PDA

View Full Version : iBook ram in a MacBook?

joshysquashy
Jul 30, 2007, 05:26 AM
I currently own a 1.33Ghz iBook G4 and was wondering if the 1GB ram I bought from crucial would work in a MacBook 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo?

Basically I am thinking of swapping the ram in my iBook with a MacBook if I choose to buy one.

I looked on the Crucial website and this is what it recommends:

iBook
1GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR PC2700 memory module
CT532327
Module Size: 1GB
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR PC2700
Specs: DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64

MacBook
1GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module
CT685395
Module Size: 1GB
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300
Specs: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

Are the two compatible, will it under-perform, or simply not work?

Many thanks

Scarlet Fever
Jul 30, 2007, 05:33 AM
I could be wrong, but I think the two RAM cards have slots in different places, which means even if it could technically work (which it wouldn't), it wouldn't physically fit.

MacBook RAM isn't too much anyway. If you're looking to recover some money, you might want to consider selling the iBook, as they still fetch a few hundred dollars :)

Nick012
Jul 30, 2007, 05:35 AM
Why exactly would you want to do this? The macbook you're talking about already comes with 1gb of ram. Also its DDR2 667mhz which is way faster than DDR 333. It might work but it certainly wouldn't be ideal.
tl;dr: Strikes me as a bit of an odd idea

joshysquashy
Jul 30, 2007, 05:37 AM
Why exactly would you want to do this? The macbook you're talking about already comes with 1gb of ram. Also its DDR2 667mhz which is way faster than DDR 333. It might work but it certainly wouldn't be ideal.
tl;dr: Strikes me as a bit of an odd idea

It comes with 2x512MB ram. If I swap 1x512MB with my 1GB card, it would have 1.5GB total, would this be better or worse than 1GB? Taking into account the speed... would it even work?

joshysquashy
Jul 30, 2007, 05:45 AM
Ok, found this on the Crucial website, might be useful for someone else:

Memory is designed to be backward-compatible, so generally speaking, you can safely add faster memory to a computer that was designed to run slower memory. However, your system will operate at the speed of the slowest module or system component (the "lowest common denominator" effect).

One thing to keep in mind is that the memory does need to be the same type — for example, SDRAM cannot be mixed with DDR, and DDR cannot be mixed with DDR2. We recommend that you use the Crucial Memory Advisor™ or System Scanner tools to find the right memory for your computer.

So an iBook uses DDR ram, MacBook uses DDR2 ram. These won't work together. Problem solved. I will need to buy ram if I want it. How much ram does a MacBook need, probs 1.5GB is a decent amount?

G4DP
Jul 30, 2007, 05:46 AM
As all of the reasons mentioned by other members, and the fat that they are different Voltages. You never mix voltages of RAM. Can be nasty, have never seen the results first hand, but have heard you can frazzle the mb

Nick012
Jul 30, 2007, 05:52 AM
So an iBook uses DDR ram, MacBook uses DDR2 ram. These won't work together. Problem solved. I will need to buy ram if I want it. How much ram does a MacBook need, probs 1.5GB is a decent amount?

if you get 2 gigs (which is stupidly cheap these days) then you'll benefit from the dual channelness (it'll go faster)

joshysquashy
Jul 30, 2007, 05:55 AM
if you get 2 gigs (which is stupidly cheap these days) then you'll benefit from the dual channelness (it'll go faster)

yea, ram for a MacBook is a lot cheaper than for an iBook - about half the price! So maybe I will spend £60 on the 2GB kit from Crucial.

kusanagi
Jul 30, 2007, 07:19 AM
It's very simple, your iBook uses ddr1 ram. whereas a macbook (actually, any macbook) uses ddr2 ram, which is also suprisingly cheaper.