PDA

View Full Version : Just got a used iMac G4; maintenance/update question

Xfujinon
Jul 27, 2007, 03:11 PM
Salutations!

Minutes ago, I just posted my first response in a thread. Now, I begin one.

I have recently acquired an iMac G4; it will be delivered in about three days.

I have never used an iMac G4, nor have I played with one extensively. However, I managed to download a manual and read up on how to replace RAM, Airport cards, etc.

What I am interested in knowing (from you experienced folks) is what I should do software-wise to make it work like a champion once I get it. Specifically:

1. Can it handle Tiger? Leopard?
2. If it is to be used as an audio server, can I strip down the OS install? How?
3. How does one set up a "file server" that I've read about here?
4. Any other ideas of fun stuff I can do with it?

Soon, I will also be recieving an iMac G5, so the G4 will NOT be used for any main functions (typing, browsing, photo editing). I am mostly curious about how to make it run superbly, but also looking for ideas for other things I can do with it.

Thanks in advance!

motulist
Jul 27, 2007, 03:19 PM
1. Can it handle Tiger? Leopard?

yes, with no problem. Just make sure you have at least around 768 MB ram. More ram = more happy OS X

2. If it is to be used as an audio server, can I strip down the OS install? How?

It doesn't need any tweaking to be an audio server (unless you're serving like 100 other computers), it's more than powerful enough as it is.

3. How does one set up a "file server" that I've read about here?

Just throw it on your network using an ethernet cable, turn on file sharing in the sharing system pref, then on the remote mac just select 'go > network' from the finder's menu bar.

4. Any other ideas of fun stuff I can do with it?

The question is more, what couldn't you do with it. An iMac G4 is still capable of doing just about anything you can ask of it.

Xfujinon
Jul 28, 2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks a bunch! I will definitely look into the file server idea, as I am interested in finding a place to store the numerous .PDF copies of journal articles for my thesis.

As an aside, in this model iMac, will it be necessary to up the RAM from 512 if all I wish to do is use Word 2004, surf the internet, and listen to iTunes (not even simultaneously)? Just wondering if I should bother messing with it.

Thanks!

Sped
Jul 28, 2007, 11:42 PM
As an aside, in this model iMac, will it be necessary to up the RAM from 512 if all I wish to do is use Word 2004, surf the internet, and listen to iTunes (not even simultaneously)?

It won't be necessary, but it would be highly desirable. I have 1 gB of RAM, and it makes the computer much more enjoyable to use. You might not intend to have multiple apps open simultaneously, but I guarantee that you will. When you do, you'll see a marked slow down with only 512 mB of RAM.