Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I have an image with a size of 1600 X 1200. And I want to use it in Livetype as a background. But I need it to be widescreen.

What are the best options to make this?

Thanks,

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
well it depends on the image, the final resolution more than anything.

Generally though a rescale and crop to said dimensions should do the trick (if its for a display make sure its to the right pixels)

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
if you want the image itself to be the image size...just click file/new

in there you have heaps of options to change picture size/ratio....play with them

if you just want part of the image as a background for an existing picture...open them side by side and drag the background over to the picture you want and resize accordingly

hope that helps

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I don't think you really need to use photoshop at all (if I understand what you're trying to do)...LiveType has some decent features to control image attributes. Just File->Place the image, then play with it till it looks right.

Attachments

• grab.jpg
    grab.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 93

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Thanks a lot for the replies.

I don't think you really need to use photoshop at all (if I understand what you're trying to do)...LiveType has some decent features to control image attributes. Just File->Place the image, then play with it till it looks right.

WOW. I haven't tried using that, only the Size bar at the first window. But yes, it do makes the job for what I want.

Another doubt, I see that in your picture, you only put the photo just slightly outside of the Action Safe area. Is this area the maximum that any widescreen TV can show?

I haven't been able to understand this completely, it's just my third day with FCE and Photoshop and I am having a hard time getting used to it.:)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Thanks a lot for the replies.

WOW. I haven't tried using that, only the Size bar at the first window. But yes, it do makes the job for what I want.

Another doubt, I see that in your picture, you only put the photo just slightly outside of the Action Safe area. Is this area the maximum that any widescreen TV can show?

I haven't been able to understand this completely, it's just my third day with FCE and Photoshop and I am having a hard time getting used to it.:)

I just tossed my image in there with no real regard to position/sizing, just so I could verify that the features were there for you to use and would work right.

The title/action safe areas are guides/suggestions for optimal display on all televisions. The action safe area covers 15% of the view on each side, title safe 30%. These are there because certain televisions (usually tube-style models) will 'overscan' and crop the edges off of the television image, so there are recommendations for how much distance from the edge you should have for titles (text on the screen) and for action (other stuff in the frame).

Working with the guides is a good idea so that your stuff will be portable and look right anywhere. :)

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
But that means that a normal widescreen TV would show the hole screen (even the part outside the action safe line)?

I'll try reading something about the aspect ratios and all that to understand it better. Any good articles you know about to learn the basics?

Thanks a lot,:)

EDIT:
I made the widescreen title in LiveType, but when I convert it to a quicktime file to put in Final Cut Express, the video is no longer widescreen, it converts it to a 4:3 video (which looks horrible). Do I need to do something else for it to work correctly?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
But that means that a normal widescreen TV would show the hole screen (even the part outside the action safe line)?

I'll try reading something about the aspect ratios and all that to understand it better. Any good articles you know about to learn the basics?

Thanks a lot,:)

EDIT:
I made the widescreen title in LiveType, but when I convert it to a quicktime file to put in Final Cut Express, the video is no longer widescreen, it converts it to a 4:3 video (which looks horrible). Do I need to do something else for it to work correctly?

Not sure about any articles, sorry, but I can help otherwise...

If I recall properly (I haven't actually had to use livetype in ages) you can just drag and drop the livetype file into your final cut timeline, instead of exporting to quicktime. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.