Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troubleshooting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Title pretty much explains it - my imac won't recognise my Sony DCR-HC15E camera. No icon on the desktop - apparently the firewire bus sees it, only the finder can't/won't - the FW bus registers:

FireWire Bus:
Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
DCR-HC15E:
Manufacturer: Sony
Model: 0x3800C5
GUID: 0x800460103138EF3
Maximum Speed: Up to 100 Mb/sec
Connection Speed: Unknown
Sub-units:
DV-VCR Unit:
Unit Software Version: 0x10001
Unit Spec ID: 0xA02Dbrand new firewire cable, toggle set to VCR, imac running 10.4.10

The sony website doesn't have a mac driver for the camera, with previous sony video cams it's just been plug and play - even on my old sage G3 450.

FW cable is new, camera is set to VCR, system is listed above. Again, the finder doesn't see the camera.

Anyone got an idea on what might get me up and running - I'm open to anything, even abuse if it's going to help?

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
It appears that your iMac DOES recognize the camera since it does show up in System Profiler. But why were you expecting for an icon to show up on the desktop? If you have iMovie, FCE or FCP you should be able to launch one of those programs and capture footage from the camera.

-DH

troubleshooting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
It appears that your iMac DOES recognize the camera since it does show up in System Profiler. But why were you expecting for an icon to show up on the desktop? If you have iMovie, FCE or FCP you should be able to launch one of those programs and capture footage from the camera.-DH

Agree that it does see it, sure. Might be old school thinking, but 'normally or historically' you get a camera icon on the desktop when you connect a camera to an imac.

This aside, there's no option to open files from it using any software - imovie, idvd etc. just don't see it.

If I choose to import video all I get is a finder window with no camera in the menu - there's just no way to access the data on the camera at all.

Previously All I did was plug a sony camera into an imac and bam, imovie would open and away I went. I also got an icon on the desktop.

But with this thing the finder can't locate it - copy and paste the letters DCR-HC15E I come up with nada, even in a new finder search, which is way weird since the sytem profiler obviously knows it's there.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
I've been using Macs for editing since the mid-OS 9 period through OS 10.4.10. While I've never used iMovie, it is installed on my systems. Never, ever have I seen a camera icon on the desktop with any camera I've used.

I do use FCP (since version 2.0 in 2001). With the camera powered on and in VTR mode, I launch FCP, open the Log & Capture window and log the clip(s) from the camera's tape, then capture. Leaving the camera on during the edit process, it serves as a D-A converter so I can view my editing work on an external NTSC monitor. No where during those processes does a camera icon ever appear on the desktop. Perhaps that's an iMovie only thing.

-DH

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Just as an aside Wintel refers to a computer running Microsoft Windows with an Intel CPU. Unless you are running Bootcamp to do your video editing then your iMac is not a Wintel computer.

As for the editing, your camera is a miniDV based camcorder which means that in order to get files from it you must import in iMovie via Firewire. There is no way to drag and drop video files with a miniDV based camera as far as I am aware.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Tape-based cameras won't show on your desktop. HDD and Flash cameras will mount as a drive. Nothing is wrong, open iMovie and your cam should be recognized right away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.