PDA

View Full Version : Alias announces Maya Personal Learning Edition 5

MacBytes
Jul 28, 2003, 09:55 AM
Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Alias announces Maya Personal Learning Edition 5 (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/07/28/mayaple/)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Phazer80s
Jul 28, 2003, 11:36 AM
Maya PLE 5 will be available in "Fall 2003."

agreenster
Jul 28, 2003, 04:27 PM
Who gives a rip? What I REALLY want is Maya UNLIMITED for OSX. Ive been waaaaaiting.......

Maya complete is great and all, but what I really want is some fur and some liquid and some Maya Live already!

etoiles
Jul 28, 2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by agreenster
Who gives a rip? What I REALLY want is Maya UNLIMITED for OSX. Ive been waaaaaiting.......

Maya complete is great and all, but what I really want is some fur and some liquid and some Maya Live already!

I hear ya... but just on a sidenote, for the price of Maya Unlimited you can get Maya Complete+Shave and Haircut (much better than standard maya fur)+Syflex Cloth Simulator (better than maya cloth I think) and still save $2000.-

You don't get Fluid Effects and Live Match Moving (not sure if there is any OSX software/plugins for this), but depending on what you do (for example if you work mainly on characters) it might be a better solution than Unlimited. The biggest problem I see is possible compatibility issues if you have to open up Unlimited (PC) files on a mac... makes it kind of a pain to work in a mixed environment.

Mac Kiwi
Jul 29, 2003, 05:24 AM
The G5 might open up some doors in that area guys :D

I am kinda partial to XSI myself {I use C4D},but MS own part of Softimage I believe so that wont be coming to the Mac anytime soon.Discreet is barn storming towards the high end market as well,so I see more price battles ahead.

Stu.

etoiles
Jul 29, 2003, 10:15 AM
Let's hope so...
acutally, M$ used to own Softimage, they sold it once the PC was established as a 3D platform. Avid owns it now. I still don't see a mac version there anytime soon. Same goes for Discreet and 3DSmax, unless they rewrite that whole damn thing.

Not sure about the price battles, though. Margins are already pretty thin as it is right now, especially since the massive price drops last year. I think it is going to be more of a feature war now, which is a good thing, too :D

But things don't look too bad for 3D on the mac in general right now, with Kaydara dropping linux support in favour of OSX, Luxology and Pixar praising the G5/OSX, Maya, Lightwave, Cinema4D, Zbrush...almost too many toys to play with.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 29, 2003, 10:23 AM
I'm using Lightwave and can't wait to give it a try on a G5. With the next LW update around the corner, v8, things will definitely be getting better for 3D on the mac. :D

D

agreenster
Jul 29, 2003, 02:05 PM
Shave and a Haircut plugin isnt available for Maya on OSX, is it?

etoiles
Jul 29, 2003, 03:00 PM
doh !

apparently it is 'temporarily unavailable for maya OSX'
:eek:

JesseJames
Jul 29, 2003, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I'm a Lightwave driver here. It's a damn good program. The renderer is still the envy of most others.
At times I do look at Maya and Softimage with envy. But I know that a program like Lightwave in the hands of a great artist can more than hold its own against them.

Mac Kiwi
Jul 29, 2003, 07:25 PM
Lightwave would be my next choice unless I was rich and then maybe Mirai :D

Bodypaint 3D ver 2 has just been released,I for one will be upgrading :D

http://www.maxon.net/usa/index.html

Good news from Siggraph - The G5 is flying in Pixars booth :D

Dual Xeon 2.8 icc 4.04

Dual G5 2ghz gcc 3.36

The Pixar guys are talking of getting more out of it yet as well....

I base the price war on the fact that the market is getting really squeezed.I think Max may be fighting for survival,and I base that on the fact that LW and C4D are still growing quickly as is Maya I believe,so someone must be losing customers,either that or the market is expanding hugely.

Stu.