PDA

View Full Version : I've realized enough is enough...

MACsimus19
Jul 27, 2007, 03:58 PM
You want to talk about crazy...here goes:

Bought the phone on the 29th at an AT&T store (unfortunate but true) with a crappy Griffin Case. RETURNED CASE CAUSE WAS TERRIBLE

Got really excited about the inCase protective rubber case, Apple only had Red in stock, liked it but color just had to go. RETURNED IT CAUSE BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK

Finally got my hands around the Black inCase case, thought it was great. Then I read a thread about how it gets loose and scratches the chrome when particles get stuck....so what do i do? I TAKE IT OFF, it gets loose (was fine before) and proceeds to scratch the chrome in the next few days. Probably should have just left it on and not been such a nervous Nellie. RETURNED IT CAUSE IT SCRATCHED MY CHROME.

Picked up the clear Power Jacket from Crystal. Thought I liked the case...seemed decent enough and the screen protector was fantastic. Looseness of case scratched chrome as well. Started reading a thread about the 7 series screen. Took the protector off sent to apple care, got it back (same phone-no problem found). This time I said to myself hey, I'll just return the power jacket and only use the crystal screen protector (had to buy a new set of course, once you take off its pretty much done). RETURNED PHONE, GOT IT BACK, RETURNED POWER JACKET.

So here I am with my new old iPhone (actually like the 7 series better...my own opinion) and found myself looking at a nicely protected screen but scratched chrome. I purchased the black inCase yet again, and I swear to you all that I will never take it off...EVER!

So here's what I've learned in the process. QUIT WORRYING. I could baby the hell out of it, always keep the shamie in my pocket to clean smudges, sing to it, do whatever it takes but the fact of the matter is - WEAR AND TEAR is gonna happen. All this back and forth, searching for the right solution, trying to keep it perfect. WHO CARES? Yes its 600 bucks but you know what... a 600 dollar iPhone with a scratch on the chrome performs just as well as a 600 dollar iPhone without scratches. It simply doesn't matter.

The inCase case looks terrific, I mean its arguably better looking with the case on than off. It doesn't matter whats happening underneath cause nobody will ever see it. The case is protected, the screen is protected....time to just enjoy it and use it for what its meant for.

Now if the case gets scratched...then I'm screwed :)

j00d
Jul 27, 2007, 04:03 PM
You want to talk about crazy...here goes:

Bought the phone on the 29th at an AT&T store (unfortunate but true) with a crappy Griffin Case. RETURNED CASE CAUSE WAS TERRIBLE

Got really excited about the inCase protective rubber case, Apple only had Red in stock, liked it but color just had to go. RETURNED IT CAUSE BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK

Finally got my hands around the Black inCase case, thought it was great. Then I read a thread about how it gets loose and scratches the chrome when particles get stuck....so what do i do? I TAKE IT OFF, it gets loose (was fine before) and proceeds to scratch the chrome in the next few days. Probably should have just left it on and not been such a nervous Nellie. RETURNED IT CAUSE IT SCRATCHED MY CHROME.

Picked up the clear Power Jacket from Crystal. Thought I liked the case...seemed decent enough and the screen protector was fantastic. Looseness of case scratched chrome as well. Started reading a thread about the 7 series screen. Took the protector off sent to apple care, got it back (same phone-no problem found). This time I said to myself hey, I'll just return the power jacket and only use the crystal screen protector (had to buy a new set of course, once you take off its pretty much done). RETURNED PHONE, GOT IT BACK, RETURNED POWER JACKET.

So here I am with my new old iPhone (actually like the 7 series better...my own opinion) and found myself looking at a nicely protected screen but scratched chrome. I purchased the black inCase yet again, and I swear to you all that I will never take it off...EVER!

So here's what I've learned in the process. QUIT WORRYING. I could baby the hell out of it, always keep the shamie in my pocket to clean smudges, sing to it, do whatever it takes but the fact of the matter is - WEAR AND TEAR is gonna happen. All this back and forth, searching for the right solution, trying to keep it perfect. WHO CARES? Yes its 600 bucks but you know what... a 600 dollar iPhone with a scratch on the chrome performs just as well as a 600 dollar iPhone without scratches. It simply doesn't matter.

The inCase case looks terrific, I mean its arguably better looking with the case on than off. It doesn't matter whats happening underneath cause nobody will ever see it. The case is protected, the screen is protected....time to just enjoy it and use it for what its meant for.

Now if the case gets scratched...then I'm screwed :)

screw you, i'm going to cherish and pamper my iphone until i buy the next one

MACsimus19
Jul 27, 2007, 04:10 PM
screw you, i'm going to cherish and pamper my iphone until i buy the next one

Don't get me wrong if another one came out next month that was 600 bones i'd pick it up and hand my current one down to the ms.

I just don't think its healthy to obsess over, especially anything that gets so much daily use. I'll always make sure its well protected and used carefully but not to the extremely anal degree I was before.

hotsauce
Jul 28, 2007, 04:28 AM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

sounds just like what I went through.
I also agree that the 7 screen is much better.

Daremo
Jul 28, 2007, 05:24 AM
WHO CARES? Yes its 600 bucks but you know what... a 600 dollar iPhone with a scratch on the chrome performs just as well as a 600 dollar iPhone without scratches. It simply doesn't matter.

A 600 dollar prostitute with sores on her mouth performs just as well as a 600 dollar prostitute without sores. You going to tell me "It simply doesn't matter?" :D

I'll take care of my iPhone, and always use a sheath, perhaps one made of rubber. ;)

megfilmworks
Jul 28, 2007, 10:46 PM
A 600 dollar prostitute with sores on her mouth performs just as well as a 600 dollar prostitute without sores. You going to tell me "It simply doesn't matter?" :D

I'll take care of my iPhone, and always use a sheath, perhaps one made of rubber. ;)
Dump the condoms, enjoy the real feel of the true iPhone.
Naked or Nothing!!

sirnick4
Jul 28, 2007, 11:38 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about. I kept fretting about my iPhone when I first got it. I read all of these "horror story" threads and became paranoid myself.

I love my iPhone. I like how it's a 7 series (makes me feel special :p).

I did, however, buy the iSkin Revo case. Can't wait till it comes in. :)

It's better than any other phone I've used. I love it.

gootz
Jul 29, 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm treating mine the same way I have treated all my ipods. I enjoy the raw form factor and use a slip on sleeve like the ones included with ipods. I just ordered a Foof sleeve for my iPhone. My $.02

MACsimus19
Jul 31, 2007, 08:49 AM
I'm treating mine the same way I have treated all my ipods. I enjoy the raw form factor and use a slip on sleeve like the ones included with ipods. I just ordered a Foof sleeve for my iPhone. My $.02

The key is that you are enjoying it. I think all my babying and fussing about to make sure it looked perfect probably caused more harm than good. Other than a few screen cleanings during the day, I'm confident in my case/screen protector setup.

jlwillia
Jul 31, 2007, 09:23 AM
Does anyone else think there may be a correlation between the personality type of early adopters and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?

Obviously correlation does not imply causation, I just think it would be an interesting social experiment.....

MACsimus19
Jul 31, 2007, 11:26 AM
Does anyone else think there may be a correlation between the personality type of early adopters and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?

Obviously correlation does not imply causation, I just think it would be an interesting social experiment.....

I'd be willing to bet that its more than just a coincidence.

jecapaga
Jul 31, 2007, 11:54 AM
I'd be willing to bet that its more than just a coincidence.

would definitely have to agree.

LizKat
Aug 2, 2007, 01:18 PM

Well.... probably the only real correlation to early adoption of new hardware is having enough plastic or $$ to spring for it, or having what to barter for it.

And just because we sign onto something right away doesn't mean we're going to detail its shiny chrome doodahs every weekend (or, ever!).

Personally I think that detailing hardware (cars, trucks, iPhones) is largely a guy thing. I could be way wrong on that, so flame away... and it does make sense to detail stuff you plan on trading in early.

Me, I like my gritty old cast iron skillets from Grandma's house and would feel like killing whoever went to scrub the seasoned interiors of mine with detergent...

tderemigis
Aug 9, 2007, 10:37 PM
yea i put a screen protector and black incase on right out of the box, with no intention of taking either off.