PDA

View Full Version : Check for Dead Pixels

MacRumors
Jul 28, 2007, 06:20 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

I hate to encourage more obsession about your iPhone screens, but iphonedpt.bravehost.com (http://iphonedpt.bravehost.com/) allows you to check your iPhone screen for dead pixels.

The simple application just blanks the screen with black, blue, red, green or yellow. Technically, yellow is probably not required.

Possible issues on LCDs include "dead" or "stuck on" pixels.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/07/28/check-for-dead-pixels/)

megfilmworks
Jul 28, 2007, 06:41 PM
Did not want to find out, but I just had to! Luckily not a dead pixel or stuck pixel in any color mode...

Cybergypsy
Jul 28, 2007, 07:02 PM
yea no bad pixs

strangelogic
Jul 28, 2007, 09:22 PM
You're not encouraging obsession - you are initiating it...

I've been convinced my screen is good, no dead/stuck, because I'm obsessive enough about quality that I was sure I would have noticed it by now. BUT - you posted the link so I had to try it out - and I'm still totally happy with my iPhone :)

bretm
Jul 28, 2007, 10:18 PM
You're not encouraging obsession - you are initiating it...

I've been convinced my screen is good, no dead/stuck, because I'm obsessive enough about quality that I was sure I would have noticed it by now. BUT - you posted the link so I had to try it out - and I'm still totally happy with my iPhone :)

Where have you been? The obsession with screens and quality and dead pixels has been running rampant. He isn't initiating anything.

Porksword
Jul 28, 2007, 11:37 PM
I have a dead pixel but I'm pretty sure that there's nothing Apple will do about it......right?

Lancetx
Jul 29, 2007, 12:37 AM
I have one dead pixel on my iPhone as well, but the individual pixels are so tiny that I literally never notice it under regular use, so I'm not going to worry about it. Besides, even if I could exchange it, I could easily end up with one that has a screen that's a lot worse than the one I have now anyway.

Joshua8o8
Jul 29, 2007, 12:56 AM
No dead pixels here, i have a 7 series screen. I have the exact number screen that is supposedly faulty.

chaoticprout
Jul 29, 2007, 01:58 AM
i think i have 20 small dead pixels since its only 160 ppi, should i get it returned?

siurpeeman
Jul 29, 2007, 02:13 AM
I have a dead pixel but I'm pretty sure that there's nothing Apple will do about it......right?

i had a stuck pixel, and apple exchanged my iphone for a new one. this happened within the first two weeks of purchase, though. good luck to you.

After G
Jul 29, 2007, 02:25 AM
i think i have 20 small dead pixels since its only 160 ppi, should i get it returned?I think 20 should be enough to return it.

RedTomato
Jul 29, 2007, 08:11 AM
tried massaging your stuck pixels?

(more likely to work with one than with 20)

rdowns
Jul 29, 2007, 08:14 AM
My screen looks fine and I don't see the need to go someplace that may tell me otherwise.

DesignerOnMac
Jul 29, 2007, 04:40 PM
I have one dead pixel on my iPhone as well, but the individual pixels are so tiny that I literally never notice it under regular use, so I'm not going to worry about it. Besides, even if I could exchange it, I could easily end up with one that has a screen that's a lot worse than the one I have now anyway.

I do not know about the iPhone but with LCD screens, both laptop and Displays Apple will not consider an exchange unless it is 5 dead pixels or more...

Lancetx
Jul 29, 2007, 05:20 PM
I do not know about the iPhone but with LCD screens, both laptop and Displays Apple will not consider an exchange unless it is 5 dead pixels or more...

That is true. But as I said, I have no intention of asking for an exchange anyway. A single dead pixel on a screen as high res as the iPhone is no big deal at all. Like I said, it's so tiny I don't even notice it anyway.

HkyGrL2
Jul 29, 2007, 10:26 PM
my phone is connected and I clicked on the link, but nothing shows up on my phone. how do I figure it out?

Edit: duh, I have to go to the site on my iphone browser.

are the dead pixels very tiny white dots. kind of like there is dust under the screen? I can only see it on the black screen. I have alot of them scattered. It's like I'm looking up at the sky :(

ghostwriter
Jul 29, 2007, 10:43 PM
1 dead pixel - appeared a couple days ago :mad:

carman63
Jul 30, 2007, 05:33 AM
Why does this thread remind me of the movie "The Sixth Sense"?

"I see dead pixels. They're everywhere!" :p

Super Q
Jul 30, 2007, 08:28 PM
I know this may be a stupid question, but what does a dead pixel look like?

ghostwriter
Jul 30, 2007, 08:37 PM

looks a lot like a dead firefly.

Super Q
Jul 30, 2007, 09:06 PM
looks a lot like a dead firefly.

so like a little black dot? about how big is it?

sidewindr
Jul 30, 2007, 09:16 PM
no dead pixel for me, 5 series

johnmartin78
Jul 30, 2007, 09:23 PM

Just a black pixel on your screen,if it's a pixel that stays green,red, or blue or a combo of the three it's just stuck and theres a good chance you can fix it.

iTiki
Jul 31, 2007, 11:53 AM
None dead or stuck for me. 7 series.:D

jemeinc
Jul 31, 2007, 12:11 PM
Is the 7 series the one that is supposedly defective? I have a 7 series, and I do notice the "grid" but it doesn't seem like a big deal.. Is it recommended that we return them?

My "7 series" has no dead or stuck pixels that I can see..

vkirk
Jul 31, 2007, 06:54 PM

I had an issue with my phone and although I bought it from an AT&T store, I walked in to the apple store, spoke with a "genius" and he immediately replaced the phoneŚno receipt or anything. His feeling is that apple wants iphone users to be happy and take care of us. So, go now. Spread the word.

rapidrobert
Jul 31, 2007, 10:18 PM
My screen looks fine and I don't see the need to go someplace that may tell me otherwise.

I was thinking the same thing, but I just know I'll wind up at that site someday, checking for the elusive dead pixel that I can't see now but that will stress me out forever after I find it! Must...not....check....pixels.

J2theizzle
Aug 2, 2007, 12:54 PM
Just a black pixel on your screen,if it's a pixel that stays green,red, or blue or a combo of the three it's just stuck and theres a good chance you can fix it.

and how would you go about fixing a stuck pixel?

nosrg
Aug 2, 2007, 01:08 PM
I think I have 2 white (tiny) pixels on my screen, but they only show up on black background and only on some angle... Any idea what they are?

jlwillia
Aug 2, 2007, 01:17 PM
I think I have 2 white (tiny) pixels on my screen, but they only show up on black background and only on some angle... Any idea what they are?

Your imagination.

Ok, so maybe not, but that isn't anything to worry about when compared to some of the other complaints about dead/stuck pixels. Consider yourself lucky (or maybe not as UNlucky as some others).

eastview
Aug 13, 2007, 05:29 PM
NOT AN IMAGINATION.I had the same problem with one white pixel right over the google maps and one down by the ipod. I was really annoyed that I was going to have to deal with this so I went to the genius bar in the mall of America. He said I could have the phone sent in and repair these stuck pixles. WELL YEAH I JUST SPENT $600 + on the phone I want it looking great. So they took it in and said it would be 3 days but they never gave me somthing to use in the meantime :mad:. Now I am back to using my motorola C261 from tracfone :mad:. O well, At least my iphone will look great.