don't like it, just change it! No big deal.

I agree kungming2. Except that I question whether it is really good first impression for most people. The whole "green grass" thing was done with XP, and OS X stood out with it's abstract background that arguably had a more professional look. People at WWDC laughed at Leopard, because it looked like Windows. Sure, you can change it. But you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

I respect that you (and some others) like it though.

hotdamn
Jul 27, 2007, 06:51 PM
http://images.apple.com/server/macosx/leopard/images/icalserver_hero_20070608.jpg

I'd take this over tiger any day.
(yes I do realize it's leopard server.)
... and this doesn't even have the new system pref icon. I seriously can't believe how awesome this is going to look. Let's stop the bitching and all just hope that it's gonna be pretty and functional and everything we hoped for until it's out and we can actually judge for ourselves if it works out for us or not?

farmboy
Jul 27, 2007, 07:00 PM
Try looking having a desktop background that shows the Orion Nebula, and see if you still like the blue dot/lights. Completely indistinguishable from stars.

Don't think much of the System Prefs icon, but it's no worse than the current one. Gears don't say preferences, gears say clockwork, behind-the-scenes. A bunch of knobs, buttons, and switches are a much better indicator. One switch, with a huge self-indulgent Apple logo, is just ambiguous.

:confused: Orion Nebula? And how many people use *that*? Besides, it probably changes with the selection color.

:eek: Oh yeah, easy to distinguish "a bunch of knobs, buttons and switches" in a half-inch by half-inch icon. Don't go into graphic design.

hotdamn
Jul 27, 2007, 07:10 PM
:confused: Orion Nebula? And how many people use *that*? Besides, it probably changes with the selection color.

People who like Space? Isn't Leopard supposed to conquer Time and Space(s)? ;)

As of the current beta, the light indicators remained light blue no matter what.

rendezvouscp
Jul 27, 2007, 07:17 PM
Also, I think if you have such a hard time figuring out what apps are running in Leopard, please, treat yourself to a pair of glasses or check the gamma settings on your screen. Any healthy adult should be able to see the lights.

Okay, I was agreeing with you up to this point. I'm 18 years old, 20/15 vision, and sometimes I have a hard time seeing the lights. They're not *that* visible compared to the black triangles.
-Chasen

hotdamn
Jul 27, 2007, 07:19 PM
ok this is a weird argument, but bear with me:

If you make a conscious effort to check if an app is running, you do see them, right?

I think that "at a glance" the black from Tiger is just as bad if you have a dark background. plus, the new ones are bigger.

farmboy
Jul 27, 2007, 07:21 PM
I like the rounded corners on contextual menus!

Menu bar still isn't doing it for me though!

Path's in Finder, yaaaay!

Ummm..don't you and Ben ever play around with your Mac? The paths have been there for years! Hold down your command key and click on the icon in your folder or document header bar. I think this has been mentioned before.

rendezvouscp
Jul 27, 2007, 07:24 PM
If you make a conscious effort to check if an app is running, you do see them, right?

Definitely. It's just that sometimes they blend in a bit too much with the reflections and everything else that's going on in the Dock, and I can understand why people can have issues with the lights.
-Chasen

curmi
Jul 27, 2007, 07:28 PM
ok this is a weird argument, but bear with me:

I think that "at a glance" the black from Tiger is just as bad if you have a dark background. plus, the new ones are bigger.

But they are more easily seen in Tiger, because of the contrast difference. So, the result is less usable than what was in Tiger.

And no, a dark background in Tiger does not have that issue. Try it - set your background to black in Tiger. Unless you've installed something to remove the dock background, you can clearly see the black triangles on the Dock, no matter what colour background.

DHagan4755
Jul 27, 2007, 07:28 PM
Is it me, or should the path be at the top of the window and on by default?

hotdamn
Jul 27, 2007, 07:37 PM
Is it me, or should the path be at the top of the window and on by default?

Not unless this is Windows.

curmi: you're right. I spoke to soon.
Still liking the lights though ;)

kungming2
Jul 27, 2007, 08:04 PM
I agree kungming2. Except that I question whether it is really good first impression for most people. The whole "green grass" thing was done with XP, and OS X stood out with it's abstract background that arguably had a more professional look. People at WWDC laughed at Leopard, because it looked like Windows. Sure, you can change it. But you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

I respect that you (and some others) like it though.

True, true. Which makes me think that with Leopard, Apple is really going for the consumer, who usually doesn't really look to see something as being professional. After all, Apple has been touting the Mac for consumers in the "Get a Mac" ads, (notice no mention of Adobe CS3 or numerous other productivity tools) and no mention of the many powerful features of Mac OS X. Same thing with Leopard, I guess - features are touted as being beneficial to consumers, like the new Finder, Time Machine, and Spaces.

And maybe Vista tried to copy Tiger's abstract desktop as well, among numerous others.

Quillz
Jul 27, 2007, 08:04 PM
I like the improvements made to the UI, I'm also (one of the few?) who likes the transparent menu bar.

Counter
Jul 27, 2007, 08:09 PM
The overall look is uninspired. It's something here, something there. It's not tied in. It makes me think about an hour has been spent on Leopards GUI. Of course Apple has admitted themselves they were overstretched because of the iPhone, and yeah...I'll go with that...but...bleh. Still looking forward to the finished thing.

Counter
Jul 27, 2007, 08:14 PM
Ummm..don't you and Ben ever play around with your Mac? The paths have been there for years! Hold down your command key and click on the icon in your folder or document header bar. I think this has been mentioned before.

Or you can option/right click the folder toolbar and customise it, and then add the 'Paths' button.

mahonmeister
Jul 27, 2007, 08:14 PM
I seriously can't believe how awesome this is going to look. Let's stop the bitching and all just hope that it's gonna be pretty and functional and everything we hoped for until it's out and we can actually judge for ourselves if it works out for us or not?Exactly.

All these small improvements are looking really sweet. All we need now is some updated desktop hardware and we're set!:D

curmi
Jul 27, 2007, 08:21 PM
The overall look is uninspired. It's something here, something there. It's not tied in. It makes me think about an hour has been spent on Leopards GUI. Of course Apple has admitted themselves they were overstretched because of the iPhone, and yeah...I'll go with that...but...bleh. Still looking forward to the finished thing.

Agreed totally.

Don't get me wrong, I still want and will buy Leopard. However, the look and feel is patchy, and overall it doesn't look or feel like a huge leap above Vista, and probably won't slow Windows adoption as much as a real kick-arse L&F might have.

Fukui
Jul 27, 2007, 08:28 PM

Yea, thats the real problem, the icons on the folders are *too* subtle unless you zoom them up real big...

cheunghy
Jul 27, 2007, 08:29 PM
What? They still keep that Exposť icon?!? It's the ugliest Apple-made icon, ever!

Fukui
Jul 27, 2007, 08:29 PM
It makes me think about an hour has been spent on Leopards GUI.
Yea, thats about right.

ventro
Jul 27, 2007, 09:49 PM
The reason Leopard looks so ugly is because the traditional OSX UI team was busy working on the iPhone whilst Leopard was being developed. So they brought in a lesser team to pull up the slack in their place, and the result is the crap-fest UI we see today.

age234
Jul 27, 2007, 10:06 PM
Agreed totally.

Don't get me wrong, I still want and will buy Leopard. However, the look and feel is patchy, and overall it doesn't look or feel like a huge leap above Vista, and probably won't slow Windows adoption as much as a real kick-arse L&F might have.

I personally don't accept the premise that Leopard has to make a big leap over Vista visually at all.

What is Vista's UI? Shiny plastic, gaudy transparency, fancy animations. All that has been in OS X for over half a decade. In fact, Apple has moved on from that. Vista is 5 years behind while Apple is leading on to different things.

I think that's what's driving the simple gradients of the folders and making everything more low-key. Most things are a pendulum. It swung way to one side with Aqua, now it's swinging back to a more low-key look aimed at productivity.

Microsoft's pendulum seems to be in the exact opposite swing, but with time Windows users will get tired of the effects and Microsoft will swing back to something simpler.

People have seen Aqua and that whole sort of look, it's not amazing anymore. It's very early-2000s. It's not in style anymore. They spiced up the Dock a little, but on the whole Apple is reeling things back in.

And for those who hate it, there will be plenty of hacks to make things exactly how you want them, just as there always has been.

Fukui
Jul 27, 2007, 10:15 PM
I personally don't accept the premise that Leopard has to make a big leap over Vista visually at all.

Microsoft's pendulum seems to be in the exact opposite swing, but with time Windows users will get tired of the effects and Microsoft will swing back to something simpler.
People have seen Aqua and that whole sort of look, it's not amazing anymore. It's very early-2000s. It's not in style anymore. They spiced up the Dock a little, but on the whole Apple is reeling things back in.

Thats fine and all, but the new theme has to be *better.*
The key word is better....

Right now, its a mishmash, of gaudy (menu bar, dock, desktop background), subtle (folder icons, loss of pinstripes), dark (toolbars, metal buttons), and aqua (standard buttons, original/app icons).

This is hardly "Unified" its frankenstein.

Alloye
Jul 27, 2007, 10:15 PM
There's a lot of subjectivity in this thread, so I may as well add my own...

I happen to think Leopard looks great with one exception: The translucent menu bar! It's not quite as bad as the exceedingly ugly Window borders of Vista's Aero, but it's a close second.

Other than that, Leopard really makes Tiger look dated. It's like the Jaguar -> Panther jump. Once you've used Leopard for a while, Tiger just doesn't cut it anymore.

BTW, I use Vista, Tiger, and Leopard on a daily basis, so my opinion is based on real use rather than screenshots.

curmi
Jul 27, 2007, 10:17 PM
I think that's what's driving the simple gradients of the folders and making everything more low-key. Most things are a pendulum. It swung way to one side with Aqua, now it's swinging back to a more low-key look aimed at productivity.

Low key? A garish green background, translucent menus, popup stacks that open in an arc, reflections galore in a fake 3D Dock...

Tristano
Jul 27, 2007, 10:25 PM
For the most part, aren't most icons going to be replaced by actual previews of whatever the item is? For example, rather than a generic "document" icon, we will be looking at the first page of that document in miniature? Anyway that's what I thought we saw in the Keynote.

I agree that using the green grass background for the Keynote was a bad idea... the audience DID laugh, and like so many other people I thought it was a joke, looking like a Windows background.... but of course we can change it to whatever we like. A blue abstract would have been fine with me.

BKKbill
Jul 27, 2007, 10:29 PM
I'm also liken it. Is it Tuesday are we there yet?

Alloye
Jul 27, 2007, 10:32 PM
Low key? A garish green background, translucent menus, popup stacks that open in an arc, reflections galore in a fake 3D Dock...

I won't comment on the subjective points as you're obviously entitled to your opinion, but the stacks that open in an arc are surprisingly effective. I was actually quite skeptical when they were first revealed at WWDC. Now I'm a believer.

BKKbill
Jul 27, 2007, 10:41 PM

But if you made the blue dot white it would be just silly calling it a blue dot. :p

bennifer3000
Jul 27, 2007, 10:57 PM
Glad to see how Leopard is progressing and that it's been polished up a bit.

nateco
Jul 27, 2007, 11:23 PM
I don't have the latest build...but those brown folders are no where to be found on my version.

As for the "ugliness"...after using leopard for a month....I can't think of any other folder icons I would want....and I habitually changed Tiger folders.

The default background...who cares...I always stuck my own pic on there anyway.

The menu bar...if you've never used it...quit yer yapping...you'll be eating crow come october.

Stacks is worth the 130 bucks alone.

And for the speed of the system....Leopard feels super snappy on my basic setup....C2D 1.83 and 1.25 gigs of ram....feels lot snappier than tiger on the same machine.

One thing I didn't see in the Keynote...spaces....it will switch spaces when you click on the dock icon....no keyboard short cuts or anything....got your mail and IM in a different space..click the dock icon and boom...new space....I like that better than command arrow.

You nay sayers should really wait.

As for Vista comparisons.....

Vista= garbled mess.
10.5 = clean refinement.

EDIT....The new dock is great once you use it...and the dots are brilliant.I was messing around on a Tiger machine at a local shop this week after being away from it for a month....it felt dated.

MacAddict2000
Jul 27, 2007, 11:38 PM
I've been an OS X user since 10.1. I have liked all of the UI enhancements Apple has made until now. I hate everything about the translucent menu bar, the boxed corners, the icons, and obviously the fact that it's transparent. I like the fact that they are trying to unify the window look, but I'm not too crazy about the UI they've gone with. I really haven't liked iTunes since its UI was overhauled in version 6. I'm not too fond of the sharp but rounded corners on everything.

Really the only thing I like as far as Leopard's UI is concerned is the Dock. I like its reflective and 3D qualities.

If the UI doesn't change much between now and release time, I don't have any plans to upgrade. Not for awhile at least. Something about Leopard's UI just seems too Vista-like.

gleepskip
Jul 27, 2007, 11:49 PM
If the UI doesn't change much between now and release time, I don't have any plans to upgrade. Not for awhile at least. Something about Leopard's UI just seems too Vista-like.

The UI alone would seriously keep you from upgrading? Most of what you don't like can be changed to suit your tastes, you know.

aliea
Jul 27, 2007, 11:49 PM
I wonder...

nateco
Jul 27, 2007, 11:52 PM
I've been an OS X user since 10.1. I have liked all of the UI enhancements Apple has made until now. I hate everything about the translucent menu bar, the boxed corners, the icons, and obviously the fact that it's transparent. I like the fact that they are trying to unify the window look, but I'm not too crazy about the UI they've gone with. I really haven't liked iTunes since its UI was overhauled in version 6. I'm not too fond of the sharp but rounded corners on everything.

Really the only thing I like as far as Leopard's UI is concerned is the Dock. I like its reflective and 3D qualities.

That's cool if ya don't feel that Leopard is worth the upgrade.....how much time have you spent on it?

nateco
Jul 27, 2007, 11:53 PM
I wonder...

I dunno...if they can do it with adium....why not a simple way to do it in ichat

SiliconAddict
Jul 28, 2007, 12:26 AM

Oh dear god I think I just soiled myself. This has been one of my top 10 issues with finder. Check's off one item.
-Now if you could only force finder to behave consistently when you set its view from new finder window to new finder window.
-If when dragging an icon you could use the Apple up arrow in icon view to move back a level or two or allow cutting and pasting. Whatever way I donít care. When Organizing files while previewing via their icons I canít move the files around in icon view. Itís a useless view as is for organizing.
-Make sure that a fracking network share canít bring OS X to its knees. So far it sounds as if youíve already addressed this but it canít be stressed enough. Beachballing from a dang network share is an embarrassment.
-Put resizing wedges on both sides of the dang window. Iíve lost count the times Iíve been trying to put a couple windows, not strictly just finder windows, side by side and had to move the entire dang window on the right to smack up next to the left window then had to resize it from the right all because apparently finder is easier to use when you can expand it only from one side of the window.

I can still run rings around finder in Windows Explorer with the address bar that doubles as a command line and navigation tool. Its probably the best idea MS copied from *nix.

CJD2112
Jul 28, 2007, 01:24 AM
Lordy, let me call everyone a Waaaaaambulance. :rolleyes:

All this bitching about how everyone thinks Leopard is ugly. I'll reference another Macrumors' comments that this is typical fare:

1) New OS beta shown, everyone bitches about OS
2) OS come out
3) Everyone begins to use the OS and loves it
4) New OS announced, repeat steps 1-3

I guess it's human nature to want to criticize and complain about everything, but the truth is, it's a stellar system, with many more improvements under the hood. :)

trevorlsciact
Jul 28, 2007, 01:37 AM
I guess it's human nature to want to criticize and complain about everything, but the truth is, it's a stellar system, with many more improvements under the hood. :)

But it has everything I don't like about vista athletically. Mainly a clashing of colours and textures. If they just brought everything in a little.

Project
Jul 28, 2007, 01:54 AM
The reason Leopard looks so ugly is because the traditional OSX UI team was busy working on the iPhone whilst Leopard was being developed. So they brought in a lesser team to pull up the slack in their place, and the result is the crap-fest UI we see today.

Erm, Leopard really isnt much different to Tiger. Was Tiger a crapfest too?

tadunne
Jul 28, 2007, 02:46 AM
I wonder...

You can kinda use msn with ichat in tiger. Using a jabber msn gateway. Works ok for me, except you can not transfer files..

metallicaisgood
Jul 28, 2007, 02:53 AM
But it has everything I don't like about vista athletically. Mainly a clashing of colours and textures. If they just brought everything in a little.

athletically?... Do you mean aesthetically?

bennifer3000
Jul 28, 2007, 02:55 AM
Anyone care to be a helpy helperton and send me the Leopard Iconset a couple pages back?

Pierremaison
Jul 28, 2007, 03:21 AM
I do like the new icons....but I just wonder what they will look like in real-world situations ie. when they are small. They look great at 128x128 or whatever res they are, but scale them down to the size I will look at them while I'm working...will they be as nice and easily distinguishable from one another?

Can anyone who has been testing Leopard tell us what they are like small?

They look ok, if a little bland.

Pierremaison
Jul 28, 2007, 03:32 AM

There is a degree of transparency in the drop down menus, admittedly not to the same degree as the menu bar, but it is there. I agree with you on the dock lights, they are wishy washy and you really need to concentrate on them to see whats apps are running. Some features are very productive like quick view, some leave me cold (Cover view), when browsing folders in my opinion does not work. Having said that I have found it extremely useful for browsing PDF files. Time machine is great, as long as you are hooked up to the relevant back up drive, which is obviously not always the case. Complaining about the desk to background seems lame to me, if you don't like it, change it! Personally I quite like it,

alexeismertin
Jul 28, 2007, 03:42 AM
Anybody care to share the icons, the previous link has exceeded downloads

thanks

samh004
Jul 28, 2007, 04:01 AM
I wonder... (in relation to MSN being in iChat)

Not going to happen any time soon, for that to happen, and work effectively, Apple would have to go into an agreement with Microsoft to use their protocol or whatever. Apple can't just add it in without official support, as it'll break all the time and look bad.

If Apple were to license the appropriate stuff from Microsoft, how much more do you think the OS would cost ?

If you need to use MSN on the mac, use the official client, or Gaim or Mercury or many other similar third party apps. You'll find there are lots out there that work really well.

Anybody care to share the icons, the previous link has exceeded downloads

You do know most of the files aren't actual Leopard icons, they're just custom icons someone is trying to claim are Leopard icons. Although the blue folders are Leopard.

-----

Things that I have noticed and wanted to mention.

Stacks - They work great from the dock when it's placed on the bottom, but when you place the dock on the right or the left, only the grid view expands, that is to say the cool, long-and-slender stack of icons does not work. I would hope that it will be functional in all dock positions when it ships.

Menu Bar - I have tried the menu bar with about a hundred or more of my most commonly used backgrounds. I download most of my stuff from Mandolux (http://www.mandolux.com). The bottom line is the transparent bar works well, sometimes it doesn't look great and icons are hard to see, words hard to read, when a background has a dark shadow rising from it into a small spot of the bar, but for the most part, perfect.

There are conflicts, but I'm sure most people will be able to live with the few conflicting backgrounds. And last case scenario, just click the icon or text and it is highlighted, eliminating any problem. If you use an application frequently, you wont need to read the titles in the menu bar as you should automatically know where to click.

Best feature so far - Screen Sharing, using it all day for the past few days to connect to a mac elsewhere in the house, not crashed yet, works perfectly, and didn't cost me ARD. Only wish I could try it out with .Mac over the net.

AdeFowler
Jul 28, 2007, 05:09 AM
Well all this thread proves is that you will never please everyone.

Personally it's growing on me more and more. I could bitch about things, but I'll leave that until it comes out of development. I'm sure there's a lot of refinement to come before October.

Tsurisuto
Jul 28, 2007, 05:21 AM
On a more positive note... I am very surprised that this new seed hasn't been leaked to the numerous Torrent sites.

Maybe Apple has finally found who was leaking the Betas and taken legal action?!

timbuk2
Jul 28, 2007, 05:32 AM
On a more positive note... I am very surprised that this new seed hasn't been leaked to the numerous Torrent sites.

Maybe Apple has finally found who was leaking the Betas and taken legal action?!

maybe it's just that nobody wants to download this load of crap.

Much Ado
Jul 28, 2007, 05:34 AM
Well , if this really is a case of the most talented GUI team being busy with the iPhone over the last year or so, then just be pleased that they'll be back soon to keep an eye over things, and to tidy stuff up.

All it takes is a software update, even after the OS is released to change minor details like the ones people are complaining about (The dots! Why can't they be green, and not blue?)

The iPhone is out now, so the software dept. will be focused on Leopard, and iLife.

Everything is gonna be alright.

MA.

slackpacker
Jul 28, 2007, 05:45 AM
what I want to know is how it performs compared to Lep 9a466?

xUKHCx
Jul 28, 2007, 06:12 AM
I absolutely love the path bar, was so excited to see it in an early leopard picture only to find out that it was only for a spotlight window. This is just another thing that makes Leopard more irresistible. As to the blue spot i like it but can see how it may be hard to see.

Evangelion
Jul 28, 2007, 06:15 AM

Um, transparency does make things more low-key. It helps the item in question blend in with the surroundings, since it's, well, transparent. If you had white menubat on a dark background, it would shine like a beacon. In other wrds: not so subtle. If it were transparent, it would be a lot more low-ey.

curmi
Jul 28, 2007, 08:28 AM
maybe it's just that nobody wants to download this load of crap.

Best response on this thread yet. :D

F/reW/re
Jul 28, 2007, 08:38 AM
The dock looks more and more tacky. The trashcan looks misplaced on the 3d dock. Are we going to make icons that fit into the 3d dock or according to the apple design guidelines? And do we really want a dock that looks like an airstrip?

Are you able to copy the path from the pathbar?

Now that we're moving away from the brushed metal, why do we now see tacky metallicons like the new System Preferences and Timemachine icons?

Not to mention the extremly ugly Spaces icon. What's going on at Apple these days?

OS X looks to me more and more like Vista.. :(

I may sound negative, its only because I have high expectations to Apple.

Cabbit
Jul 28, 2007, 08:52 AM
GET OVER IT!

If you want a system to look and work exactly as you want download and learn to program linux. If not take what you get like everyone else that buys Windows or Mac os.

Personally i think leopard looks very sexy compared to tiger, i also like some of the Vista effects like explorer and form what i've seen of the new finder it makes explorer, konquer, and the gnome file manager look old hack.

Taylor C
Jul 28, 2007, 09:21 AM
I was originally put off by Leopard's new UI, but I've come to appreciate it's refinements. The dock is actually really cool once you use it, and I absolutely adore the unified windows and the subtle changes to the blue color of highlighted text and menu items. I'm still not a fan of the menu bar transparency, but it's not as bad as you think it is once you try it out.

I'm really looking forward to October's release. Tiger does indeed look dated compared to Leopard's slick refinements.

TheChemist
Jul 28, 2007, 09:35 AM
You can kinda use msn with ichat in tiger. Using a jabber msn gateway. Works ok for me, except you can not transfer files..

OT: Could you explain how to do it or do you have a link with a How-To ?

Fuchal
Jul 28, 2007, 09:39 AM

What are you talking about? It's been on torrent sites for 2 days now.

Jul 28, 2007, 09:46 AM

Looks neat and tidy...Finder is quickly becoming THE REASON to have Leopard the day it is launched...such intermediate improvements are more than eye candy...simply awesome!

Tom B.
Jul 28, 2007, 09:48 AM
Well I like it. The only thing I'm not sure about yet are the neon dots to show currently running applications. But I'm sure I'll get used to them after a couple of days of using it. I like the new System Preferences icon. The current one is too 1990s. And the new dock looks really nice, and it might finally convince me to let the dock be unhidden. And the translucent menu bar does look very nice, too.

Tiger already feels outdated for me. I'll be buying Leopard on day one (unless I buy a new MacBook with it preloaded.)

Welly
Jul 28, 2007, 09:54 AM
GET OVER IT!

If you want a system to look and work exactly as you want download and learn to program linux. If not take what you get like everyone else that buys Windows or Mac os.

Personally i think leopard looks very sexy compared to tiger, i also like some of the Vista effects like explorer and form what i've seen of the new finder it makes explorer, konquer, and the gnome file manager look old hack.

Yep! Totally agree. At the end of the day, it's a matter of taste. I really, REALLY like the look of the new Leopard interface. I can't wait for it to come out and I'll be waiting for the doors to open at my local Apple store to get it on the day.

guzhogi
Jul 28, 2007, 10:01 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Macintosh_System_7.5.3_screenshot.png

Anyone else see a similarity in the folder icons? While nice, I prefer the 3D icons

Jul 28, 2007, 10:05 AM
Your screenshot brought me good memories of Escape Velocity running on my Quadra 605, the first Mac I've had...golden years! :)

rjwill246
Jul 28, 2007, 10:45 AM
A good thing Apple doesn't use us to design its OS. The sheer number of suggestions- and conflicting ones too- reminds me of the "camel is a horse designed by a committee" saying.

I hate to think what the Desktop would look like if we all had our wishes included.;)

MrSmith
Jul 28, 2007, 10:51 AM
Not read the whole thread but those folder icons scream "give me a personality". Very boring. But I like the path display, as long as you can click on it; otherwise it's pretty pointless. I'm still hoping for the ability to easily tile the Finder windows. Better still, open new Finder windows automatically tiled - as in not on top of the window that's already opened. Duh.

One last irrelevant point, but doesn't the zebra crossing seem to be on a different plane to the dock, if you look at the edge of the dock? Could be my eyes. :)

CasinoOwl
Jul 28, 2007, 12:10 PM
What is Apple thinking? Obviously they pulled every programmer off Leopard and put them on the iPhone. Idiots! I'll bet the janitor was left to do the design. What is with that little picture of an apple in the upper left corner? And the groups icon on the folder - why no silhouette of a woman? Sexist! No wonder NO ONE wants to download this latest version from BitTorrent. I mean, that desktop. Ughh! It has 70 blades of grass and clearly it should have 75 or more since that is better design. The Time Machine icon is butt ugly. Obviously it should be square, not circular. I only say this because I love Apple so much, and since I have superior taste to Steve Jobs and any of you who like then new look. Since I could design it so much better I will NOT be buying Leopard when it come out and you should not buy it either.

[Just kidding. Fact is I don't love it all, but overall I am very impressed with Leopard and can't wait to get it.]

cgc
Jul 28, 2007, 12:16 PM
I dislike transparency and have tried it in Windows XP via WindowBlinds. Yuck. Very unusable.

ro2nie
Jul 28, 2007, 12:58 PM
Did anyone notice the first icon on this set? (public generic PC) It shows a BSOD (or blue screen of death)... Nice funny touch by Apple...LOL

Luigi239
Jul 28, 2007, 01:12 PM
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/3553/picture4ld1.png

See in the icon maker icon, it says 128 and then a bigger 512? Does this mean 512px icons in leopard?

hotdamn
Jul 28, 2007, 01:22 PM
512px icons in leopard?

old news buddy.

as in: "yes"

Cloudsurfer
Jul 28, 2007, 01:33 PM
Hmm, I like the new folder icons. They look more cardboard, more realistic than the Aqua ones.

Cfour
Jul 28, 2007, 01:40 PM
Just my 2 pence but I love the evolutionary look of Leopard, very '07 and I actually really like the new dock, what with the reflective floor; the little blue LEDs that are so much nicer than the boring black triangles and also the new dock seperator, again very modern and polished.
Bring on October, should brighten those dreary autumn months :)

Cfour

p0intblank
Jul 28, 2007, 02:04 PM
I love the new additions. :) Also it's good to see some of the iPhone's UI is rubbing off on Macs. I'm sure we will be seeing more of this in the future, kind of like what iTunes has done for Leopard's Finder.

A Pittarelli
Jul 28, 2007, 02:08 PM
im sure the whole apple theme will come together with the new imacs, leopard and the iphone

p0intblank
Jul 28, 2007, 02:09 PM
Just looked at the new icon sets... and I am VERY impressed! I can't wait to have Leopard in my hands. It's funny how different icons can get me so excited. :)

Willis
Jul 28, 2007, 02:13 PM
Leopard is shaping up to quite a nice release. I'm more interested in the features that we still are yet to see, not just the ones demo'd

drugs!
Jul 28, 2007, 02:43 PM
do you people ever not complain... i think it looks awesome and a perfect step up from tiger

macintel4me
Jul 28, 2007, 02:50 PM
The next step (no pun intended) for icons is to have true 3D composition and not simply bitmaps. This way in coverflow there could be a much improved look over simply the flat bitmaps with perspective. Imagine a sphere or a guitar with true depth to it. It would look much better than this.

kalisphoenix
Jul 28, 2007, 03:29 PM
The next step (no pun intended) for icons is to have true 3D composition and not simply bitmaps. This way in coverflow there could be a much improved look over simply the flat bitmaps with perspective. Imagine a sphere or a guitar with true depth to it. It would look much better than this.

Yeah, that's been one of my gripes about CoverFlow. It looks great with albums and pretty weak with icons. A large part of it might be the spacing between the icons, though, which seemed to me to be much too small.

CJD2112
Jul 28, 2007, 04:06 PM

Ok, this I agree with. That would make for a much better cover flow rather than 2-D icons, which is precisely what cover flow should bring to the UI. Other than that, it's all good. :)

aristotle
Jul 28, 2007, 04:26 PM

*Running Away*
Google for NeXTStep screenshots. You will see a bread crumb at the top of the window. Apple is just gradually adding back in stuff that was taken out after the Rhapsody betas.
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/oshistory/images/nextstep.jpg
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/vpc/images/nextstep.jpg
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/vpc/images/rhapsody.gif
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taouu/html/graphics/nextstep.png

Also clicking on an item in a search window will also show you the path below.

OwlsAndApples
Jul 28, 2007, 05:05 PM
Hmm, I like the new folder icons. They look more cardboard, more realistic than the Aqua ones.

Though not a problem for me, don't you think they could be a bit hard to read and distinguish between if you have weaker eyesight...I suppose you can always up the contrast. I haven't heard that much on the Accessibility front so far.

(BTW I think those folders are pretty swish myself!)

Nightkrawler
Jul 28, 2007, 06:43 PM
Another screenshot
http://bayimg.com/PAelBAabM
:confused:

macintel4me
Jul 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
Another screenshot
http://bayimg.com/PAelBAabM
:confused:
Kinda boring. Weird the "Processor" icon is missing from the System Preferences.

Cabbit
Jul 28, 2007, 08:09 PM
Kinda boring. Weird the "Processor" icon is missing from the System Preferences.

it is running a 3.77 GHz core2duo with 8MB cache, intel has no such chip.

akac
Jul 28, 2007, 08:13 PM

That only shows up for people with Dev tools installed.

Eidorian
Jul 28, 2007, 08:13 PM
it is running a 3.77 GHz core2duo with 8MB cache, intel has no such chip.It could be an overclocked quad. The bus speed doesn't make any sense either. That's a very messed up system profile though. Maybe it's just for development of purposes.

pomus
Jul 28, 2007, 08:15 PM

:mad::mad::mad:

I wasn't going to post anything, but you guys sound like annoying babies. It's really dumb that people wont upgrade just because of looks. Seriously, Leopard is far more functional, efficient, and faster than Tiger (not to mention vista :D).

Stacks (specially in grid mode) is by far the best solutions to reach Apps and files without cluttering up your desktop or your dock (I think its genious).

The new Finder and Quicklook are the most amazing enhancement that makes upgrading so worth it. As a designer, I could now look at my files (without having to open Aperture or Bridge) and see them in full size. (Droooool)
:D:D:D

Let's not forget Spaces, Core Animation and the Multicore power that is found in Leopard (yes, Leopard is faster w/multicore processors). For more info on this visit: http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/technology/multicore.html

So, there. Is Leopard now worth upgrading? I know I am :cool: .

MrSmith
Jul 28, 2007, 08:35 PM
:mad::mad::mad:

I wasn't going to post anything, but you guys sound like annoying babies. It's really dumb that people wont upgrade just because of looks. Seriously, Leopard is far more functional, efficient, and faster than Tiger (not to mention vista :D)
The title and topic of this thread is Visual Enhancements. If you're annoyed with posters because they don't have the same opinion as you, then :p. If you're annoyed because people are posting their opinions about the visuals, then :p. Since the great unwashed of us don't have a copy yet there is little else we can talk about. Probably everything that can be said about stacks and the other new functions has already been said. Besides, it's pretty pointless to argue that such functionality is a bad thing: If you don't need it, just don't use it. Eye candy, on the other hand, is open to subjectivity and gives us something to chew on while we're waiting for the finished product.

Time for my milk.

pomus
Jul 28, 2007, 09:21 PM
The title and topic of this thread is Visual Enhancements. If you're annoyed with posters because they don't have the same opinion as you, then :p. If you're annoyed because people are posting their opinions about the visuals, then :p. Since the great unwashed of us don't have a copy yet there is little else we can talk about. Probably everything that can be said about stacks and the other new functions has already been said. Besides, it's pretty pointless to argue that such functionality is a bad thing: If you don't need it, just don't use it. Eye candy, on the other hand, is open to subjectivity and gives us something to chew on while we're waiting for the finished product.

Time for my milk.

Okay, here comes my opinion on visual enhancements.

I dig the blue dot because it blend with the reflective dock. I find the black triangles too distracting. The new divider rocks because it gives it more of a 3D feel to the already 3D dock. The 3D dock is a good 3D looking 2D interface. That is the closest to a 3D interface that we're going to get. After all, we don't know what a 3D interface would look like; we're only familiar with 3D looking 2D interfaces (someone please prove me wrong).

The translucent menu bar, just like the new reflective dock, are very professional looking and sexy. There's a big difference between translucent and transparent (i.e. vista's windows). The reason I think the reflective dock
and the translucent menu bar are awesome is because they react more like real, tangible elements that we would see in a luxury store where you see a reflection on the glass display and the translucency (is that a word?) of translucent glass. I think it looks far more natural looking than vista's unaesthetic transparent (and distracting) window borders.

so, there. I joined the baby's club. Where's my baba :p:p

MrSmith
Jul 28, 2007, 09:40 PM
There, that wasn't so bad, was it? :D :D

VaDor
Jul 28, 2007, 10:00 PM
It's all very nice.. I just want one think "Print selection".. i think this very very very basic feature in the printer options will do wonders and save the world...

Please Steve implement Print Selection option!!

DaBrain
Jul 28, 2007, 10:47 PM
It's all very nice.. I just want one think "Print selection".. i think this very very very basic feature in the printer options will do wonders and save the world...

Please Steve implement Print Selection option!!

Yes that would be great!

TuffLuffJimmy
Jul 28, 2007, 10:52 PM
Did anyone notice the first icon on this set? (public generic PC) It shows a BSOD (or blue screen of death)... Nice funny touch by Apple...LOL

I wish they would put that in the actual release of Leopard, however that is a 3rd party icon set.

dataset
Jul 29, 2007, 01:50 AM
Will the menu bar stay transparent or will there be an option to change it? I so far think everything in the new Finder is great, but for some reason I just don't like the menu bar transparent. Hope there is going to be a way.

(Even if there weren't, I'm still upgrading as soon as it releases!)

ukp
Jul 29, 2007, 02:54 AM
I wish they would put that in the actual release of Leopard, however that is a 3rd party icon set.

The Windows BSOD icon is in leopard 9A466.

elppa
Jul 29, 2007, 03:44 AM
I didn't have time to read all 10 pages, so apologies if anyone has already commented on this:

Could the new separator in the dock be the reason while the negotiations between Apple Inc and Apple Corps took so longÖ Abbey Road anyoneÖ :D

Cabbit
Jul 29, 2007, 06:02 AM
so, there. I joined the baby's club. Where's my baba :p:p

*pouts* im the only one that gets to be a baby, it says so in my name.

F/reW/re
Jul 29, 2007, 06:27 AM
Google for NeXTStep screenshots. You will see a bread crumb at the top of the window. Apple is just gradually adding back in stuff that was taken out after the Rhapsody betas.
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/oshistory/images/nextstep.jpg
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/vpc/images/nextstep.jpg
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/vpc/images/rhapsody.gif
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taouu/html/graphics/nextstep.png

Also clicking on an item in a search window will also show you the path below.

Why are you bringing up NextStep and Rhapsody? No Mac OS release have ever had a pathbar, Windows has had one for ages! It's been a requested feature by many Mac users for many years. About time Apple inckuded it!

macintel4me
Jul 29, 2007, 06:33 AM
Will the menu bar stay transparent or will there be an option to change it? I so far think everything in the new Finder is great, but for some reason I just don't like the menu bar transparent. Hope there is going to be a way.

(Even if there weren't, I'm still upgrading as soon as it releases!)

Apple made the menu bar a little less transparent it the latest build and it looks/feels better. No option to change it so far.

macintel4me
Jul 29, 2007, 06:37 AM
FYI, the new dock separator allows the user to resize the dock. This is a shortcut in lieu of going to the Dock preferences and changing the Size option.

Nightkrawler
Jul 29, 2007, 06:47 AM
Why are you bringing up NextStep and Rhapsody? No Mac OS release have ever had a pathbar, Windows has had one for ages! It's been a requested feature by many Mac users for many years. About time Apple inckuded it!

WWDC 1999-05-10 (http://realserver.princeton.edu:8080/ramgen/special/19990510applekeynoteTV9200K.rm)
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=80775&stc=1&d=1185709283
That was OS X (really really early beta/alpha).

F/reW/re
Jul 29, 2007, 07:12 AM
WWDC 1999-05-10 (http://realserver.princeton.edu:8080/ramgen/special/19990510applekeynoteTV9200K.rm)
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=80775&stc=1&d=1185709283
That was OS X (really really early beta/alpha).
Still just a beta. As far as I know this one never even made it public. The pathbar have been a part of Windows since at least Windows 98, and it's not going away. It's a good think and it's about time Apple included it. ;)

Wayfarer
Jul 29, 2007, 07:45 AM
In Tiger, Finder's Spotlight shows a pathbar! :eek:

Thomas2006
Jul 29, 2007, 08:33 AM
Apple should put the red, yellow, and green buttons under the icons of open applications instead of using white.

ppcebay
Jul 29, 2007, 08:45 AM
Sorry but i am really sick about this pathbar being a novelty or stealed from other systemm.. you people never ever really knew OS X in the first place...

as a matter of fact PATH have been in OS X since Public Beta... wanna try?? you see that little name on top of EACH folder?? well press command (the little APPLE BUTTON) and then keeping command pressed simply left click on that name... VOILA!!!! PATHHHHHH isn't it nice to know how to use your computer so when a new realase comes out you know what are the new features and what they are selling you as new features??

ppcebay
Jul 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
FYI, the new dock separator allows the user to resize the dock. This is a shortcut in lieu of going to the Dock preferences and changing the Size option.

The OLD DOCK had it too ;)

izzle22
Jul 29, 2007, 08:51 AM
I didn't have time to read all 10 pages, so apologies if anyone has already commented on this:

Could the new separator in the dock be the reason while the negotiations between Apple Inc and Apple Corps took so longÖ Abbey Road anyoneÖ :D

OMG will you people stop with the Abbey Road crap. It's just a dotted line, that's all, get over it!

izzle22
Jul 29, 2007, 08:53 AM
Apple should put the red, yellow, and green buttons under the icons of open applications instead of using white.

The blue dots look great what is the problem everyone is having with them? Is it because they are not black triangles.

MrSmith
Jul 29, 2007, 08:55 AM
... press command (the little APPLE BUTTON) and then keeping command pressed simply left click on that name... VOILA!!!! PATHHHHHH isn't it nice to know how to use your computer so when a new realase comes out you what are the new features and what they are selling as new features??
What's a "left click"? Anyway, now you'll be able to see the path without holding down anything. VOILA!! PROGRESSSSSSSSSS...

ppcebay
Jul 29, 2007, 08:58 AM
What's a "left click"? Anyway, now you'll be able to see the path without holding down anything. VOILA!! PROGRESSSSSSSSSS...

A left click is a Mouse click with the LEFT button.. since with progress we also got 2 buttons mice!!!

Anywhoo.. i wouldn't call that progress...or at least..i woudln't count it as a FEATURE since we already have it !!

MrSmith
Jul 29, 2007, 09:02 AM
The blue dots look great what is the problem everyone is having with them? Is it because they are not black triangles.
I've got the best of both worlds :)

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/6695/picture1vc3.png

Cooknn
Jul 29, 2007, 09:03 AM
I said it before, I'll say it again, folder paths were in the NextStep, which Steve founded in the 80's.Yep. It was called the Shelf, IIRC. Glad to see it's finally making it to OS X.

Taylor C
Jul 29, 2007, 09:11 AM
That icon set isn't third party, those are all actually in Leopard. Even the x-ray-ish one at the bottom, it's for a new developer tool that allows developers to scan their apps for potential bugs.

niclet
Jul 29, 2007, 09:21 AM
The translucent Menubar is good but I'd rather prefer a hide-Menubar option. Like when DVD reader is in full screen format, the Menubar hide itself beyond top screen and reappears when the cursor is over its zone. The Dock can do it, so why not the Menubar? I'm for a free desktop!!

F/reW/re
Jul 29, 2007, 09:29 AM
as a matter of fact PATH have been in OS X since Public Beta... wanna try?? you see that little name on top of EACH folder?? well press command (the little APPLE BUTTON) and then keeping command pressed simply left click on that name... VOILA!!!! PATHHHHHH isn't it nice to know how to use your computer so when a new realase comes out you know what are the new features and what they are selling you as new features??
Please, get real! You obviously don't get it!

Try working in a corporation using servers with a lot of files and folders. When using my home computer surfing the internet I don't need a pathbar, but when I use my Mac at work with coworkers! How do you tell someone where the file is on the server? You give them the path! (ex: Volumes/Client/2007/Project/Profile/Fonts/Helvetica Naue/ttf/ or ftp://username:password@mycomputer/theFolder) How do you get the path? On OS X you have to use automator actions or other apps. In windows you can copy/paste/write in the pathbar just like you can in Explorer/Safari/Firefox 's pathbar. Why should the filebrowser be any different? Can you imagine how annoying it would be to send a link to an image on the internet to a friend if you had to write the whole link every time?

Jul 29, 2007, 09:31 AM
Sorry but i am really sick about this pathbar being a novelty or stealed from other systemm.. you people never ever really knew OS X in the first place...

Only Winblows users should like that ugly thing about file paths anyway...Apple's implementation has been much nicer for ages...who cares?

Other interesting things:

http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-mac-download/enhance-finders-context-menu-with-fileutilscm-261772.php

http://www.hsoi.com/hsoishop/software/

macintel4me
Jul 29, 2007, 09:45 AM
Please, get real! You obviously don't get it!

Try working in a corporation using servers with a lot of files and folders. When using my home computer surfing the internet I don't need a pathbar, but when I use my Mac at work with coworkers! How do you tell someone where the file is on the server? You give them the path! (ex: Volumes/Client/2007/Project/Profile/Fonts/Helvetica Naue/ttf/ or ftp://username:password@mycomputer/theFolder) How do you get the path? On OS X you have to use automator actions or other apps. In windows you can copy/paste/write in the pathbar just like you can in Explorer/Safari/Firefox 's pathbar. Why should the filebrowser be any different? Can you imagine how annoying it would be to send a link to an image on the internet to a friend if you had to write the whole link every time?
Really good point.